Shutting down the Tracker

News, Updates and Information about this site.
This section is important, please read it for changes about the site!
furransu

Postby furransu » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:38 am

Ruroshin wrote:
furransu wrote:well, just to give people some ideas, this is what i'll be doing from now and in the future
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_82656.htm

The only thing with what you're doing furransu is you're using DA to host the .torrent file which will get us take down notices. If you remove the attachment then its perfect.

alright its all good then :)

Ruroshin, do you think you can do a torrents page but without uploading the torrent to the server initially to create the thread? Because I like the format of the torrent page, its very organized.
In other words, the same torrent page just without the "Torrent" column and "Download" links, or maybe uploaders could insert for the Download links their own MU,MF torrent links etc..

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ruroshin » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:53 am

furransu wrote:
Ruroshin wrote:
furransu wrote:well, just to give people some ideas, this is what i'll be doing from now and in the future

The only thing with what you're doing furransu is you're using DA to host the .torrent file which will get us take down notices. If you remove the attachment then its perfect.

Ruroshin, do you think you can do a torrents page but without uploading the torrent to the server initially to create the thread? Because I like the format of the torrent page, its very organized.
In other words, the same torrent page just without the "Torrent" column and "Download" links, or maybe uploaders could insert for the Download links their own MU,MF torrent links etc..

Yup thats the plan.

recca_cool

Postby recca_cool » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:03 am

Ruroshin wrote:
furransu wrote:
Ruroshin wrote:

Yup thats the plan.

:cheers: Thank you, thank you.

I feel reassured now that almost nothing has changed; except the fact we have to download the torrent from non-DA source, and it is using a public tracker!

The burden is shifted slightly on the uploader side (uploading .torrent to X hosting service), but I'm sure the community will pull through, after all d-a is the best one-stop for all dorama needs :D (at least for me)

Dorama-kun

Postby Dorama-kun » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:41 pm

Why not just make the tracker semi-private?

It may not be in your tastes but it would solve seeding(irrelevant) problems and the tracker problem.

Open registrations for everyone but keep in mind for a ratio requirement (may lower rep). Since there's practically enough support to go around, server costs probably won't be a problem.

neofire

Postby neofire » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:51 pm

as mentioned before, making it private does not resolve the problem from the ISP.
The new system seems a good alternative.

RB

Postby RB » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:29 pm

Besides not hosting the torrent files, another solution would be moving the tracker somewhere else, but it is pretty costly and eventually it will be caught again.

I think they will still target you even if you don't have the torrents (for pointing out where the torrent files are, or encourage uploading and then pointing to them), but it may take a while until it happens (is D-Addicts in Australia?).

monkeymachine

Postby monkeymachine » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:24 pm

http://openbittorrent.com/ + Magnet links should solve the tracker and .torrent problem no? I mean they were designed for predicaments like this and most BT clients support Magnet URI by now.

saigo_x

Postby saigo_x » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:32 pm

Keiko1981 wrote:
saigo_x wrote:[Edit] Hmm, anyone planning to reup/reseed older files? I might do so for the few torrents I created at least. :unsure:

I plan to reupload and seed dramas when the new system has gotten on track.

Alright, I'll keep an eye out to see where I can help. It'll be better than seeding things individually.

alteclanding

Postby alteclanding » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:47 pm

Whoever here asking to upload stuff on openbitorrent is being, frankly, a bit of an ass.

As they state on their homepage: "We kindly ask you not to use the OBT trackers in torrents resulting in unauthorized distribution of copyrighted files (movies, music, games and so on)."

ajoy205

Postby ajoy205 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:06 pm

hey..
is this problem affected our download??
i'm donwloading something...
and if i'm not finishing my download by this weekend,
what will happen??

Amanogawa

Postby Amanogawa » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:10 pm

toyotaku wrote:
Ruroshin wrote:This is my plan for existing torrents: create a script to change all the torrents to use a public tracker instead of the da one. Allow a few days for people to redownload them. Then archive them all up and dump it on a few online storage site so the slower ppl can download them if they really want to.

I'm tired, therefore confused. :P

Does this mean I won't need to go back and reupload the dramas that I uploaded here or does this just postpone it for a while and I'll still need to re-up them when the new system is in place? I can and will upload all that I shared here with the exception of one series... the first 14 episodes of Aibo 8... I don't have those files anymore. I have 15 & 16 and also the this week's ep of "853," but it's probably best to wait until we're into the new system?

Geez... I'm sounding like a noob. sorry

I have Aibo 8 episodes 7-14, I'd be happy to help uploading them or whatever, I just have never done it before so I'd need a little help. (On a side note, I look forward to episode 15 & 16 :P )

I just want to thank D Addicts for all the Japanese dramas and variety shows and that I hope things work out for the best. I will just be happy to be able to download the shows in whatever way possible. :-)

kuro570

Postby kuro570 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:24 pm

I was wondering since we're using an external source to UL and DL files can we just simply add the actual file to say megaupload.com without going through all the steps of uploading a .torrent file just to download through torrent?
Last edited by kuro570 on Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VSS: Warui Yatsura

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ruroshin » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:40 pm

monkeymachine wrote:http://openbittorrent.com/ + Magnet links should solve the tracker and .torrent problem no? I mean they were designed for predicaments like this and most BT clients support Magnet URI by now.

Yes I will experiment with magnet links and see how it goes.

bestmariel

Postby bestmariel » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:18 am

Would it help if you used mediafire / MU / Rapdishare and the like to host the torrents?

peacht
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby peacht » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:00 am

ajoy205 wrote:hey..
is this problem affected our download??
i'm donwloading something...
and if i'm not finishing my download by this weekend,
what will happen??

Any current downloads should not be affected by any changes. Over time current torrents will die as people stop using them and no new people join the swarm.
As long as there is a seed, you should be able to finish your download.
If you have enjoyed series you found here then please help the community by offering to seed in Series Of The Month

TIticamara

Postby TIticamara » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:57 am

Thanks alot

Toru-chan

Postby Toru-chan » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:55 pm

ThePirateBay.org have stopped using their own dedicated tracker some time ago, and they're still going strong: They now rely on torrents being shared with DHT and it's working fine: http://thepiratebay.org/blog/175

recca_cool

Postby recca_cool » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:48 pm

Toru-chan wrote:ThePirateBay.org have stopped using their own dedicated tracker some time ago, and they're still going strong: They now rely on torrents being shared with DHT and it's working fine: http://thepiratebay.org/blog/175

I agree, but it is faster to join the "swarm" by connecting to a tracker :)

j4v.fansub

Postby j4v.fansub » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:04 pm

Hi all!
Dear Admin,
I think i can help provide an open torrent tracker... Please pm if it is needed!
Love DA! Love all!

recca_cool

Postby recca_cool » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:08 pm

j4v.fansub wrote:Hi all!
Dear Admin,
I think i can help provide an open torrent tracker... Please pm if it is needed!
Love DA! Love all!

wow nice :) that'll make things more standerdized!

yokey

Postby yokey » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:44 pm

NOOOOOOO!
It is sooooooo sad...TへT
I come here every single day...what can i do after DA leave me?
where can get J-dorama or TV?

maji gakkari desu...

mak621

Postby mak621 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:33 pm

use megaupload PLEEEZ!!! so much better cuz u dont have to worry bout people seeding plus its faster, way faster. NO MORE TORRENTS

lenrasoon

Postby lenrasoon » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:08 pm

mak621 wrote:use megaupload PLEEEZ!!! so much better cuz u dont have to worry bout people seeding plus its faster, way faster. NO MORE TORRENTS

not everyone can use megaupload, i think the DA Admin wants the best solution to all the users and not just a portion.

furransu

Postby furransu » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:26 pm

j4v.fansub wrote:Hi all!
Dear Admin,
Love DA! Love all!

that will be great :D

Hitokiri_Johndoesai

Postby Hitokiri_Johndoesai » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:32 pm

I think that this is the strongest blow tho the K-Drama/J-Drama community so far. D-Addcits is the main source where I find both Raw and Fansubbed dramas. After the tracker is gone, it will never be the same.

3. Go animesuki style, :thumleft:

I think option 3 will be the best for everyone. There are tons of sites out there offering DDLs.The best sharing method for the public would be torrents. I don't think that Rapidshare / Megaupload actually count for sharing. If the links are taken down by Rapidshare or Megaupload, they are gone forever.

hekimitsuru

Postby hekimitsuru » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:22 pm

Is is possible to use a combination of DDL (MF, SS etc) and IRC bots for uploading files and downloading files?

SARS-fansubs is using IRC bots and it is quite effective since the download speed is pretty fast.

OnlyWish

Postby OnlyWish » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:26 pm

this is sad. i've been coming to this site since dec 2003 but i lost the pw to my old account.

i hope #3 will happen. good luck ruroshin and thank you for all the work you've put into keeping the site open all these years.

garnet07

Postby garnet07 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:33 am

I've been with D-addicts since 2004 and I'm saddened by this news as well. 5 years is long, but still want it to continue. Without D-addicts, I wouldn't have been able to enjoy Asian shows at all. Hopefully all of the work of the fansubbers will be saved.

As for the torrent files solution, choices:

1. Animesuki style -- I have no problem with this at all, users can still add torrent files and download like always, there's many public trackers out there that can be utilized

2. IRC -- While I'm great at getting files from IRC with bots, most users will more likely have problems with the learning curve or they should stop being lazy and learn how to use IRC

3. Download hosters -- If it has to come down to this like how Aja-aja does it, then I would choose megaupload. Their downloading speeds are the best. Or http://www.multiupload.com/ which does an all in one.
Waiting:
J: WatashiGaRenaiDekinaiRiyuu, HimitsuErika, NankyokuTairiku, KaseifuNoMita, NazotokiDinner
K: TreeWithDeepRoots, FlowerShop, Me2Flower
C: InTimeWithYou

RB

Postby RB » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:48 am

garnet07 wrote:2. IRC -- While I'm great at getting files from IRC with bots, most users will more likely have problems with the learning curve or they should stop being lazy and learn how to use IRC

3. Download hosters -- If it has to come down to this like how Aja-aja does it, then I would choose megaupload. Their downloading speeds are the best. Or http://www.multiupload.com/ which does an all in one.

IRC has two problems: file location and bandwidth. Right now, if d-addicts were changed to IRC, it would be trivial for copyright owners to shut down the channel.

IRC is nice to start the distribution of a file (raws or subtitles) but when you want massive distribution for free, it isn't that good. That is where BT shines.

I agree about Megaupload, it is the best around. The only problem is having to split big files (like 720p files).

By the way, if d-addicts doesn't track statistics anymore, the "Top 10 Torrents requiring seeding" will throw incorrect results and should be removed.

Kazeyama

Postby Kazeyama » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:55 am

Thank you Ruroshin, furransu and the many others who are trying to figure out a solution to this problem. I come to this community once a day, sometimes twice, to get my J-dorama fix. I wish I could contribute something to the solution, however, it was a miracle I was even able to figure out this torrent business when I first signed on. So I leave it up to the brilliant minds working on a solution. The only thing I can offer is a monetary contribution if needed. Again, thank you for looking for ways to save this community! :salut:

ackirom

Postby ackirom » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:57 am

#1 is good, but I guess #3 is ultimately the best resort, if long run is what you're after.

Personally, I come to d-addicts for the community. I love this forum. It's so diverse. And it's already got a solid following. I get most of my videos elsewhere. I love that it's open to the public too. I got started by just lurking at first and reading all the posts... but eventually, I came across a topic that I wanted to respond to, and that's how I got started. I sure hope you we can at least keep the forums and just provide links to other places where the videos are available...

juzdiz

Postby juzdiz » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:56 am

Shocked at the news. I've been wondering why the tracker is down lately. Sadly, I don't have any suggestions on how to go about it.

I've been coming here for at least 2 years and it's a great community. I don't post much but I'm really happy I found this place. It totally developed my interest in Asian dramas. I don't know what else to say except

THANK YOU D-ADDICTS! :cry:

rarukufan

Postby rarukufan » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:03 pm

I am really really sad to hear about DA's tracker. I'm not just saying that, my heart is really heavy right now hearing this. It has been 6 years, almost to the day, since I became a member. It's like losing a trusted friend or pet that's always been there to bring a smile to my face. DA is my favorite site and it would be really strange to be without it. I haven't had cable TV for years coz I didn't need it anymore after joining DA. I just want you guys to know how important DA is to some of us.

Ruroshin, thank you so much for all your hard work. You're amazing and you've taken good care of us. But please give us all a chance to help you keep the DA community alive and make it stronger. Don't let them win and weaken our community. Let's do it... Switch to one of the recommended providers and go private with a ratio watch. Wouldn't you reach more people if DA remains strong and doesn't rely on outside sites that don't care about what you're trying to do. One more try with the tracker couldn't hurt, could it?!... As long as it doesn't put anyone in any danger. It sounds like everyone loves DA enough to make donations to help pay for it. Anyway, whatever you need, just let us know. DA can have my cable TV money. /c/^__^\

Godspeed,

raru

RivFader

Postby RivFader » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:25 pm

Hmmm...
I was too busy following the Olympic Hockey tournament.
Now I log on to my favourite website (and tracker), and i read that the plug on the DA tracker was pulled. :-( :cry:

I really believe DA needs to have a (public) tracker!!!
It's really nice to see the amount of seeders/leechers and stats integrated into the AD website!!!

Maybe simply a change to another host is a solution?
Perhaps the host will be more expensive, but then we need to donate more money.

Also, together with the new host, maybe a private tracker can be set up for the torrents? This may decrease the hit-and-run access to the tracker more.

TouchDown

Postby TouchDown » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:26 pm

I'm very sorry guys :-(

How we can help D-A website?

If we can help, please let us know.

Please, don't stop uploading dramas, shows, ... I'm only here for Gaki no tsukai, but I really enjoy this fantastic comunity.

oldasianguy

Postby oldasianguy » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:59 pm

Sorry to hear about the news of the closing of the tracker :cry: :cry: :cry:
Hope everything works out!!!

I 've been coming to this site for several years and it has been a reliable site

Good luck on the changes.........

chedia.levan

Postby chedia.levan » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:41 pm

Hi all!
I'm so sorry to hear that news.
D-A is very important part of my life. I was downloading videos almost every day.

I'm web programmer, so if site needs any help please PM me.

thanks.

thejellybean66

Postby thejellybean66 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:59 am

Is there anyway to do what www.asiatorrents.com is doing? Or maybe strike a partnership with them? I love DA...it's my favorite site (along with asiatorrents where I get my J-movies from).

juzdiz

Postby juzdiz » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:39 am

thejellybean66 wrote:Is there anyway to do what www.asiatorrents.com is doing? Or maybe strike a partnership with them? I love DA...it's my favorite site (along with asiatorrents where I get my J-movies from).
I've been wondering the same. Asiatorrents is strict on ratios but a 1:1 rule is fair IMO so I manage okay there.

rarukufan wrote: I haven't had cable TV for years coz I didn't need it anymore after joining DA.
Come to think of it, I haven't watched cable since I started with D/A either. Really wish this site the best. I hope everything gets resolved soon.

Toru-chan

Postby Toru-chan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:51 am

saigo_x wrote:You don't have to redownload the torrent. But it's easier than explaining to people how to add the tracker URL's in their particular client..

It would be worth explaining the difference between (1) redownloading *the .torrent file* is different from (2) (deleting and) redownloading *the torrent contents*. People only need to do (1). uTorrent for example on seeing the new *.torrent file* will say it already has that torrent and do you just want to add the trackers from it? Answer yes, and your existing torrent continues without you having to redownload it from scratch.

recca_cool wrote:
Toru-chan wrote:ThePirateBay.org have stopped using their own dedicated tracker some time ago, and they're still going strong: They now rely on torrents being shared with DHT and it's working fine: http://thepiratebay.org/blog/175

I agree, but it is faster to join the "swarm" by connecting to a tracker :)

Yes, a public tracker (with DHT in the background) is best.

I'd caution against megaupload, or any of the other file sharing websites like rapidshare. The problem with these is that it's exceptionally easy to delete content, and and the services keep changing their models trying to monetize the downloads, introducing download limits and annoying captcha. If megaupload was suddenly hit with the full bandwidth load of d-torrents you may find them having second thoughts. Other services like uploading.com started out nice but once they got the content turned the screws on their users to the point they are largely avoided now.

Torrents are still the best way to go.

ellas

Postby ellas » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:16 am

:cry: I loved D-Addicts, i actually think it was heaven for me because it always answered all my answers, like some kind of Drama Bible you know lmao.
I'm so sad and also thankful to DA for providing torrents for so many times.
As for me, i agree with the previous comment, megaupload, and all direct download solutions aren't reliable and stable, torrents really was THE answer for me, never failed me...

Thank you ! <3

takkichi

Postby takkichi » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:21 am

We are doing renovating on our house and my computer was disconnected. I just hooked it back up and it's a good thing because I just read the notice about D-Addicts closing it's tracker. I have not posted in a while and had to log in to say thank you to Ruroshin and everyone who has made it possible for us to download our favorite dramas all these years. I'm sorry I can't contribute any suggestions as I'm not good with computer stuff but just wanted to say thank you!

.Silent.

Postby .Silent. » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:45 am

OMG, never thought that d-addicts could have such a problem :cry:
That's bad. I haven't got much time lately because of my exams at uni and now such a news. Terrible.
ImageImageImage

RivFader

Postby RivFader » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:37 pm

Maybe changing to other tracker software solutions could help you guys.

Opentracker is well known as a very good and fast tracker with a very low footprint.
http://erdgeist.org/arts/software/opentracker/

ooijanice

Postby ooijanice » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:10 pm

D-Addicts is heaven to me too.
A million thanks, dear Ruroshin & Admin staff of D-Addicts for sharing your hardwork with us.
I pray & hope D-Addicts last forever......

DataSpy

Postby DataSpy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:44 pm

I love this place and have been using it for years and greatly appreciate all of the hard work from the staff, uploaders, fansubbers, and seeders! If money is needed please let the community know, I'm sure everyone would pitch in what they can!

saigo_x

Postby saigo_x » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:32 pm

Toru-chan wrote:
saigo_x wrote:You don't have to redownload the torrent. But it's easier than explaining to people how to add the tracker URL's in their particular client..

It would be worth explaining the difference between (1) redownloading *the .torrent file* is different from (2) (deleting and) redownloading *the torrent contents*. People only need to do (1). uTorrent for example on seeing the new *.torrent file* will say it already has that torrent and do you just want to add the trackers from it? Answer yes, and your existing torrent continues without you having to redownload it from scratch.

Not sure why you replied in this thread instead of the original one, but you have a point. I should have made it clear that when I said "redownload the torrent" I was referring to the torrent file and not the download content. You do not have to start your download over again. That's a nice feature on uTorrent where it adds the trackers to the existing torrent download. Azureus/Vuze doesn't appear to have that feature although I can add to or edit the tracker list easily enough.

uchinanchuu

Postby uchinanchuu » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:43 pm

now I see, why my dramatorrent are mostly w/ offline trackers... but utorrent is doing a fine job compensating this by DHT and PEX.

Anyways THX sofar for hosting and tracking...

the trackers seem to work fine.

dweji

All good things...

Postby dweji » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:17 am

I knew this would come sooner or later, but I sure am grateful for the time at DA. Back in the day, you had to make contacts and somehow convince them to mail CDs to you. What a pain, and quality was low back then. DA was like a dream come true.

Thanks to all the DA staff. Hope you find a good solution for everyone.

rcblue

Postby rcblue » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:40 am

Thank you DA for many years of services and success.....I do hope that DA will find a way to continue its existence.

okumasama

Postby okumasama » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:22 am

Sad to see the trackers going down but rapidshare and such wouldn't hurt much either.

incrowdcynic

Postby incrowdcynic » Fri May 28, 2010 8:05 am

Oh, boy. I take a little trip for a few months and return to this?

I think Ruroshin is kidding himself if he thinks that the community is the only thing that matters, and not the videos. The community is about the videos!

Maa ne, whatever happens, happens.

Saltine

Postby Saltine » Fri May 28, 2010 10:19 am

incrowdcynic wrote:Oh, boy. I take a little trip for a few months and return to this?

I think Ruroshin is kidding himself if he thinks that the community is the only thing that matters, and not the videos. The community is about the videos!

Sure videos plays an important role in a drama community but here (and not only here) you can find also a lot of useful informations, friends, help.
What matters to you, may be less important for others.
Ruroshin have done a wonderful job, facing many problems, to keep all things together.
The best solution I think.

incrowdcynic

Postby incrowdcynic » Sun May 30, 2010 1:16 pm

Saltine wrote:
incrowdcynic wrote:Oh, boy. I take a little trip for a few months and return to this?

Sure videos plays an important role in a drama community but here (and not only here) you can find also a lot of useful informations, friends, help.
What matters to you, may be less important for others.
Ruroshin have done a wonderful job, facing many problems, to keep all things together.
The best solution I think.

Touché. Despite my cynicism about what people value, I've enjoyed reading on these forums. Obviously I've participated little, but I come here just to read recommendations and opinions on films and culture. It is quite a trove.

dreamer08

Postby dreamer08 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:37 pm

same here
i enjoy reading the forum even if i don't reply, i love reading what people have to say about dramas and the like and D-addicts is one of the best places to do that

rex88

shutting down of trackers

Postby rex88 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:42 am

@Ruroshin.....hey! i recently joined and the thing all u guys and the sub providers are doing is a great job..its been only 3 or 4 days for me (was lookin for eng subs rotk 2010)..anyways i read your post on the problem and it seems to me that u are quite right..though it saddens me and all of us who are a part of d-addicts taking such steps is sometimes necessary. Ruro ...option 3 is the best but 2 is also worth considering..but u guys know better .the most important thing is that the people themselves will have to take initiative if we are to use public torrents we can all agree on that and put a joint effort ...ruro and all the fansub teams you have my support :thumright: :thumright:

Tass

Postby Tass » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:49 am

Dudes,

look at the date ffs!

this topic is over for almost a year...

l2read

roronoa

Postby roronoa » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:11 pm

Many thanks for your effort,
I'm new here, but you satifsfied my appetitie of asian drama, and such a community of fansubs nad others have to be protected,
I think #3 option is good. nyatorrents is good at anime as you good at drama