will you marry someone with different religion

The real life drama forum. Discuss your relationships or get to know the other members here.

will you marry someone with different religion

YES
65%
NO
35%

Total votes: 278

AboutDrama

Post by AboutDrama » Feb 27th, '07, 05:40

meera wrote:
hurm...it's going 2 be hard though...unless he convert his religion..
im a muslim btw....if he really love me then off course he's willing 2 do so aite..??!!
IMO, this is unreasonable request . If you love him why don't you convert your religion instead of him? My point is if you love him, then you should give him the freedom to choose what he wants to do. Use love to force/manipulate him to convert or to join other religion, to me, it kinda... selfish... Sorry for being rude. :sorry:

Auty
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Auty » Feb 27th, '07, 05:59

^^ Actually Muslim girls can't marry non-Muslim guys..
But assuming the guy should convert to marry you is not right anyways, if he doesn't truly accept the religion for Allah, but instead for some girl, then that is not a good reason to convert and it will be like he isn't converting at all.. so their marriage would still be invalid. It wouldn't last in most cases anyways because they don't care about applying it to their lives truly and problems concerning that would pop up in the future..

But then again, if you are dating a non-Muslim guy in the first place you aren't following the religion so maybe there wouldn't be problems? But I mean if you are saying the guy has to convert to marry you.. if you don't follow Islam anyways why insist on making someone else follow it?

Ueda Jiro
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Ueda Jiro » Feb 27th, '07, 06:10

I'm a non-religious person so I don't really care if I marry someone of a different religion (it's going to be different anyway, unless she is non-religious as well). If I really love her, then that's all that matters.

natasjageill

Post by natasjageill » Mar 5th, '07, 19:24

I won't marry a danish >.<
NO WAY! Okay, well.. I can't see 10 or 20 years from now, can i?
But honestly.. Danish guys are really boring :cry:

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Mar 5th, '07, 21:49

natasjageill wrote:I won't marry a danish >.<
NO WAY! Okay, well.. I can't see 10 or 20 years from now, can i?
But honestly.. Danish guys are really boring :cry:
i like this post, im not sure why but i do.

my take, for people who are really religious, i find it strange that they don't feel god wouldn't accept someone outside their "clique". For me, my understanding of faith has always been that a supreme being would have supreme understanding, and therefore understand if a person is good or not, and thus accept their non belief i him. not accepting someones doubt is ego, its petty, its mean spirited, and its not "divine". so to me, even though my wife is not my religion, i feel god understands, because she is a good person, so he'd be open to her, wheter or not she understood all the litte rules people put forth for him. Because all the rules we have in our religions are people's interpetations of divine things and what is necessary, not the booming voice from the heaven's.

so to me, the person is more important than their earthbound believes i gues....

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Mar 5th, '07, 22:02

I had an orange danish for breakfast.

sparkle16

Post by sparkle16 » Mar 5th, '07, 23:52

i could marry someone of a different religion...as long as they keep an open mind on how to raise our kids. i want them to be able to choose for themselves whether they want to be christian, buddhist, muslim, or whatever they desire.

AboutDrama

Post by AboutDrama » Mar 6th, '07, 04:16

Fo
r me, my understanding of faith has always been that a supreme being would have supreme understanding, and therefore understand if a person is good or not, and thus accept their non belief i him. not accepting someones doubt is ego, its petty, its mean spirited, and its not "divine". so to me, even though my wife is not my religion, i feel god understands, because she is a good person, so he'd be open to her, wheter or not she understood all the litte rules people put forth for him. Because all the rules we have in our religions are people's interpetations of divine things and what is necessary, not the booming voice from the heaven's.
Exactly! Well said, nikochanr3!

AboutDrama

Post by AboutDrama » Mar 6th, '07, 04:17

natasjageill wrote
But honestly.. Danish guys are really boring
I don't know any Danish guys but I'm curious... Why they're boring?

natasjageill

Post by natasjageill » Mar 6th, '07, 07:19

AboutDrama wrote:
natasjageill wrote
But honestly.. Danish guys are really boring
I don't know any Danish guys but I'm curious... Why they're boring?
Hmm.. I don't really know. They're just.. Boring! Yes :unsure:
They all look the same, and act the same.. And there just isn't anything special about them..
I don't know. Maybe it's just me xD And i've never been in love with one >.<

kampupot

Post by kampupot » Mar 9th, '07, 07:50

Yes, as long as I am madly, deeply in love with him :)

YamapisWifey

Post by YamapisWifey » Mar 9th, '07, 07:56

yes as long as they are not religious o_O

Nausicaa

Post by Nausicaa » Mar 19th, '07, 12:54

YamapisWifey wrote:yes as long as they are not religious o_O
Agree with you!

YaGaMi82

Post by YaGaMi82 » Mar 30th, '07, 01:09

I'm pleasantly suprised that there are many muslims on this board.

Back on topic as a Muslim I would not marry a girl that is not Muslim nor would I want a girl to convert to Islam just to be able to marry me, because that would mean she is converting for the wrong reasons. I would have no problem marrying someone outside of my ethnicity, my brother paved the way for me by marrying a Filipino.

The hard part is finding a Muslim girl in the UK who can put up with my love for Soccer, Games, Anime and Far East Asia Movies and Dramas.

When I do get married I have every intention of introducing the Korean Drama Full House to my future wife and try to get her hooked on dramas.

kuvli

Post by kuvli » Apr 2nd, '07, 21:22

i dont think i would mind much..... i think.....

bebemup

Post by bebemup » Apr 2nd, '07, 21:40

i really wouldn't mind at all, as long as they dont force me to follow their religion and as long as they respect my choice of religion. (:

cupcake

Post by cupcake » Apr 4th, '07, 19:00

If you love someone then you won't care about their religion. I would marry someone with different religion because if you love them then you wouldn't care about anything else. :D

DarnCat

Post by DarnCat » Apr 4th, '07, 19:33

lol nawya ma3ach hehe :D

I would marry him not only if he has a diffrent religion but also even if he is from another planet .. "it doesn't matter" as long as we like each other .. :lol

notimeforfairytales

Post by notimeforfairytales » Apr 4th, '07, 19:36

I don't think I would let religion stop me from marrying the guy I love. Though I don't think I could ever be with a person who live and breathe for their religion. Simple because I'm an atheist, and that stuff might be a bit too heavy for me. But then again, it would probably be fine as long as he wouldn't force his religion on me.. hmm.

isbes83

Post by isbes83 » Apr 4th, '07, 19:43

love and religion! definitely religion cause that is the sole reason why i am living right now! for GOD! God create me to worship him. and when i'm dead religion is the only thing that i can have and carry when i'm dead. religion will be part of me eternally!

littlemafia

Post by littlemafia » Apr 5th, '07, 12:54

i can marry him..
but he hv to convert.. :-)

just my case onLy.. (n_n)v

sourgrape

Post by sourgrape » Apr 5th, '07, 13:05

Gozen wrote:I wouldn't marry anybody who seriously followed any religion at all. If they follow a religion, they are almost inevitably intolerant, brain-washed, unrealistic, narrow-minded and, with some religions, cruel. Their parents are likely to be even worse. For me, religion = bad attitude to everyone who doesn't follow it, and most especially religion = anti-woman. I've never come across a religion that didn't try to sujugate, humiliate or discriminate against women. That's because religions are man-made and therefore subject to all the petty-minded and illogical practices that men can come up with. No, that's not an anti-male rant, it's just what happens when human nature is left in charge of the way people are meant to live.

amen ...lol.....i beleve in god , but not in religion . i find religion is just another catogary that ppl use as excuse to discriminate against other ppl wif , and instead of briniging ppl togather , it can in many situations cause wars .....wheres the love and harmoney ......

if he believes in religion its kool wif me , but as long as he dosent try to impose those views on me and the kids , and because he belives it would be hard not to impose views , and hence lead to huge fights and probablly degridation of marriage and lead to divorce ....want someone to share similar opinions abt religion as me so we dnt fight ...hehehehe

Ore.Sama

Post by Ore.Sama » Apr 9th, '07, 23:25

Auty wrote:^^ Actually Muslim girls can't marry non-Muslim guys..
But assuming the guy should convert to marry you is not right anyways, if he doesn't truly accept the religion for Allah, but instead for some girl, then that is not a good reason to convert and it will be like he isn't converting at all.. so their marriage would still be invalid. It wouldn't last in most cases anyways because they don't care about applying it to their lives truly and problems concerning that would pop up in the future..

But then again, if you are dating a non-Muslim guy in the first place you aren't following the religion so maybe there wouldn't be problems? But I mean if you are saying the guy has to convert to marry you.. if you don't follow Islam anyways why insist on making someone else follow it?
yup I totally agree with you... no1 should convert just for some girl... but I think you missed one thing here... yes you're not following the religion if you're dating anyways but it is less more serious than marrying a non-muslim guy... this is like TOTALLY forbidden right? what you're saying is that ok you already crossed the line, why don't you go a bit further. well don't missunderstand me, I'm not saying that dating isn't a serious sin in Islam either, yes it is and i'm against it
DarnCat wrote:lol nawya ma3ach hehe :D
I would marry him not only if he has a diffrent religion but also even if he is from another planet .. "it doesn't matter" as long as we like each other .. :lol
What do you mean by that?? If you wheren't a Muslem I would say ok, since most religions don't have to convert when marrying from any other religion. But being a Muslim women you should be well aware that marrying some1 from other religions means giving up your own... and even if you were just kidding, it means that you're taking your religion lightly... anyways, it's your own freedom, just had to point that out coz I was really dissapointed.

Well well, sorry for going off topic... now to comment on this I would say (as you have alreadyy guessed :P ) DEFENETLY WON'T even if I could.
I was really surprised by pplz comments, like what does marriage have to do with religion. Ofcourse it does... different religion = clashes in beliefs = arguments and dissagreements. Now it depends, if you're the type of person who like to have sensitive arguments and not have much in cummon with your partner, or just not religous then it's not a problem i guess, but I believe that marriage is about understanding and having a peacfull life... having love only doesn't solve your problems (like clashes in your beliefs in this case)
Some ppl said that it's a nice opportunity to get to know different religions and cultures. Well can't you research about the religion and just know as much... you can also have freinds from different religions... it doensn't have to go as far as marriage.
It's not that I'm closed minded, on the contrary I respect others beleifs and religions... and sometimes in discussions with my non-muslim friends I don't comment on things in their relligion if I feel like it would hurt them... would you do the same thing with your partner... just nod and smile :scratch: for how long would this last?
And ofcours if you had any children in the future it would just be worse, coz it's not only a matter of "choosing" the religion, it's about based on which culture are you gonna raise them, both? I don't see that happening.

eomot

Post by eomot » Apr 9th, '07, 23:31

I am a Klingon and I'd still be willing to marry one of your earth females

littlemafia

Post by littlemafia » Apr 25th, '07, 14:51

YaGaMi82 wrote:I'm pleasantly suprised that there are many muslims on this board.

Back on topic as a Muslim I would not marry a girl that is not Muslim nor would I want a girl to convert to Islam just to be able to marry me, because that would mean she is converting for the wrong reasons. I would have no problem marrying someone outside of my ethnicity, my brother paved the way for me by marrying a Filipino.

The hard part is finding a Muslim girl in the UK who can put up with my love for Soccer, Games, Anime and Far East Asia Movies and Dramas.

When I do get married I have every intention of introducing the Korean Drama Full House to my future wife and try to get her hooked on dramas.
hehe.. yeah.. u better!! i watched FH 3X already...
and when i watched My Girl start addict with Junki..

every1 hv their opi.. but like i said b4.. muslim cant change their religion..
but still i can friend with any religion any races..
make friendship.. ---> relationship.. i will..
as long he believe with Islam..i'll marry him (n_n)v

Bodha

Post by Bodha » May 6th, '07, 17:03

Ore.Sama wrote:What do you mean by that?? If you wheren't a Muslem I would say ok, since most religions don't have to convert when marrying from any other religion. But being a Muslim women you should be well aware that marrying some1 from other religions means giving up your own.
I am curious about this - is it okay or not okay for a Muslim woman to get married to a man who converts to Islam? And Muslim men can marry a non-Muslim woman without basically losing their religion, is that right?
Other than that... cool views on marriage, clever thinking overall. ^_^

And, in a very belated reply to gs56cb - sorry, your post was too inconsistent for me to be able to give a proper consistent reply, so I am just going to address a few points.
~~
If it was the man that was born from the women and the man that persuaded the women to sin, then it would be against men, wouldn't it?
Yes, it would be.
You say: why is it upon me to right your ways?, but: what is it upon you to know what God should do? What is it upon you to tell God what to do and how to act?

It is rather mind-boggling to be telling someone who does not believe in God's existence to not tell him what to do.

Cutting all the snark to everything else you wrote.

Hanmaybj

Post by Hanmaybj » May 17th, '07, 03:00

Ill try to clear it up a little bit.

First off, Muslim men are allowed to Marry "people of the book" meaning Christian's and Jews, no Buddhists, atheists etc and even then the Christian or Jew should be a chaste person.

Muslim women are only allowed to Marry Muslim men.

In both cases it is acceptable for the non-muslim to convert to Islam, but it has to be a real conversion. (Usually this is not preferred.)

I understand how some Women might get frustrated thinking its unfair, but I have seen some Muslim women who Married Muslim men and really the religion was completely lost.

Even when some Men I knew Married Non-Muslims their religion was weakened but not lost.

My father married my mother when she was still Christian but now she has been a Muslim for over 20 years and she is very religious.

I just wanted to say, more power to the Muslim girls who maintain their beliefs :cheers:

horndogbuddhist

Post by horndogbuddhist » May 17th, '07, 03:16

It's all a matter of preference and love. I love my GF very much. I am not Christian while being an American. She is Korean and is Christian. SO it really doesn't matter whether religion plays any part in our relationship. All that matters is that she respects and understands my Buddhist beliefs and I respect and acknowledge her Christian beliefs. In the end, there are only a few "recognized" religions that only accept particular religious beliefs into their fold; one of them being Mormons and Catholic Christians. In the end, I believe that it really doesn't matter who and what religious background, or race, or gender, or ANYTHING for that matter a person is from, all that matters is the feelings between the two people.

loosc

Post by loosc » May 17th, '07, 03:23

how am i supposed to love a man who doesn't love my God?

Bodha

Post by Bodha » May 17th, '07, 07:42

@Hanmaybj: thank you very much for your explanation! Though this makes me think that it is assumed that women are more likely to give up their religion, which is quite a generalisation. It's also interesting that the book religions are accepted more, but this is understandable, because they have a link to Islam.
I'm guessing that women cannot marry outside their religion because way back, when you gave your daughter away for marriage, she was lost to you, and if she ended up falling away from her religion, it would be something her family cannot influence any more, but it would still cause shame to them.
In the end, there are only a few "recognized" religions that only accept particular religious beliefs into their fold; one of them being Mormons and Catholic Christians.
@horndogbuddhist: I don't understand; I live in a predominantly Catholic country, and I haven't heard that Catholics are forbidden to marry outside their specific belief. There are even regulations for when you are allowed to get married in a church despite not being a Catholic (or even Christian).

Mwulf

Post by Mwulf » May 17th, '07, 07:46

o__O

This is a really, really big thread. Which seems pretty odd to me, considering Kstar pretty much answered the question perfectly in the second post.
kstar wrote:If you love them, then why should that stuff matter? I mean if it conflicts with your relationship, then i don't think its love.
So yeah, that's what I agree with. :P

littlemafia

Post by littlemafia » May 17th, '07, 08:13

Hanmaybj wrote:
First off, Muslim men are allowed to Marry "people of the book" meaning Christian's and Jews, no Buddhists, atheists etc and even then the Christian or Jew should be a chaste person.

can i know where u get this information??? :glare:

dont 4get to clear bout something b4 u post or it'll make misunderstand..

actually 4 muslim.. whether u're male or female u're allow to marry with some1 who is not muslim.. but d partner u want 2 marry must convert to islam..
there r no excuse.. n there is no such things d man is muslim n d women is other religion n they can married...
n if they married, the children they get is not legal in islam..
is the fact n i dont want any1 of u is confused or scared...

besides every1 hv their religion n thought just dont offend any other ppl who diff with ur religion...

hope its clear.. n i'm not emo.. (n_n)v

ToPsYtUrVy

Post by ToPsYtUrVy » May 17th, '07, 08:19

Im curious about whether the same question applies to people who are unreligious completely(atheists). Would MORE or LESS be willing to marry someone like that if they were themselves religious.

melancholic witch

Post by melancholic witch » May 17th, '07, 08:31

Yep! It wouldn't be a problem as long as we do RESPECT each others differences when it comes to the religion that we believe and practice.

Also as long as we are both faithful to our religion, it wouldn't matter

I think the only problem is when it comes to the child

Hanmaybj

Post by Hanmaybj » May 18th, '07, 02:04

littlemafia wrote:
Hanmaybj wrote:

can i know where u get this information??? :glare:

dont 4get to clear bout something b4 u post or it'll make misunderstand..

actually 4 muslim.. whether u're male or female u're allow to marry with some1 who is not muslim.. but d partner u want 2 marry must convert to islam..
there r no excuse.. n there is no such things d man is muslim n d women is other religion n they can married...
n if they married, the children they get is not legal in islam..
is the fact n i dont want any1 of u is confused or scared...

besides every1 hv their religion n thought just dont offend any other ppl who diff with ur religion...

hope its clear.. n i'm not emo.. (n_n)v
Salam

Actually, there is no debate about what I said. It is from the Quran, Sura Al Ma'ida (5:6)

"This day all innately good things are lawful for you…Lawful to you are the chaste women from among those who have been given the Book before you. . . ." (i.e. Jews and Christians). "

The law specifically mentions muhsanaat -- chaste females (from the People of the Book); it did not say muhsaneen -- chaste males.

Like I said there is no debate, search it anywhere ask any sheikh.

Here is one website on this: http://www.irfi.org/questions_answers/m ... muslim.htm

kamen_rider_blue

Post by kamen_rider_blue » May 18th, '07, 02:55

Hi, I'm new here.... :D

actually i was bout to search a dorama here, but then i saw this thread and i found it attractive....

well, :unsure: ...since i used to have a boyfriend, he's a catholic and i'm a muslim. both of us know that if we're together someday it wil bring troubles, his family has a very strong roots of catholics....but ya know....love , like what it says, love blinded everything....i hve never had such feeling like this before. :wub: ..then we decided that, okay, we're dating out but secretly from everyone, :unsure:

but those happy days not last for long, we broke up after 3 weeks together, :cry: he says his mom finds out and she told him to make it over the relationship, just because we're different....

at first i just can't take it but then i realised when it comes to parents, it's like penalty, it something that i can't bargain....and that's why i accepted his decision.....

though i feel a very deep scar in my heart but then because i love him then i let him go, i kept thinking that it's because THE RELIGION that we broke up....until... :x

I find him dating another girl, :O which is MUSLIM too, :roll just like me!!!! how can i be so sure? well, i know the girl very well, she's one of my friend, and the worst is i'm the one who introduce her to him......hahhaha

ya know, :glare: he even post a pic with his new gf on friendster, something that he didn't do when he was with me because he said he was affraid that his sister would notice it and that she would report to their mom that he's dating someone from other religion... :glare:

now it's clear to me that, he's nothing but a hipocrit :x .....he said he loves his mom and sister that's why he decided to break up with me, he said that he embarrased if he have a muslim gf, but now he's showing everyone that he proud having a muslim girl.

i really don't know what's in his mind, but one thing for sure that it's not about the religion but it's bout the personality of the person himself that made me sick! :x he speak for his mother, sister,religion's sake but the truth is none of his word true...that what make me sick... :x hontou ni kimochi waruin desu!! hehe

well, i don't give s*** about that, it just give me one point that it's not the religion but it's us, human who decide to embrace it....i think every religion which is given purely from the Up Above a.k.a GOD in this world will never teach bad thing to the people who embrace it, it depend to the people in how to execute the lessons they've gain into their life and their society. :D

p.s sorryfor giving such a long opinion for my first post...nice to meet ya all guys :-)

Liantasse

Post by Liantasse » May 18th, '07, 18:13

kamen_rider_blue wrote: i really don't know what's in his mind, but one thing for sure that it's not about the religion but it's bout the personality of the person himself that made me sick! :x he speak for his mother, sister,religion's sake but the truth is none of his word true...that what make me sick... :x hontou ni kimochi waruin desu!! hehe

well, i don't give s*** about that, it just give me one point that it's not the religion but it's us, human who decide to embrace it....i think every religion which is given purely from the Up Above a.k.a GOD in this world will never teach bad thing to the people who embrace it, it depend to the people in how to execute the lessons they've gain into their life and their society. :D
Well said, kamen_rider_blue!! :-) And I'm really glad you saw him for the hypocrite that he was and didn't regret him anymore. He doesn't seem to deserve you suffering one bit for him. And I hope you'll find someone who will value you for who you are and will love you in all honesty! :-)

stear375

Post by stear375 » May 20th, '07, 12:54

Hanmaybj wrote:Ill try to clear it up a little bit.

In both cases it is acceptable for the non-muslim to convert to Islam, but it has to be a real conversion. (Usually this is not preferred.)

I understand how some Women might get frustrated thinking its unfair, but I have seen some Muslim women who Married Muslim men and really the religion was completely lost.

Even when some Men I knew Married Non-Muslims their religion was weakened but not lost.

My father married my mother when she was still Christian but now she has been a Muslim for over 20 years and she is very religious.

I just wanted to say, more power to the Muslim girls who maintain their beliefs :cheers:
I seriously don't know where did you learn all this. You just make peoploe confuse about Islam. Muslim men or women CANNOT marry someobody who are NOT muslim...unless that somebody converted to Islam first. What 'people of the book?' Yeah, I heard Islam can marry a 'kind of people' but that 'kind of people' is no longer exists in this world, not Christian, not Jewish. Marry somebody who is not a muslim (for both gender) is considered a serious sin. What would happen if that woman did not convert to Islam?? You will continue making the sin. And the children born is invalid because the marriage is invalid. Islam is a FAIR religion, you know. I know all this because I am a Muslim, since born till now. My grandfather is a Muslim and my grandmother was a Chinese and she converted to Islam before she married my grandpa. What I'm trying to say here is if you're muslim and you want to marry somebody who is not a muslim (Christian, Jews, atheis, Buddhist etc), you can with a condition he or she must convert before you married. Thank you!

P/s There's still many women in my country who maintains their belief even though they married other races...

Hanmaybj

Post by Hanmaybj » May 20th, '07, 18:31

stear375 wrote:
Hanmaybj wrote:Ill try to clear it up a little bit.

I seriously don't know where did you learn all this. You just make peoploe confuse about Islam. Muslim men or women CANNOT marry someobody who are NOT muslim...unless that somebody converted to Islam first. What 'people of the book?' Yeah, I heard Islam can marry a 'kind of people' but that 'kind of people' is no longer exists in this world, not Christian, not Jewish. Marry somebody who is not a muslim (for both gender) is considered a serious sin. What would happen if that woman did not convert to Islam?? You will continue making the sin. And the children born is invalid because the marriage is invalid. Islam is a FAIR religion, you know. I know all this because I am a Muslim, since born till now. My grandfather is a Muslim and my grandmother was a Chinese and she converted to Islam before she married my grandpa. What I'm trying to say here is if you're muslim and you want to marry somebody who is not a muslim (Christian, Jews, atheis, Buddhist etc), you can with a condition he or she must convert before you married. Thank you!

P/s There's still many women in my country who maintains their belief even though they married other races...
I am not confusing anyone. I am also a Muslim and have been all my life. My father is an Imam, but thats beside the point. I am not going to bother trying to convince you, you seem to be set in your beliefs. There is a verse in the Quran that says Muslim men may marry chaste women from the "people of the book". Saying that these people no longer exists means that chaste Christians and Jews no longer exist?

I am not speaking in ignorance, nor am I speaking out of just hearing something. I have spoken to many Sheikh's and read much literature on this issue. As I mentioned, there is really no debate about this issue.

In the case that the Women does not convert the child will take the religion of his/her father.

stear375

Post by stear375 » May 21st, '07, 06:26

Hanmaybj wrote:
I am not confusing anyone. I am also a Muslim and have been all my life. My father is an Imam, but thats beside the point. I am not going to bother trying to convince you, you seem to be set in your beliefs. There is a verse in the Quran that says Muslim men may marry chaste women from the "people of the book". Saying that these people no longer exists means that chaste Christians and Jews no longer exist?

I am not speaking in ignorance, nor am I speaking out of just hearing something. I have spoken to many Sheikh's and read much literature on this issue. As I mentioned, there is really no debate about this issue.

In the case that the Women does not convert the child will take the religion of his/her father.
What do you mean by chaste anyway?? I'm also not speaking in ignorance I have asked many 'ustaz' (I don't know what terms you use but it refers to somebody who is experts in religion),and I have also asked many people that study at Al-Azhar University. I even read Quran translation. From what I know we can only marry another Muslim or as I mentioned before ' a kind of people' (or chaste men and women). They lived before the existance of Islam but have belief in Allah. That's why we can marry them because both have the same belief. However, they're no longer exist now. Can you make sure that there are Christian and Jews that are totally chaste and have full faith in Allah??

I'm not trying to debate here, just state something I know, something that I learnt because this is about religion. And I'm not set in my belief. I think of the logic before I accept something, especially in religion. It's stupid to follow without knowing anything. I'm also not trying to convince anybody, it's up to individu to do their own thinking.

I don't know if this is cause you have different sect. I'm following Shafie sect and what's yours? I respect your opinion and I don't want to create chaos because we both Muslim. Thank you!

stear375

Post by stear375 » May 21st, '07, 07:33

kamen_rider_blue wrote:Hi, I'm new here.... :D

actually i was bout to search a dorama here, but then i saw this thread and i found it attractive....

well, :unsure: ...since i used to have a boyfriend, he's a catholic and i'm a muslim. both of us know that if we're together someday it wil bring troubles, his family has a very strong roots of catholics....but ya know....love , like what it says, love blinded everything....i hve never had such feeling like this before. :wub: ..then we decided that, okay, we're dating out but secretly from everyone, :unsure:

but those happy days not last for long, we broke up after 3 weeks together, :cry: he says his mom finds out and she told him to make it over the relationship, just because we're different....

at first i just can't take it but then i realised when it comes to parents, it's like penalty, it something that i can't bargain....and that's why i accepted his decision.....

though i feel a very deep scar in my heart but then because i love him then i let him go, i kept thinking that it's because THE RELIGION that we broke up....until... :x

I find him dating another girl, :O which is MUSLIM too, :roll just like me!!!! how can i be so sure? well, i know the girl very well, she's one of my friend, and the worst is i'm the one who introduce her to him......hahhaha

ya know, :glare: he even post a pic with his new gf on friendster, something that he didn't do when he was with me because he said he was affraid that his sister would notice it and that she would report to their mom that he's dating someone from other religion... :glare:

now it's clear to me that, he's nothing but a hipocrit :x .....he said he loves his mom and sister that's why he decided to break up with me, he said that he embarrased if he have a muslim gf, but now he's showing everyone that he proud having a muslim girl.

i really don't know what's in his mind, but one thing for sure that it's not about the religion but it's bout the personality of the person himself that made me sick! :x he speak for his mother, sister,religion's sake but the truth is none of his word true...that what make me sick... :x hontou ni kimochi waruin desu!! hehe

p.s sorryfor giving such a long opinion for my first post...nice to meet ya all guys :-)
I'm totally agree with you, human are hypocrite. Not all but some. Don't worry, if you don't get this time, you will get later, much better than him and that time you'll feel glad he did that to you. Life is unique, full of challanges and it must go on :)

littlemafia

Post by littlemafia » May 26th, '07, 14:17

yeah.. he so unlucky becoz leaving u...
nvm.. he already show his trueself..

good luck kamen_rider :thumright:

p/s: thanks stear375 4ur comment..

stear375 wrote:P/s There's still many women in my country who maintains their belief even though they married other races...
hurm... hopefully someday they know.. n their husband will guide them..

angelarce

Post by angelarce » Sep 20th, '07, 09:37

I'm an atheist but I've been baptized a catholic. I don't think i'll be able to stay with someone who is religious because I don't believe in such things. i don't think my ideas will fit with his. I believe in tolerance and respect to others and this is usually not the lesson which religions are teaching. i don't think i'll be able to stay with someone who thinks God(or whoever) created the universe in 7 days or who thinks that homosexuals are not "persons",etc...

maradhel

Post by maradhel » Oct 13th, '07, 03:52

well, I'm a catholic girl and i have been in love of one Mormon boy, It's so sad because we can't be any, our parents prohibits our relationship :cry:

azngirl911

Post by azngirl911 » Oct 13th, '07, 04:22

for me...i most likely will not end up marrying someone of a dif religion
i've seen a lot of problems wen others married a spouse of a dif religion
too many problems can occur when ppl hold dif beliefs...my family is a strong catholic family..cept my oldest bro who screwed up his marriage...i'm not gonna follow his footsteps. :glare:

KuroRyu

Post by KuroRyu » Oct 13th, '07, 11:45

the greatest religion for me is humanism, everything else is secondary... so if you like your partner as a person, then to me religion is like "favorite color" or "prefered spot to sit on a train, in the direction of the train's motion or with your back against the train's motion" or "whether you like to floss before or after you brush your teeth". You respect each others views and differences, and that's that.

love>all :cheers:

Vanilla_Spider__x

Post by Vanilla_Spider__x » Oct 16th, '07, 18:46

I'm agnostic- so I'd prefer to marry someone whose not religious.
Not because I dislike religious people- I definitely do not as long as they don't flaunt their faith in my face or worse- try to convert me.
It's just that we'd probably end up arguing about faith sooner or later- probably when kids come into the picture.

ethidda
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ethidda » Oct 16th, '07, 19:13

ditto on Vanilla Spider X.

I'm apathetic agnostic. Basically, I don't think it even matters. So, anybody of weak or no religious faith gets along well with me... Or as long as you don't try to convert me. If, however, you start telling me about why I'm going to suffer eternally and go to hell for some things... Well, we're just not going to get along.

chymali

Post by chymali » Oct 17th, '07, 05:34

To me, if someone was extremely religious, and takes everything they do into consideration with religion, it would matter greatly to me. I am not religious, and do not plan to become religious. If religion is part of their background, I suppose it is alright. However, if they are devote so and so, it would be difficult for me to be accepted as well as for me to share my thoughts on life, death, love, marriage and so on. Since religion seems to have such a big opinion on everything, I would say it is important to me if someone is religious or not.

andie

Post by andie » Oct 24th, '07, 08:22

yes, i would.. it doesn't matter if he has a different religion as long as we get along well..

Noale

Post by Noale » Oct 24th, '07, 17:26

Religion usually does have some influence on how well the two of you will get along.
I don't think I could ever marry someone who is extremely religious, because I'm sure my partner wouldn't be able to accept that I am not religious and would constantly bother me with his thoughts and ideas, trying to convince me. Apart from the level of dedication, I think it also depends on the religion itself. Certain morals and ideas go with certain religions, if you know what I mean.

jess22

Post by jess22 » Oct 24th, '07, 22:20

I would but only if he didn't try to convert me or force our children to be a certain religion.

I'm a Taoist/Buddhist mix. I practice both religions in a way, but Taoism is stronger because it ties into my culture and customs (e.g. praying to past ancestors, burning "dead people" money, etc.)

So as long as I can still do that, and he won't make me stop for force me to adopt his religion then yeah, I'd be ok with it.

However if we could be the same religion (or if he was more agnostic or atheist) that would be much, much easier.

summer_paris

Post by summer_paris » Oct 24th, '07, 22:57

having a religion is what helps and somewhat guide a person to how they are today hence loving them means accepting them for who they are and their believes i would know i'm in one right now. =)

exiguel88

Post by exiguel88 » Oct 30th, '07, 09:37

Absolutly not, diffrent ways of thinking in religion, diffrent thaughts about afterlife, diffrent thoughts about everything WILL lead to a horrible divorce experince for the kids. But if you do get married with someone with a diffrent religion, then i admire the love that's strong enough to focus more about the marriage then the religion (alot more).

eurazn_karry

Post by eurazn_karry » Apr 21st, '08, 14:42

The religion isn't a problem

tannl

Post by tannl » Apr 21st, '08, 18:53

i dont think that religions really matter in a relationship.

do you agree?

milleu87

Post by milleu87 » Apr 21st, '08, 19:10

Hmmm well I actually support Hanmaybj. Actually a Muslim men can marry women from Jews and Christian religion even if they don't convert at first because we have the same basic understanding. And in Islam it depends on men to guide their wife. It's hard to convert to a religion and that's why Islam gives time to do it.

Hanmaybj just saying that given the wife have intention to convert they are allowed to get married.

As for why women are not allow to marry men with different religion is because it's hard to advise your husband to do certain things and this is why for women the men must convert first.

p/s: I am muslim too.

Anyway I just think having the same religion is easier. because it's one less thing to fight over. However I practise religion in moderation and I can't stand ppl who are fanatic about it. It doesn't mean that I am biased to ppl who don't have the same religion as I am. I am tolerant and respectful about it.

In my family we never think less of our Chinese and Indian side family. They are Buddhist.Christian and Hindu. We still go to their home to celebrate each and single thing. No quarrel about food except pork and alcohol.

deshou

Post by deshou » Apr 24th, '08, 03:25

I voted yes, but actually think it depends on the religion and how religiously fanatic is the other person or family.

Even though I'm not really religious myself, I'm baptized and celebrate Christmas, so I'm not willing to convert to any other religions (I wouldn't want someone to convert because of me either). Also, I was not educated to feel less than anyone and no one guides my life for me. I expect my children to have the same freedom of choice.

saosung

Post by saosung » Apr 24th, '08, 03:52

yes i love her i dont care anything love mean lint

KawaiMelon

Post by KawaiMelon » Apr 24th, '08, 20:21

I wouldnt. Anymore. its very hard. I tired it. It did not work. And I miss him badly now. ...... :cry:

ttoo66

Post by ttoo66 » Apr 26th, '08, 13:13

stear375 wrote:
Hanmaybj wrote:

I don't know if this is cause you have different sect. I'm following Shafie sect and what's yours? I respect your opinion and I don't want to create chaos because we both Muslim. Thank you!
both of u are right. some of Islamic jurists say that people of the book have changed their book so they no longer as their forebears so it's unlawful in islam to marry them others say that even if they changed they still "people of the book".
and i believe with the second one cuz when prophet Mohammad was alive the books were changed already.
maybe the diff. is based in the different between the four juristic of islam and the understanding of the verse. btw "Sheikh" means also the expert or juristic in islam. they both refer to the same concept and "chaste" means not have a bf before marriage except if she regrets it and see it as a bad or an lawful "Taobah".
i think they still exist. i know an American woman and was Christian say that their family would punish her if they know she slept with a man before marriage.
maybe they are few. i don't know

as you guessed i'm Muslim & i wouldn't even if i could. my religion is a large part of my life that have to be share with the man whom love me.

Ruka707

Post by Ruka707 » Jul 8th, '08, 13:40

My family isn't religious, so I'd prefer to marry someone who's not religious either.

aimlesswanderer

Post by aimlesswanderer » Jul 10th, '08, 14:01

I'm not religious, and I doubt that I would get hitched to anyone who is devoutly religious.

fictionalistic

Post by fictionalistic » Feb 9th, '14, 02:10

Sure, I guess, so long as that person understands that I will most likely never get converted to an organized religion. I believe in pretty much anything that gets me through the day, and that about does it for me.