Licensed Dramas To Be Removed

News, Updates and Information about this site.
This section is important, please read it for changes about the site!
doodoofan
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:57 pm

Postby doodoofan » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:04 pm

marie_23 wrote:
doodoofan wrote:I have just found out about this in WITHS2 page. OMG this totally sucks! I hate it when we are not allowed to download things just because they are licensed. I've been tired of licensed manga, anime and now DRAMA! Does this mean we will no longer be able to watch the drama we like unless we have enough money to pay for them?? God YA think that everyone in this world are rich??

Btw I have a little question: Will the drama uploaded to free file hosting (megaupload, rapidshare, etc.) in some drama sites be removed too? If yes, it will be the end of the world to me! :(


Uhmm...Unless the people trying to sue d-addicts can stop pirating of licensed material all over the world (which is virtually impossible) :glare: you can rest assured some one will have the dramas in question you are asking about floating out their on the wide open space called the internet.


Thanks. As long as the drama are still available to download. it'd be great. :lol

User avatar
xse7enx
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:19 am
Location: Arizona, US

Postby xse7enx » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:41 am

Well I didn't mean attack the companies. Just simply trying to find some common ground. There are websites that charge a small monthly fee for watching dramas, movies, etc... problem is that there isn't many in the selection.

SummerMemories
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:17 pm
Location: NYC, USA

Postby SummerMemories » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:29 am

right now im thankful it is just the korean dramas being licensed at the moment, even tho i love the korean dramas. i cant fathom the japanese dramas getting licensed by this company. im really sad about my girl and goong tho. they are amazing dramas. i dont have 100 plus dollars to spend on these dvds

HD69
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:02 pm

Postby HD69 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:34 am

aNToK wrote:My beloved Battlestar Galactica (reimagined 2003) series has an srp of $60 on Amazon, and season 2 is sold in 2 parts with an srp of $49.98 each for about 24 eps total which puts it real close to the 16-20 ep runs and $99.98 srp for many of the K-dramas at the YAE site. Hell, the original asking price for the old '70s series is around $70, and most people didn't even remember the thing existed until the new one came out...


I have gotten lucky in the past and gotten some Battlestar Galactica Season Box sets for $25 each. This is why I just don't jump and buy stuff any more when they are first released. I been waiting to get the Stargate SG-1 box sets. Seasons 1-8 finally dropped down to $19.95 each. So now I think it is the right time to pick them up at BB.

User avatar
Grc733
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:41 am
Location: *other people's dreams*

Postby Grc733 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:38 am

Woah they did ???? where where I was waiting also I mean I love Stargate SG-1
ImageImage

HD69
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:02 pm

Postby HD69 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:45 am

Grc733 wrote:Woah they did ???? where where I was waiting also I mean I love Stargate SG-1


Yes BB website shows all 8 seasons for $19.99. I am sure your local BB we also have them for the same price. Or order online and pick them up in-store.

User avatar
starfishy
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:29 pm

Postby starfishy » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:58 am

HD69 wrote:
Grc733 wrote:Woah they did ???? where where I was waiting also I mean I love Stargate SG-1


Yes BB website shows all 8 seasons for $19.99. I am sure your local BB we also have them for the same price. Or order online and pick them up in-store.


Indeed they are, wow! =O Now I wish I live in the places they ship to..

User avatar
StarDust
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:20 am
Location: Canada

Postby StarDust » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:58 am

Do they ship here in Canada? :blink

I haven't finished downloading some of the episodes... :cry:
Image Image

User avatar
ivanlsm
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:56 am
Contact:

Postby ivanlsm » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:52 am

Is about time, wasn't surprised, was expecting this to happen, but no worries! This is the P2P we're talking here. No one or organization can stop peer to peer file sharing, as of yet. There are heaps of public trackers out there. Just pick your choice or just use DHT network to find peers. Always use proxy server IP.

This forum is just a source of information and communication. Well, just like what Asianfanatic had done.

As for file hosting sites, don't see anyway they can track each uploads. Even if they're able to, just rename the file name after zip or rar.

This goes for the subs, soft or hard, as well...

Cheers!

PM me. I'm trying it out...and YA Ent, WTF!
Image
Currently Releasing & Seeding:

The Devil Ep.01-02 (chinese hardsubbed)

hasenzahn
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:49 pm

Postby hasenzahn » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:27 pm

I have read many comments and I'm quite dissapointed with some of them. What became to the gentlemens agreement? I think YA is having every right to ask for removing all licenced stuff. They make good quality subs and even when when it is really difficult for non american fans to get that licenced stuff, for me I try it.
If I like a series I support the companies and staff with buying it. It may be expensive but so I have to save that money.

And to be honest, only few of many many dramas are licenced, so you don't have to worry that you cannot see any drama in future.

You should stop complaining and support the makers of that Drama, the actors and all licencees of the removed dramas by buying the drama or at least don't support illegal trading. The worst what can be happening is when licencees closing down all fansubbers.

User avatar
tammiest
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:09 pm
Location: U.S. of A.

Postby tammiest » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:57 am

People, people...
alli_potts wrote:Although, I don't think the idea of American licensed Asian drama is a terrible thing, I just hope that the price is equal to the quality.

^^ Agreed 100%. I think it's GREAT that someone is taking an interest in subbing Asian dramas. Yes, I do think the sets are over-priced, especially when no-one knows whether or not the subs are high-quality/some d-addicts fansubbers may have done the work for them... but people HAVE been clamoring for more access to subbed dramas (just check out YesAsia... they get a ton of requests). We're only getting what we wished for.

Here are some LEGAL suggestions:

1. I don't know about Europe, but in America, there is an AZN Entertainment Channel... you have to pay that network specifically, but all of their Korean dramas are shown with decent English subs. If you really can't cough up the $100+ for a drama (and I am not blaming you), this might be the route for you. They show at least two Korean dramas at a time, usually every day, and they also have anime, Jdramas, and Cdramas (although those aren't always subbed). When I had this channel (they gave us a free trial), they were showing Jewel in the Palace, Hotelier, Winter Sonata, Kim Sam Soon, and As You Wish.

And guess what? Then you can tape or TiVo it for yourself.

2. I know for a fact that people living in other Asian countries, like the Philippines, Singapore, or even Taiwan, will get some of these dramas dubbed or subbed into their own languages and shown on TV. Yeah, it's not all dramas, but we are only talking about the most popular ones, anyway, at this point.

Again, the VCR/DVR is your friend.

Not only that, sometimes they do RELEASE English-subbed versions to VCD or DVD. For example, there's a version of Taiwanese drama Devil Beside You on YesAsia that is English-subbed... it's the Malaysian version, and I am told the sub quality is excellent. The Singapore English subs for Taiwanese drama WZBQW were also great.

3. For those who CAN read another Asian language, a lot of those aforementioned countries will release pretty decent subtitled versions (their own language, not English) to DVD. For example, my dad bought the "official" (well, it looked official and wasn't exactly DIRT-cheap) Princess Hours/Goong DVD with pretty good Chinese subs for me in China... for probably $30. AND it played fullscreen on my fullscreen TV, but widescreen on my widescreen TV. Amazing video quality!

4. You can also just wait for the quality to get better and, therefore, the price to go down. As mentioned before, in the anime world it was also the same... anime is still pretty expensive, but it's getting cheaper every year to buy them.

5. Or, alternatively (and technically illegally), if none of these suggestions work for you, I guess it's Clubbox.

-----

Of course, it's a tricky business, and it's understandable that everyone's hesitant to fork over so much money when we're unsure of the quality or legitimacy of subs. But I just think that we shouldn't be so quick to condemn YAE.

snooopy06
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 6:23 am

Postby snooopy06 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:17 pm

is there another torrent site i can use to download the dramas it is most easier for me
I checked the website and it was really expensive out of my budget

User avatar
Hitnrun
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:16 pm

Postby Hitnrun » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:12 pm

Ahh well, here I am again, living in Brazil so I can't buy it from USA (not without spending a week's worth of salary), and can't download it too... should I make a D-Addicts in Brazil as nothing is ever licensed here?

User avatar
groink
Posts: 3218
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:58 am
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Postby groink » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:55 pm

Hitnrun wrote:Ahh well, here I am again, living in Brazil so I can't buy it from USA (not without spending a week's worth of salary), and can't download it too... should I make a D-Addicts in Brazil as nothing is ever licensed here?

Well, if you think about it, there is nothing D-Addicts-related on U.S. soil. It is the Berne Convention that allows a U.S. company to bother Ruroshin, who lives in Australia, and has his equipment in Germany. Both Australia and Germany are members of the Convention. Brazil, unfortunately, is also a member of the Convention (member since 1922).

--- groink

Sakari
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:20 am

Postby Sakari » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:27 am

groink wrote:Well, if you think about it, there is nothing D-Addicts-related on U.S. soil. It is the Berne Convention that allows a U.S. company to bother Ruroshin, who lives in Australia, and has his equipment in Germany. Both Australia and Germany are members of the Convention. Brazil, unfortunately, is also a member of the Convention (member since 1922).

--- groink

I don't think a license is the same thing as a copyright. As far as I understand, YAEnt only owns the copyright of their English subtitles. The copyright of the TV drama itself belongs to the Korean producers. What YAEnt has regarding the dramas is a North American license, and that license does not apply outside North America. The subtitle copyright does.

Ueda Jiro
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:50 am

Postby Ueda Jiro » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:19 am

It's not so much on the copyrights of the subtitles, but more on the distribution rights. That's what the license is all about.

Shindou-Kun
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 390
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:58 am
Location: Norway
Contact:

Postby Shindou-Kun » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:30 am

This sucks! Series licensed by YAE can't be shipped to Europe. It's only licensed in North America. So they are not allowed to ship the dvd's to Europe.

I tried to buy the Romance DVD Box set a while ago.. I had to have it shipped to someone I know in the US and then she forwarded it to me. Expencive and not fair :-(

User avatar
Amika
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue May 04, 2004 5:52 am
Location: Malaysia

Postby Amika » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:55 am

seem like their products mostly are k-drama.. so i guess it's bad news for those k-drama lovers out there.. :whistling:
Image

Tampasolar
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:36 pm

Postby Tampasolar » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:58 am

on one hand it sounds like a great idea...on the other hand they may be jumping the gun.
the internet is making k-drama shows bigger and bigger as time goes by..they might end up slowing down the momentum.. i really do think "k-drama" is the next anime.

let's hope yae tv licences out to american tv stations.

8)

User avatar
gotfryrice
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:34 pm
Location: United of the States

Postby gotfryrice » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:25 pm

this is bull shot
they are just trying to make off money.
like the music industry, they are losing money because many people download music for free. i can understand that. but people that are not in korea, and want to watch korean drama, they dont have channels to watch it. we can only have access to it through youtube and other download sites. if they do it, people are just gonna turn away from kdrama and watch some other nation drama.
Image
THANKS Kamui6!!!!

bomber32
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:59 am

sad! so sad!

Postby bomber32 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:27 am

I think the only solution would be.

sub it fast and release before it get licensed like those anime fan-subs do. and lets not forget seeding cause even if we sub and release it as early as possible w/o seeding the release is useless. Like what happen in Goong (**** those ass cough, cough i love those but too bad :( ) it was sub and release early but due to low seeding I ended up with 6 episode missing, even thought my upload rate is max out.

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 2465
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:34 am
Location: East Bay
Contact:

Postby aNToK » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:48 am

Y'know, I just love how this thread has turned lately into leechers with the "just sub it faster before it gets licensed", or the " They're just out to make money" crap.

Here's a thought: No **** people are trying to make money off of them. If there's a market willing to pay for a decent quality product, then of course someone will try to step in to fill that desire. Do I pay for shows I really like? Oftentimes, yes. Does the quality of the subs often not justify the price? Hell yes as well. Now maybe I'm just in a pissed-off mood at the moment, or maybe I have some latent johnny-come-lately prejudice, but forgive me if I say that these "sub it faster" and " how dare they try to put out a product and actually make money" suggestions are some of the biggest bullshit, selfish little "suggestions" to come down the pipe lately.

If you're actually a fan of dramas, then support them. If you're only concerned with getting something for nothing and "if it ain't free, then screw 'em" crowd, then you're NOT a Kdrama fan at all.

Will I be pissed if some series I'm working on are licensed and not able to be upped here? Of course (actually, that's happened once already). Am I going to begrudge someone for trying to make $$ on the trend? No.

Now if they put out a crappy product, then complain. Don't support it. But if you're actually a true fan of the genre, then push for more "professional" professional products. I'll hop on that bandwagon in a heartbeat.
But if the going trend of the day turns into "let's turn up the heat on the subbers to get them done faster", then yeah, I'll have a big problem with that.

Someone do me a favor and chime in. Be nice to hear a suggestion that doesn't include pushing the subbers to crank out product any faster than they feel necessary to create a quality product. Restore my faith in leechers, I dare you....
I am not obsessed. I am just very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very focussed...

User avatar
groink
Posts: 3218
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:58 am
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Postby groink » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:23 am

aNToK wrote:Y'know, I just love how this thread has turned lately into leechers with the "just sub it faster before it gets licensed", or the " They're just out to make money" crap.

Here's a thought: No **** people are trying to make money off of them.

Capitalism. Here's my take: Enjoy it! I'm in total support of making money.

When the Internet became mainstream in the early 1990s, that's when I started hearing that capitalism was a bad thing. Virtually every single argument I've heard regarding making money has been looked at negatively. I really really don't understand why any company wanting to make money are looked negatively.

Let's face it: capitalism is here, and it is here to stay. Everything in life rides on money. Money is what produces everything in this world. And there's nothing in this world that's going to change it - either on the Internet, changing politicians and governments - nothing. Capitalism will be here for the next 500 years. We're all only going to live for the next 100 years or less. So let's all drop this "money making people are baaaaaaaaaaad" and just join in on the fun and make a few bucks for yourselves. That's my plan.

--- groink

nastyboyz
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:20 am

Postby nastyboyz » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:49 am

OMG lot of Korean Dramas will be remove :-( :cry: :-(

sveta
Posts: 183
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:06 pm
Location: Texas

Postby sveta » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:24 am

I can sort of understand why people have problems with money-making people. We work, pay taxes, go to school, support our gov and our families (i'm speaking from US). Most K-Dramas cost close to 200 dollars. I doubt many would want ot spend that much money on a drama they might not like, and will not be able to return later. If prices were cheaper perhaps, maybe 20-30 dollars per drama, then i doubt there would be lots of outrages. From my own standpoint though, i didn't feel represented, no one asked my permission or consulted me, and i felt outraged about the situation when i first learned of it. I don't know if others feel the way i felt. What i'm trying to say, i feel that the company should have taken a poll or something of this community, to see what members here about dramas being licensed in US. I've known of this site for almost a year, and i never saw any mention of dramas being licensed. To me it felt out of the blue. THe torrents are there one day, hten gone the next (which describes my feelings when i learned of situation).

User avatar
elden41
Posts: 585
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:23 pm
Location: OC, CA

Postby elden41 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:40 am

@sveta, Sorry, I don't feel the same way as you on most of your points. Do you think the world revolves around you where everything or everyone needs your permission or consultation? YAE is a business which is trying to make money. Do I like it that the licensed dramas are removed? No, I don't like it. Do I understand why they're doing this? Yes, they're trying to generate revenue.

sveta
Posts: 183
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:06 pm
Location: Texas

Postby sveta » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:49 am

I know that the world doesn't revolve me. I'm curious, what points do you disagree with and why? I just would like to see where in my thinking you find faulty logic or viewpoints. What i was saying earlier, in ideal world, it would've been a good marketing strategy. But in this world where rich speak for everyone, i doubt they'd do anything of the kind.

:offtopic: thanks for your help in clubbox
Last edited by sveta on Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
elden41
Posts: 585
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:23 pm
Location: OC, CA

Postby elden41 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:56 am

@svetla. This is what you said "From my own standpoint though, i didn't feel represented, no one asked my permission or consulted me, and i felt outraged about the situation when i first learned of it."

That's what I don't agree with.

Since you're from Texas, I'm sure I probably love you even though I don't know you. I went to Dallas and San Antonio late last year and learned that Texans are really hospitable.

sveta
Posts: 183
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:06 pm
Location: Texas

Postby sveta » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:03 am

elden41 wrote:@svetla. This is what you said "From my own standpoint though, i didn't feel represented, no one asked my permission or consulted me, and i felt outraged about the situation when i first learned of it."

That's what I don't agree with.

Since you're from Texas, I'm sure I probably love you even though I don't know you. I went to Dallas and San Antonio late last year and learned that Texans are really hospitable.


Ah i see, thank you for letting me know. I live close to Dallas, and i loved San Antonio. I was speaking of the feelings i had at the moment when i learned of the situation. Thank you again for letting me know. How's California like? I've never been there before.

User avatar
elden41
Posts: 585
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:23 pm
Location: OC, CA

Postby elden41 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:12 am

@sveta, CA is great. I love it here. I'm off to bed though. I PM'd you. Check it out.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1290
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:15 pm

Postby pokute » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:08 pm

aNToK wrote:Now if they put out a crappy product, then complain. Don't support it. But if you're actually a true fan of the genre, then push for more "professional" professional products. I'll hop on that bandwagon in a heartbeat.


There is already a subforum at D-Addicts for critiqueing Korean drama dvd's:

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewforum_39.htm
Last edited by pokute on Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gixo
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 875
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:22 am

Postby gixo » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:50 pm

Shindou-Kun wrote:This sucks! Series licensed by YAE can't be shipped to Europe. It's only licensed in North America. So they are not allowed to ship the dvd's to Europe.

I tried to buy the Romance DVD Box set a while ago.. I had to have it shipped to someone I know in the US and then she forwarded it to me. Expencive and not fair :-(


They are not allowed to ship to Europe because they only have licences for North America? hmmm... but what about buying the stuff via yesasia or amazon then? I mean on their homepage YAE announced that their products can be purchased at that sides and both sides ship to Europe. It's not licenced for Europe but still you can somehow get it from there, don't you? :unsure: I never had any problems before when I ordered Asian dramas from Asia. I heard from other people that sometimes they had to pay the national tax when the package was checked at the customer office. But that was all. So it should be possible to purchase YAE licenced dramas in Europe however the shipping costs might be pretty high.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1290
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:15 pm

Postby pokute » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:01 pm

Fortunately neither Amazon nor their "partners" are kept up nights worrying about the law. You should be able to buy anything from Amazon no matter where you are, though you may get dinged for VAT or other customs duty. Currently it is possible to buy full-strength coca leaf tea from Amazon, and have it delivered in the U.S., where it is illegal. Search for "coca lupi" on Amazon.
Amazon also sells (as do their partners, in spades) bootleg and pirated merch, so be careful who you buy from, and don't think it's legit just because it says "sold directly by Amazon".

I can personally recommend Amazon Marketplace seller Annyoung-Com, since I have dropped a few bills with her and always got legit merch.

gixo
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 875
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:22 am

Postby gixo » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:46 pm

Hope one of the gasoo/ mod can help me with this question. Don't know if you've seen it. But some month ago I started a thread in the Chinese section to share drama KTV/MVs. Now the thread has grown a lot and people started to share Japanese and also Korean drama MV/KTVs. So some of us decided to create a seperate Japanese and Korean thread. However since some Korean dramas recently got licenced, we are wondering wether the MV/KTVs are also forbidden to share here? As for now the links to Goong, My Girl etc are taken down until we get an OK from one of you guys. Here is the link to the thread. http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopi ... 565#661565

Ueda Jiro
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:50 am

Postby Ueda Jiro » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:28 am

gixo wrote:Hope one of the gasoo/ mod can help me with this question. Don't know if you've seen it. But some month ago I started a thread in the Chinese section to share drama KTV/MVs. Now the thread has grown a lot and people started to share Japanese and also Korean drama MV/KTVs. So some of us decided to create a seperate Japanese and Korean thread. However since some Korean dramas recently got licenced, we are wondering wether the MV/KTVs are also forbidden to share here? As for now the links to Goong, My Girl etc are taken down until we get an OK from one of you guys. Here is the link to the thread. http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopi ... 565#661565

I'm not a mod but I don't think MV/KTVs will infringe the rights.

User avatar
Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2544
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:57 am
Contact:

Postby Ruroshin » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:45 am

should be alright unless I hear otherwise.

gixo
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 875
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:22 am

Postby gixo » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:57 am

Ruroshin wrote:should be alright unless I hear otherwise.


thanks for the fast answer. When a problem occur we'll take the links down again. Just send me or tammiest a PM then.

User avatar
tammiest
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:09 pm
Location: U.S. of A.

Postby tammiest » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:51 am

Ruroshin wrote:should be alright unless I hear otherwise.

^^ Thanks for the reply. There's been another post, though, wondering if they can request drama NG's and behind-the-scenes. I'm going to go with "no" unless it's a news clip? Or should I just go with a flat "no" to avoid complications? What do you think?

User avatar
banzaiboi
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:05 am

Postby banzaiboi » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:35 am

that cut off ALOT of good series .. like my girl, my name is kim sam soon .. patzii .. xD damm .. oh well ! hope to get my hands on goong S before they liscense that too T___T'

sveta
Posts: 183
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:06 pm
Location: Texas

Postby sveta » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:49 am

Don't know if anyone else will agree with me, but i really think that ahead of time, YAE should make a list of potential dramas that will be licensed. It seems like there's pandemonium over the news in my opinion. Having a list of 'potential' dramas would really help reduce the chaos.
Example:
Goong S
Goong 2
etc.

User avatar
Nicki123
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:56 pm
Contact:

Postby Nicki123 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:22 pm

this sucks big time. im new to the whole kdramas online thing. Does this mean that eventually people in America wont be able to download kdramas off the web??? god this soo sucks!!! i guess i can always go back to renting dramas at korean markets, which dont even have subs. I'll have to ask my mom to come over and translant every single word. did i mention that this sucks!!!????
Simply OBSESSED with kdramas
Image

User avatar
Aka Kelvin
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:34 pm
Location: United Kingdom, England, Essex

Postby Aka Kelvin » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:32 pm

Nicki123 wrote:this sucks big time. im new to the whole kdramas online thing. Does this mean that eventually people in America wont be able to download kdramas off the web??? god this soo sucks!!! i guess i can always go back to renting dramas at korean markets, which dont even have subs. I'll have to ask my mom to come over and translant every single word. did i mention that this sucks!!!????


I think you're allowed to download it but you're not allowed to distribute it to anyone else apart from yourself. Like, you download a drama, hard sub it and upload it onto a hosting site or a streamming sites. This will just put d-addicts at risk. I think this is it but if I'm wrong, please correct me anyone =]. :lol

User avatar
cutekid
Posts: 446
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:36 am
Location: philippines

Postby cutekid » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:21 pm

Aka Kelvin wrote:
Nicki123 wrote:this sucks big time. im new to the whole kdramas online thing. Does this mean that eventually people in America wont be able to download kdramas off the web??? god this soo sucks!!! i guess i can always go back to renting dramas at korean markets, which dont even have subs. I'll have to ask my mom to come over and translant every single word. did i mention that this sucks!!!????


I think you're allowed to download it but you're not allowed to distribute it to anyone else apart from yourself. Like, you download a drama, hard sub it and upload it onto a hosting site or a streamming sites. This will just put d-addicts at risk. I think this is it but if I'm wrong, please correct me anyone =]. :lol


hi! i think if a drama becomes licensed it becomes illegal to download it even if its for personal use since YAE has the license you must and only get the video from them no where else. as for subs its just ok to dl them. since the license they got is for the distribution. see the previous post for it...
Certified P.A.C.T.er(P.inoy A.ddicts C.ommunity T.oh)
http://cutenabata.multiply.com
Image

Ueda Jiro
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:50 am

Postby Ueda Jiro » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:39 pm

cutekid wrote:
Aka Kelvin wrote:
Nicki123 wrote:this sucks big time. im new to the whole kdramas online thing. Does this mean that eventually people in America wont be able to download kdramas off the web??? god this soo sucks!!! i guess i can always go back to renting dramas at korean markets, which dont even have subs. I'll have to ask my mom to come over and translant every single word. did i mention that this sucks!!!????


I think you're allowed to download it but you're not allowed to distribute it to anyone else apart from yourself. Like, you download a drama, hard sub it and upload it onto a hosting site or a streamming sites. This will just put d-addicts at risk. I think this is it but if I'm wrong, please correct me anyone =]. :lol


hi! i think if a drama becomes licensed it becomes illegal to download it even if its for personal use since YAE has the license you must and only get the video from them no where else. as for subs its just ok to dl them. since the license they got is for the distribution. see the previous post for it...

If you're in the US, that would be right. But if you're outside of US, technically speaking it is still illegal to download the dramas without permission from its producers, since they are the ones who own the drama first and foremost.

User avatar
cutekid
Posts: 446
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:36 am
Location: philippines

Postby cutekid » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:02 pm

i think i have to agree with Ueda Jiro . we must respect the owners of these licensed materials and buy the real thing. but for us people without access to YAE we must look for other ways to feed our craving for KDramas. just waitin for some of the best shows to be shown locally. though they are being dubbed in filipino and everything... i'm still thankful at least i can see them legally and for free. also there are other downloading site other than d-addicts. i still love d-addicts with or with out these dramas
Certified P.A.C.T.er(P.inoy A.ddicts C.ommunity T.oh)

http://cutenabata.multiply.com

Image

kdrama4life87
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:25 pm

Postby kdrama4life87 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:29 pm

omg i cant believe this is actually happening... :(..i love the dramas my favourite shows and now they are trying to take this away from us...this is sad real sad T_T.

User avatar
Chibi74
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:46 pm
Location: Motpellier (34)

Postby Chibi74 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:25 pm

Hi!

I'm a new french member and I have some problems to search series.

I don't know if I do it wrong or if these series aren't on the website but could you help me? Or tell me if there's another website on which I could find series too.

Thankx!

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 2465
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:34 am
Location: East Bay
Contact:

Postby aNToK » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:04 pm

Chibi74 wrote:Hi!

I'm a new french member and I have some problems to search series.

I don't know if I do it wrong or if these series aren't on the website but could you help me? Or tell me if there's another website on which I could find series too.

Thankx!


???? Do you know what topic you're in? Check the FAQ's.
I am not obsessed. I am just very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very focussed...

oiro16
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:20 pm

Postby oiro16 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:11 am

hmm...so will withS2 or any other subbing group get in trouble if they release subtitles on this site but not the videos?...meaning viewers will download from a clubbox but the subbers will only provide the subtitles and that's not violating any laws?

User avatar
haruhi-san
Posts: 216
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:27 am
Location: The Americas

Postby haruhi-san » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:22 am

Other licensed dramas, cant even have the video shown anywhere or links to it. The subtitles which are kinda the storyline, maybe they would have a problem. :goggle: Geez, I dont know.
ImageImage
Currently watching
: Moteki, Pro Golfer Hana, Tumbling, You''re Beautiful (korean) , Troubleman, & Hotaru No Hikari 2 . :wub:

StarCrystal
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:42 pm

Postby StarCrystal » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:06 am

Also, the channel stations are cracking down on Clubboxes too >_<

User avatar
altessa
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:41 am
Contact:

Postby altessa » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:46 am

Sigh, I depend on d-addicts to get high quality releases of some of the shows that I already own on VCD. I really appreciate the English subs as well! Although I can read Chinese subs perfectly fine, English is still a more comfortable language for me.

D-addicts is also a great place to get some dramas that I can't find on VCD. They're probably licensed but since they're not really popular I can't find them in shops easily. Otherwise, they are priced exorbitantly. :( It'll be a waste to see many of the Kdramas offered here taken off..

Daxiuyi
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:33 am

Postby Daxiuyi » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:35 pm

Well, personally I think YA and the TV stations are being blinded by their own self-interest. As someone who works in finance, what they are doing is perfectly rational. However in the process they are killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

As someone in Australia, what are my options now to obtain my k-dramas?

1. Buy the real thing online. Well, my only real option is to go to yesasia.com. A fine site, but I am not prepared to pay, say, ~A$120 (~US$95), for the DVD of "Fantasy Couple". End result? My interest in K-dramas will wane, and the Korean TV networks, and Korea itself, have just lost an audience.

2. Buy VCD's from Chinatown. Yes, they are cheaper, but the subtitles (in English) are so poor quality that I cannot follow what is going on (I tried these with Goong, even the bits spoken in English couldn't be subtitled correctly!). Again, I'm not going to put up with it.

3. Obtain online through more dubious means (I would suggest looking at the guides on www.slyck.com or the site www dot asianusenet dot com - don't want any dodgy filter system to pick it up now, don't we?). Without going into details, there are still plenty of other means through which the episodes can be distributed. And even if there weren't, some bright spark will create another, and another, and another. The lawyers can try what they like, in the long-run they'll always be playing catch-up. The US and Australian TV networks tried to browbeat everyone here out of using bitTorrent to watch their favourite US TV shows. Guess what? IT DIDN'T WORK and we Australians are still amongst the biggest bitTorrent users in the world!

What to do? Provide the soft subs (no copyright infringement there - it's original work), and the task of obtaining the episodes becomes the individual user's issue. They'll find a way, no doubt about it ;)

Yet another classic example of parties acting in their own best interest to the detriment of everyone else...

User avatar
groink
Posts: 3218
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:58 am
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Postby groink » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:47 pm

Daxiuyi wrote:Well, personally I think YA and the TV stations are being blinded by their own self-interest. As someone who works in finance, what they are doing is perfectly rational. However in the process they are killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

3. Obtain online through more dubious means. Without going into details, there are still plenty of other means through which the episodes can be distributed. And even if there weren't, some bright spark will create another, and another, and another. The lawyers can try what they like, in the long-run they'll always be playing catch-up. The US and Australian TV networks tried to browbeat everyone here out of using bitTorrent to watch their favourite US TV shows. Guess what? IT DIDN'T WORK and we Australians are still amongst the biggest bitTorrent users in the world!

What to do? Provide the soft subs (no copyright infringement there - it's original work), and the task of obtaining the episodes becomes the individual user's issue. They'll find a way, no doubt about it ;)

Yet another classic example of parties acting in their own best interest to the detriment of everyone else...


What you are basically saying is that in order for Korean dramas to STAY popular world-wide, you must allow for the episodes to be downloaded for free or dirt cheap. I don't see the logic in that whatsoever. You're probably under the impression that Korean dramas was all a huge conspiracy, where the evil TV companies lure you into K-dramas by "looking the other way" when it comes to fansubs. And then once you're addicted to the product, they pull it away from you and start charging for it. This works for drugs. It does not work for TV entertainment.

Okay, it is a fact that Korean dramas became popular because of the fansub effort. But, as others have indicated, fansubs are illegal in many areas of the world. You cannot then logically say that in order for Korean dramas to stay financially viable they must CONTINUE to look the other way and allow fansubs to flourish.

Several facts here... First, the Korean companies NEVER said publicly or in their actions that fansubs are okay. Since day one, they've been cracking down on bootlegs and downloads. They haven't done that great of a job at the effort, but still the effort is there. And, they never sat around and let the fansubs flood the world just to get everyone addicted. That's totally insane!

Second, Korean dramas are made for the Korean market. Even if they built a brick wall around South Korea and cut off all ties with the rest of the world, Korean dramas will continue to be profitable for the TV companies - just like Japanese dramas are successful in Japan. And at the same time, YA Entertainment will just switch to something else, such as Filipino dramas or Russian dramas.

And third, it has been documented on various web sites, including aminesuki.com, that the translated subtitles are in fact NOT original works, and therefore they're just as illegal as the RAWs. Just switching "good morning" with "ohayo gozaimasu" does not make the later an original work. If that was the case, translating a novel to another language and selling or giving away the translated work would be legal. There are dozens of cases where this idea was a no-go. The case of Fuji TV in 1998 is one of them.

You're letting your emotions interfere with your logical reasoning of the whole issue here. You said you're experienced in financial situations; I would hate to hear the advice you give to your clients.

--- groink
1. Always read FAQs for a given forum before posting.
2. Read the first few posts in a topic before posting.
3. Speak using complete English words.
4. The Internet is international. Respect regional and cultural values.

User avatar
JapanSuki
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 10:14 am
Location: Netherlands

Postby JapanSuki » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:13 am

I agree. And besides; $ 100 isn't all that expensive for a complete Kdrama Boxset consisting of 6-8 DVDs with sometimes a Translation Notes booklet or Promo Cards (in my Damo boxset and Kim Sam-Soon boxset).
That's about $12~15 per disc, which is actually quite cheap. These kind of boxsets easily cost $ 200+ in Japan.
Although it might be sour at first when a show gets licensed halfway through, it's nice to have a fancy boxset with very good subtitles. YA Entertainment's R1 subtitles are often ALOT better than the R3 SBS/MBC boxset dvds, although video quality can be better on the R3's. ^_^
Image

Daxiuyi
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:33 am

Postby Daxiuyi » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:28 am

groink wrote: What you are basically saying is that in order for Korean dramas to STAY popular world-wide, you must allow for the episodes to be downloaded for free or dirt cheap. I don't see the logic in that whatsoever. You're probably under the impression that Korean dramas was all a huge conspiracy, where the evil TV companies lure you into K-dramas by "looking the other way" when it comes to fansubs. And then once you're addicted to the product, they pull it away from you and start charging for it. This works for drugs. It does not work for TV entertainment.


No I'm not. What I am saying though is that the fact they have been freely available online has contributed to their popularity. No TV station in Australia is going to show them, nor are the DVD's available legally (Australia's R4 btw, so the only way to get DVD's bought online to play properly is to hack your DVD player), so there's no real choice.
groink wrote:And third, it has been documented on various web sites, including aminesuki.com, that the translated subtitles are in fact NOT original works, and therefore they're just as illegal as the RAWs. Just switching "good morning" with "ohayo gozaimasu" does not make the later an original work. If that was the case, translating a novel to another language and selling or giving away the translated work would be legal. There are dozens of cases where this idea was a no-go. The case of Fuji TV in 1998 is one of them.


Ok you've got me there. I was talking out of my depth, so I'll take that bit back.

While I admit I was stressed and have probably come across too strong before, my point is that the genie is out of the bottle now. Closing fansubs like this down under the threat of lawyers is a short-term step, but the technology is now very adaptable, and people will keep coming up with new ways to get around anything the lawyers may say. Look at www.slyck.com for other means of obtaining the RAWs - download using them at your own risk, but they ARE there.

As for the subs, I would suggest some sort of system similar to, say, the GPL in programming. Make them freely available, but if everything revealing the process of creation (similar to source code) is also disclosed, then some sort of agreement can be reached (imo anyway) with the TV networks.

You said you're experienced in financial situations; I would hate to hear the advice you give to your clients.


Nice cheap shot. Either take it back, or pm me to find out for yourself before saying something stupid like that.

letsallgetalong
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:44 am

Postby letsallgetalong » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:51 am

Daxiuyi wrote:so there's no real choice.
You can always get a cheap all region player. it's even cheaper than the actual drama series on dvd. Even yesasia.com sells it. and you can switch those between PAL and NTSC on the remote.
Look at www.slyck.com for other means of obtaining the RAWs - download using them at your own risk, but they ARE there.

but just because they are there, doesn't make it right.

sourgrape
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Australia

Postby sourgrape » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:16 am

as a fellow aussie i feel ur pain ....especially when the dramas u want arnt on the shelf at china town , or they dnt offer eng subs ( the cheap copies )

and i dnt mean to say that a good quality drama such as Goong isnt worth the 100 or so dollers but its sometimes kinda hard when u live on a budget .

its a shame to see those dramas get taken off especially mid download ..
:-(

bakatenchu
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:53 am

Postby bakatenchu » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:40 am

what an aoutregeous..they have collected a lot of dramas already..and heck the price is so damn autregeous too..too expensive for a drama....me better not but from them..the licher of all leechers...hate that though...so d-addicts better setup a shop than...sell them at half price would be generouys..hoho..luck...hmm im thinking to setup a secret underground commmunity..though..that keep on uploading the licensed ones..as im not from the america in the first place..and the laws wont work on me though..if server were setup out of america..
Last edited by bakatenchu on Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xi@h
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1032
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:27 am

Postby Xi@h » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:43 am

That's an issue where dwelling on wont change anything. Just go by it and pass on.

It has been decided that no licensed drama would be available here and you should abide to the new rule.

User avatar
cutekid
Posts: 446
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:36 am
Location: philippines

Postby cutekid » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:20 pm

sourgrape wrote:as a fellow aussie i feel ur pain ....especially when the dramas u want arnt on the shelf at china town , or they dnt offer eng subs ( the cheap copies )

and i dnt mean to say that a good quality drama such as Goong isnt worth the 100 or so dollers but its sometimes kinda hard when u live on a budget .

its a shame to see those dramas get taken off especially mid download ..
:-(


i agree with them. here in the philippines we don't have legal copies of kdramas. what is available are pirated/ bootlegged copies with really bad english subtittles. yesasia's dvds are quite expensive for me. it costs thousands of pesos so i can't afford it especially i'm earning minimum wage.

the good thing is kdramas are available on local tv. we can watch the really good ones but they are dubbed in the local language. its good because we can still watch them. still would be better if the tv stations would sell original DVDs of those series at a very low prices. i will definitely buy it if its reasonably priced. say around $10-20 a series. that's about PhP500-PhP1000.
Certified P.A.C.T.er(P.inoy A.ddicts C.ommunity T.oh)

http://cutenabata.multiply.com

Image

User avatar
Horizon
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:39 am
Location: London, England

Postby Horizon » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:53 pm

groink wrote:What you are basically saying is that in order for Korean dramas to STAY popular world-wide, you must allow for the episodes to be downloaded for free or dirt cheap. I don't see the logic in that whatsoever. You're probably under the impression that Korean dramas was all a huge conspiracy, where the evil TV companies lure you into K-dramas by "looking the other way" when it comes to fansubs. And then once you're addicted to the product, they pull it away from you and start charging for it. This works for drugs. It does not work for TV entertainment.

Okay, it is a fact that Korean dramas became popular because of the fansub effort. But, as others have indicated, fansubs are illegal in many areas of the world. You cannot then logically say that in order for Korean dramas to stay financially viable they must CONTINUE to look the other way and allow fansubs to flourish.

Several facts here... First, the Korean companies NEVER said publicly or in their actions that fansubs are okay. Since day one, they've been cracking down on bootlegs and downloads. They haven't done that great of a job at the effort, but still the effort is there. And, they never sat around and let the fansubs flood the world just to get everyone addicted. That's totally insane!

Second, Korean dramas are made for the Korean market. Even if they built a brick wall around South Korea and cut off all ties with the rest of the world, Korean dramas will continue to be profitable for the TV companies - just like Japanese dramas are successful in Japan. And at the same time, YA Entertainment will just switch to something else, such as Filipino dramas or Russian dramas.

And third, it has been documented on various web sites, including aminesuki.com, that the translated subtitles are in fact NOT original works, and therefore they're just as illegal as the RAWs. Just switching "good morning" with "ohayo gozaimasu" does not make the later an original work. If that was the case, translating a novel to another language and selling or giving away the translated work would be legal. There are dozens of cases where this idea was a no-go. The case of Fuji TV in 1998 is one of them.

You're letting your emotions interfere with your logical reasoning of the whole issue here. You said you're experienced in financial situations; I would hate to hear the advice you give to your clients.

--- groink


Bad Novel analogy. In that case the product being leveraged by the author is a written work. With drama the form of expression is a visual depiction. Giving, or even selling a tool to help people understand what is being said without intent to infringe (I.E aimed at people who have legitimate access to such content) could easily be argued to be within the law. I can't tell you who would win because I honestly have never heard of a case relevant to this situation. But there is nothing in copyright law which prohibits a supplemental work aimed to help legitimate viewers of such content maximise their enjoyment. Since the translations typically provided have no reference to who is saying what and any non-verbal actions I do believe it can be argued to be purely supplemental and worthless without access to the copyrighted work. Fortunately any license or agreement between two companies or organisations does not constitute a magical extension of copyright to protect their personal agreements.

Of course this applies to the translations and not to the video files which I believe your point was about.

I think it's perfectly fine and makes sense that D-Addicts would want to avoid any possible legal trouble. I strongly support this decision also as I don't think D-addicts can afford to pay for any law suits and I don't want D-addicts to go anywhere because of useless server hosts that bend over at request without even consulting you. But I just hope people don't misunderstand to think all translations warrant copyright infringement. There is plenty of room to fight if someone with a clear conscience, (I.e. hasn't been accidentally distributing hundreds of unauthorised copyrighted works) wanted to.

PS: I'd like to point out your misuse of the word stealing. In this case it's unauthorised copying. I know a lot of people like to redefine words because "that's their understanding of the word" but here in the real world instead of redefining a word you should just brush up on your English. I apologise for sounding a little rude and I don't mean to sound disrespectful, it's just that I'm tired of people stating misnomers like fact and people just accepting it.
Image
Attached to the footprints in spring, to the Japanese song she taught me,
vaguely, I was influenced by her happiness.

letsallgetalong
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:44 am

Postby letsallgetalong » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:56 am

Horizon wrote:
Bad Novel analogy. In that case the product being leveraged by the author is a written work. With drama the form of expression is a visual depiction. Giving, or even selling a tool to help people understand what is being said without intent to infringe (I.E aimed at people who have legitimate access to such content) could easily be argued to be within the law. I can't tell you who would win because I honestly have never heard of a case relevant to this situation. But there is nothing in copyright law which prohibits a supplemental work aimed to help legitimate viewers of such content maximise their enjoyment. Since the translations typically provided have no reference to who is saying what and any non-verbal actions I do believe it can be argued to be purely supplemental and worthless without access to the copyrighted work. Fortunately any license or agreement between two companies or organisations does not constitute a magical extension of copyright to protect their personal agreements.


I think his point makes sense. Because the subs themselves are not a representation of "visual depiction". It's a direct translation of the transcript of the drama which is a copyright in itself. If it's about visual depiction, then there isn't any need to translate it because you will get the meaning just by watching it. The transcript itself is considered literary work. There is no way of bypassing that or trying to reword it into something that it's not.

User avatar
Horizon
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:39 am
Location: London, England

Postby Horizon » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:44 am

letsallgetalong wrote:I think his point makes sense. Because the subs themselves are not a representation of "visual depiction". It's a direct translation of the transcript of the drama which is a copyright in itself. If it's about visual depiction, then there isn't any need to translate it because you will get the meaning just by watching it. The transcript itself is considered literary work. There is no way of bypassing that or trying to reword it into something that it's not.


You're arguing on a purely perceived technicality...there is no point in arguing the letter so vehemently when the spirit and intent of the law is just as important in a court (with any decent judge). It is not a transcript of events visual or audial ( in the sense that you're using it). It is useless on its own. Legitimate viewers of such content giving other non-Korean speaking viewers a piece of paper to help them understand the Korean language which is being used on screen can easily be argued to be within the non-Korean speaking user's fair use and from there the original Korean speaking user's actions could be argued to be outside the scope and intent of copyright, seeing that there's no way you can argue that my friend sitting next to me can't verbally translate it to me or extend that to him writing it on paper. I think it's also important to remember the intent of the law (copyright). A good lawyer would have more than enough room to wriggle. I spoke to a lawyer I know and he says it's definitely not so cut-and-dry.
Image

Attached to the footprints in spring, to the Japanese song she taught me,

vaguely, I was influenced by her happiness.

letsallgetalong
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:44 am

Postby letsallgetalong » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:30 pm

Horizon wrote:You're arguing on a purely perceived technicality...there is no point in arguing the letter so vehemently when the spirit and intent of the law is just as important in a court (with any decent judge). It is not a transcript of events visual or audial ( in the sense that you're using it). It is useless on its own. Legitimate viewers of such content giving other non-Korean speaking viewers a piece of paper to help them understand the Korean language which is being used on screen can easily be argued to be within the non-Korean speaking user's fair use and from there the original Korean speaking user's actions could be argued to be outside the scope and intent of copyright, seeing that there's no way you can argue that my friend sitting next to me can't verbally translate it to me or extend that to him writing it on paper. I think it's also important to remember the intent of the law (copyright). A good lawyer would have more than enough room to wriggle. I spoke to a lawyer I know and he says it's definitely not so cut-and-dry.


Ask your lawyer about a law ordinance that was passed as of March 6,2007. A transcript is a transcript. It's a written copyrighted material. Audio is also a copyrighted IP just look at that whole hyori/britney fiasco. you can't argue in court saying 1+1 does not equal 2. the jury would just laugh at you. so you can't say that "annyoung" does not mean "hi". It is in the transcript, A WRITTEN DOCUMENT. same goes for audio books. if the content is similar 75% or more you won't even make it to trial, the judge will just throw your apeal and laugh at your case.. be it official or unofficial, a copyright is a copyright. and it's up to whoever holds that copyright to use it as they choose to. They can enforce to protect that copyright or not. The new laws are written pretty specificly to what the stature of limitation is. You can't p***y foot it anymore.

The difference between our arguement/debate is that you failed to acknowledge that the subs themselves are considered as a document. If your friend is giving you the translation verbally there is no proof that a breach in their copyright was made. Subs are written, so there is proof that their copyright has been "misused" (according to their term). The issue itself is that the subs themselves will be used as evidence. If your friend wrote down the translation and gave it to you, if the copyright holder gets a hold of it, that piece of paper can be used to sue your friend. If they really wanted to(or if they are just petty to the extreme), they can even tabulize a puntive collateral to the damage that incurred to their potential gain if you bought their dvd instead. Imagine if there were thousands of that piece of paper your friend wrote down, that would escalate to a multitude of $$$ being sued for compensation.

same reason why youtube will delete copyrighted materials, if it is flagged. even with google's money and their harem of lawyers, they can't do anything. all they can do is show that they are trying to do something to alleviate the problem so the companies that hold the copyright stay smiling and not pursue any legal action to sue them for punitive damages.

User avatar
Horizon
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:39 am
Location: London, England

Postby Horizon » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:49 pm

letsallgetalong wrote:Ask your lawyer about a law ordinance that was passed as of March 6,2007

In what country?
letsallgetalong wrote: A transcript is a transcript. It's a written copyrighted material.

I know a transcript is a transcript, that's why it's called a transcript. What I said is it's a fuzzy definition in some respects. Technically a simple quote is a "transcript". And you can't claim copyright on a "material", only a work.
letsallgetalong wrote:Audio is also a copyrighted IP just look at that whole hyori/britney fiasco. you can't argue in court saying 1+1 does not equal 2. the jury would just laugh at you. so you can't say that "annyoung" does not mean "hi". It is in the transcript, A WRITTEN DOCUMENT. same goes for audio books.

Straw man much?
letsallgetalong wrote:if the content is similar 75% or more you won't even make it to trial, the judge will just throw your apeal and laugh at your case.
refer to the last comment.
letsallgetalong wrote:be it official or unofficial, a copyright is a copyright. and it's up to whoever holds that copyright to use it as they choose to. They can enforce to protect that copyright or not. The new laws are written pretty specificly to what the stature of limitation is. You can't p***y foot it anymore.
You obviously either didn't read what I said or are purposely being deceitful as this clearly wasn't the argument I made. And from what you just said I guess you also believe that record labels should be able to outlaw format shifting and charge you again for the same thing because somehow you think "it's their stuff and they can do what they want". Well yes they can. And freedom goes both ways...I can do whatever the hell I want as well. But that right was wilfully given up for a limited amount of time to reward creators of such creative works a limited monopoly and to encourage them to carry on creating. See that word I used twice? limited. A very important part of copyright law which seems to have been smudged and defaced by the current useless generation. They seem to have twisted copyright law from being a reward or incentive to serving some stupid image they have of fairness.

letsallgetalong wrote:The difference between our arguement/debate is that you failed to acknowledge that the subs themselves are considered as a document. If your friend is giving you the translation verbally there is no proof that a breach in their copyright was made. Subs are written, so there is proof that their copyright has been "misused" (according to their term). The issue itself is that the subs themselves will be used as evidence. If your friend wrote down the translation and gave it to you, if the copyright holder gets a hold of it, that piece of paper can be used to sue your friend.

You really have a stupid idea of copyright. I'm sorry but I can't find any more constructive ways to describe it. This really explains the rest of your statement. The fact that you think someone could sue you AND WIN for such a thing when you both obviously bought the author's work is bizarre.

letsallgetalong wrote:If they really wanted to(or if they are just petty to the extreme), they can even tabulize a puntive collateral to the damage that incurred to their potential gain if you bought their dvd instead. Imagine if there were thousands of that piece of paper your friend wrote down, that would escalate to a multitude of $$$ being sued for compensation.
erm...I though we were arguing about text and not images. Please make your mind up on what you are arguing about. And punitive damages could in no way ever be applied in such a way. Please read up on your law. Although I have no idea of what country you're in.


letsallgetalong wrote:same reason why youtube will delete copyrighted materials, if it is flagged. even with google's money and their harem of lawyers, they can't do anything. all they can do is show that they are trying to do something to alleviate the problem so the companies that hold the copyright stay smiling and not pursue any legal action to sue them for punitive damages.
I know the situation with Youtube very well. But really, this is obviously another straw man. It's almost as if you haven't even read what I wrote as you start off sounding loosely based on what I said and then after the first couple of lines promptly went off into your own little world.

You may feel like I haven't answered anything in your post. But that's because it's all based on fallacy and analogies so far removed from what I wrote that I am having a hard time believing that you were actually arguing with me and not just ranting at your perceived opposing opinions.
Image

Attached to the footprints in spring, to the Japanese song she taught me,

vaguely, I was influenced by her happiness.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1290
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:15 pm

Postby pokute » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:24 pm

There's a google ad appearing at the bottom of this thread right now for kimook.com, a company that sells pirated drama dvd's!!

bakatenchu
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:53 am

Postby bakatenchu » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:28 am

Xi@h wrote:That's an issue where dwelling on wont change anything. Just go by it and pass on.

It has been decided that no licensed drama would be available here and you should abide to the new rule.


ok me got it..but sometimes laws can be twisted a little for our advantage..as i said before laws of a country wont work in other countries, so lets the unfinished to be finished is not something of a bad idea i think..

User avatar
cutekid
Posts: 446
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:36 am
Location: philippines

Postby cutekid » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:37 am

pokute wrote:There's a google ad appearing at the bottom of this thread right now for kimook.com, a company that sells pirated drama dvd's!!


where is it? i don't see it anywhere? anyways do they deliver to the philippines? YA dvds are soooo expensive for me!
Certified P.A.C.T.er(P.inoy A.ddicts C.ommunity T.oh)

http://cutenabata.multiply.com

Image

User avatar
Horizon
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:39 am
Location: London, England

Postby Horizon » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:47 pm

cutekid wrote:
pokute wrote:There's a google ad appearing at the bottom of this thread right now for kimook.com, a company that sells pirated drama dvd's!!


where is it? i don't see it anywhere? anyways do they deliver to the philippines? YA dvds are soooo expensive for me!
bad cutekid!
Image

Attached to the footprints in spring, to the Japanese song she taught me,

vaguely, I was influenced by her happiness.

letsallgetalong
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:44 am

Postby letsallgetalong » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:00 pm

This will be my last entry to respond.

Horizon wrote:In what country?

It was an international agreement

Horizon wrote:I know a transcript is a transcript, that's why it's called a transcript. What I said is it's a fuzzy definition in some respects. Technically a simple quote is a "transcript". And you can't claim copyright on a "material", only a work

Straw man much?

refer to the last comment.



I had to keep on reiterating coz you don't get it at all
and a "quote" can be copyrighted. just like nike's "just do it"
it's also the same reason why when you quote something and use it for a paper, project or report, you have to add where you got it in the bibliography.
so you won't be in total liability.
Horizon wrote:You obviously either didn't read what I said or are purposely being deceitful as this clearly wasn't the argument I made. And from what you just said I guess you also believe that record labels should be able to outlaw format shifting and charge you again for the same thing because somehow you think "it's their stuff and they can do what they want". Well yes they can. And freedom goes both ways...I can do whatever the hell I want as well. But that right was wilfully given up for a limited amount of time to reward creators of such creative works a limited monopoly and to encourage them to carry on creating. See that word I used twice? limited. A very important part of copyright law which seems to have been smudged and defaced by the current useless generation. They seem to have twisted copyright law from being a reward or incentive to serving some stupid image they have of fairness.

That's what you don't get it's not so fuzzy anymore.
And there is a limitation to freedom.
Your right is limited to the confines of the law. (you can't step over another entity's right.)
for example, you can't just randomly punch people just because you feel like it.
same with speech, you can't just say whatever you want.
you can be sued for defamation of character and slander.


The fact is, if you don't own the copyright of the material, you don't have a say in the matter because it's not yours!
on a side note, record labels extend the ownership of the copyright to people that actually bought the material(cd/tape/whatever). The consumers that bought it have the right to modify it to a certain extent. If you just leached it of the web, you don't own the copyright so you can't legally modify it. Mind you that it doesn't stop people from doing that.

privilege doesn't equal rights
just because you had that privilege of doing what you want before doesn't mean it is your god-given right (yes I am repeating it over and over so you get it :) )
a privilege can be revoked anytime.
Horizon wrote:You really have a stupid idea of copyright. I'm sorry but I can't find any more constructive ways to describe it. This really explains the rest of your statement. The fact that you think someone could sue you AND WIN for such a thing when you both obviously bought the author's work is bizarre.

Same thing can be said about you.

Getting something translated doesn't give you the right either. It still goes to the original author for wrote it. EVEN IF IT'S IN A DIFFERENT LANGUAGE.

You might think it's bizarre but people have claimed more ridiculous things in court and won.

Horizon wrote:erm...I though we were arguing about text and not images. Please make your mind up on what you are arguing about. And punitive damages could in no way ever be applied in such a way. Please read up on your law. Although I have no idea of what country you're in.


ok that one i goofed on when i was typing, my thoughts got ahead of my typing. I didn't emphasize the degrees of liability. subs are on the third degree of liability. so they can charge a percentage of the potential sale of the DVD just for providing the subs itself. I live in the US but was orginally from UK.

User avatar
cutekid
Posts: 446
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:36 am
Location: philippines

Postby cutekid » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:51 pm

Horizon wrote:
cutekid wrote:
pokute wrote:There's a google ad appearing at the bottom of this thread right now for kimook.com, a company that sells pirated drama dvd's!!


where is it? i don't see it anywhere? anyways do they deliver to the philippines? YA dvds are soooo expensive for me!
bad cutekid!


joke only. :D i know piracy is bad. what can i do no place to get legal/ original copies of kdramas in our country. all/most of the copies that i see are pirated. there is no licensed material to be found here. what to do? YA is too expensive. i want to support the original materials too. :scratch:
Certified P.A.C.T.er(P.inoy A.ddicts C.ommunity T.oh)

http://cutenabata.multiply.com

Image

User avatar
Horizon
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:39 am
Location: London, England

Postby Horizon » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:08 am

letsallgetalong wrote:I had to keep on reiterating coz you don't get it at all
and a "quote" can be copyrighted. just like nike's "just do it"
it's also the same reason why when you quote something and use it for a paper, project or report, you have to add where you got it in the bibliography.
so you won't be in total liability.
Please PLEASE understand the difference between a trademark and copyright. "Just do it" is a trademark. Making an error like this pretty much makes the rest of your argument doubtful.
letsallgetalong wrote:That's what you don't get it's not so fuzzy anymore.
And there is a limitation to freedom.
Your right is limited to the confines of the law. (you can't step over another entity's right.)
for example, you can't just randomly punch people just because you feel like it.
same with speech, you can't just say whatever you want.
you can be sued for defamation of character and slander.

Without providing a link or reasoning which relevantly connects your analogies/examples with the topic you are talking about they're pretty much redundant.

letsallgetalong wrote:The fact is, if you don't own the copyright of the material, you don't have a say in the matter because it's not yours!
on a side note, record labels extend the ownership of the copyright to people that actually bought the material(cd/tape/whatever). The consumers that bought it have the right to modify it to a certain extent. If you just leached it of the web, you don't own the copyright so you can't legally modify it. Mind you that it doesn't stop people from doing that.

privilege doesn't equal rights
just because you had that privilege of doing what you want before doesn't mean it is your god-given right (yes I am repeating it over and over so you get it Smile )
a privilege can be revoked anytime.

Your skills of discussion are pretty incoherent to me. You state irrelevant information of questionable origin and reason. You in no way attempt to link them to the current discussion, and then expect a response. And, you state obvious fact which has in no way been questioned, in these irrelevant outbursts almost in a straw man like fashion although you don't seem to mean it.

letsallgetalong wrote:Getting something translated doesn't give you the right either. It still goes to the original author for wrote it. EVEN IF IT'S IN A DIFFERENT LANGUAGE.

You might think it's bizarre but people have claimed more ridiculous things in court and won.
I addressed this in my first [second] post when I suggested fair use to trump copyright in my proposed situation between two consumers of the content bought from a legitimate distributor. Seriously did you even read it? this isn't even like a discussion.


letsallgetalong wrote:ok that one i goofed on when i was typing, my thoughts got ahead of my typing. I didn't emphasize the degrees of liability. subs are on the third degree of liability. so they can charge a percentage of the potential sale of the DVD just for providing the subs itself. I live in the US but was orginally from UK.
Punitive damages still cannot be sought in such a situation. There are more conditions that need to be met than you suggest. D-addicts would not meet these conditions in a normal situation. Any application of punitive damages in such a way would be either from extremely bad luck (bad judge) or plain misuse of the law...or both.
Last edited by Horizon on Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Attached to the footprints in spring, to the Japanese song she taught me,

vaguely, I was influenced by her happiness.

Liantasse
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:19 am
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Postby Liantasse » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:31 am

letsallgetalong wrote:If your friend wrote down the translation and gave it to you, if the copyright holder gets a hold of it, that piece of paper can be used to sue your friend.


Oh dear, oh dear, imagine how much money could be made out of confiscating pieces of paper from students' homework notebooks in any foreign languages school XD

As a former student of "Translation Studies" in college, just couldn't help saying it. :lol Sorry for not being more relevant to the discussion, I'll be out of here now :-)

mystes
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:22 am

Postby mystes » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:40 am

Horizon wrote:You're arguing on a purely perceived technicality...there is no point in arguing the letter so vehemently when the spirit and intent of the law is just as important in a court (with any decent judge). It is not a transcript of events visual or audial ( in the sense that you're using it). It is useless on its own.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that the fact that the subtitles are useless on their own automatically makes them a derivative work and therefore clear-cut copyright infringement. However, I doubt any company is going to demand that they be taken down unless you were trying to sell them or something.

It really amazes me how many people on this forum really feel that they are somehow entitled to download dramas for free off the internet. It's one thing if there's no legal way to obtain them, but it's not like it's some kind of right. On the other hand, while I like to support the production of the American tv shows that I watch by buying dvds legally, I must admit that I understand groink's feelings about the licensing of dramas in the first place. Despite the many posters' shock at the fact that yaentertainment dares to charge money for dramas, I have no reason to doubt that they are motivated out of a sincere desire to introduce North America to a medium they themselves are fans of. And yet, the thought of future dramas being produced with the consideration of American viewers fills me with some trepidation. In the similar case of anime, it is clear that there has been some effect. Therefore, I am conflicted between my wish for more people to appreciate korean dramas (and my more far-fetched hope that korean historical dramas could have some influence on US productions) and my desire for the companies producing these dramas not to know or care that people in other countries are watching them.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest