Licensed Dramas To Be Removed

News, Updates and Information about this site.
This section is important, please read it for changes about the site!
Rosebud

Postby Rosebud » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:38 pm

I'm glad to know that some of you think that this company does good translations. But we need to get them to give us the high definition and wide screen that was in the original releases. There is a lot cut off if you crop it to a normal TV. Most of us are going to High Definition and wide screen.

Write them and tell them that you aren't going to buy unless they give you what you want. The Korean book store HanBooks that I use on the net has these at reasonable prices 60-70. I just looked up a couple of them. Their customer relations people are really nice too and they don't charge you from a foreign country they are Korean but in the United States. I've emailed them about several items. I notice that they had started to release these a couple of months ago. I almost bought Goong until I noticed that it wasn't wide screen. Now I know what company to complain to.

nikochanr3

Postby nikochanr3 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:45 pm

yamcha wrote:If you think about it, it's a good thing. Getting rid of those Korean dramas is like getting rid of all the Hyundais off the road. It is an inferior product compared to a Honda or Toyota. And the thought of buying Koreans dramas for $100 each? HAHAHA! Would you pay 100k or 200k for a Hyundai or a KIA?

:lol my hyundai is kick ass, looks beautiful ( such a deep dark blue color ) and has a ten year warranty that i may never have to use, if the other two i used which are 7 and 5 years old respectively and never needed service.

korean things are not inferior, what is wrong with you? :lol
Please visit my homepage! :w00t: [url=http://nikochanr3.blogspot.com/[/url]

AIM me at Nikochanr3 if you like. I''''m bored.

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby WroW » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:57 pm

nikochanr3 wrote:
yamcha wrote:If you think about it, it's a good thing. Getting rid of those Korean dramas is like getting rid of all the Hyundais off the road. It is an inferior product compared to a Honda or Toyota. And the thought of buying Koreans dramas for $100 each? HAHAHA! Would you pay 100k or 200k for a Hyundai or a KIA?

:lol my hyundai is kick ass, looks beautiful ( such a deep dark blue color ) and has a ten year warranty that i may never have to use, if the other two i used which are 7 and 5 years old respectively and never needed service.

korean things are not inferior, what is wrong with you? :lol

Haha and if we start comparing dramas with cars than we all would have to watch german dramas. But believe me no one wants to see german dramas :mrgreen:

divid

Postby divid » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:00 pm

This is so unfair...
Yes, for Americans, you can buy, you can rent, whichever... But what about people who DO not live in the US or North America? The prices are catastrophic. There are already 3 dramas in the licensed list that I'm currently watching. If, let's say, one box costs 100$ (!) and I convert it into my country's currency, the price almost triples. I would have to save my allowance money (and not eat) for like 6 months to get one drama. Totally unreasonable. And I thought this was a worldwide community...
Of course, there's always clubbox. BUT. There's so much stuff that I'm already downloading with CB, adding dramas would be too much. Plus, older dramas take forever to download (I've been downloading my Loveholic ep. 2 for almost a week now with no progress), also most clubboxes are being locked nowadays.
Anyways, I'm not blaming anyone here on D-Addicts, I understand your position, just wanted to say how sad this is for me, and I'm sure, for many other people.
And sorry, if this sounded offending in any way.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby pokute » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:20 pm

Since I really have my doubts about YAE's ability to deliver good product I'm not spending my pennies with them until I hear details about specific releases. I did however just drop a fair bit of change at the KBS online store, and I will be reviewing the dvd's for quality IN THE DRAMA WIKI when they come. Anyone that buys YAE dvd's should do the same... In YAE's case you can ALSO post your reviews at YesAsia, since they are very democratic and let you ream their products in your reviews without censorship. YAE aren't 100% bottom-feeders, and they can probably be influenced by aggressive reviewing. (EROS Entertainment International is another story... But this isn't a Bollywood forum).

So, people who CAN afford to buy dvd's, make your money work by pointing out the shortcomings of your purchases in a public forum!

The whining in this thread is getting a little embarrassing. I don't think anybody really believes that it will now become impossible, or even difficult to download drama eps. It's just that SOME dramas will not be represented on the D-Addicts tracker. I'm sure YAE are looking at this thread and saying "What a bunch of spoiled little kids!".

I have an anecdote about Korean autos, BTW: I have two friends who work 70 miles from home, and therefore drive 280 miles (between the two of them) each and every day. They have owned a LOT of different cars over the years. So far, the car that has held up the longest, keeping it's driveability and not requiring excessive maintenance, was a black Hyundai Tiburon that they retired at 300,000 miles, and it was still perfectly driveable. Right now they are both driving Prius's (which are holding up quite well... I need to ask them how many miles they're up to!).

rico2001
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby rico2001 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:25 pm

Thanks Ruroshin, for the heads up on the situation. :salut:
SARS-Fansubs Radio
IRC Channel: #SARS-Fansubs on irc.rizon.net

mango_twist

Postby mango_twist » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:15 pm

sniff this is so sad, i saw Jumong at a local chanel here in the Philippines. I loved Dae Jang Geum but I have to say I was instantly hooked on Jumong. The only problem I have is there are no english subbed episodes anywhere :cry: I'm on college, my allowance are carefully budgeted for school costs, Jumong is shown very late here. A lot of times I'm reviewing my lessons or already asleep when Jumong is shown. Buying a DVD copy is out of the question for me. Please, pm me if you can help me with it. :-(
edit: we have a hyundai starex, and our family loves it. :P

cookiesncream

Postby cookiesncream » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:17 pm

i can't believe this is happening!!! :O now i have to learn to use clubbox!!!..........
oh well.....shouldnt be that hard to figure out

mango_twist

Postby mango_twist » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:30 pm

what is clubbox?

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby pokute » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:29 pm

mango_twist wrote:what is clubbox?

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_14132.htm

sabriyahm

Postby sabriyahm » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:31 pm

pokute wrote:Since I really have my doubts about YAE's ability to deliver good product I'm not spending my pennies with them until I hear details about specific releases. I did however just drop a fair bit of change at the KBS online store, and I will be reviewing the dvd's for quality IN THE DRAMA WIKI when they come. Anyone that buys YAE dvd's should do the same... In YAE's case you can ALSO post your reviews at YesAsia, since they are very democratic and let you ream their products in your reviews without censorship. YAE aren't 100% bottom-feeders, and they can probably be influenced by aggressive reviewing. (EROS Entertainment International is another story... But this isn't a Bollywood forum).

So, people who CAN afford to buy dvd's, make your money work by pointing out the shortcomings of your purchases in a public forum!

The whining in this thread is getting a little embarrassing. I don't think anybody really believes that it will now become impossible, or even difficult to download drama eps. It's just that SOME dramas will not be represented on the D-Addicts tracker. I'm sure YAE are looking at this thread and saying "What a bunch of spoiled little kids!".

I completely agree with you about both the embarassing level of whining (Where people got the idea that everything they like should be free I have no idea) and about reviewing the releases by those who can afford to buy or rent. I hope people do this. I am one of those people who has no real problem with purchasing but I have been royally burned buying some horribly translated versions. I wish there was some sort of standardized form though because different people have different concerns. For instance I dont have a widescreen TV so Goong not being in 16:9 did not bother me at all. I give their version an A where as some people refuse to buy it because of this. This may be too much but just like every drama has a subtitle thread and a discussion thread maybe once something is licensed it should also get a quality thread where people can post what version they have and it's quality. I think everyone reviewing the product on the Wiki might be too cumbersome and not really what the Wiki is for anyway. Just an idea if you are listening Ruroshin. As a matter of fact I think I might go make that suggestion in the suggestion thread.

mango_twist

Postby mango_twist » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:32 pm

thanks pokute sorry for the 8,000,000 th question about clubbox from a noob like me.

peace :)

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby pokute » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:49 pm

sabriyahm wrote:
pokute wrote:Since I really have my doubts about YAE's ability to deliver good product I'm not spending my pennies with them until I hear details about specific releases. I did however just drop a fair bit of change at the KBS online store, and I will be reviewing the dvd's for quality IN THE DRAMA WIKI when they come. Anyone that buys YAE dvd's should do the same... In YAE's case you can ALSO post your reviews at YesAsia, since they are very democratic and let you ream their products in your reviews without censorship. YAE aren't 100% bottom-feeders, and they can probably be influenced by aggressive reviewing. (EROS Entertainment International is another story... But this isn't a Bollywood forum).

I completely agree with you about both the embarassing level of whining (Where people got the idea that everything they like should be free I have no idea) and about reviewing the releases by those who can afford to buy or rent. I hope people do this. I am one of those people who has no real problem with purchasing but I have been royally burned buying some horribly translated versions. I wish there was some sort of standardized form though because different people have different concerns. For instance I dont have a widescreen TV so Goong not being in 16:9 did not bother me at all. I give their version an A where as some people refuse to buy it because of this. This may be too much but just like every drama has a subtitle thread and a discussion thread maybe once something is licensed it should also get a quality thread where people can post what version they have and it's quality. I think everyone reviewing the product on the Wiki might be too cumbersome and not really what the Wiki is for anyway. Just an idea if you are listening Ruroshin. As a matter of fact I think I might go make that suggestion in the suggestion thread.

Maybe. But I don't think a lot of people are going to post reviews. Since it's a wiki, there can be a single review that is updated incrementally, with inaccurate or repetitious content edited out. I was inspired to make the suggestion by the dvd evaluations that are being included in the wikipedia entries for movies. I think the information is of considerable value.

sabriyahm

Postby sabriyahm » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:56 pm

pokute wrote:
sabriyahm wrote:

Maybe. But I don't think a lot of people are going to post reviews. Since it's a wiki, there can be a single review that is updated incrementally, with inaccurate or repetitious content edited out. I was inspired to make the suggestion by the dvd evaluations that are being included in the wikipedia entries for movies. I think the information is of considerable value.

I dont think a lot of people will post reviews either but I thought a thread would be eiasier to keep up with. A review in the wiki is fine but I think posting a comment is a lot easier for most people. A quick line to say subs are good and video quality is eisier then editing the wiki. I could be horribly biased though as I myself have never even figured out how to edit in the wiki. Plus it eliminates the need for someone to come along and edit stuff later.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby pokute » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:18 pm

Aw, it's trivial to edit the wiki. Wiki was made to be as easy as possible.

Amalina

Postby Amalina » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:30 pm

I don't live in the US or Canada that's why I'll keep getting my raw files from clubbox or or any other method.
But what about the softsubs? are the fansubbers going to continue fansubbing our beloved KDramas? :cry:
I hope so...
and as the Admin himself stated, it's not illegal to softsub as it's merely personal creation :mrgreen:

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ruroshin » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:38 pm

pokute wrote:Aw, it's trivial to edit the wiki. Wiki was made to be as easy as possible.

why not do both. Post the review on the wiki then create a thread on the forum with either a link to the wiki or repost the review and let people discuss about it.

pokute if you'ore gonna be actively doing it I can make you a moderator of the new subforum.

glace

Postby glace » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:42 pm

D-addict can backup the torrent file into chinese website, their copyright law is softer. So we can still find it on chinese btsearch like btchina, or even torrent spy. In this case there won't be any law infrigement by d-addict. China isn't very stric about this.

glace

Postby glace » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:46 pm

One more question, were is based d'addict server, in wich country is it registred. eg. I'm am thinking about the Baidu lawsuit.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby pokute » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:53 pm

Ruroshin wrote:
pokute wrote:Aw, it's trivial to edit the wiki. Wiki was made to be as easy as possible.

why not do both. Post the review on the wiki then create a thread on the forum with either a link to the wiki or repost the review and let people discuss about it.

pokute if you'ore gonna be actively doing it I can make you a moderator of the new subforum.

Making me a moderator is like giving your car keys to a 12 year old crack addict. But, it's your car. I promise to serve with great dedication and an iron will, to make my subforum a thing of pride and beauty, and to submit to no bribery short of a complete set of the briber's entire catalog!

To celebrate my elevation, I'm buying a round of Ad Exec Liver Skewers for everyone here on D-Addicts! Meet me at the BBQ behind the presidential palace in Pyongyang tonight at 7 if you intend to partake!

All you Dorama licensers out there, PM me for my shipping address without delay. Get those dvd's in the mail ASAP! First come, first served!

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby pokute » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:27 pm

Damn. I made that offer 33 minutes ago and nobody from YAE has PM'ed me yet. It's 2:30 here in California, they can't still be at lunch or have gone home yet, could they?

They can't say their network is down:

[root@somebox html]# traceroute www.yaentertainment.com
traceroute to www.yaentertainment.com (61.14.129.213), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
1 svrrm2810 (NNN.NNN.115.252) 0.260 ms 0.232 ms 0.216 ms
2 NNN.NNN.5.117 (NNN.NNN.5.117) 0.312 ms 0.404 ms 0.480 ms
3 SFL-border.ilan.foobar.edu (NNN.NNN.254.252) 0.332 ms 0.384 ms 0.448 ms
4 lax-xxx--losnettos-dc.cenic.net (NNN.NNN.23.225) 0.858 ms 0.853 ms 0.764 ms
5 Gi5-2.gw1.lax1.asianetcom.net (206.223.123.82) 0.916 ms 1.536 ms 1.610 ms
6 po0-0.cr1.nrt1.asianetcom.net (202.147.61.130) 125.013 ms 125.775 ms 124.994 ms
7 ge-0-1-0.csgw1.nrt5.asianetcom.net (202.147.0.174) 171.652 ms 174.080 ms 171.626 ms
8 po15-0.gw2.hkg3.asianetcom.net (202.147.16.210) 171.605 ms 171.844 ms 173.167 ms
9 yesasia.com (202.147.17.195) 181.928 ms 185.427 ms 178.592 ms
10 * *

Look at that, YAE's web server is in YesAsia's subdomain.
Last edited by pokute on Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Annessa

Postby Annessa » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:28 pm

^ reviews would be awesome and very helpful!

pokute, i am very curious about the KBS America dvd sets, so i'm looking forward to what you have to say about them. when the e-store first opened in the fall of '05, many customers were disappointed that the newer releases were NOT the same as the Korean releases published by Bitwin. for example...Bitwin's version of Resurrection was director's cut, meaning longer episodes, and extra features were included. KBS America charged nearly the same prices, but gave nothing extra. even the packaging was poor. each disc was in it's own case, but very cheaply made, and altogether placed in a flimsy cardboard box.

i'm hoping they made some changes to satisfy the many customers that called or wrote to complain. but since then, i have resorted to purchasing KBS dramas from online retailers located in Korea.

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Postby gryzze » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:32 pm

Ruroshin wrote:

pokute a moderator... now that will be interesting... :-)

I'm not sure adding the reviews to DramaWiki is such a good idea though because it wouldn't really be any info about the drama itself. There are other stuff that are more relevant that we still don't allow.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ruroshin » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:40 pm

gryzze wrote:
Ruroshin wrote:

pokute a moderator... now that will be interesting... :-)

I'm not sure adding the reviews to DramaWiki is such a good idea though because it wouldn't really be any info about the drama itself. There are other stuff that are more relevant that we still don't allow.

yeah probably. Don't worry groink will probably delete them anyway :P

sabriyahm

Postby sabriyahm » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:50 pm

pokute wrote:
Ruroshin wrote:

Making me a moderator is like giving your car keys to a 12 year old crack addict. But, it's your car. I promise to serve with great dedication and an iron will, to make my subforum a thing of pride and beauty, and to submit to no bribery short of a complete set of the briber's entire catalog!

To celebrate my elevation, I'm buying a round of Ad Exec Liver Skewers for everyone here on D-Addicts! Meet me at the BBQ behind the presidential palace in Pyongyang tonight at 7 if you intend to partake!

All you Dorama licensers out there, PM me for my shipping address without delay. Get those dvd's in the mail ASAP! First come, first served!

LMAO!!!

I think I will get the ball rolling. I figured out how to edit the Wiki (I figured if I can reencode video I can edit the dang Wiki) I have posted my first review of Goong. Feel free to edit (or delete 8) it accordingly.
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Goong#Reviews

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ruroshin » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:55 pm

sabriyahm wrote:I think I will get the ball rolling. I figured out how to edit the Wiki (I figured if I can reencode video I can edit the dang Wiki) I have posted my first review of Goong. Feel free to edit (or delete 8) it accordingly.

no i think you are better off posting the review in the new KDrama on DVD subforum and providing a link in the wiki entry.

sabriyahm

Postby sabriyahm » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:56 pm

gryzze wrote:

Yeah I think so too. I say we just have threads. Darn and after I took 5 minutes and learned to edit the Wiki. Oh well at least I know how now.

sabriyahm

Postby sabriyahm » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:57 pm

Ruroshin wrote:
sabriyahm wrote:I think I will get the ball rolling. I figured out how to edit the Wiki (I figured if I can reencode video I can edit the dang Wiki) I have posted my first review of Goong. Feel free to edit (or delete 8) it accordingly.

no i think you are better off posting the review in the new KDrama on DVD subforum and providing a link in the wiki entry.

Cool I prefer this method anyway. Thanks for making a sub forum for it. It was what I wanted in the first place. And I already deleted myself from the Wiki.
Last edited by sabriyahm on Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby pokute » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:58 pm

sabriyahm wrote:
pokute wrote:
Ruroshin wrote:

LMAO!!!

I think I will get the ball rolling. I figured out how to edit the Wiki (I figured if I can reencode video I can edit the dang Wiki) I have posted my first review of Goong. Feel free to edit (or delete 8) it accordingly.

Woah. Very organised and complete review. I might change the target name to "DVD Reviews". There are a couple of spelling errors.

sabriyahm

Postby sabriyahm » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:11 pm

pokute wrote:
sabriyahm wrote:
pokute wrote:
Ruroshin wrote:

LMAO!!!

Woah. Very organised and complete review. I might change the target name to "DVD Reviews". There are a couple of spelling errors.

Ok I made the first thread in the new sub forum and am linking that to the Wiki. I hope this satisfies everyone.

Gummi Bear

Postby Gummi Bear » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:32 pm

Ahhh!! This is so sad, so many great drama torrents being removed and I just installed Windows Vista so its not compatible with CB yet ...

XxSweetQueenxX

Postby XxSweetQueenxX » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:01 am

That freaking suck :cussing: leave it to the man to ruin everything :cry:

thuyanh99

Postby thuyanh99 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:06 am

marie_23 wrote:
groink wrote:
bellaheart wrote:groink you have to take in consideration that some of us can't afford $100 series let alone almost $1000 series...

... but not being able to afford your K-drama addiction allows you to steal these shows, while others like myself who have the money can. This logic is twisted. Like I've always said: If you can't afford the hobby, then don't DO the hobby.

Hmmm...if you can afford to buy your dramas then why are you on a website that offers them for free? :scratch:

ha.ha.. I ditto to that! well, I think we should ignore the harsh comments on people who can't afford the $1000 series! :) After all, some of us still are in school....we don't have that kind of money, even we want to ....:(

Drama-craze

Postby Drama-craze » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:38 am

This absolutely sucks! Hell! I just bought a 47" LCD HDTV today. Now, I can't enjoy my favorite K-Drama on the big screen.

OK. I've been reading about these Region 1, 2 and 3. Can anyone explain a little bit more on this? Should I be looking for a specific region when I buy dvds? I've bought boxsets on ebay before but the quality wasn't that good either. I'm not sure if they are originals.

pinkcow

Postby pinkcow » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:16 am

WroW wrote: Haha and if we start comparing dramas with cars than we all would have to watch german dramas. But believe me no one wants to see german dramas :mrgreen:

haha! this made me chuckle a bit.

jessolicious

Postby jessolicious » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:14 pm

i understand why it's being done, but it's kind of a shame. i used to watch dramas on tv back home, but now i'm away at college in another state and they don't have the korean channel as part of basic cable here. daddicts has been a great place for me to download and watch shows i would have otherwise missed before deciding whether or not i want to buy the expensive licenced versions on yesasia.

silvermug

Postby silvermug » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:18 pm

23 pages? omg. please, so is there any other way to dload these dramas? :(

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby pokute » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:05 pm

Drama-craze wrote:This absolutely sucks! Hell! I just bought a 47" LCD HDTV today. Now, I can't enjoy my favorite K-Drama on the big screen.

OK. I've been reading about these Region 1, 2 and 3. Can anyone explain a little bit more on this? Should I be looking for a specific region when I buy dvds? I've bought boxsets on ebay before but the quality wasn't that good either. I'm not sure if they are originals.

Just keep watching the Korean DVD forum. We're going to *try* to help everyone make educated decisions about buying Korean drama dvd's.

toubib46

Postby toubib46 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:00 pm

It's sad that D-Addicts has to remove the YA licensed dramas. I used to buy previous YA korean dramas since the English subtitle is very decent and the transfer to DVD is always excellent, til the day they released Seo Dong Yo. The guy that they hired to do the subtitle must have learnt English from outer space. Since, I'm very cautious with Yes Asia drama products.
Drama-Craze should go buy a Region-Free DVD player that could read any region DVD and don't expect to get good copies from Ebay.
The ones who still love to watch korean, chinese dramas should check out TigerCinema.com where you could rent them for a monthly fee and they will send out the whole set to your house so you could watch the series at your own pace. Then if you really like one drama, then you should spend the 70-100.00 to buy the original drama from YesAsia if they will do a decent subtitling job.
I don't work for TigerCinema and am in no way affiliated to them. But their service is great.

Annessa

Postby Annessa » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:15 pm

^ Yesasia has nothing to do with the Seo Dong Yo dvd set, other than being a retailer... they sell the dvds, they didn't provide the subtitles/translations. Many people do not realize the differences between certain dvd sets (YAE, SBS Productions, KBS America, KDT/MBC America, Bitwin... etc.)

Yesasia DOES NOT provide translations or subtitles for any Korean drama, as far as I know. I"ve noticed that a lot of the comments people write in the reviews for Korean dramas on yesasia's website are often requesting subtitles or better quality subtitles. They don't have control over that.

SBS Productions released the Seo Dong Yo dvd set... they are not exactly known for high quality subtitles. Some of them aren't as bad as others, though. You must read the product descriptions, as they always state which company produced the dvd set.

chula

Postby chula » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:37 pm

dang, this sucks.

i buy some YA-released dramas ... only after i watch the whole fansubbed drama and really liked it.

i remember being disappointed with YA's Samsoon set because there were differences with the fansubbed version. (there was one scene that they were referring to Lee Hyori but the YA subs said Beyonce).

i think fansubs are great ... there are explanations/side notes and translations of the songs, things that we don't normally see in official DVDs.

:(

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby pokute » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:51 pm

chula wrote:dang, this sucks.

i buy some YA-released dramas ... only after i watch the whole fansubbed drama and really liked it.

i remember being disappointed with YA's Samsoon set because there were differences with the fansubbed version. (there was one scene that they were referring to Lee Hyori but the YA subs said Beyonce).

That is really offensive. Sounds like somebody making a stupid joke at the expense of people who need the subs.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby pokute » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:57 pm

Annessa wrote:Yesasia DOES NOT provide translations or subtitles for any Korean drama, as far as I know. I"ve noticed that a lot of the comments people write in the reviews for Korean dramas on yesasia's website are often requesting subtitles or better quality subtitles. They don't have control over that.

YAE is a subsidiary of YesAsia, therefore YesAsia provides translations and subtitles and DOES have control over them. I have shown that YAE's website is served from a computer in the YesAsia LAN, and that the CEO of YesAsia is the registrar and technical contact for YAE's domain. Why do you insist that this is not true?

I also just noticed that on every YesAsia page listing a YAE dvd set, there is a notice stating that wholesale quantities are available direct from yaentertainment.com.
Last edited by pokute on Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toubib46

Postby toubib46 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:18 pm

It looks like not only YesAsia, but a lot of companies that produce oriental dramas that are sold worldwide don't have any consideration and respect for their customers who don't speak the original language. I'm sure that somewhere in China, Korea etc., there are excellent people who know the English language wel to do the subttling decently. And the living proofs are the people from the wonderful Sub Fan Clubs in Asia that have provided us with excellent subtitles, in spite of their busy schedules.
There does have some notations on many DVD sets I bought warning us about the quality of the English subtitles. But there is no excuse for these companies to release these sets with a " poor " English subtitle rating. Where is their national pride? I agree with pokute about the whole subtitle mess being a stupid joke where these companies don't really care about their customers.
Also they should learn the way how subtitles could be presented in a better way from the Sub Fan Clubs whose subs are so pleasing and easy to read.

ladysaotome

Postby ladysaotome » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:05 pm

pokute wrote:
ryan5781 wrote:this is sad i really love how you guys do the english subs, in my country jumong can be bought already in pirated version, but the translation i think sucks big time, i hear that ep1-28 were subbed properly and i think was copied here lol but from 30 onwards the subbing sucked big time already

one question though is it illegal to do translation? if not i do hope you guys continue to do translation even without uploading the raw or hardsubbed files

Not only is it not illegal to do translation (though it may be illegal to distribute the translation publicly!), there is an implicit copyright associated with any translation, so if we translate a show, it means that a commercial licenser in the U.S. cannot use a significant number of phrases that are the same as those in a fansub without fear of BEING SUED BY THE FANSUBBER! This is the reason why some commercial subs of anime seem to be totally brain-damaged.

Finally an explanation on why commercial releases frequently translate certain key phrases so badly! While I can understand fansubbers not wanting to get ripped off, it's a shame when the licensed copy has to use poor substitutes. I remember ,when MeruPuri (the manga) got licensed, being horribly disappoint that the most romantic lines were changed & didn't have the magic the scanlations had.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby pokute » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:20 pm

Yeah, manga suffer the worst from this particular phenomenon. "Solar Hands" was so perfect in Yakitate Japan. "Hands of the Sun" just sounds ponderous. And what happens when the manga gets up to the "Solar Gauntlets" concept... God help them if they use "Forearms of the Sun".

Drama-craze

Postby Drama-craze » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:44 pm

pokute wrote:
Drama-craze wrote:This absolutely sucks! Hell! I just bought a 47" LCD HDTV today. Now, I can't enjoy my favorite K-Drama on the big screen.

Just keep watching the Korean DVD forum. We're going to *try* to help everyone make educated decisions about buying Korean drama dvd's.

Thanks.

Annessa

Postby Annessa » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:09 pm

chula wrote:dang, this sucks.

:(

i totally agree with your sentiment about YAE's subs compared to fansubs. i usually watch the dramas first by downloading from clubbox, and then buy the dvd set if i like it.

don't mean to be picky, but the scene you're talking about mentioned Ock Joo Hyun, another FinKL member, not Lee Hyo Ri... it was a scene where Jin-Hun's mom and her assistant were watching Hee-Jin do yoga. Ock Joo Hyun was famously known for losing weight by doing yoga, plus released a yoga dvd, and opened a yoga studio. there were several scenes from "My Name is Kim Sam Soon" that weren't translated to convey the exact meaning of what was said.

pokute wrote:
YAE is a subsidiary of YesAsia, therefore YesAsia provides translations and subtitles and DOES have control over them. I have shown that YAE's website is served from a computer in the YesAsia LAN, and that the CEO of YesAsia is the registrar and technical contact for YAE's domain. Why do you insist that this is not true?

I also just noticed that on every YesAsia page listing a YAE dvd set, there is a notice stating that wholesale quantities are available direct from yaentertainment.com.

I'm not being insistent on this... I was told specifically by a YAE representative that YA Entertainment and yesasia are two SEPARATE companies, and that they work separately from Yesasia. YAE are the ones that acquire the rights to certain Korean dramas, not YesAsia, which serves as a retailer for YAE's products. Unless, they are lying to me, then perhaps you are right. Feel free to go to YAE's website, e-mail or call them and ask the very same question. Also, the "ya" in YA Entertainment actually stands for "ya" in Korean, meaning "hey!" and does not stand for YesAsia.

You didn't quote my entire post, but i was also emphasizing that there is a difference in the dvd sets that are available because they are produced by different companies. Many people assume that all Korean dramas sold on Yesasia are manufactured by them, which is not true.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby pokute » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:34 pm

I think we are just differing over semantics here. Certainly, they are seperate companies, engaged in independent activities. They are however owned by the same person and share common infrastructure. Hierarchically, YAE is a subsidiary, spun off from the retail business YesAsia. I never suggested the name was significant in any way...

I think you are absolutely correct that YesAsia is not necessarily associated in any way with any other manufacturer of Korean drama dvd's except as a retailer.

cornflake

Postby cornflake » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:53 pm

Damn this sucks. They got JuMong. The question is, it says it's not releasing it until April, so can D-fansubs still continue to sub it until then? xP

Annessa

Postby Annessa » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:00 am

^ thanks for clearing that up. and my comment about the origin of YAE's name... i just thought i'd throw that in there, because it confuses a lot of people, who assume that it stands for YesAsia. i, myself, used to think that it did. i'm just going by what YAE told me... that YesAsia does not deal with YAE's subtiitles/translations, or the manufacturing of the dvd sets.

off topic from the above, but you can find YAE dvd sets for a bit cheaper sometimes from other retailers... i have purchased some of my sets from dvdempire.com (although, it looks like they raised their prices since the last time i made a purchase) and overstock.com.... you also gotta keep an eye out for the coupons floating around online. i've paid around $50-55 most of my YAE dvds in the past. still not cheap, but that's better than paying $70-100 per set.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby pokute » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:08 am

Please review your YAE sets in the Korean DVD Forum! Pretty please!

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby pokute » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:10 am

Last edited by pokute on Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

khmai_kandi22

Postby khmai_kandi22 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:33 am

cornflake wrote:Damn this sucks. They got JuMong. The question is, it says it's not releasing it until April, so can D-fansubs still continue to sub it until then? xP

Refer to the JuMong Subtitle thread about it.

FROM NOW ON, DON'T ASK ABOUT WHETHER DF WILL DROP OR WHATEVER IN THIS THREAD. GO CHECk THE JUMONG SUBTITLE THREAD TO FIND OUT.

THIS GOES FOR EVERYONE ELSE AS WELL!

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby pokute » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:43 am

Last edited by pokute on Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

HD69

Postby HD69 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:07 am

Annessa wrote:off topic from the above, but you can find YAE dvd sets for a bit cheaper sometimes from other retailers... i have purchased some of my sets from dvdempire.com (although, it looks like they raised their prices since the last time i made a purchase) and overstock.com.... you also gotta keep an eye out for the coupons floating around online. i've paid around $50-55 most of my YAE dvds in the past. still not cheap, but that's better than paying $70-100 per set.

If your getting your YEA box sets for $50-$55. From what I have been reading here and in my experience that is about the cheapest I have heard of someone paying for a YAE dvd box set.

The cheapest for by was $60 and that was once,. Usually I am paying $65-$75. And the most I paid for a single drama from YAE was $85 and that was the Palace.

YAE just released their propaganda newsletter today. Looks like they just brought the US rights to Super Rookie. They say it will be released in May 07. So expect to see that pulled from this site any day now.

groink

Postby groink » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:17 am

pokute wrote:There's no reason why subs would stop. Nobody has an exclusive license to interpret the dialog exchanged in Korean language television programs for educational purposes. It may be wise at this point for all subbers to declare that the scripts they provide are unauthorised translations, provided solely for educational purposes, AND to ASSERT COPYRIGHT:

I would re-think this. In the anime fansubbing community, fansubbing is looked at illegal. In anime, once a show becomes licensed in the U.S., everything - including RAW distribution and fansubs - are removed and banned on most anime sites. YA Entertainment's licensed works should be treated the exact same way as FUNimation, TokyoPOP, etc.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=951

What is this copyright thing anyway?
It should be pretty obvious, really. To own the copyright of a certain piece of art (writing, music, film etc.) means that you get to control who can make copies of and distribute the said piece of art.

What are the rules concerning copyright?
The rules vary from nation to nation, as each country has their own set of intellectual property laws (of which copyright is one). Most developed countries have laws conforming to the WTO Trips agreement. That agreement is in effect an extension of the Berne Convention that deals with what the signing parties (countries that is) are supposed to put into law concerning intellectual property.

Who owns the copyright of anime?
The original producer owns the copyright of any material. This will usually mean that the company that commissioned the anime owns the worldwide copyright...as far as copyright agreements go, at least. The copyright may then be sold (or more often licensed) to other companies in different parts of the world. This means that whatever anime you are watching, someone owns the copyright of it.

What does this mean for fansubs (and AnimeSuki)?
As per the Berne Convention, any substantial distribution of copyrighted material produced within the union (the signing countries, that is) is illegal. This is a cold hard fact. Exactly how the signing parties have implemented this in their laws vary according to, among other things, their concept of fair use. The convention states that the copyright holder should have the right to prosecute to recover damages done by the person or organisation performing the copyright infringement. It does not mandate that the state should prosecute such crimes, but neither does it prohibit it. As always, your mileage may vary.

In any case, people participating in filesharing could potentially be a target of prosecution in many countries. In some countries, even linking to copyrighted materials is illegal, and in such jurisdictions a site like AnimeSuki would be illegal.

I live in country X, have my country signed these silly agreements?
If your country happens to be USA, Japan, Australia or anything in Europe, then most certainly it has.

My country has not signed Trips or the Berne Convention...Or the material I distribute is not produced in the union. Yay!
Hold your horses matey! You still have to check with your national board of commerce if you happen to have a separate agreement with the state where the material is being produced. Furthermore, the Berne Convention has several clauses protecting material produced outside the union, but distributed inside the union within a certain time limit. Even more sneaky; if the producer has an office or is a national of a signing country, then the rules will still apply. So be really, really sure before you start claiming legality of your filesharing.
-----

So before we start giving fansubbers legal advice, we should really review this information and take action accordingly.

--- groink

twinkystar8891

Postby twinkystar8891 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:50 am

so can we still download drama without subs or create softsubs ???
if not THAT IS REALLY SUCK !!! they have all the good drama, and we have to pay for that !!! those are way too expensive, some people don't have enough money to buy!!!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

groink

Postby groink » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:50 am

Here's the BIG QUESTION, as someone a few hundred replies ago tried to address. For example, let's say someone took a copy of the Japanese novel The Book of Five Rings, translated to English, and then uploaded it to the Internet as a free download. That is deemed illegal because the reader would extract the same information from the English translation as the original Japanese writing, taking into consideration that the translation was 100-percent accurate. There's been case studies where people tried to use excuses like "I'm not selling it", "the translation is my own creative work", etc.

Touching on the "my own creative work" idea, you can in theory put together English words to form sentences, and then protect these sentences under copyright law. However, if you were to take a company such as YA Entertainment to court and try to collect on the copyright, most judges would make a judgment in favor of YA Entertainment because, once again, the issue is not really the construction of the words/sentences, but rather the knowledge one would get out of the work is what's copyrighted.

Here's a better example of obtaining knowledge out of a work. Let's say a person were to create a set of documentation on how to build robot and wrote it in Korean. Then someone took the documentation and translated it to English. Ruroshin then takes the English translation and builds the robot. Being able to build the robot is the knowledge Ruroshin collected from the English documentation. And Ruroshin did not pay the Korean writer a single dime. That's what I mean by extracting knowledge out of the writing - and the knowledge is copyrightable.

This same exact idea can be applied to other forms of communications - including spoken language such as Korean dramas. The video is one part of the story - the spoken language is the other part. If you took out the spoken language and just watched the video, you would not be able to ascertain the story. Both video and the spoken language are copyrighted and licensed by YA Entertainment.

So, a fansubber comes along and translates the spoken audio into English words/sentences, and then he gives it away for free. The argument I've been reading in this topic up to now is that the fansub is not licensed. That is far from the truth. The story itself is licensed. Whether it is spoken in Korean, translated in English and given away as softsubs, or even spoken on an audio tape in English by Hillary Clinton - the STORY is copyrighted and licensed.

That is why I believe subtitles in ANY language is illegal. Fansubbers are basically giving away the story for free. That's the way I've interpreted copyright law over the years.

--- groink

auroragb

Postby auroragb » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:02 am

groink wrote:
pokute wrote:There's no reason why subs would stop. Nobody has an exclusive license to interpret the dialog exchanged in Korean language television programs for educational purposes. It may be wise at this point for all subbers to declare that the scripts they provide are unauthorised translations, provided solely for educational purposes, AND to ASSERT COPYRIGHT:
I would re-think this. In the anime fansubbing community, fansubbing is looked at illegal. In anime, once a show becomes licensed in the U.S., everything - including RAW distribution and fansubs - are removed and banned on most anime sites. YA Entertainment's licensed works should be treated the exact same way as FUNimation, TokyoPOP, etc.
I think pokute meant soft-subs. Distribution of soft subs are legal. How the subber got the raw is questionable unless the subbers can record the raw themselves from broadcast
Jdrama Chinese fansub index 2006 | 2007

groink

Postby groink » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:06 am

auroragb wrote:
groink wrote:
I think pokute meant soft-subs. Distribution of soft subs are legal. How the subber got the raw is questionable unless the subbers can record the raw themselves from broadcast

Sorry, read up my follow-up post. Policy on softsubs should be reviewd as well.

auroragb

Postby auroragb » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:33 am

I am not a lawyer. But I thought that ideas cannot be copyrighted. Ideas can be patented, but not be copyrighted. Then there is fair use and freedom of speech. So, IMHO, translations are definitely in gray area

So, it will probably come down to who has the better lawyer. Chances are, companies would

groink

Postby groink » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:42 am

auroragb wrote:I am not a lawyer. But I thought that ideas cannot be copyrighted. Ideas can be patented, but not be copyrighted. Then there is fair use and freedom of speech. So, IMHO, translations are definitely in gray area

So, it will probably come down to who has the better lawyer. Chances are, companies would

I don't think a story can be considered an idea. You could say, for example, I want to tell a story about a chubby girl. That can be considered an idea, and anyone can write a story about a chubby girl. But as you start adding on more elements to the idea, you would then end up with Sam-Soon. The idea, when developed into detail becomes a story. It is the story that is copyright-able and license-able. This is the way AnimeSuki interprets things, which is why they take down the softsubs along with the RAWs and any other elements that associate with the licensed work.

--- groink

auroragb

Postby auroragb » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:59 am

groink wrote:This is the way AnimeSuki interprets things, which is why they take down the softsubs along with the RAWs and any other elements that associate with the licensed work.
--- groink
Franklin said "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Perhaps I'm a little Americentric in my beliefs, but I believe that liberty should be exercised and protected to the maximum unless it does public harm. Hence I believe that we should exercise our liberty in its fullest unless specifically declared illegal. Perhaps there is the interest of staying on the safe side, but to each his own.

groink

Postby groink » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:43 am

auroragb wrote:Perhaps I'm a little Americentric in my beliefs, but I believe that liberty should be exercised and protected to the maximum unless it does public harm. Hence I believe that we should exercise our liberty in its fullest unless specifically declared illegal. Perhaps there is the interest of staying on the safe side, but to each his own.

I feel the same way, which is why I continue to upload shows. There's really two things I wanted out of the way regarding what I wrote today:

1. Once Ruroshin or myself receive a cease-desist letter because of something I personally uploaded, I stop uploading, and end of groinkcaps.

2. We should be giving all information to the fansubbers, and then let each group or individual decide how to interpret the laws addressing translations of copyrighted works, rather than giving people the "coast is clear" message and make them think translating on a fansub level is legal without actually discussing it in details.

--- groink

cutekid

Postby cutekid » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:53 am

hi! i would like to butt in to the topic on fansubbing. anyways groink maybe is right on his point there. we do not know if fansubbing licensed works is legal or not. it should be discussed by both sides YA and the different fansubbing teams here. we should support the licensed works and respect each side because it benifits us all.

deividkamui

Just One Cuestion

Postby deividkamui » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:55 am

hi! I Have Just One Cuestion:

Is Winter Sonata lisenced???

:cry:

BOGCHI

Re: Just One Cuestion

Postby BOGCHI » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:13 am

deividkamui wrote:hi! I Have Just One Cuestion:

Is Winter Sonata lisenced???

:cry:

Yes, here's the list of other Kdramas that are licensed http://fansub.d-addicts.com/Licensed_KDramas

mikey009

Postby mikey009 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:00 pm

pokute wrote:This is totally mind-boggling. Why? because there are hundreds, if not thousands, of Korean video rental stores in Los Angeles, some of them doing insane business, and I have yet to see anything except pirated material available for rental in any of these stores. For that matter, there are Chinese video stores here that sell hundreds of dvd's per hour, and perhaps 2% of those are region 1, and 10% region 3's, the rest being pirated.

Since piracy seems to be the norm within the ex-patriate Korean and Chinese communities here (where video, music, Hello Kitty, and name-brand clothing are concerned), it seems ludicrous that anyone would go after D-Addicts, where litigation would not reap significant financial remuneration, and not after some of these enormous PIRATE video operations that are raking in the dough here in L.A.

Hell, it's actually very difficult to buy any genuine region 3 releases here... You can spend days digging through all the pirated material before you find a genuine release... I am not exaggerating!

when a film company goes after a site hosting "pirated" videos most of them are not going after money. All they want is to stem piracy by holding the owners of the site accountable to set a example. Suprnova was the best example.

PJB

Postby PJB » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:00 pm

Will we get updated information as soon as new dramas are about to be licensed? :blink

xse7enx

Postby xse7enx » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:54 am

It sucks for a lot of us who don't speak Korean, do not have access to Asiand Tv Channels and really have no way of purchasing the DVDs (internet sales are a little expensive). If it wasnt for hardworking websites like D-Addicts and their subbing teams some (if not all) of us would have never been exposed to Asian Dramas. Thanks for your haard work.

Fans, if you want to do something, even if it is small. Look at our numbers. Thousands of fans can have a voice. Go to the YA Entertainment site. Send emails. NOT hate mails. Ask why? Or is there anyway to avoid legal action without us having to lose our source for Korean Dramas. Be polite, be understanding. We can all understand what they are trying to do. Make profit by cashing in on the Asian Wave. Which is understandable. They are business people. But maybe thousands of Fans sending requests to leave Youtube, D-Addicts, etc... alone, hey someone just might listen.

I myself have purchased a few dramas, but it can be expensive. Like I said, there thousands of fans and maybe our voices can get someone's attention. If you do send a letter, email, whatever that'd be great! Lets help our subbing teams and show them some appreciation by standing up for them and helping them in continuing their work.

Thanks again D-addicts! And to all the peeps that worked hard to bring people like me great dramas!

Philia

Postby Philia » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:02 am

Just found out about this. End of an era, this site has been great.

However I would not gather in our thousands to voice opinions as suggested in the above post. This is the law and what we do pretty much crosses it. Sending letters will only identify who the pirates are.

However saying that, yes the DVD sets are way over priced, especially imports from China/HK which should be a lot cheaper, but I think they caught onto the export trend.

No matter what they do, people are still going to share dramas, although probably not from this site anymore. They should target those vid stores selling pirated copies rather than target us. The majority of peopel here are not in it to make money, but to simply enjoy these dramas, get a taste of asian culture etc.

The thing is, in the general scope sharing asian dramas is nothing compared to the amount of shareing that goes on with western dramas. Its just it seems this is THE place to go for asian dramas and pretty much how we were targetted.

Make the site private for a start.

doodoofan

Postby doodoofan » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:24 pm

I have just found out about this in WITHS2 page. OMG this totally sucks! I hate it when we are not allowed to download things just because they are licensed. I've been tired of licensed manga, anime and now DRAMA! Does this mean we will no longer be able to watch the drama we like unless we have enough money to pay for them?? God YA think that everyone in this world are rich??

Btw I have a little question: Will the drama uploaded to free file hosting (megaupload, rapidshare, etc.) in some drama sites be removed too? If yes, it will be the end of the world to me! :(

doodoofan

Postby doodoofan » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:27 pm

OMG Glass Slippers is removed! Luckily I managed to download the whole series.

marie_23

Postby marie_23 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:31 pm

doodoofan wrote:I have just found out about this in WITHS2 page. OMG this totally sucks! I hate it when we are not allowed to download things just because they are licensed. I've been tired of licensed manga, anime and now DRAMA! Does this mean we will no longer be able to watch the drama we like unless we have enough money to pay for them?? God YA think that everyone in this world are rich??

Btw I have a little question: Will the drama uploaded to free file hosting (megaupload, rapidshare, etc.) in some drama sites be removed too? If yes, it will be the end of the world to me! :(

Uhmm...Unless the people trying to sue d-addicts can stop pirating of licensed material all over the world (which is virtually impossible) :glare: you can rest assured some one will have the dramas in question you are asking about floating out their on the wide open space called the internet.

Return to “D-Addicts Announcements”