Licensed Dramas To Be Removed

News, Updates and Information about this site.
This section is important, please read it for changes about the site!
raider73

Postby raider73 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:32 pm

aNToK wrote:As far as the pricing on the site, it was explained that the business is set up as a B2B rather than a B2C company (meaning that they mainly distribute to other retailers rather than to the consumer). The prices that are charged on the site are the suggested retail price, while the price you'll end up paying at Borders or wherever will likely be in the $70 to $80 range per set. It'll vary depending on which retailer you buy from.

Thanks aNToK for the info after contacting them. After checking out YesAsia, the prices are ~$70-75 per set, it is more than reasonable considering the licensing&subbing. My earlier mention of "24" was based on a sale price not normal prices(about 50% off retail). These dramas are not as popular so you would expect there not to be as much sales. DVD prices are usually high when they are first release or if they are not as popular--Band of Brothers was like $80 for the set when it first came out but is much cheaper now.

Now, my only concern is the quality of the subs and widescreen. I see the DVD set says standard format(not good IMO) and 3ep per DVD-9 (means probably good quality).

I don't watch much KDrama but if they have good ones in widescreen, I would buy them. Would definitely but them for $100 if they were to offer in HD-DVD or BlueRay. Want only HiDef content now for my 1080p display.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby pokute » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:37 pm

Three epsiodes per dvd-9 means nothing. Encoding at 7000 kbps constant bitrate is pointless. It's more often an indication of poor encoding than of good encoding.

raider73

Postby raider73 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:46 pm

I think this may end up being a good thing unless you're not in the US. Even Netflix has Palace:Princess Hours available for rental now. I'm pretty sure they will have more. YA Entertainment needs to get their act together and release Widescreen versions though--the crappy standard format(full screen)ain't gonna cut it if they want people to actually buy the DVDs.

http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?mov ... 4_0&hnjr=5

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby WroW » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:51 pm

groink wrote:
kobe23 wrote:Heh. This part really baffles me. Isn't distributing licensed material without the owner's consent a far greater crime than actually downloading them? You've just contradicted everything you stand for.

You're really retarded, aren't you? Always thinking linear. I'm playing the same rules the anime world plays. I upload the series until it becomes licensed in the U.S. Once it is licensed, I stop uploading the series. And ALL of my uploads are TV captures - not A+ quality DVD or HDTV rips. Simple as that. I don't deal with kim-chee crap dramas - I only deal with Japanese dramas. And unlike the biz you guys are going through with YAE, us Japanese drama fans don't have the same problem. And thanks to the Korean wave withering away Japanese dramas' popularity, likely we never will. I for one do NOT want Japanese dramas with English subtitles to be released on DVD. So as far as my uploading goes, it WILL continue until the day Hell freezes over when the Japanese dramas become licensed in the U.S.

--- groink

A typical groink post...you gotta love him or ignore him :P

Annessa

Postby Annessa » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:09 pm

pokute wrote:YesAsia sells bootleg dvd's. I have written about it in these forums, and I linked to an example in this thread. Not only that, they sell region 3 dvd's to U.S. buyers... Selling in region 1 is beyond the scope of the licensing for region 3 releases and violates the distribution license. But the fact that they are engaged in criminal activity does not mean that they can't sue you, or threaten to sue you, or cut off your hands and feet.

i searched for the thread you mentioned... the links you provided were for an HK film. I was not aware of this before, so I'm glad you mentioned it.

however, in my experience, everything i've purchased from them is legit. but then again, in the past 3-4 years or so, I've mainly been purchasing Korean dvds. and recently, i have been able to find better deals on legit Korean dramas elsewhere, so i hardly order from YA anymore.

in regards to Korean tv dramas, as far as i know, they are all legit. the region 3 dvd's, which are mostly dramas released by SBS Productions (i.e. Green Rose, Dating Now, Law Firm, Fashion 70's, Alone in Love, Only You, etc.) are the official Korean versions. now, i'm not familiar with the law regarding the sale of region 3 dvds in region 1 area, so i'll just have to look it up and read more about it. the KBS dvds they were selling in the past (before KBS America established their own division here), were all the very same legit (all region) dvd sets being sold in Korea.

also, they have a GLOBAL site... if you live in the US/Canada, and try to order something only available on the global site, they will not ship it to you. there are some titles or versions of some titles that they are not allowed to sell to the US/Canada... I know KBS and MBC dramas (Korean version, not the YA licensed version) are available on their global site, but not on the North American site.
Last edited by Annessa on Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HD69

Postby HD69 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:12 pm

aNToK wrote:OK, back on topic:

One of the biggest (the biggest?) complaints many of us have always had with higher-priced box sets of drama series is the total crapshoot when it comes to the quality of the English subtitles. Think honestly for a minute. If you were to buy a series, would you prefer to roll the dice on a $40-50 set marketed to a non-English speaking country, or would it be worth it for you to pay $70 or so for a set that is professionally translated and subbed here in the US with an English-speaking audience in mind by a company who's desperate to expand the US market for K-dramas? I'd opt for the latter, no doubt.

I took the time after reading this thread this morning to try contacting YAE to get a bit more information about the products, goals of the company, etc. and was pleasantly surprised when I received a call back within an hour or so. Turns out that they do have an in-house team of translators and subbers and that they're continually looking to improve the quality of the E-subs and the video source, and were very familiar with D-Addicts and didn't appear to have any particular malice or anything toward the site. Actually, the feeling I got was more that they appreciated the fact that D-Addicts has done so much to help spread the K-wave to a much broader audience. Can't really blame them for wanting to build a business and make money at something that the folks I spoke with seem to love. Beats the hell out of buying stolen and re-worked vids from that little gingertoys2 **** on e-bay for not much less, I'll tell you.

As far as the pricing on the site, it was explained that the business is set up as a B2B rather than a B2C company (meaning that they mainly distribute to other retailers rather than to the consumer). The prices that are charged on the site are the suggested retail price, while the price you'll end up paying at Borders or wherever will likely be in the $70 to $80 range per set. It'll vary depending on which retailer you buy from.

So yeah, it sucks that we'll be seeing a chunk of current and future K-dramas that won't be available here, but it's good that as the vids become more mainstream and gain market share, the prices will inevitable drop as the demand increases.

To the people comparing the prices for American TV series box sets to potential prices for K-drama sets, realize one huge thing: the present built-in market for shows like 24, Friends, Lost, and most other series is currently hundreds (thousands?) of times larger than the current market for foreign, subtitled shows. Add in higher licensing fees, having to pay for quality translations, subtitlers, etc. and the above-mentioned high risk for selling enough of them to offset the much higher per-unit cost, and the prices are livable with the good chance of going down if the audience grows consistently.

Check around for even some of the less mainstream English-speaking series sets:

My beloved Battlestar Galactica (reimagined 2003) series has an srp of $60 on Amazon, and season 2 is sold in 2 parts with an srp of $49.98 each for about 24 eps total which puts it real close to the 16-20 ep runs and $99.98 srp for many of the K-dramas at the YAE site. Hell, the original asking price for the old '70s series is around $70, and most people didn't even remember the thing existed until the new one came out...

So in light of all this, I'll give a cautionary thumbs-up to YAE. Though my current financial state won't allow me to purchase more than the occasional series at retail price, I'm thinking that in the long run, it'll be good for the industry, and eventually good for all us fans.

As I said before I have brought my fair share of Korean dramas on dvd and half of them have been from YAE.

Since YAE started there prices have been going and going up. Ues they sell to distributors at they asking price and the distributor sells it to the retailer. Here is the islands you can find some decent deals on YAE dramas from places like Don Quixote, Longs Drugs, and Costco. Places like Best Buy and Walmart charge you almost full retail.
Most time you might as well just pre-order from Yesasia.com before they are released and with free shipping. Wait till after the drama is released the price will go up.

My biggest problems is with the full screen and 2.0 soundtrack. I guess Tom Larsen still thinks millions of us are watching these korean dramas on dvd on our 4:3 20" tv sets. It's bad enough I have to watch 4:3 full screen and 1.0 stereo static on Kbfd. With video problems, also edited episodes and even missing episodes.

I am really waiting for Jumong to come out. If it's in 4:3 format no sale. A bigger issue will be how many Volumes this drama will be available on. Is Tom Larsen going to bring this out on 2, 3 or 4 volumes.

About 18 months ago YAE released the drama "Did We Really Love" on 2 volumes. The drama is 44 episodes. I paid about $140 for both volumes. About 3 month ago YAE re-release the same drama in one 15 dvd boxset. You can now pick it up for under $100 from a retailer.

So lets see what Tom Larsen is going to do when he releases Jumong. My guess it should be released on 2 Volumes and should cost under $200. Or will he get greedy and release it on 3 or 4 volumes and charge us a arm and a leg. But get this Tommy boy no 16:9 widescreen format and I hope 5.1 digital no sale buddy from me.

Sak

Postby Sak » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:30 pm

I can totally understand Rouroshin about the removal of the said license drama, don't want trouble nor the forum to be closed down for one thing :cry:

But awww it is sad to not be able to get these dramas anymore, half of which I have never got the chance to see yet. :cry: ..... like most people say, with it being so expensive to get, there were some I wanted to buy but looking at the prices on yesaisa for a boxset some was so much! Anyhow I guess a lot of us will probably have to stop watching kdramas and move on to somethinge else eventually :whistling:

HD69

Postby HD69 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:37 pm

Annessa wrote:ok... i just read the first five pages. i will continue reading on if i have more time.... but anyway, a question that popped up often was something along the lines of, "how do we know yesasia really have the license to these dramas" or "how did they acquire the rights so fast?"

THIS IS NOTHING NEW!!! Yeasia has released dramas for a few years new. of course they have the rights to the dramas, they are a legit company that has been selling Asian entertainment products for years... i've been ordering from that website when they were called angelcd.com, back in the late 90's/early 00. i believe i started buying Korean dramas back in '03 or 04 or around that time. older titles like Hotelier, Did We Really Love, Ruler of Your Own World, Romance, Love Letter, etc. have been around for awhile. they even used to sell KBS dvds manufactured by Bitwin (Korean company) until KBS America established their own here, and stopped allowing YA to sell their dvd sets.

while i can understand the sentiment here, i guess we'l'l just have to work around it. i've been using clubbox to download, because the files are always available there first. and we can still have subs until they must be deleted (if YA happens to license them). i know the dvd sets are expensive, and their catalogue lists the pricing as $99.99 for most of them, but on the website, they are sold for as low as $64.99, depending on the drama. i know that's still pricey, but there's not much we can do.

there are different licensed versions. if you really don't want to support YA, then buy from an overseas site like dvdheaven.com or dvdfromkorea... downside is that it is a lot more expensive (and the shipping is $$$), but at least they sell the Korean versions that i much prefer to buy. still supporting the artists/directors/producers/writers without having to support YA.

You and many others keeping on thinking Yesasia.com and YAE are the same company. They are 2 totally different companies.
Last edited by HD69 on Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auroragb

Postby auroragb » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:38 pm

Corona wrote:Is it just me that is actually interested in buying a high quality boxset of one of my favourite drama's? I think it's normal that you pay for the things you really like. When I really like an anime I try my best to buy it. I don't have a lot of money, but even I know we can't leech into eternity.
Because DVDs will actually be of lower video quality (in many cases) compared to HQ raws which are often 1024 x 576 vs the 720x480 max you get on DVD.

Honestly, I've stopped purchasing DVDs. I only buy the cheap Chinese stuff now (usually 10-15 usd for a series, they often have English subs too) because I'm waiting for HD. If they start delivering HD-DVD or BD-DVD, I'll consider paying the $100. As for the nice boxes, I've seen some $15 sets that have great box designs. The only things they don't have is high quality inserts.
HD69 wrote:I think this is the #1 reason why YA Entertainment did this. There sales are low and they figured this site is the reason. Problem wth that is there is clubbox and other places you can d/l these dramas. And on other much biger problem I will not get into. How are they going to stop those places or that other illegal activity that goes on. It just is not going to happen.
I think it's just a desperate money grab because they are not getting as many buyers as they want. so they figure that since each drama on d-addicts has 10,000 completions, they figure if they can convert 1% to sales, that would be 100 sets / series, meaning extra $10,000 / series x 100 series (rough count) = *pinky to lips* ONE MILLION DOLLARS!
groink wrote:$100 for a box set of DVDs is NOT overpriced. Heck, I paid close to US$1000 just for Oshin. Japanese DVDs are an average of US$200 for a 12-episode box set.
Comparing Korean DVD's to Japanese DVD's is not fair either. Japan simply doesn't export their dramas. Korean dramas have been licensed in various parts of southeast asia and the prices are nowhere near this high any more. Frankly, I think we are hitting the tail end of Hallyu wave.
groink wrote:Comparing American DVD and Korean DVD prices is not a proper comparison. Korean DVDs have a LOT more work put into them. First, YA Entertainment is independant of the Korean TV networks; YAE had to purchase a license from the Korean TV network. That costs a lot of money just there alone. Next, YAE has to hire a crew of subbers, timers and QC people to add on English subtitles. After that, YAE has to hire a crew to design the DVD. And THEN, YAE has to get pay a company to mass produce the DVDs.
Guess what, what you described is actually < 1 man month of labor (for a typical 16 episode series). And DVD presses, even for fairly limited runs are < .40 / disc (even less when offshored, tho offshoring is not economical unless there are long contracts). In short, I sincerely doubt YA strategy of charging so much is doing Hallyu a service.
Jdrama Chinese fansub index 2006 | 2007

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby aNToK » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:54 pm

Nice to see such a lively little discussion going on. For whatever reason, I seem to have been blocked from posting in this particular thread today, so a few comments I was going to make have already been addressed.

I have no idea at this point what kind of quality to expect from the vids, audio, etc.,and I have yet to see any of the products in my local Barnes & Noble or Borders, so I can't say first-hand what any of them do or will look like. One big thing in America is that we're very used to production-quality video and sound in our dvd sets, and to be taken seriously and make an impact, the quality will have to be there for Americans to buy them with regularity. I think we're much less used to the variation in quality and production that is often seen in other countries (did anyone ever make vcd's over here?)

I did read on the site something about subbed extras, etc. being included in future releases of some series, so I'll give the benefit of the doubt that they're working on improving and expanding the product for the American market.

One question or two that pops up to me would be with the series that were subbed by KBFD (was that the station?): Will the in-house translators/subbers be reworking or redoing the subtitles for those series? many of the ones I've watched previously have had me crying for the edit button. Then again, I'm quite a bit more anal than most when it comes to quality subs.

Subbing the bonus features and my talk earlier leads me to think that as a company, they're working to bring the quality issues up to a consistent high level, but I suppose that will remain to be seen as a bit of time goes by...
I am not obsessed. I am just very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very focussed...

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby pokute » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:56 pm

YesAsia and YAE are the same company:

# whois yaentertainment.com

Registrant:
Joshua Lau
Joshua Lau
9/F Watson Centre 16-22 Kung Yip Street
Kwai Chung, na
HK
Email: joshua@yesasia.com

Administrative Contact:
KwokChu Lau
KwokChu Lau
1192 Cherry Avenue
San Bruno, CA 94066
US
Phone: 650-517-5100
Email: joshua@yesasia.com

http://www.chinesepyp.com/sf/sdetail.asp?companyid=3218
Last edited by pokute on Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Annessa

Postby Annessa » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:14 pm

HD69 wrote:You and many others keeping on thinking Yesasia.com and YAE are the same company. They are 2 totally different companies.

i never said they were one and the same... i reread my quoted post, and i can see why you thought that, with the errors in my post.

in the older dramas that i mentioned, the "yesasia" logo is the first thing you see when you pop in the dvd. i think that's what i was thinking of when i was typing. don't know how or if they were affiliated before (other than just being a distributor), but i do know they are separate now. :unsure:

btw, pokute, i believe they are separate companies... Tom Larsen is the founder of YAE. i have exchanged emails with him in the past when i had questions about their versions of kdramas. yesasia.com simply sells YAE dvd sets.
Last edited by Annessa on Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

gixo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby gixo » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:16 pm

pokute wrote:YesAsia and YAE are the same company:

They are?
But isn't YesAsia also selling cheap DVDs? Let's say f.e "my girl". They are selling a HK version which has English subs for half the price as at YAE. Wouldn't a reasonable customer get the cheaper version unless there is a big difference in the subs.

Or maybe as YAE they are producing good subs for the American market and as YesAsia they are a retailer which also accepts crappy DVDs from other producers?

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby pokute » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:23 pm

gixo wrote:
pokute wrote:YesAsia and YAE are the same company:

They are?
But isn't YesAsia also selling cheap DVDs? Let's say f.e "my girl". They are selling a HK version which has English subs for half the price as at YAE. Wouldn't a reasonable customer get the cheaper version unless there is a big difference in the subs.

Or maybe as YAE they are producing good subs for the American market and as YesAsia they are a retailer which also accpets crappy DVDs from other producers?

Please go back and read my post where I describe the bootleg dvd sold by YesAsia, with the links to YesAsia... You will see that they will sell anything at all, and will even charge a premium for the worse product. The prices changed slightly since my original post, but the totally garbage bootleg dvd is still priced higher than the legit dvd. You can even read my comments about it in the YesAsia reviews when you follow the link.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby pokute » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:27 pm

Tom Larsen is the general manager, not the owner.

groink

Postby groink » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:44 pm

pokute wrote:Tom Larsen is the general manager, not the owner.

Not only that, did anyone even bother to do a whois for yaentertainment.com?

Code: Select all

Registrant:
      Joshua Lau
      Joshua Lau
      9/F Watson Centre 16-22 Kung Yip Street
      Kwai Chung,   na
      HK
      Email: ******@yesasia.com

Administrative Contact:
      KwokChu Lau
      KwokChu Lau
      1192 Cherry Avenue
      San Bruno, CA 94066
      US
      Phone: 650-517-5100
      Email: ******@yesasia.com

Joshua Lau is the founder and CEO of YesAsia. And the administrative contact is basically the person or company who pays the bill for the domain (and also assume they're paying for the Internet presence.) And notice the 1192 Cherry Avenue street address? Guess who's listed as the occupant of that location? YesAsia, that's who. Look at the Better Business Bureau report:

http://www.goldengatebbb.org/commonrepo ... ?bid=66247

YA Entertainment is just simply a DBA for YesAsia to do business in the U.S. market. Ruroshin didn't just receive a legal notice from YA Entertainment; YesAsia is behind it - the business that brings in the funding for D-Addicts.com. Remember a few months back when YesAsia told Ruroshin to remove the torrent links within the torrent comments pages? IMO, that was the start of the legal problems.

--- groink

sabriyahm

Postby sabriyahm » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:50 pm

firedevil wrote:On the other hand, a question :
You do not believe that you would not should speak there about alternate means to download raws? That could cause damage to d-addicts, no?

I don't think we need to self edit. D'Addicts is not responsible for the comments of it's members.

alli_potts

Postby alli_potts » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:57 pm

raider73 wrote:I think this may end up being a good thing unless you're not in the US. Even Netflix has Palace:Princess Hours available for rental now. I'm pretty sure they will have more. YA Entertainment needs to get their act together and release Widescreen versions though--the crappy standard format(full screen)ain't gonna cut it if they want people to actually buy the DVDs.

http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?mov ... 4_0&hnjr=5

Cool, thanks for the link. I use Netflix and I had no idea. This will give me a chance to check out the quality and decide for myself if it is worth the cash.

Runs over and adds Princess Hours to my queue. ; )

eternal_dragon_666

Postby eternal_dragon_666 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:01 pm

So YA's just a company formed to attack against North American based torrent sites distributing kdramas? Since Yesasia could've done this to d-A anytime for the past few years already. Or were they simply just trying to lure more ppl into kdramas b4 cutting their supply?

trouble0702

Postby trouble0702 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:09 pm

Athaclena42 wrote:
AkumaX wrote:what the.. how did they license Meteor Rain but not Meteor Garden :whistling:

Lol, I was just thinking of that when I looked at the list. Why Meteor Rain?

so weird! i would think MG1 would fare a lot better than Meteor Rain... course why is it being licensed by a korean drama company?

sabriyahm

Postby sabriyahm » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:20 pm

alli_potts wrote:I wouldn't mind buying the box sets, but only if the translantions are of good quality. If they are done poorly, and you can't understand them, I wouldn't want to waste my money on them. I have bought tons of manga that I already have fansubs on my computer for, same with anime, but that is because the tranlantions are decent and because I want to support the people who create them. So I wouldn't mind paying if they are something worth paying for.

Has anyone bought from this company before? Are the translations okay? Do you buy them from the Yesasia site?

I know the Goong subtitles of the box set that came out in Dec 2006 were excellent and the show was in wide screen. I rented from Netflix to check out the quality and then I bought it. It was an X-mas gift to my self.

Edit: For some reason my comment never appeared but what I was trying to say is Netflix has about half of the shows listed as licensed including the more popular ones like Save the last dance, Goong Glass slipper, stairway to heavan, Godbye my love and the like. If these shows gain in popularity we will see more of them. Anime was almost nonexistant on Netflix back in the day but now they have almost all the titles.

Also I thing we should respect licenses. Nothing is free. Those of us used to downloading may think it should be but it's not. Try to buy the box sets on sale. Don't boycott. The more people who actually go out and buy these sets the quicker the price will go down.
Last edited by sabriyahm on Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sabriyahm

Postby sabriyahm » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:23 pm

HD69 wrote:
blamvitaburst wrote:These are too expensive for me to buy, though! $100? Are they crazy? A single American TV show's season lasts about as long if not longer as these and costs half or less of that in the store. Ridiculous. I'd have trouble seeing even paying $50 for a series, especially one I hadn't already watched.

Yes the Korean dramas on dvd are way over priced compared to American Tv series released on dvd. Plus they hardly get reduced in price.

I purchased the show "24" the first 5 seasons for $19.99 each. Blows away any thing YA Entertainment will ever release.

Please remember that an American TV show makes it's profit while on air by showing commercials. As the actual physical cost of makign DVD's is fairly low, DVD sales are almost pure profit for them. This is obviously not the case in a K drama shown here. Though it may be free on TV over there commerricials are what make it free. They are not just making the shows to make us happy. No commercials means you have to pay. It's as simple as that.

sabriyahm

Postby sabriyahm » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:24 pm

kobe23 wrote:Groink,

Your opinion on the whole issue is extremely myopic and your personal insults towards people who are worse off than you smacks of elitism.

Aren't the drama's originally shown on Free To Air TV? I'm sure you don't need a six-figure income to watch them when it's shown on Korean TV, so why should anyone pay for it? Most people purchase dramas because it's usually one of their favorite shows that they have seen on TV. They buy it as a collectable. I have plans on buying boxsets of my favorite k-drama's, but only after I have completed the entire series. I am not going to spend that much money on a TV series which I have no idea whether I'll enjoy or not. I'm sorry, but your "people don't want to pay for entertainment" argument doesn't hold any water when it comes to Asian dramas.

groink wrote:
marie_23 wrote: Hmmm...if you can afford to buy your dramas then why are you on a website that offers them for free? :scratch:

What makes you think I download off D-Addicts. I don't. Really. I upload instead. Nice try, Jack.

Heh. This part really baffles me. Isn't distributing licensed material without the owner's consent a far greater crime than actually downloading them? You've just contradicted everything you stand for.

No they are pretty mcuh equal.

HD69

Postby HD69 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:34 pm

aNToK wrote:One question or two that pops up to me would be with the series that were subbed by KBFD (was that the station?): Will the in-house translators/subbers be reworking or redoing the subtitles for those series? many of the ones I've watched previously have had me crying for the edit button. Then again, I'm quite a bit more anal than most when it comes to quality subs.

Subbing the bonus features and my talk earlier leads me to think that as a company, they're working to bring the quality issues up to a consistent high level, but I suppose that will remain to be seen as a bit of time goes by...

At one time I think KBFD was selling their translations to KBS, MBC, and maybe SBS to use on some of their Korean drama dvd boxsets. But since then KBS now does their subs in House. And now MBC America also does their subs in house.

IN fact on Kbfd digital and analog channel. He basically only shows SBS Dramas and Programs. Every so often you will see a MBC drama. Lucky for his translators since they still got a job. For a while it looked real bleak for them.

I heard a rumor that the reason Jeff Chung has gone the Sbs drama route. Is that SBS wanted to start a SBS Channel here in Hawaii. But It looks like Dictator Jeff Chung talked them into just showing the dramas on his channel instead of starting up a new channel. Got to give "The Dictator" his dues for still being the only game in town. He did it with Kbs America/Kbs World and now he did it with Sbs. Remember this is just a rumor that has been going around.

As for YAE subbing the extras they just recently started doing this. I can't remember which drama was the first but I was not impressed. Before YAE idea of extras were to Put 2 or 3 episodes from other YAE dramas on the last dvd. What a waste of a dvd and they had the nerve to call this extras.

Now if YAE wants to know how to do extras and subtitle them. Just look at the Region 3 Sbs Drama called "Alone In Love". As much as I hate Sbs dramas produced by SBS Prosuction on dvd they did a hell of a job with this one. Of course I think I paid $110 for this one. And just think YAE is also releasing this same drama on dvd. Lets see how there version turns out.

groink

Postby groink » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:40 pm

eternal_dragon_666 wrote:So YA's just a company formed to attack against North American based torrent sites distributing kdramas? Since Yesasia could've done this to d-A anytime for the past few years already. Or were they simply just trying to lure more ppl into kdramas b4 cutting their supply?

You make some good points. First, you have to bring into the conversation the Berne Convention:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Conv ... stic_Works

To summarize: The United States (YA Entertainment), Germany (D-Addicts's tracker) and Australia (Ruroshin) are all members of the Berne Convention. Berne allows for one member to enforce intellectual property laws within another member's jurisdiction. In the case of D-Addicts and YA Entertainment, YAE has the legal rights to come down on D-Addicts with legal action. YAE could also bother the ISP in Germany but instead addressed the issue with Ruroshin directly seeing his personal information is listed in the domain registry.

In the case of why YesAsia never bothered Ruroshin until now, we could speculate the reasons for eons. But the fact remains that there is no time limit for litigation (look at things like the GIF image format, ZIP compression algorithm, and many other technologies the patent owners sat on for years.) Litigation is like a sleeping volcano: even though it hasn't erupted in centuries, it CAN erupt today.

One could argue that copyright and patents are only good if the owner vigorously searches for infringement. And that type of argument has been brought up many times. In several cases I've read, IP owners have lost their right to sue because it was proven where the owner allowed one party to pass but sued another party. In one case concerning a author friend of mine, her PDF book was being shared at one university, but she instead decided to sue a much larger university. The judge then decided that she either sue both schools or don't sue period.

So it is possible that YesAsia used D-Addicts to sucker more people into K-dramas. But still, YesAsia CAN still sue D-Addicts. Even if YesAsia had no legal grounds, it would be best for Ruroshin to just comply; he once told me that if this happened a few years ago he would have the strength to fight it. But now that his life is different and D-Addicts isn't number-one in his priorities list, it would be best for him to just comply and not fight it.

To add to this, many people are saying they'll run to ClubBox. If it is true that YA Entertainment knows about D-Addicts, they most certainly know about ClubBox. And that could be their very next target. So rather than jumping from system to system like refugees, people should start developing a completely different solution, such as hosting the tracker on a non-Berne Convention location, or share via snail-mail like several members here do in Australia.

--- groink

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby pokute » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:41 pm

HD69 wrote:As for YAE subbing the extras they just recently started doing this. I can't remember which drama was the first but I was not impressed. Before YAE idea of extras were to Put 2 or 3 episodes from other YAE dramas on the last dvd. What a waste of a dvd and they had the nerve to call this extras.

Now if YAE wants to know how to do extras and subtitle them. Just look at the Region 3 Sbs Drama called "Alone In Love". As much as I hate Sbs dramas produced by SBS Prosuction on dvd they did a hell of a job with this one. Of course I think I paid $110 for this one. And just think YAE is also releasing this same drama on dvd. Lets see how there version turns out.

That sounds like a very good benchmark! I hope somebody buys it so the comparison can be made. Or maybe YAE will give you a set to promote the fabulous quality of their release. When we discuss in D-Addicts how brilliant their work is, it should generate plenty of sales.

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby Néa Vanille » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:52 pm

groink wrote:To add to this, many people are saying they'll run to ClubBox. If it is true that YA Entertainment knows about D-Addicts, they most certainly know about ClubBox. And that could be their very next target.

Clubbox is a Korean sharing program, used primarily by Korean users that uses a different approach than DA. Licensed dramas are already illegal on Clubbox, yet there are still many, many boxes that carry them, because it is a program with which you can download from many users's private files, their 'boxes'. All companies have been able to do so far is delete indivudal boxes - with the effect that some other people open a box with the very same files. So, in essence, it is a program that allows hundreds of thousands of Korean users to download Korean dramas and Korean movies, all of which are licensed and easily available in their own country. It's certainly possible that YAE will try to close down some of the most popular boxes catering to English-speaking fans, but if no Korean company, not even all these powerful movie companies that dislike seeing their movies on P2P programs and have traditionally been much more aggressive about it than producers of TV programs, has managed to stop CB until now, YAE's success seems unlikely.

Anyway, me, I won't buy any YAE releases, a big reason for which is my dislike for the Korean wave. Since the success of Winter Sonata, too many dramas have been produced solely for the intent of selling them, first to Japan and then, as the wave expanded, to all other Asian countries. Most of these dramas produced for this sole intention were bad, very bad, while the quality of all Korean dramas produced for Korean audiences has managed to convince me of the entertainment value of these dramas and has made me an avid fan. In a nutshell, I much prefer Korean dramas to cater to Korean tastes, rather than trying to appeal to people all over the globe. Though that means that less money will go to Korea and there will be less money to fund new dramas, I would certainly prefer the Korean wave to die down and Korean dramas to go back to their original goal: entertaining Korean audiences with Korean tastes. Since I don't want any companies to go bankrupt either, though, I am rather torn on this issue despite my preference, and though I'd prefer that these DVDs weren't being made, I have rather mixed feelings about them. I'm not going to buy them, but only time will tell what effect they will have on future dramas. I'm hoping that the effect will be small enough not to make Korean production companies believe they need to produce another one million Winter Sonatas. I'm sorry if that didn't make any sense, but well, I am torn: I want quality Korean dramas and in my experience, those not so obviously intended for sale appeal to me more. However, I don't want them to run out of money and start producing dramas with only half the budget they are currently getting. It's difficult... I think I prefer things to stay as they are. As it is, Korea produces many dramas a year which are obviously intented for international sale, but they also manage to squeeze in quite a few gems that, due to their subject matter or style, never made it big abroad and never could. The funding for both was there and I wish it would continue to be this way - without any stuff like licensed North American DVDs.

I don't appreciate any arguing regarding whether or not the success of Korean dramas abroad has caused their quality to deteriorate or not or not. I know that opinions and tastes differ. In fact, I don't appreciate any arguing period, because I find it exceedingly draining and pointless. I was simply trying to convey my feelings regarding the issue and the biggest reason for my decision not to support YAE. I think it's legit not to buy something because one does not fully appreciate the concept it stands for.

Well, for me it will be Korean TV, Korean DVDs and CB. And if CB will be brought down, which is highly unlikely, another platform. But since I'm permanently moving to Korea in August, I won't have to depend on any P2P programs for much longer anyway.
Last edited by Néa Vanille on Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:02 am, edited 5 times in total.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby pokute » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:12 am

eternal_dragon_666 wrote:So YA's just a company formed to attack against North American based torrent sites distributing kdramas? Since Yesasia could've done this to d-A anytime for the past few years already. Or were they simply just trying to lure more ppl into kdramas b4 cutting their supply?

Haha! No. They just know what sells, and they want to maximize their profit. A single cease-and-desist letter from their lawyer costs them about $100 (plus a bit for the time spent fielding aNToK's call), so if it results in $10,000 worth of sales, they hit the jackpot. It's a piddling amount of money, but a great return on a $100 investment. They're all gonna go eat at an upscale Korean BBQ tonight, and cook the meat themselves.

woainiF4

Postby woainiF4 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:59 am

this sucks man...Im about to cry. Hope goong s is not on there. Now I cant see any more good dramas. urghh

amberch0

Postby amberch0 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:21 am

ughhh...lame. i've seen YAE stuff at stores, but it's soo expensive it's ridiculous. this makes me a little worried for clubbox now [even though you guys have made a lot of good points about why it cb wouldn't "die"]. im a little bitter because im biased [even though i don't download by torrent]. i might think differently if i were in YAE's position.

//edit
oh schnap. i totally hadn't noticed the whole YA standing for YesAsia. that's freakking tricky jerkss!
//end edit
Last edited by amberch0 on Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

donna8157

Postby donna8157 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:37 am

This really sucks. :(

Athaclena42
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby Athaclena42 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:49 am

As of right now, Netflix carries the following kdramas that are licensed by YA:

Glass Slipper
Goong
Stained Glass (WHY??)
Shoot For the Stars
Save the Last Dance For Me
Happy Together
Goodbye My Love

I sent a message to their purchasing department asking them to please carry all of the licensed dramas by YA, and I put Shoot For the Stars in my queue. I want to see if they're actually YA DVDs, and I also want to see the quality of these. I should have rented Save the Last Dance, because I could compare it to the ones that I have already, but...I already have it! If the quality is good, I'll be happy to continue renting kdramas from Netflix, just like I rent American TV series.

SCBet

Postby SCBet » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:27 am

YA Entertainment only has the rights to SBS and MBC series. If you look at their site, none of their dramas are KBS. This is because KBS manufactures their own DVD's to the US. KBS sells all the ones they have on DVD to the US at their KBS America site. They only recently starting marketing their DVDs to the US, as I think they opened up their online shop in November or December. So probably for now, all of the KBS shows are safe.

sbungier

Postby sbungier » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:45 am

As of right now, Netflix carries the following kdramas that are licensed by YA:

Tigercimena.com carries alot more kdramas. They are a little more expensive but they send you the whole series at once rather than a few disc at a time. Plus they have a lot bigger selection.

It was only a matter of time that something like this would come up...A corporation sees an opportunity of something that is in demand because it becomes popular and then makes harder for everyone to enjoy. Like the saying goes "nothing is ever really free"

littlepotsticker

Postby littlepotsticker » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:54 am

What about the ones that have been dubbed in another language?

alli_potts

Postby alli_potts » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:08 am

Athaclena42 wrote:As of right now, Netflix carries the following kdramas that are licensed by YA:

Glass Slipper
Goong
Stained Glass (WHY??)
Shoot For the Stars
Happy Together
Goodbye My Love

I sent a message to their purchasing department asking them to please carry all of the licensed dramas by YA, and I put Shoot For the Stars in my queue. I want to see if they're actually YA DVDs, and I also want to see the quality of these. I should have rented Save the Last Dance, because I could compare it to the ones that I have already, but...I already have it! If the quality is good, I'll be happy to continue renting kdramas from Netflix, just like I rent American TV series.

This is a good idea. If enough people start requesting Korean drama it makes sense that they will carry more of it. I added the ones I have not seen yet to my queue, and I'll also request that they carry more Asian Drama. I am impressed that you were able to find all of these, the Netflix search makes it rather tough to find Korean movies and drama.

lorac
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby lorac » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:13 am

I guess Tom Larsen still thinks millions of us are watching these korean dramas on dvd on our 4:3 20" tv sets.
Hey, that be me, but still I refuse to watch movies formatted in 4:3.
I am really waiting for Jumong to come out. If it's in 4:3 format no sale.
I was told by a representative of YA Entertainment that Jumong will be 16:9. The conversation was instigated by my ranting about SBS's pathetically horrible release of Seo Dong Yo. I know they are trying to get the rights to Seo Dong Yo and my comment was don't even bother unless they can get the rights to the widescreen version. As it is, the Clubbox files based on the HDTV widescreen broadcast are much better quality than the SBS version for that reason alone.... not to mention the horrible subtitles. I'm still amazed that someone actually got paid for that offensive translation. If I'm passionate about anything, it's those dammed subs. Horrible.

So I'm hoping that YA Entertainment gets the right to a 16:9 Seo Dong Yo with quality English subtitles. Otherwise, why bother.

aplepy
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby aplepy » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:30 am

I don't know how you guys do it...finding Kdramas @ Netfilx... I couldn't find any at all...

It is a shame about what's happening.... Good thing Clubbox is still available..

SCBet

Postby SCBet » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:36 am

lorac wrote:So I'm hoping that YA Entertainment gets the right to a 16:9 Seo Dong Yo with quality English subtitles. Otherwise, why bother.

I agree. I was pretty upset with YA Entertainment's release of Goong. The picture is widescreen, but it is encoded as 4:3 with black bars above and below. I really didn't understand the logic behind that. I can't remember ever seeing a DVD with a widescreen picture encoded in 4:3.

HD69

Postby HD69 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:41 am

Athaclena42 wrote:As of right now, Netflix carries the following kdramas that are licensed by YA:

Glass Slipper
Goong
Stained Glass (WHY??)
Shoot For the Stars
Happy Together
Goodbye My Love

Who needs NetFlix. Just move to Hawaii and you can rent the whole drama for $1 from the Public Library. :w00t: :cheers:

HD69

Postby HD69 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:52 am

lorac wrote:
I guess Tom Larsen still thinks millions of us are watching these korean dramas on dvd on our 4:3 20" tv sets.
Hey, that be me, but still I refuse to watch movies formatted in 4:3.
I am really waiting for Jumong to come out. If it's in 4:3 format no sale.
I was told by a representative of YA Entertainment that Jumong will be 16:9. The conversation was instigated by my ranting about SBS's pathetically horrible release of Seo Dong Yo. I know they are trying to get the rights to Seo Dong Yo and my comment was don't even bother unless they can get the rights to the widescreen version. As it is, the Clubbox files based on the HDTV widescreen broadcast are much better quality than the SBS version for that reason alone.... not to mention the horrible subtitles. I'm still amazed that someone actually got paid for that offensive translation. If I'm passionate about anything, it's those dammed subs. Horrible.

So I'm hoping that YA Entertainment gets the right to a 16:9 Seo Dong Yo with quality English subtitles. Otherwise, why bother.

When I first saw Seo Dong Yo up for pre-order it was listed as being shown in 16:9 format. So I decided to pre-order it. After it arrived I open the box set and popped the first dvd in the dvd player and was shocked to see that it was in 4:3 foolscreen format. I checked the back of the back and no **** sherlock the boc said it was in 4:3 foolscreen format. I went back to check out a couple of websites and all of them now listed Seo Dong Yo as being in 4:3 foolscreen format. I was even more shocked when I started reading the subtitles. I could not believe what I was reading. Subtitles made no sense to me. Someone who has no understanding of the english language as well must be retarted must of translated this drama. I can't believe that SBS Production would Vol. 1 go into production like this. But no they also did the same thing for Vol. 2 and 3. Talk about trying to make a fast buck. I tried to retun Vol. 1 and could not since I open it up. From now on I will never buy another SBS Production dvd box set before I know that it's in 16"9 format and more important has much much netter subtitles.

HD69

Postby HD69 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:04 am

SCBet wrote:YA Entertainment only has the rights to SBS and MBC series. If you look at their site, none of their dramas are KBS. This is because KBS manufactures their own DVD's to the US. KBS sells all the ones they have on DVD to the US at their KBS America site. They only recently starting marketing their DVDs to the US, as I think they opened up their online shop in November or December. So probably for now, all of the KBS shows are safe.

Spoke to soon looks like YAE just aquired the rights to KBS drama Spring Waltz. Do a search on Yesasia.com and you will find it. :scratch:

Plus it looks like Spring Waltz has already been pulled from d-addicts.
Last edited by HD69 on Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

kobe23

Postby kobe23 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:20 am

It will take a monumental effort to stop Clubboxes from containing licensed drama's. It took the MPAA several years and milions of dollars to stop P2P programs such as Napster and KaZaa, but consequently hundreds of newer, better P2P programs surfaced. What they did then was target indexing sites such as sharereactor, in much the same way YAE is targetting DA. But thankfully, you don't need indexing sites to use CB. Néa pointed out some drama's are already illegal on Clubbox, but over the past few months I have been able to find every single k-drama I wanted to find.

@groink

I wasn't having a go at you in any way shape or form for uploading files on DA. In fact, what you do is great for the community, but just don't try and take the high moral ground on this issue.

SharArandia

Postby SharArandia » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:42 am

So by this, are we still able to download the already subbed versions provided on silentregrets.com? :( This is really sad. I was shocked to see Goong removed on crunchyroll.com The only reason I watch it on those sites is to save myself from downloading the videos. Looks like I'm going to have to now, aren't I? :P

autuymnrain
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby autuymnrain » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:59 am

SharArandia wrote:So by this, are we still able to download the already subbed versions provided on silentregrets.com? :( This is really sad. I was shocked to see Goong removed on crunchyroll.com The only reason I watch it on those sites is to save myself from downloading the videos. Looks like I'm going to have to now, aren't I? :P

actually, goong and goongS might be removed soon too, if they already haven't. WithS2 doesn't want any files of hardsubbed dramas out because it then starts to get complicated with the whole copyright issues.

ThaChinky

Postby ThaChinky » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:59 am

if you make your own subs, you can always post it at veoh.com or stage6.com.
those sites stream the videos and members can download the originals.

altho, they will remove the vids if the licence owner asks them to, or somebody stupid complains about it.

i had my stuff removed....

Athaclena42
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby Athaclena42 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:59 am

HD69 wrote:

Glass Slipper
Goong
Stained Glass (WHY??)
Shoot For the Stars
Happy Together
Goodbye My Love

Who needs NetFlix. Just move to Hawaii and you can rent the whole drama for $1 from the Public Library. :w00t: :cheers:

I was in Hawaii for two weeks a couple of years back...I didn't want to come home. Now it sounds even more appealing to go back!!

Rosebud

Postby Rosebud » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:11 am

As with the manga releases and the anime releases, if you get a bad quality release, you have to complain to the company. Tokyo Pop was forced to get better with their translations, because they got tons of email and real mail telling them until they got their act together, they weren't going to purchase anything. If you word it respectfully (no swearing) they are apt to answer you also. Ice Kunion is a Korean group and they are really trying hard to release great quality Manhwa. So there are good companies out there both here and in foreign countries. You just have to keep talking to them. I've emailed about the non wide screen for this company, we'll see how they respond.

yamcha

Postby yamcha » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:59 am

If you think about it, it's a good thing. Getting rid of those Korean dramas is like getting rid of all the Hyundais off the road. It is an inferior product compared to a Honda or Toyota. And the thought of buying Koreans dramas for $100 each? HAHAHA! Would you pay 100k or 200k for a Hyundai or a KIA?

cutekid

Postby cutekid » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:12 am

yamcha wrote:If you think about it, it's a good thing. Getting rid of those Korean dramas is like getting rid of all the Hyundais off the road. It is an inferior product compared to a Honda or Toyota. And the thought of buying Koreans dramas for $100 each? HAHAHA! Would you pay 100k or 200k for a Hyundai or a KIA?

what a mean thing to say! anyways its your opinion. i thinks its a good thing for now. just hope that prices would go down as competition between retailers arise. and i hope there would be a local retailer of asian dramas here in our country. i would like to buy and support the original ones. currently there is non that i know of. the only available are pirated ones. as for now i would be looking for them here and other sources.
Certified P.A.C.T.er(P.inoy A.ddicts C.ommunity T.oh)
http://cutenabata.multiply.com

dandan1964

Postby dandan1964 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:12 am

aNToK wrote:Not to mention the fact that they're charging over $100 per series. Get real YA, this is beyond ridiculous...

Greedy people...SUCK....

What's next libraries?? They have been sharing "licensed" materials for years....

khmai_kandi22

Postby khmai_kandi22 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:19 am

dandan1964 wrote:
aNToK wrote:Not to mention the fact that they're charging over $100 per series. Get real YA, this is beyond ridiculous...

Greedy people...SUCK....

What's next libraries?? They have been sharing "licensed" materials for years....

LMAO

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

yamcha

Postby yamcha » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:22 am

cutekid wrote:just hope that prices would go down as competition between retailers arise. and i hope there would be a local retailer of asian dramas here in our country. i would like to buy and support the original ones. currently there is non that i know of. the only available are pirated ones. as for now i would be looking for them here and other sources.

Probably not since your country isn't really considered an Asian country. Asian dramas will be marketed to countries with Asians and Asian culture. That's how they make money. Marketing Asian dramas in the philippines would be about as profitable as marketing to mexico.

QueenOfRice

Postby QueenOfRice » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:39 am

laaaaaammmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeee. i hate things getting licensed :/

DAE JANG GEUM is on the list! >< and sooo many more good ones~

makes me wonder if they think this would be a good business to go into :/

pinkcow

Postby pinkcow » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:46 am

yamcha wrote:If you think about it, it's a good thing. Getting rid of those Korean dramas is like getting rid of all the Hyundais off the road. It is an inferior product compared to a Honda or Toyota. And the thought of buying Koreans dramas for $100 each? HAHAHA! Would you pay 100k or 200k for a Hyundai or a KIA?

Wow. I'm astonished by some of the ignorance and obnoxiousness that goes around. :-(

jpwoof

Postby jpwoof » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:02 am

pinkcow wrote:

Wow. I'm astonished by some of the ignorance and obnoxiousness that goes around. :-(

i concur. his analogy makes me puke.

zinaa

Postby zinaa » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:10 am

pinkcow wrote:

Hey yamcha :goggle: Don't say that

my father have Hyundai Car and he is very happy with it :D
and my best friend have a KIA and also she also happy with it.... :wub:

I LOVE Kdrama and I buy Kdrama DVD sometimes from online shops….. :wub:
And yes I love Jdorama, and also sometimes I buy Jdorama DVD… :wub:

And NO, am not a Korean or a Japanese …..

P.S I LOVE Korean FOOD so much :thumleft:

lorac
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby lorac » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:11 am

Marketing Asian dramas in the philippines would be about as profitable as marketing to mexico.
Think again... do you know that Seo Dong Yo is big in Thailand right now because it's being broadcast on TV. There is a big following for Korean dramas in the Philippines too. I'm only familiar with the Jo Hyun Jae drama craze, but I'm sure the other dramas and actors have big followings too.

When I first saw Seo Dong Yo up for pre-order it was listed as being 16:9 format. So I decided to pre-order it.
HD69 I feel your pain... I pre-ordered Seo Dong Yo from Yesasia and after it shipped I learned it was 4:3. I immediately called Yesasia and started asking questions. At first they did not know, but after 3 or 4 calls they confirmed it was 4:3. By then I had established the precident of being displeased and was able to return it unopened. Now we all know Yesasia's return policy is stringent and they do not give $$ refunds nor reimburse the cost of shipping to Hong Kong, but I kept hammering away at them and got them to agree to a Visa credit and a store credit for the shipping. Since I knew I would be buying a DVD in the near future I did not mind the $18 credit for shipping.

They make you work for a return credit, but usually they come to their senses. Once I had to tell them that the conversation would have ended 10 minutes ago if their customer service was in America. Ugly Americans... we do live up to our reputation... but in a nice way!

Then the same customer service rep got me on the next call about the Puzzle DVD that was advertised as being a 2-disc set...and it was not. I bet she hated to hear my name.

lovedorama
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby lovedorama » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:18 am

OMG, it finally came down to this... :( I'm sorry to see so many torrents removed! And of course some of the current projects have to be dropped as well, i.e. Jumong. Man, this shucks. D-addicts has gotten so much attention with so many members... I don't want to say it's time, but...

I've admired YAE for their excellent subs in the past... Being a native speaker, I must say their subs are far better than any I've seen... But if YAE is making the move, I'm kind of weary about the other companies as well (KDT America and KBS America). KBS America did go after YesAsia last year for distributing their dramas without any proper license, so I'm kind of worried that others may follow suit.

Well, like Groink mentioned earlier, some may have to resort to snail mail, which I already do.
Image Image Image
~ Check out Hanryus completed projects: Piano, Rules of Love, & Stars Echo ~

Goong:)

Postby Goong:) » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:29 am

WHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAT??????????????????????????
just when i was making a collection!!!!!!!!!

PJB

Postby PJB » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:03 am

Hmm better get finishing up any series I'm currently downloading fast... Who knows that will be pulled next. :(

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby aNToK » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:00 am

It'd be nice to find out which series are on the drawing board for licensing. I'm becoming a little wary that a show or two I'm working on will end up on their list before the thing even gets done.

Hmm... Maybe I should go bug them and see how much the services of a kick-ass editor and QC guy is worth...

Nah. I'd probably drive their translators crazy with my nit-picking....
I am not obsessed. I am just very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very focussed...

lovedorama
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby lovedorama » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:05 am

aNToK wrote:It'd be nice to find out which series are on the drawing board for licensing. I'm becoming a little wary that a show or two I'm working on will end up on their list before the thing even gets done.

Hmm... Maybe I should go bug them and see how much the services of a kick-ass editor and QC guy is worth...

Nah. I'd probably drive their translators crazy with my nit-picking....

If the above's true, you're the guy that the translators need the most, keeping us in line. Haha. I, for one, can't edit my own work worth a darn... The rest of my group are good at QC'ing... My eyes go in circles when reading something more than 1 time.
Image Image Image

~ Check out Hanryus completed projects: Piano, Rules of Love, & Stars Echo ~

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby aNToK » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:15 am

I blame it on the fact that I used to skip school in 5th and 6th grade occasionally to go to the library and read. If it weren't for the wickedest curveball and being the fastest guy in the school, I'd have been considered a total nerd. As it was, I was only a half-nerd methinks...

sagerosell

omg

Postby sagerosell » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:25 am

this is so uncool.. i cant watch jumong anymore.. can somebody give an alternative link on where to download jumong?? please help me.. you can send it to my email sage_rosell28@yahoo.com

deuk-gu

Postby deuk-gu » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:05 pm

there's one one lesson from this:

get only the brand new drama and get them fast before they grab them!!! :cussing:
ImageLove Hyun Bin <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3 :wub:

rambutan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby rambutan » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:12 pm

Just my idea exactly. [spoiler]Perhaps subbers get the msge? Apologise first, don't bash me, never mean to hurry anyone[/spoiler]

deuk-gu

Postby deuk-gu » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:18 pm

lucypcng wrote:Just my idea exactly. [spoiler]Perhaps subbers get the msge? Apologise first, don't bash me, never mean to hurry anyone[/spoiler]

hehe.. you better get ready then... :sweat:
ImageLove Hyun Bin <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3 :wub:

elden41

Postby elden41 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:38 pm

eternal_dragon_666 wrote:
So YA's just a company formed to attack against North American based torrent sites distributing kdramas? Since Yesasia could've done this to d-A anytime for the past few years already. Or were they simply just trying to lure more ppl into kdramas b4 cutting their supply?

Haha! No. They just know what sells, and they want to maximize their profit. A single cease-and-desist letter from their lawyer costs them about $100 (plus a bit for the time spent fielding aNToK's call), so if it results in $10,000 worth of sales, they hit the jackpot. It's a piddling amount of money, but a great return on a $100 investment. They're all gonna go eat at an upscale Korean BBQ tonight, and cook the meat themselves.

-LOL...They will cook the meat themselves at a Korean BBQ. You're still on that Pokute? That guy was ridiculous though.[quote][/quote]

lorac
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby lorac » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:56 pm

A great part of D-Addicst is providing torrents and subtitles for dramas. There is much more to it, but it is the premier site for this. If this trend spreads beyond licensed YAE items, then it seems only logical that a site for drama subtitles, sorta like Kloofy, will develop. Not a bad idea. I'm sure many people get their files via Clubbox, IRC or Usenet. The beauty of D-Addicts is the subs are made specifically for the torrents. It will be interesting to see how this evolves.

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby Néa Vanille » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:12 pm

People, yamcha is a racist troll here to offend you and she (?) has so far only posted little (nothing?) that wasn't either race-related and in most cases, extremely racist.

Do it like me and put that ignore button to use. :mrgreen: Trolls are not worth your time.

wakaba

Postby wakaba » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:24 pm

Aw! But that's totally understandable.

Yet, the sad thing is that YA products are available to be shipped only to NA...? Or is it just YesAsia?

xl0lxl0lx

Postby xl0lxl0lx » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:26 pm

to be honest, i'm suprised d-addicts has gone this long with all those kdramas.
i expected it to come, and i'm sad about it, but it was nice while it lasted.

there are always the few dramas that aren't licensed.
haha, yeah, maybe there will be the newest drama before ya licenses it, but idk if subbers want to do all that work if it's gonna be removed soon afterwards.

<3 d-addicts, the best site on the internet

X0X

Postby X0X » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:22 pm

What is YAE against? The fansubs or the torrents? Maybe my understanding of copyright laws is incorrect, but I don't see how fansubs are illegal. Fansubs are original works. This is not copyright infringement. I can transcript entire shows, movies, or songs if I produced it myself. It's as if I tell a friend what happens in a movie. I'm not infringing on copyright. There are complete movies sceenplays on the Internet produced by fans and it's not violating copyright laws.

When it comes to torrents I can understand, because the MPAA and RIAA has placed legal pressure on BitTorrent sites and shut them down, even though BitTorrent metafiles do not contain copyrighted material.

X0X

Postby X0X » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:23 pm

Can you post a copy of the letter?

Return to “D-Addicts Announcements”