it has successfully met AND SURPASSED its expectations. many members enjoy conversing with one another and posting this section. PLEASE CONTINUE TO DO SO.
some threads, however, have grown TOO LARGE to moderate. when we receive complaints about off-topics, spam, racist remarks, threats, flames, etc, we are unable to split, merge, or do anything with these threads. also, the SEARCH WITHIN TOPIC function does not work, leaving almost no reason to have a massive thread.
the mods have all met and discussed this, and we have decided to LOCK these threads and DELETE them in 30 days. this will give you enough time to download any pictures or links that you want to from the original thread.
mizune wrote:Note: Threads over 100 pages long may be trimmed, edited, locked, and/or recreated without prior notice at the admin/moderators' discretion. Keeping threads at a manageable size is purely for housekeeping and forum administration purposes.
some of the reasons why these threads are soooo large are because:
1. pictures - we welcome members to share their pictures. but posting VERY LARGE pictures make it difficult to read the forum. use THUMBNAILS (photobucket). or hide your pictures with the SPOILER tag.
2. quoting - members use the 'quote' button too often instead of the 'post reply' button. do you need to quote the last 20 responses? i think people can tell who you are responding to. this is a waste of space.
3. consecutive posts - posting three or four or five times in a row ONLY A FEW MINUTES APART. please use the EDIT button instead ... unless it was a day or two after your previous post.
4. chatting - members are posting very short responses and using the forum like an instant messenger program. do this 50 - 1000 times and the thread can grow very large.
if you really want to chat, try this:
[spoiler]Setting up a D-addicts Friend:
1. Click on the blue "PROFILE" button along the top header bar. This should take you to the "Home" tab of your account settings.
2. Click on the "Profile" tab (next to the "Home" tab) to edit your personal information. This information can be public (visible to everybody), private (visible to nobody), or visible only to "friends/buddies".
3. To select which level of privacy you want, first click on the "Profile Settings" link. In the next window that opens, choose the "Privacy" option to select and customize your profile settings.
4. You can customize your profile settings however you like, but if you want to keep your IM info private from everyone but those you choose, make sure to that the "Display my messengers references" setting has the "only friends" option selected.
5. When you've finished your selections, hit the "Submit" button to save the settings.
6. To add a person to your Friends list, click on the "Buddy list" tab and add the usernames of anybody on this site you'd like to share your hidden information with.
7. To add your IM info, go back to the "Profiles" tab and click on the "Messengers" link. Add whatever info you like, and remember to hit the "Submit" button to save all your changes.[/spoiler]
PLEASE CREATE A NEW THREAD IF THE OLD ONE IS LOCKED. ENJOY YOURSELVES AND POST.
but if the thread grows too large, the mods will need to lock it, so please consider our suggestions above.