Perfect chance to get into subbing ...

Discuss fansubbing issues, problems, or learn how to create fansubs.
koshonin

Perfect chance to get into subbing ...

Postby koshonin » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:33 am

... learn to use the software commonly used ...
(start-sixties-advertising-slogans) be envied by neighbors; rivaled by your peers .... (/end advertising) :P

long story short: I have some untimed machine translations lying around, but not the time to do anything with them.
extra for this proposal I wrote a new export filter so that now it is in ".ass" with 3 lines: Japanese, romaji, English

...what could you do with them, you ask?
- the easiest would be to fire up your program and retime it to your video, the beauty is that you can retime them by ear using romaji and when done you can just export the language(s) of your choosing.
I think other subbers would appreciate being able to use timed subs for their translations; and you get to learn to use the software, generating output that might actually be useful, be part of the crowd and probably get a pat on your back ... ;)
and all these steps without the need to learn Japanese first

let's just see how this develops:

looking forward to your feedback

lets start with a special and because I like Maki Yoko:
1. 2015.09. Kamoshirenai Joyuutachi | raw: jdramacity (thank's furransu)

2. 2015.09. another special: TBS Drama Special 2015 ~ Red Cross ~ Onnatachi no Akagami | info jd.wp | raw: jdramacity (thank's furransu)
Attachments
Red Cross - Onnatachi no Akagami.rar
(301.57 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Kamoshirenai Joyuutachi (848x480 x264).ass
(331.13 KiB) Downloaded 56 times

TheLizardfolk

Re: Perfect chance to get into subbing ...

Postby TheLizardfolk » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:17 am

Hello Koshonin!

I grabbed the Red Cross subs from jdramacity and timed them to the videos I have. They are 720p AAC-DoA.

I fed the subtitles through Google Translator in the Subtitle Edit program and unfortunately the result isn't quite watchable so I'm still waiting for a someone or some group to pick it up for subbing.

I hope you or anyone else would find these useful ^^

Red Cross looks good.
Attachments
Red Cross Timed Subs.rar
(127.54 KiB) Downloaded 59 times

Manatsu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby Manatsu » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:53 pm

I just watched Red Cross and I would be more than thrilled to translate it if there is a demand for it (be it a remote one).

Additionally, I need a timer to time it to the DoA release and to add missing lines for some Russian spoken dialogue.

If anyone is willed to help me out, send me a PM.

My translation would be more liberal than literal (or at least I try to make the conversational flow sound as natural as possible in English).

koshonin

Postby koshonin » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:12 pm

MiIiyah wrote:I just watched Red Cross and I would be more than thrilled to translate it if there is a demand for it (be it a remote one).

Additionally, I need a timer to time it to the DoA release and to add missing lines for some Russian spoken dialogue.

If anyone is willed to help me out, send me a PM.

My translation would be more liberal than literal (or at least I try to make the conversational flow sound as natural as possible in English).

Thanks for the interest, there are always people who appreciate translations for specials (me included)
if you look into the post just above yours : lizardfolk seems to have timed it to DOA's release maybe you can go from there (if that's what you meant by timing help)

TheLizardfolk wrote:...

Thanks Lizard for sharing! if you are confident about your timing then you can add the Japanese-timed-subtitles in the "subtitle-sub_forum" , that way they could be easily found - and from experience: there is demand for properly timed Japanese subtitles.

also, I had a short look: and I like to suggest to not use '<' / '>' (greaterThan / lessThan) as a kind of bracket, because some/most players parse them as being some kind of html/xml tag and wont display anything inbetween ...

koshonin

Postby koshonin » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:03 pm

3. 2015.11. [SP].15-09-20.Shokatsu.Damashii | raw: nyaa (thank you vampirexxx)

4. 2015.11. [SP].15-09-26.Kanata.no.kazoku | raw: nyaa (thank you vampirexxx)

5. 2015.11. [SP].15-10-03.Mittsu.No.Tsuki | raw: nyaa (thank you vampirexxx)

looking forward to your feedback (not about the translation -its just mt-, but about the usability of the file/format for retiming)

the entries should've been in the first post, but my browser disagrees ......
Attachments
[SP].15-10-03.Mittsu.No.Tsuki.zip
(127.16 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
[SP].15-09-26.Kanata.no.kazoku.zip
(170.14 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
[SP].15-09-20.Shokatsu.Damashii.zip
(268.68 KiB) Downloaded 21 times

Aethera

Postby Aethera » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:35 pm

Trying to watch Red Cross but I can't stop laughing because of the subs. For example, just saw this wonderful sentence pop up:
stinkie don't must become strongly is about not lose a man

:lol

Kind of reminds me of the famous "Translate Server Error" restaurant at the Beijing olympics.

koshonin

Postby koshonin » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:49 pm

yes, the translations are sometimes good for a laugh and more often then not incomprehensible/rediculous.

But while primarily intended as an incentiv for those taking it upon themself to retime the japanese subs without any knowledge of Japanese it might at times help the impatient to get at least an idea of what a show is about.

On that note: I'm unsure if I should continue or not, because without any feedback I can't improve on the fileformat or selection of files

EDIT: I looked into it and can say, that its not my machine translation that produced that sentence

cubicalnoses

Postby cubicalnoses » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:10 am

I just downloaded the subs you put up in the OP for Kamoshirenai Joyuutachi (I'm also a big Maki Yoko fan). Sorry for showing up a bit late, but I was wondering what exactly you were looking for.. Should I just use the subs you provided to time the broken English lines into a new sub file? Or could I put some extra work into editing the broken English to make it a bit more readable (even though I only know basic 日本語). I'd probably have to take some creative liberties at certain spots, but I'd be more than willing to put in the effort -- especially for Kamoshirenai Joyuutachi! I've watched it through twice without any subs and it's amazing!

koshonin

Postby koshonin » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:33 am

could you please check the OP and the one above your's again ? is it too confusing ? [-selfdoubt-insecure-headscratch-] ~ no wonder there hasn't been much feedback, when I wasn't understandable ~
in any case: the prime goal is to help ppl realize timed jpn subs in an easy way (using romaji for timing by ear)
the -mt- is just my thank-you to those who take it upon themself to do it
using the -mt- as a basis for english subs should be disouraged, because it will always be subpar and is not worth the effort.

koshonin

Postby koshonin » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:20 pm

next try (I still hope something comes of it; wink to all those lurking from the sidelines)

thanks to furransu (jdramacity) there are raws for the 2 Part Ooku 2016 Special
Attachments
Ooku.SP.2016.7z
(142.99 KiB) Downloaded 38 times

dhisashi

Postby dhisashi » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:03 pm

cubicalnoses wrote:I just downloaded the subs you put up in the OP for Kamoshirenai Joyuutachi (I'm also a big Maki Yoko fan). Sorry for showing up a bit late, but I was wondering what exactly you were looking for.. Should I just use the subs you provided to time the broken English lines into a new sub file? Or could I put some extra work into editing the broken English to make it a bit more readable (even though I only know basic 日本語). I'd probably have to take some creative liberties at certain spots, but I'd be more than willing to put in the effort -- especially for Kamoshirenai Joyuutachi! I've watched it through twice without any subs and it's amazing!

There is already a good set of English subs for Kamoshirenai Joyuutachi.
You can find the link to them at furransu (jdramacity):
http://jdramacity.blogspot.com/2015/06/sp-kamoshirenai-joyuutachi-20150623.html
:-)

koshonin

Re: Perfect chance ... toto neechan

Postby koshonin » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:01 am

w01 -mt- for toto neechan (for the impatient :wink: )
Attachments
TotoNeechan.w01.7z
(91.5 KiB) Downloaded 23 times