Hawaii D-Addicts

speak whatever language you like here.
jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Dec 3rd, '06, 07:53

it's 3AM here in the east coast, and i am still up watching the warriors play on espn. it looks like colt is having an off-game. too bad it has to be in the one game that i'm watching him play. they're losing 35-24 right now, but it's the 4th qtr, and i'm still hoping for the best!

meiohsetsuna
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by meiohsetsuna » Dec 9th, '06, 12:19

Ho~! Howzit?! Long time notalk... ^.^

Didn't know about the car accident.. heck, I hardly hear much about America anymore. I only found out about Britney Spear's divorce by opening up the BBC the other day... T.T

(It's nice to live in blissful ignorance!)

*looks back to last page* Public transportation is soooo awesome. After using the trains in Japan I want trains all over the world!!! Because of that I was all ready to hop on the bus when I was in Oahu for the day last summer. My Mom gave me faces and was like, "Uhhh, cab please?" And I was like, "Eh? Why you no like Da Bus?" ^.^ So yah, attitudes.

Heck, the ferry from Maui to the Big Island is suppossed to be up and running next year, and people been raising stink about that. That'll mean more cars travelling back and forth on those two islands... *shudder*

At any rate, looking forward to visiting home again in two weeks. Hawaiian winter is by far the BEST winter in the world!!! :wub:

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Dec 12th, '06, 01:47

meiohsetsuna wrote:At any rate, looking forward to visiting home again in two weeks. Hawaiian winter is by far the BEST winter in the world!!! :wub:
no ka oi. cannot disagree wid dat!

howzit, meioh! long time no hear. i think most of us who have experienced GOOD metro systems have got to agree that hawaii really needs one. it would be nice to see them eventually build it.

so you must be having fun in japan, yeah?

Dyka

Post by Dyka » Dec 12th, '06, 06:32

Hey I just thought I'd drop by for a moment. Winter break is here. ^_^

meiohsetsuna
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by meiohsetsuna » Dec 12th, '06, 06:45

Too much fun! I kinda stopped helping the subbing because I was playing too much... kinda makes fans and friends upset when you do that. :( Should always finish what you ....

Yah being able to go anywhere without having to drive is awesome. ^.^

oldkfanmakaweo

Post by oldkfanmakaweo » Dec 25th, '06, 18:52

Anybody see Colt and the boyz/bows on ESPN? What a record breaking game!
Not just Colt's indiv records, but alltime NCAA team records too!!

Mele Kalikimaka 2006!!!

sarcasstik
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sarcasstik » Dec 26th, '06, 04:37

oldkfanmakaweo wrote:Anybody see Colt and the boyz/bows on ESPN? What a record breaking game!

Mele Kalikimaka 2006!!!
Yeah, how about Colt smoking that single-season touchdown record?! And Rivers' 300+ receiving yards. That was a great second half :lol

Hope he's back next season

dr0wningp0oL

Post by dr0wningp0oL » Dec 26th, '06, 05:30

oldkfanmakaweo wrote:Anybody see Colt and the boyz/bows on ESPN? What a record breaking game!

Mele Kalikimaka 2006!!!
and I do agree with June Jones when he said Colt is the best Quarterback that UH has ever had...hopefullY he comes back for his Senior Year

Willx24601

Post by Willx24601 » Dec 30th, '06, 09:30

hey folks, here's some insight that i don't think is not known yet... i think (it's probably not up to news yet, but if it is, im lazy to look through the pages back).

Apparently the Hawaii Korean Drama Fan Club may closing... or maybe starting a new club... i don't know the details or what the future is but, uh, i think the vice president--- or one of the ones who started the club is leaving. I don't know the details, but i think they had some different views, and decided to quit, and make their own club.

this is coming from "the young guy" who goes to the meetings (but haven't been to one in a while, but still get the emails lol) :mrgreen:... but you haven't heard this from me :whistling: just passing the info on....

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Jan 3rd, '07, 00:15

Hau`oli Makahiki Hou Kakou!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 3rd, '07, 14:14

puccakiss79 wrote:Hau`oli Makahiki Hou Kakou!
a very late mele kalikimaka and hauoli makahiki hou to everyone out there!

hope everyone's having a great new year.

i was able to visit the islands for about a week and a half and really enjoyed it. (sigh, i miss home, but that's the way it is.)

oldkfanmakaweo, dr0wningp0oL & sarcasstik: i did not catch the hawaii bowl on espn because i was too busy yelling and screaming at the game. and what a game it was. i was so elated to be at one warrior game this entire season.

it's great to hear that colt announced he's coming back. i think it was the right decision. it's a risk because there's a possibility of injury, but at the same time, i really don't think he would have gone in the first round this season. the pros don't have much regard for the WAC.

anyways, Willx, nice to see you dropping in, and i hope you can start a club on your own. that would be pretty cool.

aloha to all!

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Feb 25th, '07, 15:28

hmm, this thread is kind a death....hi all, how's everybody? just drop by to say aloha....nice day to everybody :-)....

blueeyedwolf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by blueeyedwolf » Feb 26th, '07, 23:16

Is busy slavin' away with translations and spot timing (Mainly Hana Yori Dango Returns, but also Death Note, Stand Up, My Boss My Hero, etc...T.T), but thought I'd drop in to say "Sup!" To y'all~! ^^ Have a good one~

*didn't realize I had stopped receiving reply notifications on this thread...wonder what happened there.. :scratch: *

christaluvsdrama

Post by christaluvsdrama » Feb 26th, '07, 23:23

I envy you ppl from Hawaii :( I'm a Cali girl I want to live in Hawaii too. I just luv the landscapes

meiohsetsuna
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by meiohsetsuna » Feb 27th, '07, 06:54

I'm here in Japan, missing the warmth of Hawaii... It's so difficult to only visit family and friends twice a year these days. :cry:

Gimme the beach~!

dee8o8

Post by dee8o8 » Feb 27th, '07, 07:08

sup, i live in Hawaii. Kauai to be exact. though i wish i lived in Oahu and Japan. Planning to move to either one, but undecided as of yet. still trying to decide if i want to take the hard , lonely road or not.

dont know what else to say besides "hi"

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Mar 20th, '07, 04:41

"Happy Birthday puccakiss79 :cheers:" ....since you wished me a happy birthday last year, then I'm returning the favor too...."May all you wish for this year come thru. Have a great day celebrating. Party hard!!! Three cheers for you :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:" :-)....

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Mar 21st, '07, 01:03

i second that. happy birthday, pucca! i posted a big one here

enjoy the hawaiian weather for me.

xKiMix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by xKiMix » Apr 16th, '07, 08:35

Aloha everyone!!!
Hehehe I'm not in Hawaii, but i'm planning to move there this august. If everything goes well i'll be living in Oahu. Just got accepted to HPU, i'm so excited already. It will be my first time going there. Any one here attending HPU?

groink

Post by groink » Apr 16th, '07, 08:57

xKiMix wrote:Aloha everyone!!!
Hehehe I'm not in Hawaii, but i'm planning to move there this august. If everything goes well i'll be living in Oahu. Just got accepted to HPU, i'm so excited already. It will be my first time going there. Any one here attending HPU?
I received my undergraduate degree from HPU. Great school! The Asian culture within the school is so diverse - really, there's no other school like it. When I went, HPU was only in the downtown Honolulu area. Today, it is extended to the Hawaii Loa campus in Kailua. What do you plan on majoring in?

--- groink

xKiMix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by xKiMix » Apr 17th, '07, 06:01

When i go there i will be transferring as a pre-med student. Hopefully be able to take nursing in the Spring. While i'm at it i might finish my japanese minor and/or korean as well. I'm really looking forward to learning korean there, since there isn't any schools here in my area that offer it.

Also i have a question, is the price of living there really expensive? I'm currently living in california (which is costly enough) , and when i tell people i'm planning on studying in hawaii they all say that it is so expensive living there. Is that true?

sakura.kw

Post by sakura.kw » Apr 17th, '07, 06:31

xKiMix wrote:When i go there i will be transferring as a pre-med student. Hopefully be able to take nursing in the Spring. While i'm at it i might finish my japanese minor and/or korean as well. I'm really looking forward to learning korean there, since there isn't any schools here in my area that offer it.

Also i have a question, is the price of living there really expensive? I'm currently living in california (which is costly enough) , and when i tell people i'm planning on studying in hawaii they all say that it is so expensive living there. Is that true?
I think that you'll enjoy HPU's diverse cultural student body. From what I understand, it's a great college.

Cost of living here in Hawaii is high but I think comparable to California. Tax is less than California's.

One of the good things about Hawaii is that it's a melting pot of cultures and you get to experience this first hand. Finding great food is easy and you can satisfy just about any craving. People here are quite friendly. For me personally though, I think that Hawaii is a great place to visit but I would prefer to live elsewhere where the weather is cooler. I like Northern California a whole lot better.

Have a great experience here for I'm sure that you'll have that as long as you're open minded and willing to integrate yourself into the culture here. You seem like you're that kind of person already.

groink

Post by groink » Apr 18th, '07, 09:29

Yes, most of Hawaii's imported merchandise from the mainland U.S. are marked up 15 to 35-percent. That's the price for paradise as most people here would say.

--- groink

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Apr 19th, '07, 23:59

xKiMix wrote:When i go there i will be transferring as a pre-med student. Hopefully be able to take nursing in the Spring. While i'm at it i might finish my japanese minor and/or korean as well. I'm really looking forward to learning korean there, since there isn't any schools here in my area that offer it.
ganbatte!! i think that's a great major to take up. i remember a few years ago, nurses were in HIGH demand. i remember starting wages of $25+ an hour. that was a few years ago. i can imagine they're still looking.
xKiMix wrote:Also i have a question, is the price of living there really expensive? I'm currently living in california (which is costly enough) , and when i tell people i'm planning on studying in hawaii they all say that it is so expensive living there. Is that true?
yes
you will find that there are very few things that are not expensive in hawaii. one of the most expensive things you'll pay for is rent. if you can handle that, other things are not too bad. i believe hawaii (or honolulu) ranks #1 in the nation in rent. if cali beats us, it's just because of certain parts. also, get used to traffic. if you come from a place that has subways, etc. understand that most of your time in hawaii may be sitting (in great weather, mind you) in traffic.

however, EATING OUT seems to be much cheaper. since i've moved to the east coast, i'm kind of surprised that i could get better deals in hawaii. of course, i mean asian foods.

if you have any more questions, please ask away!!

groink

Post by groink » Apr 20th, '07, 01:40

jholic wrote:however, EATING OUT seems to be much cheaper. since i've moved to the east coast, i'm kind of surprised that i could get better deals in hawaii. of course, i mean asian foods.
The joke is that the discount is by quantity, not quality. :lol The saying is, "Eh, brah! Go to <fill in the restaurant name>!!!! Dey serve PLAAAAAAAAAAANY!" Like jholic said, most of the Asian restaurants attract customers by serving them tons of food on a single plate, while charging a cheap price. Are you familiar with those foam lunch containers? At some places, you can't even close the lid!!! I think the Hawaii local plate lunch is targeted towards construction workers.

BTW, speaking of tons of food, Masu's Massive is NO MOA!!!!! They closed about a month or so ago.

--- groink

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Apr 21st, '07, 12:56

groink wrote:BTW, speaking of tons of food, Masu's Massive is NO MOA!!!!! They closed about a month or so ago.
agh! i've heard of some of my other fave places closing down too. they must've lost business when i moved away. not kidding about this. i ate out every day when i was on the islands.

xKiMix: another thing to check out is the local LANGUAGE (pidgin english). if you read through this thread, you'll get a taste of what it's like.

in other news, i was shocked to hear that hawaii CURRENTLY has lower gas prices than california?!??!!! :blink holy smokes! i believe that is the first time in my LIFE that hawaii has had lower gas prices than any other state!

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Apr 29th, '07, 18:12

Just dropping by....how's it going everybody....beautiful weather here in Wis.; sunny and breezy afternoon so it's a good day to stop by to say "aloha" to everybody, "have a nice day" :-)....

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » May 1st, '07, 00:17

just wanted to give some props to june jones and the hawaii warriors. FIVE warriors were drafted in this past weekend's NFL draft. that ties with several big name schools including USC. i also understand that FIVE additional warriors were given free agent contracts with NFL teams. as small as hawaii is, we're still finding a way to make a name for ourselves! my co-workers here had to hear me talk about it all day. way to go warriors!! :mrgreen:

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » May 2nd, '07, 00:35

i'm double-posting here, but i also wanted to give big props to RILEY WALLACE, uh's men's basketball coach for the past 20 years. i personally thought his contract was handled poorly and he deserved better. coach wallace did the best he could for a pretty small school while competing with so many other schools for talent.

best of luck in his retirement.

kikuesan

Rain concert in Hawaii - July 3rd

Post by kikuesan » May 11th, '07, 02:11

Aloha,

I saw in a recent issue of Hallyu Hawaii Magazine that Rain (Bi) will be performing at Aloha Stadium on July 3rd.

I was curious, does anyone here plan to go? Tickets are from $80 - $300.

Drama-craze

Post by Drama-craze » May 22nd, '07, 15:54

Hi Hi

Sorry to interrupt! Did anyone living in Hawaii record the Monarch Festival's Hula competition?

Drama-craze

ckh019
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ckh019 » May 25th, '07, 06:18

long time no see Hawaii D-addicts!!!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » May 27th, '07, 00:19

ckh019: hey, so which one is it? are you in hawaii or japan?

ckh019
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ckh019 » May 31st, '07, 07:01

i'm back in the islands now~ i'll probably go back to japan for grad school after i grad from uh-hilo. i forgot how beautiful the night sky is here!! i dont miss the vog though. as soon as i wake up i can see the vog over hilo bay...then my allergies kick in.

I saw in a recent issue of Hallyu Hawaii Magazine that Rain (Bi) will be performing at Aloha Stadium on July 3rd.

I was curious, does anyone here plan to go? Tickets are from $80 - $300.
Bi concert~ i would go so i can go and see all the cute korean girls that love him :P. haha. but its too expensive for me to buy and airplane ticket, transportation, hotel, and concert ticket.
xKiMix wrote:Aloha everyone!!!
xKiMix!!! you never told me that you were coming to hawaii for school!! too bad i live on the big island, and i quit the soccer team. we played hpu a few times last year, and went to oahu almost every week.

xKiMix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by xKiMix » May 31st, '07, 07:07

what a Bi concert?!?!? Nooooo!!! I won't arrive to hawaii till the end of august! i'm so sad.. :cry: I hope he comes back while i'm staying there. Are there usually korean concerts that occur in hawaii? specifically Oahu?

Also, do you guys know any places that has cheap cargo? I want to send my computer over, but UPS and USPS are so expensive! :-(

^^opps! sori chad! I thought you were there on msn when i announced it! hehe

sakura.kw

Post by sakura.kw » May 31st, '07, 07:21

ckh019 wrote:... i live on the big island, and i quit the soccer team. we played hpu a few times last year, and went to oahu almost every week.
Gosh, you're the 2nd person that I've heard that is not returning next year. That's too bad. I was so happy to hear about men's soccer starting up again at the Hawaii colleges. I'd hate to see it be discontinued again.

xKiMix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by xKiMix » May 31st, '07, 07:26

sakura.kw wrote:
ckh019 wrote:... i live on the big island, and i quit the soccer team. we played hpu a few times last year, and went to oahu almost every week.
Gosh, you're the 2nd person that I've heard that is not returning next year. That's too bad. I was so happy to hear about men's soccer starting up again at the Hawaii colleges. I'd hate to see it be discontinued again.
I just got into soccer, so i'm excited to see hawaiian colleges play. Its sad to hear that some peopl are quiting. Chad-san, why aren't you playing any more?

ckh019
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ckh019 » May 31st, '07, 07:26

sakura.kw wrote:
i broke my ankle on a roadtrip we took on the mainland, but i kept playing until our season ended. i didnt think it was a serious injury, and the trainer cleared me to play. but i didnt know that i broke my ankle until i went to the doctor a few months ago. he told me that it is not going to heal and surgery is not going to work. so i cant play competitive soccer anymore. kind of a bummer. but i am pretty sure that college soccer in hawaii will continue for a while. we just have to try and keep some of the good players in the islands so we can compete with the mainland teams.

xKiMix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by xKiMix » May 31st, '07, 07:35

ckh019 wrote:
i broke my ankle on a roadtrip we took on the mainland, but i kept playing until our season ended. i didnt think it was a serious injury, and the trainer cleared me to play. but i didnt know that i broke my ankle until i went to the doctor a few months ago. he told me that it is not going to heal and surgery is not going to work. so i cant play competitive soccer anymore. kind of a bummer. but i am pretty sure that college soccer in hawaii will continue for a while. we just have to try and keep some of the good players in the islands so we can compete with the mainland teams.
Aww that sucks! I hope somehow your ankle will get better. And i would love to see the islands compete with mainland teams! that would be great.

Is there alot of marital arts competitions in HI? I haven't really check on HPU yet. :unsure:

sakura.kw

Post by sakura.kw » May 31st, '07, 07:37

ckh019 wrote:i broke my ankle on a roadtrip we took on the mainland, but i kept playing until our season ended. i didnt think it was a serious injury, and the trainer cleared me to play. but i didnt know that i broke my ankle until i went to the doctor a few months ago. he told me that it is not going to heal and surgery is not going to work. so i cant play competitive soccer anymore. kind of a bummer. but i am pretty sure that college soccer in hawaii will continue for a while. we just have to try and keep some of the good players in the islands so we can compete with the mainland teams.
I'm sorry to hear this. It's hard to have to give up when you still have the desire to play. Obviously it means no MISO either. Bummer! Good luck to you in the future. (How ironic, I just got off the phone with the person who was the first one that I heard of deciding not to go back.)

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jun 1st, '07, 00:28

ckh019 wrote:i dont miss the vog though. as soon as i wake up i can see the vog over hilo bay...then my allergies kick in.
neva know vog was so bad still yet. i thought the tradewinds makes it better. no?
ckh019 wrote:Bi concert~ i would go so i can go and see all the cute korean girls that love him :P. haha. but its too expensive for me to buy and airplane ticket, transportation, hotel, and concert ticket.
i thought interisland plane tickets are now dirt cheap cuz of some of the smaller airlines. and you gotta have some friends or relatives on oahu to stay one or two nights with, right?
xKiMix wrote:Are there usually korean concerts that occur in hawaii? specifically Oahu?
yes. when you get to oahu, make sure to shop regularly at daiei honolulu (i think it's now called 'don quixote' or something.) next to the cash registers, they have a korean makeup shop that always posts upcoming concert info.

as for your computer, USPS is your best bet. they have some "flat rate" boxes or really slow shipping methods, but you're beginning to taste how expensive things can get in hawaii. your other option is to bring it along as one of your suitcases. protect it well, and make sure it weighs less than 50 lbs. if you try to buy a new computer online, then the shipping cost will kill you. last option is to sell your current one and buy one from circuit city or something when you're in hawaii.

sakura: what is MISO? i'm guessing the last two words might mean 'soccer organization' like AYSO?

sakura.kw

Post by sakura.kw » Jun 1st, '07, 01:57

jholic wrote:sakura: what is MISO? i'm guessing the last two words might mean 'soccer organization' like AYSO?
Jholic, I got this from the MiSO website:

MiSO, which stands for Men's Island Soccer Organization, was founded in August of 1996 by a group of players and teams to provide the island of Oahu it's then only men's USSF sanctioned league. It was created by players and for players where every player has a voice and every team can have a seat on the board of directors

It was a great way for the DII colleges (BYU-Hawaii and HPU--not too sure of UH Hilo) to continue their mens' soccer programs when they got discontinued due to Title IX. (Equality for womens' sports). They have now expanded to include a Junior division and a Senior division.

As for the store, it's Don Quijote, also known as Donki, a Japanese chain. I think that it isn't too much different from the old Daiei.

Vog, it's a killer! I can't stand it. It gives me major sinus headaches and if you're asthmatic, it affects you too.

ckh019
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ckh019 » Jun 1st, '07, 22:07

it's been so hot here in hilo recently! i hate the sun! where's the rain?! haha.

yup, no men's league for me. i'll prob help out the highschool soccer programs.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jun 1st, '07, 23:52

sakura.kw wrote:MiSO, which stands for Men's Island Soccer Organization, was founded in August of 1996 by a group of players and teams to provide the island of Oahu it's then only men's USSF sanctioned league.
thanks for the info, sakura. it's unfortunate to lose MISO. i think it's always great to have some organized sports that our island folks can join.
sakura.kw wrote:As for the store, it's Don Quijote, also known as Donki, a Japanese chain. I think that it isn't too much different from the old Daiei.
really? you think so? i was in there during the holidays, and i thought it was quite different from the old daiei. it was a bit too outlandish for me. i know it's trying to make an atmosphere similar to japanese stores (with the tons of banners, colors and streamers), but i didn't think it was necessary in hawaii. i thought it was a bit overwhelming. maybe it was cuz it was the holidays. or, maybe it's just cuz i old. :lol

ckh019
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ckh019 » Jun 2nd, '07, 00:48

jholic wrote:
ckh019 wrote:i dont miss the vog though. as soon as i wake up i can see the vog over hilo bay...then my allergies kick in.
neva know vog was so bad still yet. i thought the tradewinds makes it better. no?
it helps sometimes. if it doesnt rain then the vog bothers me a lot.

sakura.kw

Post by sakura.kw » Jun 2nd, '07, 05:17

jholic wrote:
sakura.kw wrote:As for the store, it's Don Quijote, also known as Donki, a Japanese chain. I think that it isn't too much different from the old Daiei.
really? you think so? i was in there during the holidays, and i thought it was quite different from the old daiei. it was a bit too outlandish for me. i know it's trying to make an atmosphere similar to japanese stores (with the tons of banners, colors and streamers), but i didn't think it was necessary in hawaii. i thought it was a bit overwhelming. maybe it was cuz it was the holidays. or, maybe it's just cuz i old. :lol
The atmosphere is as you say, a bit overwhelming but as far as product line, it wasn't much different. I guess that it's because I was hoping that they would increase the Japanese products line by importing more things in. I also miss the dollar store.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jun 5th, '07, 00:59

aw no! they took away the dollar store? isn't there still one around the corner from sports authority on ward?

i used to get some good deals on that dollar store!

sakura.kw

Post by sakura.kw » Jun 5th, '07, 04:54

The Marukai 99 cent store is still there in by the Ward Sports Authority. However, it's not fully 99 cents any more unfortunately. They say that because of rising costs, they had to increase prices. It's now not as easy as thinking everything is the same price. I think that average prices now are between $1.49 - $1.99. I don't go in there as often as I used to. There also used to be one in Waipahu but they shut that one down.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jun 13th, '07, 01:26

hey, did anyone get in on that $2 interisland airfare deal? ckh019, this could have been your chance. i heard that website was hammered!

ckh019
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ckh019 » Jun 15th, '07, 02:56

i heard that to get that deal you would have to use it within a certain time. i dont plan on going anywhere yet.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jun 15th, '07, 23:11

yeah, you're right. i believe it had to be used by dec 15th of this year. but i hear the $9 deal comes up every so often as well. i wish it was $9 from here.

ckh019
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ckh019 » Jun 18th, '07, 19:17

its pretty crazy how cheap interisland airfare is now. the airline companies are trying to get people like me, who stay home all day and study, get out of the house, spend money, and help hawaii's economy :P

i remember seeing on the news that bi's concert got cancelled?

blueeyedwolf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by blueeyedwolf » Jun 18th, '07, 19:55

OMG ckh019! you from Hilo?! :blink I think I may know you...

ckh019
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ckh019 » Jun 27th, '07, 20:12

blueeyedwolf wrote:OMG ckh019! you from Hilo?! :blink I think I may know you...
really?~ :O

blueeyedwolf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by blueeyedwolf » Jun 30th, '07, 21:36

If you had Ohara-sensei your first year, then I have a pretty good idea who you are^^

ckh019
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ckh019 » Jun 30th, '07, 22:00

yes i did~ haha. small world~ haha

blueeyedwolf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by blueeyedwolf » Jul 2nd, '07, 20:59

LOL! I guess our Big Island ain't THAT big after all huh? :mrgreen:

ckh019
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ckh019 » Jul 5th, '07, 08:17

LoL! haha. i never thought that another person from hilo would be on d-addicts~ :P

happy 4th of july!!!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jul 7th, '07, 01:27

hey did anybody read this article on the hawaii warriors:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/ ... SPORTS0201

i remember the same thing happened a few years into june jones' career with us. some fairly large school canceled its game with us.

groink

Post by groink » Jul 7th, '07, 01:54

jholic wrote:hey did anybody read this article on the hawaii warriors:

i remember the same thing happened a few years into june jones' career with us. some fairly large school canceled its game with us.
I forgot the school name. But basically Jones said the school was "scared" to lose to Hawaii, and that REALLY pissed off the opposing school.

IMHO there are probably other more legit reasons for a BCS school not wanting to play Hawaii. For one, I as a mainland school see no value in playing Hawaii seeing it isn't a member of the BCS. From what I gather, playing Hawaii would actually HARM the power rating of the BCS school - even if the school WON, which in turn affect their rankings in things like the AP poll. It is much like USC playing a high-school team... SURE, you creamed the high-school team, but still we see no value in the win, so we're docking you points as a result of your effort.

Personally, I think the BCS was a stupid idea from the get-go. But with the way college football is set-up today, with importance placed so heavily on the BCS-sponsored bowl games - especially the old events like the Rose Bowl, the BCS is really the only solution. I was even one of the very few people suggesting that Hawaii even get out of Division 1A and drop down a level so at least they can realistically compete for a NCAA championship. Think about it.... Hawaii can be undefeated for 3 years in a row, and they'll STILL be out of the BCS. That's what's so stupid about the whole system.

--- groink

blueeyedwolf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by blueeyedwolf » Jul 8th, '07, 07:36

LoL! haha. i never thought that another person from hilo would be on d-addicts~
Ya. Actually the whole Nya! Posse is on here...well, off and on that is. :mrgreen:

Oh yeah, did anybody hear about the filming of Young Indiana Jones (I think that's the name of the movie) taking place on the Big Island? I just heard it the other day that they'll be shooting parts of the story in Kea'au, about 5 miles or so from Hilo. My aunt was telling me that they're setting up in this vacant junkyard near her school, and will be filming for about 2 weeks to a month or so. I don't know how true it is, but there is definitely some kind of movement going on in that area. Suisan trucks have been spotted down in the area, and the people in the neighborhood been talking non-stop about it. I guess we'll know for sure when the time comes~.^^

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jul 8th, '07, 17:52

groink wrote:
jholic wrote:hey did anybody read this article on the hawaii warriors:
IMHO there are probably other more legit reasons for a BCS school not wanting to play Hawaii. For one, I as a mainland school see no value in playing Hawaii seeing it isn't a member of the BCS. From what I gather, playing Hawaii would actually HARM the power rating of the BCS school
well, cost and exposure are the factors when playing hawaii. but we offered $750K to play us!! i think that should cover any cost.
also, i don't think a BCS school is 'harmed', but the benefit doesn't justify the risk. hawaii, like boise state and utah is one of those quirky schools that could beat you. why take the chance.
Personally, I think the BCS was a stupid idea from the get-go. But ... the BCS is really the only solution.
i don't think it's a stupid idea, but it's definitely UNFAIR. as you mentioned, when the BCS began, many schools were not even ELIGIBLE!! how in the f*k can you make an NCAA COLLEGE series and not make all NCAA schools eligible??!?!??!!!
but i think they changed the rule, and now all schools are 'eligible', but the chance for a small school is so minuscule, that it may as well be nil (example: boise state).
it's all about the okane (money).
I was even one of the very few people suggesting that Hawaii even get out of Division 1A and drop down a level so at least they can realistically compete for a NCAA championship.
but the problem with this is the scholarships. i think the ncaa awards you a certain amount of scholarships for div1 and less if you're not. since we now have june jones, i prefer to be an 'up-and-coming' university in div1 than a champion in div2. not as an insult to div2, but how many people can tell me who won the nfl europe league? canadian football? arena football?
i just think the rules for the bcs need to be amended to be fairer - and i think we'll get there .... eventually.

blueeyed: is 'young indiana' a series or a movie?

blueeyedwolf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by blueeyedwolf » Jul 10th, '07, 09:22

As far as I know, it's a movie. It's supposed to star Shia(?...don't even know his last name :sweat: ), the guy from Transformers, as the young Indiana....boy am I bad at our local american media...been stuck in the Japanese media too long I think :fear: :P

mgnc

Post by mgnc » Jul 19th, '07, 08:32

HAWAIIAN RESIDERS! - finally.

Hehhe - I'm not Hawaiian though. I'm a half-FLIP.

Currently in Lihue, Kauai. So, what's up?

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jul 19th, '07, 23:58

aloha mgnc, welcome to DA. how's things going in lihue?

mgnc

Post by mgnc » Jul 20th, '07, 02:21

jholic wrote:aloha mgnc, welcome to DA. how's things going in lihue?
Much Mahalo! Well... Lihue's doing good - hahha!

Not much activities around... not lot like in Honolulu, it's like busy all the time!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Aug 16th, '07, 00:06

hey i guess flossie just missed you guys. i'm glad to hear it.

boy, someone must've pissed pele off cuz an earthquake AND a hurricane. geez. i'm glad no one was really hurt. it seems like that waialua fire on oahu is causing more damage than anything.

SHD
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by SHD » Aug 16th, '07, 01:48

jholic wrote:cuz an earthquake AND a hurricane. geez.
wait wait, that's not all, we're under a tsunami advisory too because of the 7.7 earthquake off of Peru.

everybody be safe :thumright:

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Aug 17th, '07, 00:51

SHD wrote:wait wait, that's not all, we're under a tsunami advisory too because of the 7.7 earthquake off of Peru.
bust out the surfboards.

koolau

Post by koolau » Aug 25th, '07, 06:53

Hello all! I'm been a d-addict for about 7 years now and it started in college. Like my other addictions (alcohol, laziness), college friends introduced this addiction to me.

After watching the cuteness of Fukada Kyoko in "God, Please Give Me More Time" and a great family drama that I cannot find anymore called "Please Don't Cry", I got hooked.

I moved back to Honolulu, and rediscovered KIKU and found D-addicts. Now that d-addicts is going strong after so many years, my addiction has been satiated somewhat.

Well, I hope that maybe we could all meet up for a dinner or something like when the International Film Fest comes into town again. I missed the last one but saw Hula Girls and I really enjoyed that one.

I want to see Wedding Campaign but its been difficult. Well, lets keep up this Hawaii thread and maybe we can go for some Yakiniku. Aloha.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Aug 25th, '07, 16:25

wassup, koolau. glad to hear you made it back to the homeland. missin' it myself. i recently watched 'hula girls' and i was really impressed. the movie was not typical - but from the title, i guess i was expecting them to just show off a few morning musume chicks in hula skirts or something. i was even more surprised to learn that it was based off a true story.

in other news, i heard 'dog the bounty hunter' wrote a book that's a bestseller. i don't know how i feel about dog. i only heard a little about the guy when i was in hawaii, but when i moved out here, so many people asked me about him, so i watched a few of his shows. at first i only watched it to catch bits and pieces of hawaii, and i didn't like the fact that there was so little about hawaii except for some of the guys getting arrested. but i noticed in recent shows, he's been trying for throw more pidgin in da dialogue.

blueeyedwolf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by blueeyedwolf » Aug 31st, '07, 04:52

jholic wrote:hey i guess flossie just missed you guys. i'm glad to hear it.

boy, someone must've pissed pele off cuz an earthquake AND a hurricane. geez. i'm glad no one was really hurt.
SHD wrote:wait wait, that's not all, we're under a tsunami advisory too because of the 7.7 earthquake off of Peru.
Yeah, and the crazy kitties that we are, we actually drove down to Hilo bay just to watch the storm (Setsuna was visiting from the motherland Japan^^). And you know what? By the time we got down there, there was no rain, but blue skies and humidity. Boy did we feel let down. Oh yeah, and that jolt? We were in Longs when it happened and one of our new members, Momo-chan thought someone kicked her while Hime thought someone rammed their car in to the building. I was like, "Hime? This building is like made out of cement blocks...." :glare: Gotta love her :mrgreen: :wub: The Tsunami was another one. It was like, "what Tsunami?". Mind you, the whole time we didn't even know we were under advisory for Flossie as well as the Tsunami....This is what happens when us Nya! girls get together in real life. XD

Anyways, glad to hear no one was hurt~^^ For those who did, we hug you from afar. :wub:

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Sep 6th, '07, 01:08

blueeyed: welcome back. glad to hear from you again. you shouldn't be going down to hilo bay when there's a tsunami warning. didn't you learn from the one that hit in the 30s(??)?

anyways, i also wanted to give some props to hawaii qb, colt brennan!! i'm sorry, but i was not much of a timmy chang fan, but along comes a qb that can really flourish under june jones' system. i think they may crack the top20 for the first time!!

SOMEONE BROADCAST THE WARRIOR GAMES ON THE EAST COAST, DANGIT!!!!

DoubleVision19

Post by DoubleVision19 » Sep 6th, '07, 01:22

Sorry for not being in the forums much (busy with work, work, and more work :cry: ) I'm made in Maui, but work in Waikiki for over 7years now. I had my fair share of Geinojins also...I"ve taken care of people like Hama-chan from Downtown...I've also taken care of Hotei Tomoyasu; a famous Rock Star, whose also married to Imai Miki. I've also taken care of a famous writer whom I've forgotten his name, but he's also married to a famous singer named Nakayama Miho. My dream is to meet with 99 Okumura & Yabe...hope that I can meet them someday :roll Alohas for now.

blueeyedwolf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by blueeyedwolf » Sep 6th, '07, 01:32

jholic wrote: welcome back. glad to hear from you again. you shouldn't be going down to hilo bay when there's a tsunami warning. didn't you learn from the one that hit in the 30s(??)?
LOL. I actually wasn't born yet so I know very little about it :P But ya, we're always under Tsunami warning so to us it was like another day. Plus, we felt like being dare-devils just because. :D *evil grin*