DramaWiki - Information Repository for Asian Dramas UPDATE

Data, images, links, competition and er other stuff are here.
Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Jan 9th, '06, 02:32

^ You should add at least one drama that she starred in to make it tie to DramaWiki

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Jan 10th, '06, 02:33

Ruroshin wrote:^ You should add at least one drama that she starred in to make it tie to DramaWiki
he he :D I was actually thinking someone would say that.

Now that is going to be very hard for two reasons.

1) I dont think she did star in any dorama of any kind.

and 2) I add her anyway due to the fact that she helped found the HK Performing Artists association. As such I think she more than many have a very good tie to all performing artists, be it dorama, movie or other arts.

I'm willing to bet at leats 1 drama actress / actor is a member of this organization too.

I added her also, only after seeing that Maggie Cheung was in there too and she has also not been in a drama according to the wiki pages.

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gryzze » Jan 16th, '06, 11:44

Can anyone explain what happend to this image that I uploaded:
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Image:Hyouheki.jpg

It doesn't show on the page above but I can still use it on other pages... :blink

Look here: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Hyouheki

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Jan 16th, '06, 12:02

Looks ok to me now. Maybe it just took a while until the 702px-Hyouheki.jpg version on the image's page was generated. Not everything is rendered in realtime.

After all there exist now three versions of that image, the original (758x647) the slightly smaller 702px version on the image's page and the thumbnail version used on the Hyouheki page. Obviously the original was too large for the wiki. :mrgreen:

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gryzze » Jan 16th, '06, 12:15

You can see the image? That's weird, I've even tried waiting for a few minutes... :-)

Usually with large images there's a "Download high resolution version..." message but I don't see that either.

Nevermind, It's no big deal since I can use the image where it was intended... :P

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gryzze » Jan 20th, '06, 08:43

I've got another weird "problem", sorry... :-)

When I use the google-search within the wiki to search for this drama:
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Pink_no_Idenshi

...I cannot find it. Then the week after that I can find it. Another week later I cannot find it again and so on.

I realize that this has nothing to do with the wiki, but I'm curious why google constanly reevaluates that particular article... :blink

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Jan 20th, '06, 23:20

hrm wierd, well I can find it now. I'll try again in a week.

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gryzze » Jan 20th, '06, 23:37

I think I've found the cause but I don't really understand it...

The google search produces an url that begins with...

http://www.google.com/custom?

If I replace "custom" with "search" and keep everything else, then the search works fine.

groink

Post by groink » Jan 31st, '06, 07:31

Just a reminder to those of you who are new to DramaWiki... The artist pages are NOT meant to be single-page fan-sites by any means. The major criteria of the artist pages is to document the artists' works in television dramas. When other information start to interfere with the drama information (fan-type data like "What's his favorite color of dog?"... You know what I mean!), that's where things start to go overboard.

About 99-percent of this data come from the Internet. Let's keep the data at the fan-sites where they belong, and let's keep the artist pages lean and on-topic.

--- groink

groink

Post by groink » Feb 1st, '06, 05:08

Okay... It appears that we need to review the formatting standards for the drama articles. Someone is even going through the K-drama articles and changing them back to the older formatting. PLEASE STOP!

Here's the current standard format we've all agreed upon:

Code: Select all

<div style="display:inline; width:<width>px; float:right;">
[[Image:<image name>|thumb/frame|<width>px|right|description]]
</div>
== Details ==
*'''Title:''' <written in native character set>
*'''Title (romaji):''' <written using romaji>
*'''Title (English):''' 
*'''Tagline:''' <native character set and romaji, if available>
*'''Episodes:''' 
*'''Genre:''' 
*'''Viewership ratings:'''
*'''Broadcast network:''' 
*'''Broadcast period:''' 
*'''Air time:''' 
*'''Theme song:'''
*'''Related shows:'''

== Synopsis ==

== Episode Titles ==

== Viewership Ratings ==

== Cast ==
*[[name of artist]] (name written in native character set and in parenthsis - ONLY if artist page doesn't exist)

== Production Credits ==
*'''Original novel:''' [[name]]
*'''Screenwriter:''' [[name]]
*'''Producer:''' [[name]]
*'''Director:''' [[name]]
*'''Music:''' [[name]]

== Notes ==

== External Links ==

[[Category:xxxxx]] 
Also, if you are editing a drama article and the formatting does not form to this format, please take a few minutes and re-format.

--- groink

groink

Post by groink » Feb 2nd, '06, 00:47

For artist articles, here's the current standard format we're using:

<div style="display:inline; width:<width>px; float:right;">
[[Image:<image name>|thumb/frame|<width>px|right|description]]
</div>
== Profile ==
*'''Name:''' <written in native character set>
*'''Name (romaji):''' <written using romaji>
*'''Real name:''' <written in both native char set and romaji> 
*'''Nicknames:''' name / name2 / name3
*'''Date of birth:''' in ISO-8601 format (YYYY-MM-DD)
*'''Date of death:''' in ISO-8601 format (YYYY-MM-DD)
*'''Birthplace:'''
*'''Nationality:''' Only if needed
*'''Height:''' in centimeters
*'''Weight:''' in kilograms
*'''Star sign:''' using Greek zodiac
*'''Blood type:''' using ABO system
*'''xPOP group:'''
*'''Family:'''
*'''Talent agency:'''

== About <artist name> ==

== TV Shows ==
*[[Name]], network (year)

== Theme Songs ==
*[[Name of song]], drama name (year)

== Movies ==
List movies, but do not use [[name]] tagging. Use [http://sitename Movie Name] instead.

== Endorsements ==
Put here company names. Endorsements include TV (CMs), printed material (magazines, billboards, etc.), radio, etc. Do not list in detail (ex: all CMs the artist appeared in)

== Recognitions ==
List awards and other achievements.

== Notes/Trivia ==

== External Links ==

[[Category:xxxxx]] 
Notes:

1. Only one image per artist is needed.

2. Enter the drama name in its native character set ONLY if the drama currently does not exist on DramaWiki. This way, when someone actually creates the article, he doesn't have to search around the 'net for it. Once the article is created, then remove the name from the profile.

3. Not ALL the fields are necessary. If you have the information, great, put it in. But if you do not have the information, don't just leave the fields blank. Blank fields make the article appear incomplete. Height/weight/blood type information is really only available for younger artists, and wasn't actually important until the 1970's idol craze. If the artist is a lot more mature (maybe 50 years old or later), there's a good chance no one will ever know the correct information because this information was never maintained. In this case, rather than leaving the fields blank, just don't add the field. When someone does find the information, he can add the field himself.

4. Fields like marital status and such are not necessary. For example, if the artist is married, place the spouse's name in the "Family" field.

Also, if you are editing an artist's article and the formatting does not form to this format, please take a few minutes and make the changes.

--- groink

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Feb 2nd, '06, 02:18

groink wrote:

IMHO, it isn't recommended to use ISO formatting for single dates for readability's sake. I think it's too confusing for people who are browsing the Wiki and are not aware of the ISO formatting. I'd prefer the Month DD, YEAR (e.g. February 2, 2006) for the birthdates in the profile. The ISO format should only be used for ranges, and for dates in tables or lists where the date order is obvious.

Rest is ok, as it more or less reflects the format we use at the moment. :)

One more note to the artist images... As already mentioned one picture per artist page should be enough. But it should be a portrait picture which allows also normal people to recognize the person. So model photos or pictures with heavy makeup should be avoided.
Btw, some of the unused images might be deleted by the wiki staff in the future.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Feb 2nd, '06, 02:53

MoerkJ wrote:
groink wrote:

IMHO, it isn't recommended to use ISO formatting for single dates for readability's sake. I think it's too confusing for people who are browsing the Wiki and are not aware of the ISO formatting. I'd prefer the Month DD, YEAR (e.g. February 2, 2006) for the birthdates in the profile. The ISO format should only be used for ranges, and for dates in tables or lists where the date order is obvious.

Rest is ok, as it more or less reflects the format we use at the moment. :)

One more note to the artist images... As already mentioned one picture per artist page should be enough. But it should be a portrait picture which allows also normal people to recognize the person. So model photos or pictures with heavy makeup should be avoided.
Btw, some of the unused images might be deleted by the wiki staff in the future.
How about yyyy, Month dd for single dates to make things consistant across the board. i.e. keep the ISO order but spell out the month so it won't be confused and of course use the ISO yyyy-mm-dd for lists of date so that its properly sorted.

For example I just looked at http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Sawajiri_Erika entry and the Date of Birth: 04-08-1986 is confusing to me since Australia uses dd-mm-yyyy

groink

Post by groink » Feb 2nd, '06, 03:30

Ruroshin wrote:How about yyyy, Month dd for single dates to make things consistant across the board. i.e. keep the ISO order but spell out the month so it won't be confused and of course use the ISO yyyy-mm-dd for lists of date so that its properly sorted.

For example I just looked at http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Sawajiri_Erika entry and the Date of Birth: 04-08-1986 is confusing to me since Australia uses dd-mm-yyyy
The YYYY-Month-DD would work for me. Like today's date would be 2006-Feb-02.

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Feb 2nd, '06, 04:52

I just suggested the Month DD, YEAR format because it is used on most pages that I visited/edited so far (most kdrama pages actually and some others too). I also thought that it is the most common date format in the english speaking area? On some pages I also saw DD Month YYYY dates which don't need to be changed either. To me the choice doesn't really matter as long as it is some commonly used and distinquishable format. The less changes it requires the better IMHO. :wink:

wow, didn't knew that Oz uses dd-mm-yyyy order too. Well for us it is dd.mm.yyyy in Germany :D

Just for your information... the Wikipedia:Manual of Style (dates and numbers). According to the "Dates in article titles" section the formats Month DD, YEAR and DD Month YEAR seem to be good choices where no alignment or sorting is required. See also the section "Dates of birth and death". :wink:

groink

Post by groink » Feb 5th, '06, 01:54

Did something happen in the encoding portion of DramaWiki? Apparently, the text in various articles got scrambled - all involving double-byte characters like kana. I first noticed it in Ichikawa Yui's aricle, then noticed it in both Kikujiro to Saki and Kikujiro to Saki 2005, and finally on all the Kaze no Haruka episodes. To make sure it wasn't my PC, I tried viewing the pages on another WinXP PC and my Mac OS X computer. The effects appear to look like the text changed from shift-js to unicode.

Here's some samples:

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/index.php?tit ... ldid=19246
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/index.php?tit ... ldid=19243

No one changed them. It looks like something happened either to the database itself or in the rendering process within WikiMedia.

EDIT - Forget about just a few articles. It appears almost EVERY Japanese-based article has been hit with the encoding issue. Is it possible to reverse the problem? It's going to take a lot of work to get these articles fixed if has to be done by hand.

--- groink

groink

Post by groink » Feb 5th, '06, 06:01

Well, I haven't heard from either Ruroshin or MoerKJ about the encoding problems with the database. So I don't know whether or not they have a backup of the database prior to the encoding problem.

My suggestion: Let's place a moratorium on any changes/additions on DramaWiki until some says there is no backup. If we go forward with fixing the pages by hand, we may stand the risk of wasting all of that effort if there is indeed a backup, because the backup would simply replace everything.

Also, if you've made any changes/additions within the last 48 hours, I'd suggest going to those articles and make backups. If a backup is restored, those changes may also be lost. But it really depends on how far back the last good backup is.

--- groink

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Feb 5th, '06, 15:46

Well, sorry about that. :sweat: Yesterday I tried to upgrade MediaWiki from 1.4rc1 to 1.5.6 which didn't worked out well. I made a database backup before that and restored it after the failed upgrade.

There has been some data conversions during the (failed upgrade) but the data base should be fine because I restored it again. The errors are only in the rendered html pages, not in the database itself. All (bad) html pages you watch are cached. I need to find out how to flush the cache. When you edit the wikicode, you'll see the page is fine. :wink:

I expect everything will be fine on a 2nd upgrade attempt. Unfortunately Ruroshin has to do that for me because you need a full database access for the wiki upgrade. :|

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Feb 5th, '06, 23:09

MoerkJ, emailed you the username and password for a mysql user that has db root access. I'll leave it in your hands as I don't have the time to look into it.

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gryzze » Feb 6th, '06, 14:38

A lot of kana is still scrambled, even in edit mode...

Will it be fixed later or should we start fixing them manually?

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Feb 6th, '06, 16:21

gryzze wrote:A lot of kana is still scrambled, even in edit mode...

Will it be fixed later or should we start fixing them manually?
nah, don't fix it now. The upgrade isn't done yet. Some text is scrambled because some parts in the database are already converted to the new MediaWiki structure and font encoding. The text should appear correctly if the new MediaWiki software is running... I hope. :sweat: I'll finish the upgrade in a few hours when I'm back home.

Btw, you can see the MediaWiki version at http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Special:Version. As long as you see 1.4rc1 the upgrade isn't finished yet.

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Feb 8th, '06, 02:13

Ok, the upgrade is done. But unfortunately it's a bit messy.

Good News:
For the first time we are using a stable version of the MediaWiki software. Now some work-arounds, like the "div" tags for image placement, are not necessary anymore. Also some other small annoyances should be gone.

Bad News: :(
On a lot of pages certain asian characters are messed up. The reason for that is a mystery to me, but it looks like all backups we have are messed up due to a stupid conversion bug. Read details. I don't think this can be fixed because the text is corrupted in the database. We will have to fix the messup step by step when editing the affected pages.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Feb 8th, '06, 02:25

hrm does that mean the current mediawiki version can play nice with mysql 4.1 or should we upgrade to mysql 5? Because there's no point fixing the mess now if it will happen again sometime down the track.

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Feb 8th, '06, 04:31

Hmm, maybe an upgrade is the best solution, at least to a more recent v4.1.x. When using the current version you have to add the latin1 option explicitly because the locale is set to en_US.UTF-8 and thus mysqldump tries to convert the latin1 formatted tables to UTF-8 when redirecting the output into a file... *grmbl*

an example for a (manual) backup would be:

mysqldump --default-character-set=latin1 -u<admin> -p<password>  daddict_wikidb > daddict_wikidb.sql
I'm a little confused what to do with a database that has both latin1 and utf8 tables... I think using the latin1 option should work always no matter what the database contains. We better do manual db backups with the current setup. Also, I don't know what options the server's admin panel is using.

Man, I learnt a lot about SQL and Wikis the last days. :whistling:

groink

Post by groink » Feb 10th, '06, 00:08

Now that we're fixing up the double-byte characters on the articles, let's do more than just fix the text. While you have the articles open in edit mode, let's do the usual stuff:

- Re-format the articles to the current standards I posted earlier.

- Do a bit of research and fill in any missing pieces of information. For example, if the artist's name in Kanji is missing, take a minute or so and see if you can find it.

- When adding new artists to a drama article, don't just leave it at that. Take the extra effort and update the artist pages as well. I'm seeing way too many drama articles with cast listings when these same cast members' articles themselves don't mention the dramas.

- Let's focus first on the most frequently read articles. You can find out what articles these are by going to the Popular pages section:

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Special:Popularpages

I'm using Google to pull up the cached DramaWiki pages and basically copy/paste the kana text to the live articles. You can do this by bringing up a Google page and then typing in "cache:" followed by the URL of the article. For example, Sakai Noriko's cached page can be pulled up in Google using the following:

cache:http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Sakai_Noriko
Here's the thing.... When Google starts traversing through DramaWiki and the pages haven't been fixed, it'll cache the broken pages. Once Google has the broken pages cached, you'll then have to find other alternatives (wikipedia, etc.) to find the missing data. This is why I mentioned fixing the more popular pages first.

--- groink

groink

Post by groink » Feb 10th, '06, 23:46

So far, I've corrected the top-40 most read articles. And I'm seeing several others making corrections. Keep up the effort!!!!!

--- groink

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gryzze » Feb 11th, '06, 00:07

I've been doing some kana corrections myself and have come across artist pages where the artist name is followed by something within paranthesis.

The problem is that I don't know what used to be within paranthesis and it seems to have been added recently because it's not present in the google cache.

For example, look at the Takeuchi Yuko article:
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Takeuchi_Yuko

Le Piaf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Le Piaf » Feb 11th, '06, 00:27

gryzze wrote:For example, look at the Takeuchi Yuko article:
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Takeuchi_Yuko
Look at this page again and you'll immediately understand :thumright:

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Feb 11th, '06, 00:43

groink wrote:- Let's focus first on the most frequently read articles. You can find out what articles these are by going to the Popular pages section:

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Special:Popularpages

I'm using Google to pull up the cached DramaWiki pages and basically copy/paste the kana text to the live articles. You can do this by bringing up a Google page and then typing in "cache:" followed by the URL of the article.
Hey, I had the same idea when I started to prepare a WikiProject for this. :wink:

It is basically a todo list to systematically check all wikipages. You can find some more details at http://wiki.d-addicts.com/DramaWiki:Repair_Wiki_Project. Feel free to add your self as helper in the Project Info section. ;)

I'm still eliminating some non-corrupted pages from the latter sublists. Argh, so many pages. :faint:

Lowest

Post by Lowest » Feb 11th, '06, 01:19

So we add ''(done)'' before the title instead of removing the line once we've fixed the article?

edit: just wondering if this is just me, but the image above 'Press Conference' on Ooku~Hana no Ran~ doesn't load in firefox but does in IE.. I was wondering if it was just me or because of the ~ in the file name..

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Feb 11th, '06, 02:18

Lowest wrote:So we add ''(done)'' before the title instead of removing the line once we've fixed the article?
You may remove all entries that are fixed or were never corrupted.
The project is finished if all tables are empty. :D

:idea: for further project discussion please refer to http://wiki.d-addicts.com/index.php?tit ... ki_Project

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Feb 12th, '06, 04:20

== Details ==
*Title: <written in native character set>
*Title (romaji): <written using romaji>
*Title (English):
Hmm, don't use that format for non-japanese pages. It just doesn't make sense. There is nothing like "romaji" in Korea for example. For example, for the korean language there are different romanizations (2 are widely used) which are dominantly used in different regions and have both their pros and cons.

The format for korean dramas pages are like this:

*Title: <hangul title> / <Revised romanization of the title>
*Also known as: <list of alternative titles used by different tv stations and/or distributors>

..and for persons like this:

*Name: <hangul> / <"simplified" McC-R romanization of name> (<Revised romanization of name>)

link: different Korean romanizations
link: Revised Korean Romanization (officially used in South Korea since ~2000)
link: McCune-Reischauer Romanization (developed in the 1930, commonly used outside South Korea, officially used North Korea, still used in South Korea for common names of Persons, Places, Buildings, etc.)

I don't know nothing about chinese language and culture but from what I've seen on the wiki it also calls for a different name/title formatting. Also it seems to me that all persons from HK have two names, a chinese one and an english name. :scratch: :sweat:

Lowest

Post by Lowest » Feb 13th, '06, 16:13

Is there going to be a page on the wiki for all of the correct formatting and such?

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Feb 13th, '06, 18:00

Lowest wrote:Is there going to be a page on the wiki for all of the correct formatting and such?
yes and no :roll

no... :(
Actually I've prepared such guides last summer. But I have dropped that idea even before adding it as it turned out that there is no reason to apply a strict format to all pages. It is just impossible because you'll end up with a set of rules and a lot(!) of exceptions from the rules. Probably this will only scare away potential editors or people who have no experiece yet. Also the content of the pages is too different so that a fixed format is impossible. During the last months the formatting of the pages has changed a lot. The basic structure is still the same. Only some details have changed. Just check out some of the old pages. :wink: The only thing that remained is the emptiness within many pages (the stubs and substubs") that were created and never filled. However, they exist for a good reason.

yes :)
There will be some general info about what sections the drama pages and the person/artist pages should/could contain and what further info (sections) is appreciated. Perhaps there will be some more detailed guidelines for some sections.

:| Again, there is no "correct" or fixed format (i.e. a common template) and very likely there won't be one. It is the information that matters and not what it looks like.

IMHO, more important than the page format is to collect more information and to manage the existing pages. About 80-90% of all pages are still stubs (incomplete pages). Many of them are not marked as stub or have not been categorized properly. Just for your information: we have about 1172 stub pages, 214 of them are "categorized". :study:

groink

Post by groink » Feb 13th, '06, 19:32

MoerkJ wrote:IMHO, more important than the page format is to collect more information and to manage the existing pages. About 80-90% of all pages are still stubs (incomplete pages).
I think what all of us need is a clear-cut definition of when an article qualifies as being incomplete, i.e. a stub.

The way I look at it... Leaving fields blank is totally nonsense. A blank field, to me as an analytical-thinking person, indicates that the information does exist, but no one has bothered to find it and add it to the field.

I'm seeing not only here but on Wikipedia that there is some sort of a "push" for contributors to find the same information about a person, thing, or event - despite whether the information is available or not. Maybe if the article was about some current event or heavily documented historical event or person there's a high expectation for information.

But for Asian entertainment, there's some information you'll NEVER find. For example, you'll never find the height/weight information for an 60-year old female. Maybe for a 20-year old female seeing idol fans are into that sort of thing. But that sort of information only started becoming a commonplace about 20 years old - and only for idols. For regular Joe-artists, they just don't reveal personal information like blood type or even their birthdate.

My point is that an article on DramaWiki should not be deemed a "stub" just because there's information you find lacking in the article. You can drill for oil on a tiny little island, but you're just not going to find any. So when do you stop? When do we reach the point where we've found out as much information about an article as we can, and there just isn't anything out there?

For an artist, all you really need is:
- Name
- Dramas the artist appeared in

For a drama:
- Name
- Date it aired
- # of episodes
- Synopsis
- Cast list

That's it! I feel that if you have just that information, then the article is complete. DramaWiki should not be an endless quest for information on a person or drama. There must be closure. My suggestions above should serve as closure, IMHO. If I was visiting DramaWiki for the first time and I saw that 80+ percent of the articles were stubs, I'd think the contributors are totally anal retentive.

--- groink

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Feb 13th, '06, 22:02

groink wrote:I think what all of us need is a clear-cut definition of when an article qualifies as being incomplete, i.e. a stub.
Hehe, this is an old question at Wikipedia too. Indeed it is a matter of personal taste and may vary strongly from article to article. I left the clear definition open when I created the stub-related pages.

Basically, if you know that there is more information that should be added or if the article needs more work then it is suggested to mark it as stub. Stub doesn't mean the article is bad, but it serves as an administrative tool, as a reminder for everybody that it can/should be expanded. There is also a reason why stubs are marked at the botom of a page rather difficult to notice for the casual reader. :wink: The notice actually shows that we care about the content and that we want to improve it further.
groink wrote:My point is that an article on DramaWiki should not be deemed a "stub" just because there's information you find lacking in the article. You can drill for oil on a tiny little island, but you're just not going to find any. So when do you stop? When do we reach the point where we've found out as much information about an article as we can, and there just isn't anything out there?

For an artist, all you really need is:
- Name
- Dramas the artist appeared in

For a drama:
- Name
- Date it aired
- # of episodes
- Synopsis
- Cast list

That's it! I feel that if you have just that information, then the article is complete. DramaWiki should not be an endless quest for information on a person or drama. There must be closure. My suggestions above should serve as closure, IMHO. If I was visiting DramaWiki for the first time and I saw that 80+ percent of the articles were stubs, I'd think the contributors are totally anal retentive.
I partly agree with what you said. Lol, I'm not talking about the bra-size of a 60-year old actress. I was merely refering to the many empty pages that were created last summer, ready to be filled with available(!) information (from JDorama.com). Many of these pages haven't been touched since then. Just browse the first 1000 short pages to see what I mean. Much information just needs to be collected to expand the pages to an "acceptable level". It is probably just a matter of time and managing the pages as stubs certainly helps to make more ppl aware that more help is needed.

Many sites provide more interesting info which should be added because this is what many want to know. Often information is just not added because the original editor cannot understand language of the original source. At least that is my handicap. :sweat:

As you suggested, if you don't want to add certain (unimportant) info then just don't make this a criterium for a stub page. If an article contains empty sections or entries that cannot be filled then they can (or should) be removed. I mark all my articles as stub when I know that some info definitely is missing because the drama is still airing or because I couldn't wikify certain available info due to language problems. I usually add the links of my sources so other editors can continue were I failed. If you think that an article is complete then the stub status can be removed. That is basically what our stub page say.

Btw, there is an important stub criterium you forgot. An article needs links to one or many external sources that can be used a) to validate that the person/drama really exists b) that the entered info is correct and c) to get more information that was not wikified for what reasons ever (e.g. translation problems, copyright issues, lack of objectivity, fanstuff, etc.)

groink

Post by groink » Feb 14th, '06, 00:15

Thanks, MoerkJ! :)

--- groink

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Feb 23rd, '06, 12:35

Ohayo jdrama editors!

Btw, it is called "Japanese Wikipedia" and not "Japan WIKI"

And an interwiki link to a page of "Japanese Wikipedia" looks like this:

[[Wikipedia:ja:(name of the page)]]
... and with alternative appearance for example like this ...

[[Wikipedia:ja:(name of the page)|Japanese Wikipedia entry]]
ittekimasu...

groink

Post by groink » Mar 1st, '06, 00:08

Two things:

1) Would one of the mods please make this topic a sticky?

2) A warning to the people who are fixing the pages... Google's cached pages are really messed up right now for some reason. When viewing a cached page, the kana is messed up. So please read the kana on the cached page VERY CAREFULLY before applying to the broken page. Also when inspecting supposedly fixed pages, please review the kana... If something doesn't look right (ex: a person's name in kana is only two characters long), more likely it isn't right.

--- groink

jAnA

Post by jAnA » Mar 4th, '06, 16:46

MoerkJ wrote:Ohayo jdrama editors!

Btw, it is called "Japanese Wikipedia" and not "Japan WIKI"

And an interwiki link to a page of "Japanese Wikipedia" looks like this:

[[Wikipedia:ja:(name of the page)]]
... and with alternative appearance for example like this ...

[[Wikipedia:ja:(name of the page)|Japanese Wikipedia entry]]
ittekimasu...
:sweat: So it's called "Japanese Wikipedia"...(ah...I must had made a lot mess editing the "Wikipedia" links to "Japan WIKI")

gomennasai :notworthy:

I found a lot "Wikipedia" links that link to Japanese WIkipedia, seeing that the link is for japanese wikipedia (well, at first I thought "Wikipedia" refers to the one in english but it turn out to be in japanese) so I kind of shortened it to Japan WIKI to avoid confusion.

Sorry once again. From now on, I'll use the code you provided (& the link's name) when I edit pages. :salut:

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Mar 4th, '06, 21:09

Don't worry. We're all learning here. :wink:

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Mar 8th, '06, 18:55

I have just enabled the built-in spam filter for DramaWiki (see Metawikipedia:Spam for details).

If you add a banned word you'll get a warning and your edit is not saved. If you experience any difficulties due to the spam filter or if you want it to be changed then just PM me and I'll look into it ASAP.

Btw, this is the actual filter:

$wgSpamRegex = "/f***|cholesterol|lexapro|prozac|tramadol|ultracet|viagra|overflow:\s*auto;\s*height:\s*[0-4]px;/i";
P.S.: the next drastic measure, Proxy blocking, is still disabled.

edit: fixed a typo, which blocked all edits.

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Mar 12th, '06, 20:38

:cheers: I ran the Wikistats scripts from Wikipedia on today's database dump of DramaWiki. Here's the result:

link: DramaWiki Statistics

You might be interested mostly in the stats in the middle of the page. :wink:
On the bottom of the page there is a link to Wikipedia's stats.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Mar 17th, '06, 03:26

I'm going to move the wiki DB over to the same server as the forum's DB. This will be a good test to see if our backup process is working properly to preserve the characters.

I'm merely making a backup from the current server and restoring it to the DB server and then changing the wiki software to point to the DB server, if it doesn't go well I can simply revert the software back to the current DB.

edit: Moved completed, I think everything went ok and the characters were preserved.

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Mar 17th, '06, 05:45

Ruroshin wrote:This will be a good test to see if our backup process is working properly to preserve the characters.
Well, I know that it works because I have my own DramaWiki mirror running at home. :wink:

I had to test the installation procedure before making the upgrade last month. :D

Maddie87

Am I the only one having this problem?

Post by Maddie87 » Mar 24th, '06, 03:56

Hi,
I really don't know where to post this so sorry if I'm at the wrong place. So I have a problem with the "Drama Wiki" part, it keeps showing an error message :
Warning: getskin(/home/daddict/domains/d-addicts.com/public_html/wiki/skins/Standard.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/daddict/domains/d-addicts.com/public_html/wiki/includes/User.php on line 868

Fatal error: getskin(): Failed opening required '/home/daddict/domains/d-addicts.com/public_html/wiki/skins/Standard.php' (include_path='.:/home/daddict/domains/d-addicts.com/public_html/wiki: /home/daddict/domains/d-addicts.com/public_html/wiki/includes: /home/daddict/domains/d-addicts.com/public_html/wiki/languages') in /home/daddict/domains/d-addicts.com/public_html/wiki/includes/User.php on line 868
I'd like to know if I am the only one having this and if so can I fix it? Thx

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Am I the only one having this problem?

Post by Ruroshin » Mar 24th, '06, 06:42

Maddie87 wrote:Hi,
I really don't know where to post this so sorry if I'm at the wrong place. So I have a problem with the "Drama Wiki" part, it keeps showing an error message :
[...]

I'd like to know if I am the only one having this and if so can I fix it? Thx
its a skin problem, I went and disabled all the other skins. I've enabled the Classic skin again for you, please go and change it to the default Monobook, I will be disabling the Classic skin in a few days.

groink

Post by groink » Mar 26th, '06, 22:08

I'd like to remind everyone providing content on the DramaWiki that JPOP group member information should not be added to the artist profiles. The links you make to the JPOP group's web page (Wikipedia, PPN, etc.) is all that is needed. The artist pages are not to be used to promote their JPOP groups other to indicate that the artist is a member of such group.

--- groink

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by yt_toshi » Apr 1st, '06, 20:43

Here's a question: Should a separate page be created for staff members of any type of Asian dramas on the DramaWiki (if enough information is provided)?

For example, when I was editing the Long Vaction article, I noticed that one of the producers has also done other shows as well, but I didn't know if there should be a separate page for that producer.

Also, should there be a specific format created for staff members, just like the actors/actresses pages?

groink

Post by groink » Apr 1st, '06, 21:23

yt_toshi wrote:Here's a question: Should a separate page be created for staff members of any type of Asian dramas on the DramaWiki (if enough information is provided)?

For example, when I was editing the Long Vaction article, I noticed that one of the producers has also done other shows as well, but I didn't know if there should be a separate page for that producer.

Also, should there be a specific format created for staff members, just like the actors/actresses pages?
DramaWiki currently allows producers to have their own articles. Even if he produced just one drama, he should have his own article. Just remember to add the [[Category:JProducer]] on the bottom of the article. So I would say "Yes", go ahead and create it.

As for formatting... We haven't written anything to standardize the formatting. What I've been doing is something like this:

== Details ==
<the usual details for a human being>

== TV Shows as a Producer ==

== External Links ==

In some cases, a person may actually have multiple roles in his career, which is why I've been creating the "as a xxxx" headers, such as:

== TV Show as an Actor ==
== TV Shows as a Director ==
etc.

This is better than just having == TV Shows == and having all of his works thrown into the mix.

Again, this is how I've been doing it. So if you people have better ideas, let's hear it!

--- groink

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Apr 1st, '06, 22:18

yt_toshi wrote:Here's a question: Should a separate page be created for staff members of any type of Asian dramas on the DramaWiki (if enough information is provided)?

We already have many pages for producers, directors, and writers in their respective categories. The decision to create a page for a person is up to the editor. If you want to create pages for other staff positions then we can either create new appropriate categories or we just put the pages just into "misc crew" categories. If you don't know where to put it then just leave it uncategorized. Uncategorized pages can be easily spotted and categorized later if necessary.
yt_toshi wrote:Also, should there be a specific format created for staff members, just like the actors/actresses pages?
So far we use the same formatting for actors and production staff members. Generally the pages of persons consist of three parts: the profile info, the work info (dramas, movies, ..., achievements, ...), and external links. The profile for production staff members is just shorter because most of the otherwise empty entries have been left out (as they should have). Remember, that empty entries and sections should not be included on pages. Just look what the existing pages look like and use that formatting if you like it. The korean categories contain some very good (non-stub) examples, IMHO.

Here are some random examples:
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Song_Ji_Na (writer)
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Yoon_Suk_Ho (producer)
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Lee_Hyung_Min (producer, director)
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Lee_Jin_Suk (producer, director)
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Beat_Takeshi (actor, writer, director)

groink

Post by groink » Apr 2nd, '06, 02:47

I'm BEGGING you people!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please, pretty please (notice I said "please").... When you edit articles, please use the "Show preview" button before clicking that "Save page" button. By constantly clicking "Save page" over and over and over again on the same article, you're basically making a mess out of the "Recent changes" log, which several of us use to monitor changes made to the articles. It also makes a mess out of the History page on the article.

At the very least, if you do make a change that is very minor (really hard to define "minor" in just one sentence), enable the "This is a minor edit" option on the edit page. Then this way we can use the hide minor edits feature in the log.

Thanks! And keep up on the edits!

--- groink

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Apr 2nd, '06, 13:38

Yep, I second that. Everybody should learn within some weeks how to "edit efficiently". :mrgreen:
If you want to test your edits then you should use the preview.

Sometimes I wish the recent changes list could be a bit longer. But there is a trick how to monitor older edits. Just got to a category and click "Related Changes" in the toolbox. This way you can track up to 500 changes from the last 30 days. This is especially useful for smaller and medium sized categories.

Other ways to spot problems are the good old tools like: New pages, Orphaned pages, Dead-end pages, Uncategorized pages, Short pages, Long pages, etc.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Apr 2nd, '06, 23:16

^ you can goto your preferences in the wiki, select Recent changes and stub display and you can change your default settings to see how many changes on a page (I've got mine at 250) whether or not to hide minor edits, you can even set a threshold for stub changes.

If you're feeling really funky and have the latest browser you can enable Enhanced recent changes which will collapse all those changes to a single entry that were edited on the same day into line with a choice to view them all. :-) So that 19 changes to User:Martina that went on yesterday, I only saw one line in the recent change list 8)

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Patrolling Edits

Post by MoerkJ » Apr 11th, '06, 05:16

1. Are you a DramaWikicitizen (=regular editor)?
2. Are you regularly checking the Recent changes list for updates?
3. Do you hate double work?

If you can answer all three Qs with yes then you might want to use the Patrolling Edits feature, if you aren't using it already.

All unpatrolled edits are marked with an ! in the Recent changes list. If you checked a contribution you can mark it as patrolled so that another DramaWikicitizen doesn't have to check that contribution again. Nice, eh?

How does it work?
In the Recent changes list every edit entry has these (diff) (hist) links.
1. click the (diff) link
2. check the changes that were made
3. click the [Mark as patrolled] link on the right side if the changes are ok.
4. If you fixed a messy edit you can mark it also as patrolled. But don't patrol your own edits.
5. If you fix vandalism then put at least "vandalism" in the edit description (thanks!)

This way you have to check only recent changes that are still marked with an ! ... You can also hide patrolled edits to make the list of recent changes a bit shorter.

Unfortunately if an unexperienced editor needed 10 saved to make a contribution you will have to mark each saved edit as patrolled.

See also: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Patrol

MoerkJ on patrol :salut:

eej

romanization (?)

Post by eej » Apr 22nd, '06, 08:54

I'm at a loss :fight:

I started a couple of weeks ago to 'contribute' to the wiki (sincerely hope I didn't make any serious harm ...) but now I got the feeling I'm not seeing something that should be right in front of me

I understand we should be using the Kunrei-shiki to transcribe japanese names and titles (http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopi ... htm#300214) but I see that in the wiki the Hepburn style is still mostly used. I actually didn't see names written according to Kunrei (with the exception of the names that have the same transcription in both systems :lol )

If I understand correctly the Kunrei-shiki, we should have:

Takeuti Yuuko instead of Takeuchi Yuuko
Itikawa Yui instead of Ichikawa Yui
Tumabuki Satosi instead of Tsumabuki Satoshi
Sibasaki Kou instead of Shibasaki Kou
Oguri Syun instead of Oguri Shun
Akanisi Zin instead of Akanishi Jin

and counting....

the same goes for the titles:
Lunch no Zyoou or Mada Koi wa Hazimaranai etc

all these may look pretty.... funny :crazy: to most people

:cry: How should I procede? Has this been discussed somewhere?

Le Piaf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Re: romanization (?)

Post by Le Piaf » Apr 22nd, '06, 09:50

eej wrote:I'm at a loss :fight:

I started a couple of weeks ago to 'contribute' to the wiki (sincerely hope I didn't make any serious harm ...) but now I got the feeling I'm not seeing something that should be right in front of me

I understand we should be using the Kunrei-shiki to transcribe japanese names and titles (http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopi ... htm#300214) but I see that in the wiki the Hepburn style is still mostly used. I actually didn't see names written according to Kunrei (with the exception of the names that have the same transcription in both systems :lol )

If I understand correctly the Kunrei-shiki, we should have:

Takeuti Yuuko instead of Takeuchi Yuuko
Itikawa Yui instead of Ichikawa Yui
Tumabuki Satosi instead of Tsumabuki Satoshi
Sibasaki Kou instead of Shibasaki Kou
Oguri Syun instead of Oguri Shun
Akanisi Zin instead of Akanishi Jin

and counting....

the same goes for the titles:
Lunch no Zyoou or Mada Koi wa Hazimaranai etc

all these may look pretty.... funny :crazy: to most people

:cry: How should I procede? Has this been discussed somewhere?
(What will follow is only my own opinion)

I understand that Kunrei-shiki is one of the possible transcriptions of Japanese language but for many reasons I don't think that Kunrei is the most "user-friendly" method...

1. Kunrei-shiki is more an "algorithmic" transcription : the hiragana "ta" with a double dot is the hiragana "da". So, in order to remain logical with a "machine" grammar, the "ta" line would be ta-ti-tu-te-to and the "za" line would be da-di-du-de-do. However, if you pronounce these two lines, it would become ta-chi-tsu-te-to and da-ji-zu-de-do, not the way you would naturally pronounce these syllables.

2. Even Japanese people, when they write their name in romaji use a transcription that's close to Hepburn.

3. I hope I won't write something wrong, but the d-wiki is mainly made for users to read it. Most readers aren't fluent in Japanese, so wouldn't it be better for them to read names the way they are pronounced (or the closest it could be)

Finally I once submitted an idea... http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopi ... htm#303314

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Apr 22nd, '06, 09:53

Yeah i think the hepburn system is more popular and seems to be used more often so I think we should stick to it and not cause more confusion. I'll change the help page to reflect it.

Kunrei-shiki was only really choosen originally because it was ISO but it doesn't seem to get used a lot.

eej

Re: romanization (?)

Post by eej » Apr 22nd, '06, 10:21

Le Piaf wrote: Finally I once submitted an idea... http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopi ... htm#303314
about listing different transcriptions? I agree if it can be done in a clear way
Ruroshin wrote:Yeah i think the hepburn system is more popular and seems to be used more often so I think we should stick to it and not cause more confusion. I'll change the help page to reflect it.

Kunrei-shiki was only really choosen originally because it was ISO but it doesn't seem to get used a lot.
While Kunrei is official it really appear to be rarely adopted.
I'll stick to Hepburn then :thumleft:

groink

Post by groink » May 14th, '06, 02:01

For your review... I have FINALLY posted an article on DramaWiki that outlines in detail the "proposed" policy we use when romanizing Japanese for DramaWiki use.

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/DramaWiki:Rom ... f_Japanese

Please post all discussions in the "Discussions" tab on the article. Also, please discuss any changes you propose in the discussions before applying the changes to the article, unless the errors are obvious (spelling, grammar, etc.)

--- groink

groink

Post by groink » May 17th, '06, 21:11

I'm currently working on draft pages of several policy documents for DramaWiki so that we can finally define everything to do with DramaWiki in writing. In the meantime, quick reminders for editors:

- For TV show pages, place focus on drama content, and make sure all articles flow around the drama content and that the synopsis and details take most of the weight. Don't allow for the cast information or trivia information to pull the focus away from the synopsis/details. Limit images to just one header image and one correlation image.

- For artist pages, place focus on the artist's participation in dramas. Avoid fansite-like information. I'm sure some of you are very adimate about your favorite artists, but please do not let that affect your editing. Limit number of images to just one per artist. Simply, we do not want the artist pages to become free fansites.

- For images, make sure no copyright/trademark/other legal symbols and agency names are left on the images. I'm seeing quite a number of images that were taken from talent agency web sites, and the agency names and copyright symbols are still on them. Leaving the information on the images may attract the likes of Johnny's Entertainment or Stardust legal teams on DramaWiki

- Also for images, please use filenames that correspond to the image content. I'm seeing far too many filenames used that have no relation to the content of the image. Stuff like 11464998_0.jpg, photo.jpg or image.jpg are very bad choices of filenames. It is obviousl that these images were pulled from web sites and the filenames were left unchanged. So rename them accordingly before uploading to DramaWiki.

- As for synopsis and other write-ups, please cite the source. And do not copy any information from news sites or other wiki sites. Instead, provide external links to those resources. Copying information word-for-word from other wikis is considered bad etiquette in the wiki world.

- Accuracy of information - Treat the articles like you were writing a term paper. Same thing your teacher would tell you - you must consider the source of your information before applying it to DramaWiki articles.

Primary sources - Personal encounters, TV network web sites, talent agency web sites
Secondary sources - Wikipedia, trade magazines and trade web sites, newspapers and news sites
Borderline unreliable or unverified sources - Fansites, blogs

--- groink

groink

Post by groink » May 18th, '06, 09:08

The Japanese TV show article formatting document is now ready for review:

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/DramaWiki:Jap ... Formatting

Please post comments in the article's discussion section.

--- groink

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gryzze » May 18th, '06, 10:15

Is there an index page of the different guideline documents (formatting, romanizing etc)?

groink

Post by groink » May 18th, '06, 10:16

gryzze wrote:Is there an index page of the different guideline documents (formatting, romanizing etc)?
Not yet, but there will be in one form or another.

groink

Post by groink » May 21st, '06, 00:29

Just a reminder...

If you're going to take the time to create a TV show article on DramaWiki, don't just create the article and walk away. Creating the article is 50-percent of your duty. The other 50-percent is to make sure that all artists listed links to the new article. That means opening every artist you've listed and add the new TV show link to his/her TV show listing. Personally, I'd rather NOT have the TV show article there than to have it with NO artist linked to it. Don't do a half-ass job at these editing jobs. And the other editors don't have the time to verify these missing links.

--- groink

ryoko293

Post by ryoko293 » May 29th, '06, 08:06

Hi there!
I've been searching for a Japanese actor on your dorama wikipedia. He is called Amano Hironari. It is stated that he was cast of a dorama called Good Luck starring with Takuya Kimura and others. When I wanted to confirm that he really played in it, I found on other pages that he wasn't included in the cast list. :unsure:

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gryzze » May 29th, '06, 09:04

@ryoko293: He's not listed at the official site either so if he was in that series, it was probably in a minor role.

awrittensin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by awrittensin » May 29th, '06, 21:18

Just a quick question...

Why was the article for the drama "Papa wa nenjuu kurou suru" changed from that to "Papa wa nenju kurosuru" ?

From an earlier point in the thread:
The long vowels should be written as they are in the Japanese language:
long a -> aa
long i -> ii
long u -> uu
long e -> ei (in some rare cases ee)
long o -> ou (in some rare cases oo)
If this was agreed upon, then the above-mentioned drama article should remain "Papa wa nenjuu kurou suru" since that is the most accurate way to reflect the pronunciation, and is the most accurate way to romanize it. The title of the drama is "パパは年中苦労する "(パパはねんじゅうくろうする), therefore "Papa wa nenju kurosuru" does not reflect the presence of the long vowels. I think these rules should be followed because otherwise it can result in confusion.

"Nenju" means rosary. "Nenjuu" means "Mid-life," which is what it refers to here. "kurosuru" means jack as far as I know, so I think we should stick with "kurou suru."

groink

Post by groink » May 29th, '06, 21:32

awrittensin wrote:"Nenju" means rosary. "Nenjuu" means "Mid-life," which is what it refers to here. "kurosuru" means jack as far as I know, so I think we should stick with "kurou suru."
My mistake on "nenjuu". However, "kurou suru" is showing up as a compound word "korousuru" meaning "suffering hardship". That's why I put the two words together, and took out the "u" based on the modified Hepburn. So if I change it to "Papa wa Nenjuu Kurosuru", would that be okay?

EDIT - Forgot to mention that we ditched the wapuro method and switched to modified Hepburn. The link to the romanization of Japanese article is:

--- groink

awrittensin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by awrittensin » May 29th, '06, 21:56

My mistake on "nenjuu". However, "kurou suru" is showing up as a compound word "korousuru" meaning "suffering hardship". That's why I put the two words together, and took out the "u" based on the modified Hepburn. So if I change it to "Papa wa Nenjuu Kurosuru", would that be okay?

EDIT - Forgot to mention that we ditched the wapuri method and switched to modified Hepburn. The link to the romanization of Japanese article is:

Since I usually just write in Japanese regarding drama titles most of the time, it's a little weird to see it in romaji sometimes! Since I don't romanize much, I just tend to write it in wapuro style with a little Hepburn mixed in. :lol I think some things look really weird in modified Hepburn, like 先生 (せんせい) is romanized as "Sensee." :alcoholic:

However, it is a compound word, so "kurousuru" would still be correct. I didn't realize we were switching to modified Hepburn, but if that is the case, according to this...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepburn_romanization
In modified Hepburn:

* All long vowels are indicated by doubling the vowel, e.g. long o is written oo.
... it would be "kuroosuru" instead of "kurosuru" anyway, I think.

I think that's a happy medium that follows the Hepburn rules best.
Last edited by awrittensin on May 29th, '06, 22:02, edited 2 times in total.

groink

Post by groink » May 29th, '06, 21:59

awrittensin wrote:
* All long vowels are indicated by doubling the vowel, e.g. long o is written oo.
... it would be "kuroosuru" instead of "kurosuru" anyway, I think.

I think that's a happy medium that follows the Hepburn rules best.
Cool, cool! Okay, how about "Papa wa Nenjuu Kuroosuru"?

awrittensin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by awrittensin » May 29th, '06, 22:06

Cool, cool! Okay, how about "Papa wa Nenjuu Kuroosuru"?
Sounds good to me.

The only reason I was worried about it being "nenju kurosuru" is because I've only seen that drama around romanized as "Papa wa nenjuu kurou suru" so in case someone wanted to search for the title somewhere else, they might not get any results with different romanizations.

But if we're abiding by the Hepburn rules, then it tells us to put "kuroosuru."

awrittensin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by awrittensin » May 30th, '06, 03:17

I noticed something else that needs to be corrected on the wiki (Yes, I know, I'm anal...) and I'm not sure how to do it myself, so maybe groink or someone else can help me with this.

For the drama 天体観測, sometimes referred to as "Searching For Your Polestar," the wiki entry is "Tentai Kanzoku." However, the correct reading for the kanji is "Tentai Kansoku." This is a common mistake I've seen on various other drama sites.

I'm not sure how to re-direct or anything, so hopefully someone else can help with this.

groink

Post by groink » May 30th, '06, 04:42

awrittensin wrote:For the drama 天体観測, sometimes referred to as "Searching For Your Polestar," the wiki entry is "Tentai Kanzoku." However, the correct reading for the kanji is "Tentai Kansoku." This is a common mistake I've seen on various other drama sites.
What I'll do is:
1. Create a redirect article called "Tentai Kansoku" and have it point to "Tentai Kanzoku".
2. In "Tentai Kanzoku", I'll add "Tentai Kansoku" so that when the search engine scrapes the page, both versions will be picked up. This way, a search via Google will have DramaWiki come up on both versions.

When you start looking through the DramaWiki articles, you'll find that hundreds of them are romanized incorrectly. A very large number of them were created within literally a few days by one person who thought JDorama.com was the standard de-facto when it came to drama information, when in fact a large number of the names were wrong. We're fixing these articles very slowly.

I'm really more strict on the new dramas than the old dramas. For the old dramas, the damage is done, and many of the dramas will forever live on the Internet with incorrect romanization. Even if we correct them on DramaWiki, they'll still be wrong on a majority of other sites. So it's a low priority for most editors.

For the new dramas, we're beating out sites like JDorama.com to the punch, hence we're now setting the standards on romanizing drama names, and have the other sites like JDorama.com copy DramaWiki. A funny example of this is JDorama.com's entry of "Koumei ga Tsuji", which was copied from DramaWiki before it was corrected. But it's still wrong on JDorama.com because the admins there never re-visited the article to notice the error. So it is very important that, for the sake of setting the romanization of drama names on the Internet, it really starts on D-Addicts and DramaWiki.

--- groink

groink

Post by groink » Jun 2nd, '06, 02:31

To re-emphasize the purpose of DramaWiki:

DramaWiki's primary focus is on its TV drama information. DramaWiki also hosts artists who have taken part in either the casting or production of the TV drama. The artist articles are NOT meant to be free fanpages. Every artist has at least one fanpage outside of DramaWiki - so let them provide fan-based information like an artist likes/dislikes, desires, dreams, favorite _______, etc. We also do not want the articles to become storage places for URLs so that search engines like Google and Yahoo can pick up on them and boost the popularity of the linked sites. We consider this practice link spamming, and is no condoned on most systems - including other wiki's like Wikipedia and such. AND, we do not want to provide links to photo sites... Photo sites are not maintained by their administrators, and usually end up containing nudity and other material D-Addicts does not want to be associated with. This includes pre-defined search links, such as links to Google images - same reason. And last, leave out the artists' other works, such as CDs, photobooks, non-broadcast-TV plays, and other non-TV drama related information. Let the other wikis and fansites handle that kind of information.

MOST IMPORTANT - Do not practice plagiarism!!!!! Do not copy complete articles from Wikipedia and other web sites. Summaries from official web sites are okay - as long as you site them.

Keep the artist pages clean, and make sure the bulk of the weight of the content goes towards the artists' TV drama information. Basic information about the artist is welcome, but again make sure it does not shadow the primary purpose of DramaWiki - focus on TV dramas.

--- groink
Last edited by groink on Jun 9th, '06, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.