Community Moderation

News, Updates and Information about this site.
This section is important, please read it for changes about the site!
Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Community Moderation

Postby Ruroshin » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:42 am

Ok, its been bought to my attention that the subtitle forum could do with some more moderating as the number of problems in that forum is increasing.

I have an idea and I would like feedback on this.

What if I implemented a delete by popular vote function? It would work like this:

* Every post will have 2 new buttons available to registered users, a Delete and Keep button.
* Users can vote to have a particular post deleted.
* A user can vote once per post
* A user can vote Delete which adds +1
* A user can vote Keep which adds -1
* Users must have 10 or more post in order to vote
* After the amount of vote passes a certain threshold the post will be hidden and the moderators will be notified that the post should be deleted.
* The owner of the topic can vote to instantly delete a post in their topic, i.e. their vote adds +threshold.

This way its kind of the users moderate themselves, if a group of users try and abuse the function they will have the ability removed from them and a post is never permanently deleted until a moderator does the actual delete.

What do you think? What would be a good threshold to start off with?

ironicwave
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ironicwave » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:28 am

i think it's a great idea... 8)

users can opt to vote for delete rather than flame someone, if a post is chosen to be deleted by mods, the offender will get feedback as to why...
since abuse of the vote leads to loss of privilege, chances are fair people will reserve voting to what they deem serious offenses rather than niggly stuff...

as to the threshold, i think 10 votes would be okay, if only one or two users have a problem with something, or if it's really offensive, they still have report button, which usually leads to immediate action...
i think it's also good for the owner's vote alone to push an offensive post to threshold, even just the mildly irritating ones, at least they wont have to respond in like manner anymore...
plus, the added control should also remind everyone that flaming isn't really necessary, especially the niggly stuff... :sweat:

btw, what happens to "voted off posts" that have been quoted? do mods edit the quote?
___________________SARS-Fansubs______________________________________________________

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ruroshin » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:38 am

ironicwave wrote:btw, what happens to "voted off posts" that have been quoted? do mods edit the quote?

ah well can't really do anything about quoted post, I suppose if it was really that bad the users can vote those one deleted too.

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Postby gryzze » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:47 am

Sounds like a good idea... :-)

Would a moderator be able to keep a post rather than delete it?

Will the current # of votes be visible for the post, because why else would anyway use the keep button?

If someone abuses this function can we see who they are?

I think a 10 post threshold might be too much but I'm not sure. Maybe we could start with 5 posts and see how it works.

ironicwave
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ironicwave » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:54 am

gryzze wrote:
I think a 10 post threshold might be too much but I'm not sure. Maybe we could start with 5 posts and see how it works.

i wasn't too sure that 10 isn't too many either, but then i'm new at this... :sweat:
5 sounds good to me... :thumright:
___________________SARS-Fansubs______________________________________________________

DTLCT
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby DTLCT » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:56 am

I think this is a great idea. Like ironicwave pointed out, it's better than flaming out at others and using any means to attack each other. It would reduce a lot of headaches for MODs to try and resolve the conflicts.
Reflections - Latest Blog

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Postby gryzze » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:56 am

ironicwave wrote:i wasn't too sure that 10 isn't too many either, but then i'm new at this... :sweat:
5 sounds good to me... :thumright:

I'm no expert either... :-)

I was just thinking that it might take a while to build up 10 votes and during that time a flame war might start...

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ruroshin » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:49 am

gryzze wrote:Sounds like a good idea... :-)

Would a moderator be able to keep a post rather than delete it?

Will the current # of votes be visible for the post, because why else would anyway use the keep button?

If someone abuses this function can we see who they are?

I'm open to suggestion for details.

current # of votes can be visible.

I'm thinking the post once it reaches the threshold the post itself will still be there but the content of the post be hidden to the public and only moderators can view them. I'm still undecided if this is a good idea or not i.e. leave the post there minus the message body so the public knows its been voted off or hide the whole post completely. Opinions?

I'm thinking of reusing the report function to alert moderators. They can then check out the post and decide to either:

* "undelete" it
* leave it as is, i.e. hidden from the public but moderators can still view it
* permanently delete it

ironicwave
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ironicwave » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:09 am

the people who voted it off will know what's up when it's hidden and i don't think it's necessary to have the post remain up until it's decided by a mod that it's not necessary to delete after all...
that would be kind of like making the bad kid stand in the corner for all to see... somehow... XD

i was going to ask about a similar function as report to alert mods, so i think that's cool...

what happens to posts that have been ruled to stay up?
will the vote function be permanently turned off for that post? it would be stupid to have to go through the whole process over and over...

gixo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby gixo » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:21 pm

ironicwave wrote:
will the vote function be permanently turned off for that post? it would be stupid to have to go through the whole process over and over...

I don't think that it really matters if the function is turned off for a certain post or not. A lot of posters don't even read posts on the same side let alone posts from previous pages. So the problem should solve itself as time goes by. (unless some idiots pick up the post again :roll )

ironicwave
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ironicwave » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:19 pm

not that we have any idiots here... :whistling: XD

khmai_kandi22

Postby khmai_kandi22 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:30 pm

Sounds like a great idea. If this was implemented, it'll cut down a whole lot of unecessary flame wars and spam on the forum. Plus, less work for the mods/admins. :-)

Would this only be implemented to the subtitle thread only? Or will it be implemented to all? I think the subtitle thread, torrent threads, and discussion threads are the key point. Maybe testing it out in the subtitle threads first and see from there... :unsure:

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby InTr4nceWeTrust » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:11 pm

I like the idea of voting. Perhaps it would also be good to allow the topic starter to lock their own thread. Although, that ability might go to the head of the topic starter.
ありません

khmai_kandi22

Postby khmai_kandi22 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:08 pm

InTr4nceWeTrust wrote:I like the idea of voting. Perhaps it would also be good to allow the topic starter to lock their own thread. Although, that ability might go to the head of the topic starter.

Giving the topic starters the option to lock their own thread, might not be a good idea. Although it could help prevent flaming wars from happening, users will start creating new threads as to why it was lock and the topic starter can abuse it as much as they want. :whistling:

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby jholic » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:08 am

i like this idea, but i'm a bit of a pessimist when it comes to these things.

1. ten negative posts is a decent threshold to hide the entire post, but i say a VOTER should have 50 posts - at least - to be eligible. we have enough people trying to cheat for sotw/sotm. i can just imagine what people will do for this privilege.

2. i'm not completely keen on having the original poster (OP) completely control his/her thread at the whim of one button. (basically dictating what belongs in the thread and what does not.)

3. ironic makes an interesting point about what happens, if indeed, a mod decides the post is ok - and it was the OP that did not want it in there.

i love fansubbers. i protect them whenever possible. they do invaluable work that benefits the majority of this community. but having seen many of the REPORTs that come in, i have to say that some of them are made on criticisms that are quite mild. many are called 'flaming' posts that (IMHO) do not even come close to what i have seen as flames.

when a post does not have any constructive value and is simply an insult, i delete it instantly. no questions asked. not even a warning. i have deleted TONS of posts in this manner.

but there have been quite a few posts that are not nearly severe, which have been REPORTed as flames. i know many fansub groups probably hate my guts because i did not protect them as they felt i should have. i apologize, but like mizune, i feel there is sometimes a need to develop thicker skin.

i like this idea. i want to see it implemented. but i'd like to see a few modifications to the criteria before we do so.
Use THUMBS UP/DOWN buttons to KEEP or DELETE posts.
If you see SPAM or ABUSE, use the REPORT button.

khmai_kandi22

Postby khmai_kandi22 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:44 am

ironicwave wrote:the people who voted it off will know what's up when it's hidden and i don't think it's necessary to have the post remain up until it's decided by a mod that it's not necessary to delete after all...
that would be kind of like making the bad kid stand in the corner for all to see... somehow... XD

i was going to ask about a similar function as report to alert mods, so i think that's cool...

I completely agree with you on this one.

As for posts that have been ruled to stay up, I think it's safe to turn off the vote button... UNLESS, a user goes ahead and quotes that post to use it to flame or attack someone, then that's a different story...

If someone quotes the post that's ruled to stay up to attack or flame, is there a way to turn off the quote button for that particular post? Then again, ppl will just copy and paste. XD

Daijoubu

Postby Daijoubu » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:25 am

This method seemed to help youtube clean up some of the spams on video comments so there's some hope.

I don't know, however, how helpful it'll be in helping reduce the workload for the admins; I have a feeling they'll be constantly be informed of new posts to delete.

Good luck with this plan though.
-Qwin-

DTLCT
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby DTLCT » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:50 am

I don't think it's necessary to inform mods and admins over and over. When the thread disappear after a certain amount of posts, mods will see it in their "MOD panel" and make the decision to delete the posts or not. They wouldn't need to be informed over and over again by PMs unless there's like a mistake of some sort. If there's like both voting and sending messages, then it would be double work - not cutting back. *shrugs*

About the threas appearing afterwards or not, I think just make it disappear or people will ask about it, etc. I know that there are no idiots around here or at least I hope not, but maybe new members or people who are unfamiliar with the system will ask out of curiosity and then the whole thing will start up again with the headaches, etc.

ironicwave
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ironicwave » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:20 am

it's not whole threads disappearing that we're talking about, but single "voted off" posts...
i don't think people are inclined to ask after them, i would think people would more likely ask if a blank message stayed up, but even then i doubt it...

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby lilswtangel » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:41 pm

I'm also not very keen on the part where the original owner of the thread is allowed sole control of his/her thread. IMO, that would somewhat negate the 10 votes option.

Otherwise, the entire idea sounds pretty good to me though I'm not sure implementing this system would make this job any easier for the mods/staff members...wells, at least not at the very beginning.

Hopefully, this new system might cut down on the flaming in threads and the ever-growing offensive posts.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ruroshin » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:02 pm

How about the owner of the thread vote counts as +2/-2 ?

amrayu
Administrator
Administrator

Postby amrayu » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:24 pm

I agree with the community modding.
5 is a good way to start and thread owner +2/-2 sounds good too.

I haven't really read through all of the posts here, but will mods be able to see who voted?
I think we should have that feature to stop suspicious activity as well. :mrgreen:
Follow SARS-Fansubs on Twitter now!
Get up-to-date info on dramas and fansubbing!

DTLCT
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby DTLCT » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:14 am

ironicwave wrote:it's not whole threads disappearing that we're talking about, but single "voted off" posts...
i don't think people are inclined to ask after them, i would think people would more likely ask if a blank message stayed up, but even then i doubt it...

Sorry! My bad! Must had mis-read it somewhere along the way. :-(

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ruroshin » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:28 am

amrayu wrote:I haven't really read through all of the posts here, but will mods be able to see who voted?
I think we should have that feature to stop suspicious activity as well. :mrgreen:

yes they will be able to.

khmai_kandi22

Postby khmai_kandi22 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:43 am

Ruroshin wrote:How about the owner of the thread vote counts as +2/-2 ?

*nods* Sounds good to me :lol

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby aNToK » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:55 am

Hmm... Am I the only one who finds it ironic that I haven't been around much lately and the flame wars have actually gotten higher? I would have thought it'd be the other way around....

I definitely like the idea of the community being able to vote off certain posts, but what's to prevent the same poster from just reposting the same thing again and again if they so choose, starting the "vote count" all over again and wasting everyone's time yet again? I seem to recall a certain jackass a while back who went back and got, uh, creative, with the fansubber's wiki and I ended up spending quite a bit of time going back and removing all the little homosexual pics, etc.... Would an idea like restricting someone whose post has been voted off from posting back in that topic be difficult to implement? Or an automatic 1 or 2 week ban from posting at all in the forums? Just a few thoughts.
I am not obsessed. I am just very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very focussed...

gixo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby gixo » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:36 am

A ban sounds good if s/he posts sth annoying again. But banning someone after one post? That's too harsh. I mean maybe s/he wants to apologize and can't even do that then. So maybe a warning after a second "off voted" post would be good. and if s/he gets a 3rd vote within a certain time then get banned for some time. However there are a lot of idiots who simply create new accounts to complain or start trouble again if there actual account is banned. So don't know if banning someone actually helps.

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Postby gryzze » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:41 am

I don't believe in auto-banning people. If someone repeatedly make inappropriate posts the moderators will notice and decide whether a ban is needed.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ruroshin » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:46 am

aNToK wrote:I definitely like the idea of the community being able to vote off certain posts, but what's to prevent the same poster from just reposting the same thing again and again if they so choose, starting the "vote count" all over again and wasting everyone's time yet again? I seem to recall a certain jackass a while back who went back and got, uh, creative, with the fansubber's wiki and I ended up spending quite a bit of time going back and removing all the little homosexual pics, etc.... Would an idea like restricting someone whose post has been voted off from posting back in that topic be difficult to implement? Or an automatic 1 or 2 week ban from posting at all in the forums? Just a few thoughts.

Thats where the moderators earn their keep :-)

gixo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby gixo » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:23 pm

gryzze wrote:I don't believe in auto-banning people. If someone repeatedly make inappropriate posts the moderators will notice and decide whether a ban is needed.

hmm... not autobanned then, but maybe that the mods get an automatic message that someone is causing trouble over and over again, so they can decide what to do. After all, the mods can't be everywhere and might miss sth (though they are doing a great job so far :thumright: )

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby jholic » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:29 am

I'm not sure implementing this system would make this job any easier for the mods/staff members...wells, at least not at the very beginning

this is a concern of mine as well, which is why i suggest a threshold higher than 10 posts to be eligible to 'community moderate'. amount of posts OBVIOUSLY does not indicate intelligence (i'm a prime example), but i prefer to empower members that have shown some active participation AND i want to deter the temptation of some prankster who decides to create several nicks just to vote on posts.

How about the owner of the thread vote counts as +2/-2 ?

woah. i was thinking like +/-4 or something, but i guess two is fine.

I haven't really read through all of the posts here, but will mods be able to see who voted? I think we should have that feature to stop suspicious activity as well.

just to clarify. ONLY THE MODS will be able to see who voted, correct? otherwise, voting is anonymous to all other members?

banning someone after one post? That's too harsh. I mean maybe s/he wants to apologize and can't even do that then.

this was an excellent point. i also do not believe in auto-banning. the mod job can be tough work. but one of the pleasures is when you get to CLEANSE our community of boneheads that have nothing better to do with their free time.

not autobanned then, but maybe that the mods get an automatic message that someone is causing trouble over and over again, so they can decide what to do. After all, the mods can't be everywhere and might miss sth (though they are doing a great job so far)

WHAT?!?!! we're not everywhere? we don't give you the impression of omnipotence? geez, i better step up my game!! :mrgreen: haha, i'm just kidding! :P

well, i don't think 'community moderating' is going to replace the REPORT button. nor does it trump the judgment of a mod. i can tell you that if some bozo decides to post unprovoked insults for no reason, Tr4nce, ironic, habukie and the others are not going to kick up their feet and wait for 10 votes. they're going to open up a can of moderator whoop-azz and lay the smackdown!!

thanks for everyone's support of DA. i think this is an great feature for our community.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ruroshin » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:20 am

jholic wrote:
I haven't really read through all of the posts here, but will mods be able to see who voted? I think we should have that feature to stop suspicious activity as well.

just to clarify. ONLY THE MODS will be able to see who voted, correct? otherwise, voting is anonymous to all other members?

That is correct. I have started programming it, if I'm not too lazy I will finish it this weekend.

gixo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby gixo » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:28 pm

jholic wrote:
not autobanned then, but maybe that the mods get an automatic message that someone is causing trouble over and over again, so they can decide what to do. After all, the mods can't be everywhere and might miss sth (though they are doing a great job so far)

WHAT?!?!! we're not everywhere? we don't give you the impression of omnipotence? geez, i better step up my game!! :mrgreen: haha, i'm just kidding! :P

well, i don't think 'community moderating' is going to replace the REPORT button. nor does it trump the judgment of a mod. i can tell you that if some bozo decides to post unprovoked insults for no reason, Tr4nce, ironic, habukie and the others are not going to kick up their feet and wait for 10 votes. they're going to open up a can of moderator whoop-azz and lay the smackdown!!

haha, I actually got the impression that you guys are nearly omnipotent, but only nearly. :lol
You are right, "community moderating" isn't going to replace the "Report" button. If a remark is really insulting of course you shouldn't wait for 10 votes.
But something like a counting system still 'd be nice. Let's say someone says sth stupid, s/he wouldn't be necessarily banned after one remark, right? but the post mightbe voted of. And if s/he doen't post anything within the next time, you might forget that remark and the poster. but maybe s/he gonna post some stupid comment in another thread some weeks later and so on. So if someone already received like 10 erased posts, doesn't that mean s/he does sth wrong? Might be a good idea to send her/him a reminder with the FAQs or whatever so s/he might actually change a little. At least I hope that'll be the result. But there are some ignorant people around the net, who won't change their attitude even if you tell them over and over again.

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby InTr4nceWeTrust » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:35 pm

jholic wrote:well, i don't think 'community moderating' is going to replace the REPORT button. nor does it trump the judgment of a mod. i can tell you that if some bozo decides to post unprovoked insults for no reason, Tr4nce, ironic, habukie and the others are not going to kick up their feet and wait for 10 votes. they're going to open up a can of moderator whoop-azz and lay the smackdown!!

can you smellelelelelel...what jholic...is cooking? : P
ありません

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ruroshin » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:25 am

Ok, the community moderation has been implemented.

Users must have 50 posts or more before they are given this privilege.

Those users with the privilege will see next to the report button, 2 new icon.

click on the thumbs down will add +1 to vote delete the post and likewise clicking on thumbs up will add -1. If you're the topic owner you get +2/-2.

Moderators will also see an extra button to view the vote log. When a post reaches 5 vote its hidden from the users, moderators will still be able to see them. A report will be automatically made of this event although no email will be sent to the moderators so just check the report queue.

Try it out and give me feedback over the week. What I'm looking for is:
* is the post threshold of 5 sufficient
* is the minimun post number 50 too high or too low
* is the +2/-2 too high or too low for the topic owner
* moderators any other function you feel you need to better perform your duties?

Report any errors or problems here.
Last edited by Ruroshin on Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Postby gryzze » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:11 pm

Looks great!

Could you put a warning/question when people press the buttons?

I know that people occasionally press "Report" instead of "Post Reply" / "Quote" so it might be necessary to avoid mistake votes.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ruroshin » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:02 pm

gryzze wrote:Looks great!

Could you put a warning/question when people press the buttons?

I know that people occasionally press "Report" instead of "Post Reply" / "Quote" so it might be necessary to avoid mistake votes.

ok done. User will get a confirmation prompt now.

I also forgot to mention the vote count is displayed at the top of each post next to the post subject.

biniBningPunkista

Postby biniBningPunkista » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:21 pm

i definitely like the idea. thanks for doing this!!! :D

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby InTr4nceWeTrust » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:00 pm

Looks great. I think this new feature will do a lot of good. I do have one issue, though. I don't think we should be able to vote on our own posts. With a post threshold of 5, being able to give each of our own posts a -1 or -2 makes it a bit harder to vote out a post.

Also, if a post gets voted to be hidden/deleted, will the person who posted it be able to view/edit/delete it?
ありません

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby InTr4nceWeTrust » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:05 pm

test post

Please vote this post for deletion. I'd like to see it in action.
ありません

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Postby gryzze » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:18 pm

InTr4nceWeTrust wrote:Please vote this post for deletion. I'd like to see it in action.

Done. Can you leave it in the reports section for a while once it gets there, I'd like to see it as well...

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby InTr4nceWeTrust » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:19 pm

will do, gryzze. thanks for the vote ^_^
ありません

ironicwave
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ironicwave » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:27 pm

voted... XD haha, this is pretty cool, funny to see the thumbs disappear...
btw ruroshin, thumbs UP is for keeping and thumbs DOWN for deleting... :sweat:

sweetanna

Postby sweetanna » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:33 pm

I voted to delete to help out on this trial ...(pretty cool btw)

the vote count went back to zero now...is it supposed to do that? :unsure:

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ruroshin » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:39 pm

sweetanna wrote:I voted to delete to help out on this trial ...(pretty cool btw)

where? I can see the post, the vote count is at 5

InTr4nceWeTrust wrote:Looks great. I think this new feature will do a lot of good. I do have one issue, though. I don't think we should be able to vote on our own posts. With a post threshold of 5, being able to give each of our own posts a -1 or -2 makes it a bit harder to vote out a post.

hrm yeah ok will fix that one up tonight.
InTr4nceWeTrust wrote:Also, if a post gets voted to be hidden/deleted, will the person who posted it be able to view/edit/delete it?

nope unless you're a moderator.

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby InTr4nceWeTrust » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:51 pm

thanks for the votes. glad to see it working. ~_~ @ the 2 reports though.
ありません

amrayu
Administrator
Administrator

Postby amrayu » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:57 pm

One suggestion. Once a post hits 5 votes, no one can vote on it anymore so that'll cut down on Reported posts plus emails. :)
Or ppl can still vote but once a post hits 5 votes, only 1 email is sent.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ruroshin » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:58 pm

amrayu wrote:One suggestion. Once a post hits 5 votes, no one can vote on it anymore so that'll cut down on Reported posts plus emails. :)

yeah i thought about that, the only people that can vote past 5 votes are moderators since they're the only ones that can see it :-)

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Postby gryzze » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:01 pm

I see that the test post got reported now, but where is the option to keep the post?

amrayu
Administrator
Administrator

Postby amrayu » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:02 pm

Ruroshin wrote:
amrayu wrote:One suggestion. Once a post hits 5 votes, no one can vote on it anymore so that'll cut down on Reported posts plus emails. :)

yeah i thought about that, the only people that can vote past 5 votes are moderators since they're the only ones that can see it :-)

Good job! Looks like a good feature so far. :salut:

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ruroshin » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:03 pm

gryzze wrote:I see that the test post got reported now, but where is the option to keep the post?

oh yeah :lol will implement that feature tonight.

amrayu
Administrator
Administrator

Postby amrayu » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:04 pm

gryzze wrote:I see that the test post got reported now, but where is the option to keep the post?

I think you just delete the post via normal modding methods. But if you want to keep just leave it as is?
This might prove troublesome later on? What if a mod wants to keep but another deletes it?

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ruroshin » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:31 pm

amrayu wrote:

I think you just delete the post via normal modding methods. But if you want to keep just leave it as is?
This might prove troublesome later on? What if a mod wants to keep but another deletes it?

I will have to implement the moderator keep function otherwise the users will not be able to see the post anymore. I think the moderator keep function will clear out the report but what to do next I'm still deciding on.

I'm thinking of either doing:

a. add -20 to the vote count so that its visible again but it allows the community to again vote it off if they feel that strongly against it.

b. add a new flag to indicate the post has been kept by a moderator and made visible to the public again and no more voting on the post is possible.

opinions?

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby InTr4nceWeTrust » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:42 pm

-20? for a total of -15? seems a bit much. i think -10 for a total of -5 and a flag to indicate that it's been voted off before and set for "keep". if it gets voted off again, then the moderators should have the option for either permanent keep or delete (no more future voting for that post).
ありません

toyotaku

Postby toyotaku » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:47 pm

Ruroshin wrote:Try it out and give me feedback over the week. What I'm looking for is:
* is the post threshold of 5 sufficient

Probably, since it prompts for a moderator to make a decision (which I think I understand is what would happen).
Ruroshin wrote:* is the minimun post number 50 too high or too low

I think that's a good number. It's not so high that it seems unattainable (that's actually pretty easy to get to with even minimal involvement), but high enough that I would hope it would prevent the posting frenzy that occurs with such requirements.
Ruroshin wrote:* is the +2/-2 too high or too low for the topic owner

I'm not sure how to word this, so bear with me. I may not understand why it's so important for a topic owner to have more of an impact (and I'm assuming this system would be applied to ALL topics, not just subtitle threads, right?). What's to stop a topic owner from voting against a post for no other reason than they disagree with it? The threads I've enjoyed most on this forum have been the ones where there's been differences of opinion (fortunately handled without flaming most of the time) and I'd hate to see the freedom of discussion hampered. I also don't mean to make a mountain out of a mole hill... perhaps it wouldn't be an issue, either from the beginning or once the newness of the system wore off. I just don't get why the topic owner should have a higher vote (other than in problematic subtitle threads, where I do understand why the fansubber would want to nip things in the bud quickly).

Thanks for all this hard work, Ruroshin.

sweetanna

Postby sweetanna » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:48 pm

Ruroshin wrote:
sweetanna wrote:I voted to delete to help out on this trial ...(pretty cool btw)

where? I can see the post, the vote count is at 5

what I meant was that when I voted the count went back to zero and I could see the post still...

but I left the thread in the meantime and came back now to find that the post has disappeared...so I guess it's working ok...

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Postby gryzze » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:00 pm

Ruroshin wrote:I'm thinking of either doing:

a. add -20 to the vote count so that its visible again but it allows the community to again vote it off if they feel that strongly against it.

b. add a new flag to indicate the post has been kept by a moderator and made visible to the public again and no more voting on the post is possible.

opinions?

I don't think the "a" option is necessary. They can still use the report button if they think the decision was wrong. I'd go with "b".

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby InTr4nceWeTrust » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:02 pm

Good point, gryzze. I withdraw my last suggestion.
ありません

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby lilswtangel » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:27 pm

@InTr4nce: hope you don't mind, but I tested the vote option on your post. the new system works like a charm.....though it looks as if my latest vote was the trigger of your post's deletion.. ^^;; gomenasai~

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby InTr4nceWeTrust » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:18 am

no problem, lilswtangel. you actually voted on a different post than the others did ^_^"
ありません

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby jholic » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:04 am

Ruro:

thanks for taking many of the suggestions into consideration.

i have a few more:

1. i think the votes to delete should be increased to 10. the reason for this is NO ONE votes to keep a post unless they start seeing negative votes. but by five votes, the post may already be gone before anyone can try to support it. if ten is too many, maybe seven or eight?

2. Delete Vote is a bit confusing. And when you vote to KEEP, it's negative, but if you vote to DELETE, it's positive. seems a bit counter-intuitive. what about POST RATING (10 to delete)? then a vote to keep is positive, but a vote to delete is negative.

3. i agree w/ gryzze that a revived post should just be flagged with no additional voting. is it possible to place a note in POST RATING, "kept by mod, REPORT if needed".

but the feature seems pretty neat so far.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ruroshin » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:19 am

jholic wrote:Ruro:

thanks for taking many of the suggestions into consideration.

i have a few more:

1. i think the votes to delete should be increased to 10. the reason for this is NO ONE votes to keep a post unless they start seeing negative votes. but by five votes, the post may already be gone before anyone can try to support it. if ten is too many, maybe seven or eight?

We'll see after people have used it in earnest.

jholic wrote:2. Delete Vote is a bit confusing. And when you vote to KEEP, it's negative, but if you vote to DELETE, it's positive. seems a bit counter-intuitive. what about POST RATING (10 to delete)? then a vote to keep is positive, but a vote to delete is negative.

Yeah you maybe right, I was thinking about this today. Perhaps I got the thing around the wrong way. It would be more intuiative if the a DELETE vote -1 and a KEEP vote +1 i.e. thumbs up +1 and thumbs down -1 then reverse the polarity of the threshold so that -5 triggers the post to be deleted. I can then change "Delete Vote" to "Post Rating". What does everybody think?

jholic wrote:3. i agree w/ gryzze that a revived post should just be flagged with no additional voting. is it possible to place a note in POST RATING, "kept by mod, REPORT if needed".

but the feature seems pretty neat so far.

seems to be the popular option so far.

gixo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby gixo » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:32 am

I understand that the post of "InTr4nceWeTrust" got deleted because of votes. So it simply diasappeared without any sign left? hmmm... that might lead to some confusion if someone actually answered that post and then nobody understands what s/he is talking about.

haha, do you realize that people can vote "when are the next subs coming out" posts off, so that the fansubbers won't see them and therefor won't delay their releases? Actually a good way, to have some less whinning and angry supporters.
Last edited by gixo on Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ruroshin » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:41 pm

Ok I've reversed the polarity, thumbs up now adds +1 and thumbs down -1. The threshold for a post to be voted off is now -5.

Moderators if you click on the thunbs up button for a post that is at or gone pass -5 then that post will become "undeleted".

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby jholic » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:32 am

Ruro, did you change the LOG button somehow? whenever i click on it, it just brings me to the top of the page. i liked how it did that drop-down thing, but can you make it a toggle button, where i can show/hide the log? just asking....

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ruroshin » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:15 am

jholic wrote:Ruro, did you change the LOG button somehow? whenever i click on it, it just brings me to the top of the page. i liked how it did that drop-down thing, but can you make it a toggle button, where i can show/hide the log? just asking....

there was an error in the script, its fixed now and should be working as it did before.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby jholic » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:59 pm

thanks! i gave you a 'thumbs up' rating. :lol