Licensed Dramas To Be Removed

News, Updates and Information about this site.
This section is important, please read it for changes about the site!
Arion

Postby Arion » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:07 pm

and one of the most important questions: for which countries will they be licenced? cause like in the anime biz, even when they're released in the US, doesn't mean that they are in the rest of the world :roll

firedevil

Postby firedevil » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:22 pm

only for the North America. (dvd with region 1)

feedmeister, i agree with to 100% ;)

Evintcar

Postby Evintcar » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:26 pm

:cussing:

i hate License

sveta

Postby sveta » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:36 pm

no disrespect but its unfair, and i never even got a chance to d/l jumong 28 and 29! and i wanted to d/l M but was unable to find it on this site... :cry:

michellerein

Postby michellerein » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:42 pm

no disrespect but its unfair, and i never even got a chance to d/l jumong 28 and 29! and i wanted to d/l M but was unable to find it on this site... Crying

I agree, it shouldn't be like this...
poor people should also have thier rights to watch their favorite Koreandrama's
PUT BACK JUMONG.........
waaaaaaaaa :argue: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

Xi@h
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby Xi@h » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:47 pm

So much ppl whining. You can still have clubbox!

Brandy_Blaylock

anime

Postby Brandy_Blaylock » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:58 pm

gryzze wrote:
skachild wrote:how come anime such as bleach, naruto and alot more anime(countless.. there are so many out there) can be upload at other site but not even one of them been removed due of the licensed thing..? (naruto is one of the licensed anime right..?)

Take a look at http://www.animesuki.com/ , you won't find bleach, naruto or any other licensed anime there. Some fansub groups seem to care and drop licensed anime while others don't.

I have to buy a subscription in order to download any of my licensed anime. As long as I don't do anything w/ it I can keep it on my machine. I really enjoy this arrangement. The site actually has all the episodes on their server and they have someone to the raw sub (which I believe is a legit company). There's no p2p. So I was wondering if that would a type of arrangement that could be worked out here? :unsure: Then you guys would get compensated for all your hard work subbing and everyone would get the chance to enjoy their fav shows w/o the horrible subs they use for the american releases...and the prices :thumleft:

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby pokute » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:24 pm

This is totally mind-boggling. Why? because there are hundreds, if not thousands, of Korean video rental stores in Los Angeles, some of them doing insane business, and I have yet to see anything except pirated material available for rental in any of these stores. For that matter, there are Chinese video stores here that sell hundreds of dvd's per hour, and perhaps 2% of those are region 1, and 10% region 3's, the rest being pirated.

Since piracy seems to be the norm within the ex-patriate Korean and Chinese communities here (where video, music, Hello Kitty, and name-brand clothing are concerned), it seems ludicrous that anyone would go after D-Addicts, where litigation would not reap significant financial remuneration, and not after some of these enormous PIRATE video operations that are raking in the dough here in L.A.

Hell, it's actually very difficult to buy any genuine region 3 releases here... You can spend days digging through all the pirated material before you find a genuine release... I am not exaggerating!
Last edited by pokute on Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

myrmidon

Postby myrmidon » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:31 pm

Néa Vanille wrote:I do have to agree with the other posters that this YAE business seems kind of fishy. I wonder how they managed to buy the licenses for these dozens of dramas in such a short period of time and without anyone knowing?

They managed to license so much stuff without people realizing it because so many people just leech kdramas off the internet without ever even thinking of buying it... :roll:

YAE has been releasing R1-licensed kdrama DVDs since 2004, so it's not like they just magically appeared yesterday like some of you are implying. And although I have some gripes about their releases (particularly when shows like Damo and Princess Hours are released as non-anamorphic widescreen :x), I appreciate their efforts to commercially release English-subbed kdramas in N. America, and have actually bought some of their stuff. Anyway, for those who are interested, you can read a little bit more about YAE here: http://starbulletin.com/2005/11/28/feat ... ory01.html

As for clubboxes... I wouldn't be surprised if those get targeted eventually. Which, if it happens, will probably mean that people will start to make their clubbox accounts "members only" to hide the information about what shows they have uploaded.

ryan5781

Postby ryan5781 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:48 pm

this is sad i really love how you guys do the english subs, in my country jumong can be bought already in pirated version, but the translation i think sucks big time, i hear that ep1-28 were subbed properly and i think was copied here lol but from 30 onwards the subbing sucked big time already

one question though is it illegal to do translation? if not i do hope you guys continue to do translation even without uploading the raw or hardsubbed files

skymaster

Postby skymaster » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:58 pm

This is sad news, YA Entertainment wants to earn bigtime, I hope we can find torrent at http://thepiratebay.org They always claim about copy in fact most of the show was broadcasted on korean TV network and recorded by some of our friends/member in d-addicts to share with other friend, not earning but sharing..... stupid law... preventing us to share our work freely, (the fact the program was broadcasted already over the tv network, I think it's not wrong to record the show and share to some friends, even adding subs for our foriegn speaking friends..

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby seirin » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:09 pm

myrmidon wrote:
Néa Vanille wrote:As for clubboxes... I wouldn't be surprised if those get targeted eventually. Which, if it happens, will probably mean that people will start to make their clubbox accounts "members only" to hide the information about what shows they have uploaded.

I guess you haven't realized yet. But clubbox has a list of banned files since autumn 2005.
Many owners have been locking their boxes for over a year now.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby pokute » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:12 pm

ryan5781 wrote:this is sad i really love how you guys do the english subs, in my country jumong can be bought already in pirated version, but the translation i think sucks big time, i hear that ep1-28 were subbed properly and i think was copied here lol but from 30 onwards the subbing sucked big time already

one question though is it illegal to do translation? if not i do hope you guys continue to do translation even without uploading the raw or hardsubbed files

Not only is it not illegal to do translation (though it may be illegal to distribute the translation publicly!), there is an implicit copyright associated with any translation, so if we translate a show, it means that a commercial licenser in the U.S. cannot use a significant number of phrases that are the same as those in a fansub without fear of BEING SUED BY THE FANSUBBER! This is the reason why some commercial subs of anime seem to be totally brain-damaged.

little tiger

Postby little tiger » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:58 pm

Looks like the little community of K-drama - English speaking-fans is no longer small.... It's grown to proportions of great commercial viability... We all knew this day would come. ...

It's this D-Addicts site that would be greatly affected... People would just post in the scores of other BT sites available.... It's amazing the number of sites out there carrying US serieses.. not to mention the BT China sites for those that understand Chinese....

Feel rather sad... I love D- Addicts and I don't want it to fade away... :(

deadd

Postby deadd » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:41 pm

myrmidon wrote: Anyway, for those who are interested, you can read a little bit more about YAE here: http://starbulletin.com/2005/11/28/feat ... ory01.html

Heh...I don't know about much about YA Entertainment, but last year around February, Dae Jung Geum was shown on a small, independent channel (KMTP CH 32) here in the San Francisco Bay Area at 9:00 PM 4 nights a week sponsored by, apparently, YAE. I don't remember the company then but I clearly remember Tom Larsen, general manager of YAE, trying to sell the DVDs at the end of the show. At the time, there wasn't much to watch on TV (I hate American TV shows) and was very grateful for Dae Jung Geum being aired for free, basically. It also opened my eyes to more K-Drama. (I usually download J-Drama here on D-Addicts.) But if I knew then what YAE would have an affect on D-Addicts, I don't think I wouldn't have been as grateful.

noura

Postby noura » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:47 pm

Everyone is saying that there is still Clubbox to download ... what if YA Entertainment orders clubbox holders to stop upload / remove any licensed dramas like they do for American movies??!! Isn't that possible?
I'm with everyone who said that the prices are high..but if you like / intrested in the drama or the cast , I think you'll do anything to get it ! isn't that right?
I have Spain movies if you''re intreseted in buying just PM me

Moriya

Postby Moriya » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:51 pm

kinda sad... they didn't licensed Full House yet ^_^

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby WroW » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:53 pm

noura wrote:Everyone is saying that there is still Clubbox to download ... what if YA Entertainment orders clubbox holders to stop upload / remove any licensed dramas like they do for American movies??!! Isn't that possible?
I'm with everyone who said that the prices are high..but if you like / intrested in the drama or the cast , I think you'll do anything to get it ! isn't that right?

Licensed Dramas are forbidden on clubbox since a year or so. You can often see deleted movies and dramas on clubbox. Thats why for example creidesca started renaming the dramas because of that.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby pokute » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:53 pm

I would be first in line to buy a first-class dvd set of Full House!! Especially if it was widescreen!!!!

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby aNToK » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:54 pm

pokute wrote:I would be first in line to buy a first-class dvd set of Full House!!

I've got one. What are you offering????
I am not obsessed. I am just very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very focussed...

strangemark

Postby strangemark » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:55 pm

huhuhuhu... damn its all over now.. there is no way i can get jumong episodes.. :(

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby WroW » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:58 pm

strangemark wrote:huhuhuhu... damn its all over now.. there is no way i can get jumong episodes.. :(

Just get it from CB...the fansubbers and most viewers get it from there. And I can also recommend emule...I stopped getting the files from clubbox around ep50 and now I get them from emule (its actually fast for Jumong, especially the 350MB rips)

sveta

Postby sveta » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:02 pm

WroW wrote:
strangemark wrote:huhuhuhu... damn its all over now.. there is no way i can get jumong episodes.. :(

Just get it from CB...the fansubbers and most viewers get it from there. And I can also recommend emule...I stopped getting the files from clubbox around ep50 and now I get them from emule (its actually fast for Jumong, especially the 350MB rips)

do they carry M at emule?

myrmidon

Postby myrmidon » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:06 pm

Moriya wrote:kinda sad... they didn't licensed Full House yet ^_^

The rights to distribute Full House (and all KBS dramas) in North America are apparently held by KBS America ( http://www.kbs-america.com/product/index.php ). And they have released a Full House R1 DVD set, but I don't think it's widescreen. I'm surprised they also haven't asked places like d-addicts to remove shows that they have the rights to, considering that they seem to be rather aggressive in preventing online stores from selling the Korean R3 DVDs of KBS shows to the U.S.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby pokute » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:09 pm

Gah! How are the subtitles on those? Has anybody seen them? Are those the ones you have aNToK... The "Directors Cut"?

ap0stat3

Postby ap0stat3 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:40 pm

WroW wrote:

ya you can get the raws at CB, but the big problem is if there's no fansub you'll end up watching a drama where you either have to "guess" what they saying, or just make up your own story as you go along watching, cuz you didn't know squat about the Korean language :cry: .. well time to learn it i guess or ask some random korean person to narrate it for you :lol

i hope this wouldn't scare some fansubbers out there to do some unlicensed drama, although some fansubbers might be leery of starting a drama only to have to drop it in the middle of the series, because it has been license and waste all that effort for nothing. :crazy:

well some good things has to come to an end, i guess :whistling:. Thank God there's still jdrama to look forward to. But I wouldn't be surprise if some subbers would go "underground" like on some anime....

leimomi

Postby leimomi » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:46 pm

:O I was surprised to hear the news, and :-( very very sad.

YAE does have good quality English sub-titles. I bought my first K-drama, Damo, from them plus other items. They also sell Region 2 and Region 3 DVDs plus minis. But they are expensive. I was somewhat frustrated because sometimes, the dramas or movies were only available on Region 2 or Region 3 DVDs. But their prices for TV dramas range from $70-$199. They have Seodongyo in 3 volumes for about $99 each. Dae Jang Geum's set was $249. I thought they had Jumong already (volume I with only 20 episodes) but when I checked again, I could not find it.

In Hawaii, K-dramas are very very popular. During my visit over the Christmas holidays, I found the major discount stores selling K-dramas like Glass Slipper, volume I, Stairway to Heaven, etc. Costco Hawaii, Wal-Mart Hawaii and Don Quioxte (formerly known as Daiei) were selling these for "volumes" for about $69. Sales tax in Hawaii is 4-5% on all products. KBS has an office there and they do sell their dramas like Winter Sonata. They sometimes have sales and it is cheaper that $69. Was it $20-30? I am not really sure since I had gotten it as a gift.

Another alternative for me has been e-bay. I got Emperor of the Sea (Haesin) that way for $35 and My Lovely Sam-Soon. But these were probably made elsewhere. You have to be careful since not all sellers speak English. I had a problem with a Region 3 DVD when the ad said All Region. PayPal is able to help, but only sometimes. The translations aren't always perfect, but it was less expensive.. Check out your neighborhood Chinatown stores. I did get Seodongyo there, but the English subtitles were truly horrible. Still, I was able to follow along, and so...

Jumong has already been erased from this site :-( but a few of fortunate few :-) who had already gotten ep 28-29 are still ul to the 40 or so who were in the midst of dl when all this happened. Jumong is selling overseas for the Chinese market, with DVDs for episodes 1-36, but without English subtitles. Sigh! It was fun while it lasted...

Anyways, thank you :cheers: fansubbers for all your hard work! It was very much appreciated :wub: by all of us.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby pokute » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:01 pm

For a while I was buying things from YesAsia, but I got so many bootleg or insanely-bad-commercial-subbed discs that I was totally scared away from them. I posted a detailed description of one set of purchases here once... Maybe I can find that and link it here.

BINGO:

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopi ... &view=next

neko05

Postby neko05 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:08 pm

This actually kinda neat. I just got into asian drama shows and I'd love to have some on my DVD shelf.

But the prices on that site are not so great. One episode for 25 bucks? Ehhh? 16 for 100? Are they kidding? Even anime isn't that expensive.

alli_potts

Postby alli_potts » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:09 pm

I wouldn't mind buying the box sets, but only if the translantions are of good quality. If they are done poorly, and you can't understand them, I wouldn't want to waste my money on them. I have bought tons of manga that I already have fansubs on my computer for, same with anime, but that is because the tranlantions are decent and because I want to support the people who create them. So I wouldn't mind paying if they are something worth paying for.

Has anyone bought from this company before? Are the translations okay? Do you buy them from the Yesasia site?

jpwoof

Postby jpwoof » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:15 pm

might as well remove everything on youtube if that's the case! no special treatment just because google owns it.

mimmi

Postby mimmi » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:15 pm

haah jumong :cry:....

alli_potts

Postby alli_potts » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:15 pm

neko05 wrote:
But the prices on that site are not so great. One episode for 25 bucks? Ehhh? 16 for 100? Are they kidding? Even anime isn't that expensive.

Yikes, $25?? Is that really for one episode? That is too much since they are subs and not dubs.. The $100 for 16 episodes is a bit better, but yeah since they are only subtitles it isn't like they have to pay for voice over actors like they do in anime.

I don't know, I'm torn... I don't mind paying in the hopes that the money will go to the people involved in making the series, and then they will keep making great series, but I don't like it if the company is being too greedy about it. I wonder...

greenwing

Postby greenwing » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:19 pm

this is ridiculous. there's no way these companies will make large profits on asian dramas. they are not popular in the U.S. like anime is and they appeal to a much smaller audience than anime by far. while many of the shows are great quality dramas, you'll never see something like Winter Sonata on ABC, NBC, FOX, or CBS. and very few cable channels carry them. these boxed sets are way overpriced and the subtitles are horrible quality. these companies should be ashamed for trying to make a buck on producing garbage quality and preventing other areas of the drama-related market from growing due to decreasing the drama fanbase by charging to watch TV. forcing a place like D-Addicts to remove torrent links will eventually cause themselves to shoot themselves in the foot, so to speak, because their business will most likely not perform well.

mimmi

Postby mimmi » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:23 pm

pokute wrote:I would be first in line to buy a first-class dvd set of Full House!! Especially if it was widescreen!!!!

they're selling full house in the stores here, last tme I saw it, oh just this month, but I don't know if it's a full set and widescreen. I just kind a pick it up, glanced at it, and put it down again :lol....ok, wasn't in the mood of buying :lol....

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby pokute » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:45 pm

I'm swinging round to Koreaown tonight on the way home and try to find the KBS dvd set of Full House. If the subs are decent, I'm buying it. As sappy as the show was, my whole family really enjoyed watching it!!

HD69

Postby HD69 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:07 pm

aNToK wrote:Not to mention the fact that they're charging over $100 per series. Get real YA, this is beyond ridiculous...

Not for Jumong. I bet YA will charge between $280-$320 for a 3 or 4 volume dvd box set of this drama.

HD69

Postby HD69 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:14 pm

groink wrote:I really don't know why people are angry over this. Up to now, people were begging for the dramas to become mainstream and start selling with English subtitles.
--- groink

Yes people may of been begging for them but I am sure they were not paying to get them. Why would they when they could just d/l the raws here and wait for the fan subs.

I have brought my fair share of Korean dramas with english subs on dvd. But have also d/led way more than I have brought.

HD69

Postby HD69 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:18 pm

blamvitaburst wrote:These are too expensive for me to buy, though! $100? Are they crazy? A single American TV show's season lasts about as long if not longer as these and costs half or less of that in the store. Ridiculous. I'd have trouble seeing even paying $50 for a series, especially one I hadn't already watched.

Yes the Korean dramas on dvd are way over priced compared to American Tv series released on dvd. Plus they hardly get reduced in price.

I purchased the show "24" the first 5 seasons for $19.99 each. Blows away any thing YA Entertainment will ever release.

raider73

Postby raider73 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:20 pm

aNToK wrote:Not to mention the fact that they're charging over $100 per series. Get real YA, this is beyond ridiculous...

That is totally ridiculous pricing. Since they have to import and pay the license, the max price I would pay would be $40/16ep and $50/20ep shows. Come on, the best show in the US the last few years (24) was only $20/season just a couple of weeks on sale at Bestbuy. These guys need to get a clue.

Edit: HD69 beat to me to it about the pricing for for "24" as an example.

myrmidon

Postby myrmidon » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:25 pm

neko05 wrote:This actually kinda neat. I just got into asian drama shows and I'd love to have some on my DVD shelf.

Anime is more reasonably priced now than it used to be. But back in the early 90's, before anime became more mainstream, it wasn't unheard of to pay $40 for a VHS tape containing just 2 OAV or 4 TV episodes. :goggle: Unfortunately, I don't think k-dramas will ever become popular enough in the U.S. for the price to drop to a more reasonable level.

I don't know how interrelated YA Entertainment and Yesasia are, but if you pre-order YAE DVDs from yesasia, they're usually 30% off (with free shipping). For instance, the 'Tomato' pre-order price is $65 (normal price $95), and 'What Planet Are You From?' is going for $70 (normal price $100). So far I have only purchased 'My Girl' and 'Palace', and the subtitles were pretty good... but I'm still very annoyed that 'Palace' was non-anamorphic widescreen. Supposedly 'What Planet Are You From?' is going to be anamorphic... ((but I'll believe it when I see it))

Anyway, if YAE wants people to stop distributing shows that they have licensed, I think it would be nice if they inform people quickly about new acquisitions, so that fansubbing groups that wish to avoid touching such programs don't have to stop working half-way through a series.

HD69

Postby HD69 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:26 pm

kobe23 wrote:Wow...just wow....this is really sad news. I never would've thought this thing was gonna happen to k-dramas. Does YA Entertainment think their sales have been suffering because of sites like D-A?
<3 Fansubbers.

I think this is the #1 reason why YA Entertainment did this. There sales are low and they figured this site is the reason. Problem wth that is there is clubbox and other places you can d/l these dramas. And on other much biger problem I will not get into. How are they going to stop those places or that other illegal activity that goes on. It just is not going to happen.

HD69

Postby HD69 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:29 pm

Corona wrote:Is it just me that is actually interested in buying a high quality boxset of one of my favourite drama's? I think it's normal that you pay for the things you really like. When I really like an anime I try my best to buy it. I don't have a lot of money, but even I know we can't leech into eternity.

Actually YA's korean dramas they produce on dvd are low quality. At least to me they are. Sure they are dvd quality but in Korean they watch everything in Hi-def and in widescreen format. We are getting ripped off by YA.

HD69

Postby HD69 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:32 pm

Néa Vanille wrote:I do have to agree with the other posters that this YAE business seems kind of fishy. I wonder how they managed to buy the licenses for these dozens of dramas in such a short period of time and without anyone knowing?

Anyway, I won't give even a cent to these 'licensed' drama boxes. :lol

I find this strange why a lot of you don't or didn't know that YA was buying the rights (license) to produce these dramas for the US Market. That is the only way they could do it. They contact the company that owns the rights to the drama and pay them a fee so they can produce the drama for the US Market.

SinFan

Postby SinFan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:33 pm

how can they do this T_T
will this stop all future Korean drama projects =|
you seriously must be kidding..
these people just sux >.>

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby pokute » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:37 pm

Hrmph. I wouldn't pay $1 for a season of any American show since Gilligan's Island. U.S. TV shows make we wanna puke. At least the Canadians have Yvon of the Yukon.

HD69

Postby HD69 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:39 pm

sveta wrote:no disrespect but its unfair, and i never even got a chance to d/l jumong 28 and 29! and i wanted to d/l M but was unable to find it on this site... :cry:

And just think you only have 53 more episodes to go. :whistling: :w00t: :-)

For me I can watch this drama on my local tv channel but i do not. I rent the english subtitled version from my local video store. :cheers:

HD69

Postby HD69 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:40 pm

Xi@h wrote:So much ppl whining. You can still have clubbox!

True but some of us don't use clubbox or have tried before and had a hard time with it

HD69

Postby HD69 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:47 pm

myrmidon wrote:

They managed to license so much stuff without people realizing it because so many people just leech kdramas off the internet without ever even thinking of buying it... :roll:

YAE has been releasing R1-licensed kdrama DVDs since 2004, so it's not like they just magically appeared yesterday like some of you are implying. And although I have some gripes about their releases (particularly when shows like Damo and Princess Hours are released as non-anamorphic widescreen :x), I appreciate their efforts to commercially release English-subbed kdramas in N. America, and have actually bought some of their stuff. Anyway, for those who are interested, you can read a little bit more about YAE here: http://starbulletin.com/2005/11/28/feat ... ory01.html

I agree with everything you said. Same points I tried to bring up on page 8.

My biggest beef is the their releases that are not released in non-anamorphic widescreen. I think all of their releases should be released like that. Just because a crappy station Kbfd shows us dramas in full screen format and really poor audio and video quality. Whay can't we get them released in non-anamorphic widescreen format. Maybe in HD one day. This is the main reason why I stop purchasing Korean dramas from YA.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby pokute » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:58 pm

@HD69 - I think you mean you WANT them in anamorphic. Anamorphic means the pixel aspect ratio is such that a 16:9 aspect image uses all the pixels available for the frame. Non-anamorphic is letter-boxed.

firedevil

Postby firedevil » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:06 pm

You can't compare the prices between a TV show US and a drama.
the dvd of TV show are for a large public, so, the prices can be low.
in contrary, the drama's market is ridiculous. the publishers must raise its prices for gain profit.

HD69

Postby HD69 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:10 pm

pokute wrote:@HD69 - I think you mean you WANT them in anamorphic. Anamorphic means the pixel aspect ratio is such that a 16:9 aspect image uses all the pixels available for the frame. Non-anamorphic is letter-boxed.

That is exactly what i meant to say, thank you.

I am tired of buying a korean drama on dvd and then pop it into dvd player and then it pops up in full screen format. Then I have to stretch the picture so it fits my H-def widescreen tv.

It's bad enough I have to watch kbfd1/2 in full screen with all the video and sudio problems thost 2 stations are having.

Has any one been to Korea lately? Went their not to long ago and watching korean dramas on their Hi-def tv and it looks unreal.

HD69

Postby HD69 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:11 pm

I may be wrong about this. But didn't YAE get their translators from people who were fan subbing from this site at one time?

amrayu
Administrator
Administrator

Postby amrayu » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:20 pm

HD69 wrote:I may be wrong about this. But didn't YAE get their translators from people who were fan subbing from this site at one time?

I definitely know that a fansubber was recruited for Stairway to heaven. I'm not sure about other series...
Follow SARS-Fansubs on Twitter now!
Get up-to-date info on dramas and fansubbing!

kobe23

Postby kobe23 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:42 pm

Companies that offer products at exorbitant prices will never get my support, and according to the responses in this thread, I'm not the only one. Seriously, do they think some people will actually forge out $100 for a k-drama? I don't even download certain dramas when it's free for crying out loud. There are too many draggy dramas out there to risk that much money.

I don't want to turn this into one of those piracy threads, but rest assured, there will always be a way to obtain the files, even if clubbox goes down. P2P will always win. Even the American movie/music/games industry have already firgured that out.

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby InTr4nceWeTrust » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:54 pm

HD69 wrote:I may be wrong about this. But didn't YAE get their translators from people who were fan subbing from this site at one time?

is that a problem?

off topic: mods, i accidentally pressed REPORT instead of QUOTE cuz i'm retarded...and i wrote my reply to the quote and hit submit cuz i'm REALLY retarded...sorry ~_~
ありません

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ruroshin » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:04 pm

HD69

Postby HD69 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:19 pm

InTr4nceWeTrust wrote:

is that a problem?

That is not a problem. My point was if YAE first came here to hire his translators from this site. How does that look now what he is making D-addicts to pull all these korean dramas they licensed.

ap0stat3

Postby ap0stat3 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:20 pm

Ruroshin wrote:list of licensed kdramas http://fansub.d-addicts.com/Licensed_KDramas

Does this mean that there's not gonna be any soft subs on those licensed drama?? :cry:

khmai_kandi22

Postby khmai_kandi22 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:27 pm

ap0stat3 wrote:
Ruroshin wrote:list of licensed kdramas http://fansub.d-addicts.com/Licensed_KDramas

Does this mean that there's not gonna be any soft subs on those licensed drama?? :cry:

I think YA Entertainment is more concerned about the videos than the softsubs as Ruroshin has stated. So I think it's ok to release softsubs as long as it's THE ORIGINAL WORK of the fansub team or the fansubber.

@Ruroshin

Will it still be ok for D-Fansubs to still continue releasing softsubs for JuMong and Freeze? Or we can't?

Aprisea

Postby Aprisea » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:30 pm

At least is clubbox but my down speed is low in clubbox T_T
And prices for Kdrama are really expensive! I can't pay 100$ for a drama!!!!
~Asian Music Rulz!~

viet_la_amour

Postby viet_la_amour » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:30 pm

Aww. This makes me reallyreallyreallyreally sad. Although I'm not a huge fan of Korean dramas, there are a few that I like....... for example JUMONG. ARgh, I only got to episode 10!! =((
Ly Bang Bang :wub:

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby pokute » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:33 pm

Unauthorised translations which will not be sold, created for the purpose of education are arguably fair-use, but that does not mean they can't sue you anyway, and lose, but put you through hell. I think that it is an extremely unlikely scenario, however.
Last edited by pokute on Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ruroshin » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:33 pm

@Ruroshin

Will it still be ok for D-Fansubs to still continue releasing softsubs for JuMong and Freeze? Or we can't?[/b][/color]

at this point in time i can't see why you can't continue to do softsubs as long as they're original works and not distributed with the copyrighted material. It should fall under fair use as potuke pointed out as long as you're not profiting from it.
Last edited by Ruroshin on Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

smiley6yrl

Postby smiley6yrl » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:33 pm

i hope D fansubbers could still continue subbing Jumong and Freeze... :D i mean we can always get the video via clubbox and get the softsubs here... thats not violating the copyrights, right?

viet_la_amour

Postby viet_la_amour » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:36 pm

Always a loophole. =DD
Ly Bang Bang :wub:

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby pokute » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:41 pm

Note that when a college prof travels to another country and brings back material that is owned by a foreign license holder, and then uses it in a class, he is committing the same crime that we are here, in almost the same context, and that this practice is the usual way of teaching many subjects.

Syuichi

Postby Syuichi » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:53 pm

I don't get exactly what they can do. Korean dramas are on tv and there free? They like don't own KBS, SBS, or MBC and we don't rip the subtitles or files from them. At least I have clubbox. Most of my favorite dramas are listed on the site.
Last edited by Syuichi on Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Syaoran-kun
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby Syaoran-kun » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:55 pm

If a series that we are working on is licensed in the US, we will immediately stop working on it and stop distributing it.

It sucks, but I'm not willing to put people's financial lives on the line.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby pokute » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:05 am

Syuichi wrote:I don't get exactly what they can do. Korean dramas are on tv and there free? They like don't own KBS, SBS, or MBC and we don't rip the subtitles or files. At least I have clubbox. Most of my favorite dramas are listed on the site.

From their perspective, we are buying Coca-Cola in a 2-liter bottle, and re-bottling it in antique bottles and "selling" them. We are taking advantage of the accepted brand-name which they own and use to create profit. Even though they don't sell coke in those antique bottles anymore, and even though they got their profit when we bought our two-liter bottle (when their show was broadcast and the sponsors ponied-up), they still own the right to "sell" Coke, and we don't. From their perspective there is no difference between selling and distributing for free... In either case we are taking advantage of their brand to create a market, and could potentially cause loss of capital to them, or cause profit to fall to ourselves. It is unfortunately up to real live lawyers to decide how and why... And nobody here wants to jump into the pool with the sharks.

Did that make any sense?

Kai Lien
AiRen
AiRen

Postby Kai Lien » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:10 am

Yeah...I remember seeing something about a translator for Damo got recruited or something by YA. We help their business and they threaten to sue in return. Just horrible, isn't it? I mean its not like the source is from their dvds. BTW, any one know if YA dvds are dvd-9 or just -5?

kobe23 wrote:Companies that offer products at exorbitant prices will never get my support, and according to the responses in this thread, I'm not the only one. Seriously, do they think some people will actually forge out $100 for a k-drama? I don't even download certain dramas when it's [b]free for crying out loud.[/b]

Exactly! I almost have more fun downloading than watching as I do that more than I can watch anyways. I read that article in the link about the head of YA wanting to spread his love for k-dramas or something like that. Puleez! Paying around $100 for a drama series isn't worth the money. I might as well learn korean! Although I have been pondering about buying What happened in Bali quite often. :P Dramas are from TV which is free, so it totally sucks that we have to pay money for something we should be getting for free. :cussing: Aigoo :alcoholic:

HD69

Postby HD69 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:11 am

Well there is one bright spot at least YAE can't doing any thing about the dramas from KBS. Now if KBS America or KBS trys to put a stop to those dramas also that is a whole different story.

nokiamania

Postby nokiamania » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:13 am

YAEntertainment have exclusive rights in selling certain titles only in North American regions. D-addicts.com is not selling any series to anyone in the North America, I don't see any infringement violation there. Also most of the members here are not from the North American regions, most are from Asia, I don't think they have jurisdictions over Asia.

Worst case, if d-addicts management or founder transfer the hosting to Asian countries, I don't think YaEntertainment can sue and dictate the site what you can or cannot share with fellow d-addicts members.

It is very unlikely that YAEntertainment will win if they sue d-addicts for infringement copyright violation because this is purely voluntary fanwork as long as members would not post subtitles directly ripped from YAEntertainment DVD.

Kai Lien
AiRen
AiRen

Postby Kai Lien » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:13 am

Why is KBS so special? Can they not buy rights to KBS dramas?

Syuichi

Postby Syuichi » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:18 am

pokute wrote:From their perspective, we are buying Coca-Cola in a 2-liter bottle, and re-bottling it in antique bottles and "selling" them. We are taking advantage of the accepted brand-name which they own and use to create profit. Even though they don't sell coke in those antique bottles anymore, and even though they got their profit when we bought our two-liter bottle (when their show was broadcast and the sponsors ponied-up), they still own the right to "sell" Coke, and we don't. From their perspective there is no difference between selling and distributing for free... In either case we are taking advantage of their brand to create a market, and could potentially cause loss of capital to them, or cause profit to fall to ourselves. It is unfortunately up to real live lawyers to decide how and why... And nobody here wants to jump into the pool with the sharks.

Did that make any sense?

Made plenty of sense. Thanks for breaking it down for me. There can be no harm done to clubbox right?

Return to “D-Addicts Announcements”