Bay Area D-Addicts?

speak whatever language you like here.
Siestrion

Post by Siestrion » Oct 31st, '07, 04:04

Door frames are a good place to hide under generally. Don't forget to check gas lines and to see if pilot lights went out if you have gas heaters and such.

Kazuya_

Post by Kazuya_ » Oct 31st, '07, 04:07

mizune wrote:I live in (650) as well, but the swaying lasted longer than 3-4 sec.... Might have something to do with being on the 4th floor.

I just kept waiting for the other shoe to drop... wondered if I should go outside or what... ^_^;
For us east coast transplants, what exactly is the protocol for this? Tuck yourself in a load-bearing door frame?
not to freak you out, but usually there are some aftershocks that follow. They're usually not as strong as the initial jolt. I would not worry about it so much. Again, living in this sort of area kind of does that to you. You don't live in fear of the next one that comes.

When I was in grade school they used to always have earthquake drills. The protocol was to stand in a doorway like you mentioned and stay away from the windows if things start shaking. If you're outside, stand out in open areas away from potential falling objects.

Again, try not to think about it so much if possible. If there's another one there isn't much you can do by worrying about it now.

ap

Post by ap » Oct 31st, '07, 04:11

rong wrote:my first earthquake experience, and I just moved from the east coast.
well, i hope you enjoyed it :w00t:

ap

you get used to them after a while

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Oct 31st, '07, 04:30

well, i wasn't freaked out so much as clueless as to what the proper thing to do is... ^_^;;;
(ppl call me nuts, but i actually want to go back east for the weather... :p )
thanks for the tips!
:)

Daijoubu

Post by Daijoubu » Oct 31st, '07, 04:55

I was eating dinner and watching the season opener for the NBA. First I thought it was the Cal Train since I live near a big Bart Station; but then it kept shaking and getting stronger. The walls started to rumble; I heard my dishes clanging; so I thought, hmmm I guess this is actually an earthquake.

My initial thoughts, where are my shoes, keys, wallet so that I can rush out of my place if it gets too bad.

My second thought, nah... this isn't as strong as the Northridge earthquake.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 2nd, '07, 00:25

mizune wrote:(ppl call me nuts, but i actually want to go back east for the weather... :p )
thanks for the tips!
ok, i'll call you nuts.

then again, i've never been through an earthquake. i'm pretty sure i'll just run around with arms flailing, screaming.

kylagurl
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kylagurl » Apr 10th, '08, 12:29

Whee! Everyone frm San Francisco! I really want to go there, lurve it though I've never been there! I'll be there in mid July this year. But, the group (7 inc me) I'm going with... Most prefer New York City to San Francisco and plan to just stay in San Fran for 3 days! I was so sad about that, but when they asked me what else can we do other than Golden Gate Bridge and Park, Chinatown, I really don't know much to say. I just want to breathe the air and watch the people, the life there! It's so much more of culture there right? Mostly Asian culture though ahah.

I know what I'm asking has nothing to do with the subject of the thread but I figured it's a great place to find out frm locals there since there are so many frm thE BAY HERE! Hope I revive this thread!...

Also, it'd be best if anyone can tell me... If I were to go to LA frm SF, is it best to travel by bus/train/plane? I'm cost conscious! Saving costs would be the best. I personally prefer trains but if it takes too long and it's too expensive, I'll choose an alternative. m_m

skya15

Post by skya15 » Apr 28th, '08, 12:01

Travel by plane, you can get a really cheap ticket if you book in advance. Its about a one hr ride. If you do train or bus it would take 7-8 hrs, and its not a huge saving.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Apr 29th, '08, 23:28

hey kyla, i've been to NY and SF, and i think SF is much better. i don't think NY sucks. in fact, i think it's a great place, but i had an excellent time in SF.

in any case, i'm sure taking the bus is cheapest from LA to SF, but it would take you the longest. if you shop early and wisely, you could probably find some good airfares with southwest, spirit air, or others.

aren't you traveling with the group?

xxSaranghaeyoxx3

Post by xxSaranghaeyoxx3 » Jul 11th, '08, 23:15

I'm from San Francisco. XD

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Nov 2nd, '08, 04:49

Ahhh....
First good rain of the season = happiness... :music:

Ginto-gin

Post by Ginto-gin » Nov 2nd, '08, 05:10

Yep, rain sure made it the kind of evening to curl up and watch jdramas :-)

... and Cal Bears won today. Go Cal Bears!!!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 2nd, '08, 06:33

never been much of a fan of rain. especially not if it's cold.
Ginto-gin wrote:... and Cal Bears won today. Go Cal Bears!!!
and i believe oregon was ranked too. good win. granted, it wasn't a dennis dixon duck team, but tedford called a good game.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Nov 2nd, '08, 06:42

Ginto-gin wrote: ... and Cal Bears won today. Go Cal Bears!!!
Stanford won too...
They're actually doing okay this year, surprise surprise! :O
What is it with the schools I went to doing terrible in sports when I actually attended them and then resurresting after I'm gone? :scratch:
Erm... go Terps! :lol
jholic wrote: never been much of a fan of rain. especially not if it's cold.
Well, you live in a region that is basically a desert 9 months out of the year and you learn to appreciate things.... :whistling:
(although, yes, we have noticed that I tend to like inclement weather more than the opposite :mrgreen:)

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 2nd, '08, 06:51

mizune wrote:What is it with the schools I went to doing terrible in sports when I actually attended them and then resurresting after I'm gone? :scratch:
oh, i'm sorry. did you also attend the university of hawaii? while fred von appen was the head coach of our football team that went 5-31 over the three years he coached?
Erm... go Terps! :lol
maryland's one of the east coast teams that i like. that football coach of yours could use a wee bit of time on that treadmill, though.

FEAR THE TURTLE!! :blink

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Nov 2nd, '08, 06:59

jholic wrote: oh, i'm sorry. did you also attend the university of hawaii? while fred von appen was the head coach of our football team that went 5-31 over the three years he coached?
Mmm... not too far off, actually...:roll
Buddy Teevens
2002-2004
10W - 23L (.303)

Walt Harris
2005-2006
6W - 17L (.261)

nanikore

Post by nanikore » Nov 2nd, '08, 07:25

i'm from texas but i'm in the bay area for school (ucBerkeley) :-)

hibiYa

Post by hibiYa » Nov 2nd, '08, 08:16

Same here =) starting school at cal up in january. from all this bay talk it sounds like a fun place :D

nanikore

Post by nanikore » Nov 2nd, '08, 08:46

hibiYa wrote:Same here =) starting school at cal up in january. from all this bay talk it sounds like a fun place :D
yea its interesting here.
so you're a spring admit? me too! except i'm here for FPF right now =D

hibiYa

Post by hibiYa » Nov 2nd, '08, 19:17

right on =)
i'm not in the fpf, but i was up there last weekend for spring orientations :D the weather was excellent~

anybody have recommendations of *must-see* places around berkeley / san fran? i'm really looking forward to getting out and exploring.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Nov 2nd, '08, 20:00

well, it all depends on what sort of activities you like to do... :scratch:
i'm not much of a city person, so i gravitate more towards all the outdoors type stuff (e.g. camping, hiking)...
although there are definitely some nice museums in the city...

hibiYa

Post by hibiYa » Nov 2nd, '08, 20:32

I can definitely go either way. I love exploring cities, but I also like to get out and see the real "outdoors" I guess. I hear that there are some pretty fun hiking trails right behind the Berkeley campus? Sounds like it would be fun to go up there with friends or something maybe.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 3rd, '08, 04:27

well, if you're from texas, i think you'll find the city of sf to be very different. and if you like the outdoors, you'll enjoy the fact that the entire city is all hills, so you will get to do a LOT of walking and hiking. i would just go and do the touristy stuff at least once. that way, if people visit you, you'll know which ones to take them to.

amrayu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by amrayu » Nov 3rd, '08, 05:13

Some places you may wanna check out...
Berkeley: Shattuck and College street. Lots of little shops and great food. (I'm sure you're probably gonna go there eventually though)

SF: Union Square. Shopping galore. Also has Bloomingdale's/Westfield Shopping Mall.
Haight street: Very similar to College and Shattuck.

Pier 39: Very touristy area. Lots of seafood since it's on the pier. Try some clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl. :) Street vendors and performers (watch out for bush man). If you're in the area, go visit the world's most windiest street, Lombard Street.

Japan town: Not the best, but they have a kickass newly re-modeled Kinokuniya book store. Get your fill of manga, jmagazines, jnovels, etc here. If you want to catch a movie, the Kabuki Movie theater was recently re-modeled as well. It's now called the Sundance theater. Very chic and a little on the pricey side, but they have a bar which you can order from and you can drink alcohol while watching movie.

Broadway: One section of this street is filled with adult entertainment (strip clubs, peep shows, video/toy shops). You'll find a lot of military personnel here during the weekends. :-P

Not all of SF is filled with hills. There's lots of flat areas. Be prepared to take public transit and do your fair share of walking though.

There's a lot more... but you get the picture. There's lots to do. @_@
I've lived in the bay for 10+ years, so if you need some tips, lemme know.

:-)

hibiYa

Post by hibiYa » Nov 3rd, '08, 05:31

Amrayu~~~

Thanks so much!
That is awesome =) I think I walked up College street on my way to campus when i was up there for orientation, but I didn't have much time to explore. I'll definitely look into it more when I get up there I'm sure =)

I really can't wait for the Kinokuniya close to school... When I lived up in Oregon there was one about 2 hours from school, but nobody really had a car or gas money to get us there often haha.

Hopefully I'll be able to venture off into SF while I'm up there too. I have a few friends up there who commute to school, so maybe they can show me around to some of the places you pointed out to me also~ :P

Thanks again!

osfan

Post by osfan » Nov 4th, '08, 00:23

Ginto-gin wrote:Yep, rain sure made it the kind of evening to curl up and watch jdramas :-)

... and Cal Bears won today. Go Cal Bears!!!
I dont follow college football, but with Mike Montgomery being the head coach of Cal basketball team now, i have to root for the Bears.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Nov 5th, '08, 03:07

amrayu wrote: There's a lot more... but you get the picture. There's lots to do. @_@
And to help fill in some other things to do outside the city...

- Visiting Napa is always something ppl enjoy. It's very pretty during the season, but be prepared for crowds and traffic. Lots of good food and, of course, wine.

- Driving along the Cabrillo/Big Sur Coast Hwy (Rte 1) is always amazing. The drive south of Monterey (Big Sur Coast) is the most scenic, with plenty of places to stop and stare out over the cliffs at the Pacific Ocean, but the portion on the peninsula is also very nice with a lot more beaches along the way. Lots of surfing. There are also a lot of parks along the coastline where whales, seals, otters, starfish, and other sea wildlife can potentially be seen.

- And if you're driving on Rte 1 anyways, you might as well check out Monterey (and Carmel). The aquarium is nice and stocked with a lot of fish and wildlife that inhabit the bay (most of which I noticed are very edible or look like they should be very good to eat... ^_^;)

- Lake Tahoe anytime of year. Skiing or snowshoeing in the winter. Hiking, biking, climbing, and camping in the summer. Gambling in S. Lake Tahoe anytime of year... :roll

- Muir Woods National Monument / Mt Tamalpais for redwoods and great views of the city from the North Bay.

Unfortunately, you'll probably need a vehicle to reach some of these places, but... :/

Ginto-gin

Post by Ginto-gin » Nov 22nd, '08, 23:45

Today's a good day! The axe is back!

GO CAL BEARS!! :clap:

hibiYa

Post by hibiYa » Nov 23rd, '08, 00:00

Wooops! Thought I replied to this a while ago :O

Thanks so much for the info mizune ^^ I'm not sure if I'll be bringing my car up there, but in the case that I can find some friends with them or borrow one, I'd love to go and check out some of these places. Can't agree more on driving up the 1 though... From what I remember it's a fantastic view, well worth the extra mileage it takes heading north.

donna8157

Post by donna8157 » Nov 23rd, '08, 00:35

I live in East Bay. :D

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 23rd, '08, 07:15

Ginto-gin wrote:Today's a good day! The axe is back!
GO CAL BEARS!! :clap:
great win by the bears. that hook and ladder play near the goal line was genius. not that it mattered much as stanford didn't have much of an answer for best.

felt like the stanford qb was targeting the ref more than his wr's.

Rollins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rollins » Jan 16th, '09, 05:42

Didn't realize this thread was around until today!

I used to go to Berkeley and I've settled in SoMA in SanFrancisco. Maybe a bit too much, but I get a nice view of the Bay Bridge and I'm pretty close to the ferry building and AT&T park.

In any case, just adding my name to the list of Bay Area fans!

kylagurl
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kylagurl » May 19th, '09, 04:36

HAHAHAHA...
if only i had remembered to check here more often?

but oh well, i didn't have that much time in SF when I was there last summer but i lurved it though ahha. i lurved the food in chinatown, i miss Asian food after being stuck in Yellowstone (though i lurve being s tuck there) while I worked there for 2.5 mths ha.

Wow, i'm happy to know i did some things mentioned ahha. Like driving along the Pacific Coast to Monterrey, cos me n my friends went on a road trip frm SF to LA then Anaheim. Gush, it was sooo beautiful! We saw the sea lions too, they were the giant ones haha. SUPER AMAZING! so many ppl stopped by ahha.

I like California a lot I guess. More specifically the cheaper food? haha. Like as compared to NY but I had a great time in NY too ahha. I managed to catch a Broadway musical "Hair Spray" for half the price of the front rows haha.

AHHH, made me miss my best summer ever, summer 2008 hahhaa. But it was so freakin' cold in SF late July haha. I was amazed, me and my friends too ahah. It's so easy to get around by public transport it's good! :D

Ohsu

Post by Ohsu » Nov 18th, '09, 00:13

Anyone still alive in this area?

kylagurl
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kylagurl » Nov 18th, '09, 02:11

jaaa i just came in to check this page today, i was the last one who commented/posted before you. But Im not from the Bay, but I really liked it when I went last summer...

lmaonade

Post by lmaonade » Nov 18th, '09, 03:33

stanford here
wassup every1

Ginto-gin

Post by Ginto-gin » Nov 22nd, '09, 03:51

Whew, that was close! We get to keep the axe for another year!
:clap:
GO CAL BEARS!

wintersweet

Post by wintersweet » Nov 22nd, '09, 07:02

Hey there, I live in Fremont. :)
Used to watch KTSF but gave up a while ago...

Ohsu

Post by Ohsu » Nov 23rd, '09, 10:33

Glad people are still around...but I'm sure there's more?

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Sep 10th, '10, 04:02

Oy vey...
San Bruno.... :(
Hope everybody out there is ok..... :pray:

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Sep 11th, '10, 02:37

My sister said she could see the fire from her house in Daly City.

topnotch97

Post by topnotch97 » Oct 18th, '10, 09:11

currently attending CSU Northridge.

logikgr

Post by logikgr » Jun 3rd, '13, 15:32

Korea Town Rep! Olympic and Vermont.