Plage [Eng Subs] (Ep 0.2 of 5)

You can find/upload subtitle files for tv drama series here.
Please use the Fansubbing forum to discuss subtitles.
rm_you

Plage [Eng Subs] (Ep 0.2 of 5)

Postby rm_you » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:18 am

Literal Translation: Plage ~ a sharehouse for people with complications ~

Starring: Hoshino Gen, Naka Riisa, Mashima Hidekazu, Nakamura Yuri, Shibukawa Kiyohiko, Suga Shikao, Ishida Yuriko, and more

Original: "Plage" by Honda Tetsuya

Scriptwriters: Oura Kota [Heat, Shomuni (2013)], Yoshida Yasuhiro [Cold Case]

Synopsis: 32-year-old Yoshimura Takao is a boring salesman who has had a string of failures in his work at a travel agency and to make things worse, he is snubbed by the woman he likes. Then he ends up getting arrested for using stimulants which he did not really know he was taking to forget his troubles and given a suspended sentence. Takao is naturally dismissed by his company. On top of all that, the apartment he is living in goes up in flames … … “There’s nowhere else to go if it doesn’t work out here,” Takao is told before he is taken to a shared house which has a cafe called Plage on the first floor. It is owned by Asada Junko. The basic rent is , a rotating schedule for cleaning, and only a curtain as partition for individual rooms but comes with delicious food. Takao begins to live with a light heart until his next job is decided. But he gets involved in all sorts of commotion caused by the flawed residents, Koike Miwa, Noguchi Akira, Yabe Shiori, Nakahara Michihiko and Kato Tomoki.

Theme Song: "Seiiki" - Fukuyama Masaharu

This is our first subbing project (and first time posting on DA after lurking for a while) so I hope we're doing everything right!
The synopsis above is copied from the jdramas wordpress.
Subs are timed to jdramacity right now, as I don't know of another source for this yet.

We just started on this but wanted to let people know we're doing it, and hopefully jdramacity can un-pause this series... So, I'm attaching a "teaser" which is just the first ~9 minutes that we have done so far. I also figure that if people have suggestions for ways we could improve the presentation/translation, it's better to know early than later!
We always enjoy seeing Hoshino Gen and Ishida Yuriko, and are looking forward to finishing this series! :cheers:
Attachments
Plage ep01 (848x480 x264)-teaser.ass
jdramacity version, teaser v2
(7.23 KiB) Downloaded 344 times
Last edited by rm_you on Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Plage ~ Wakeari Bakari no Sharehouse ~ (2017) [Eng Subs] (Ep 0.2 of 5)

Postby Keiko1981 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:37 am

Thank you.

Improvement that can be made. Increase the font size to something around 30px-34px. Use an easy-to-read font like Arial, Tahoma, or Verdana. Nothing too squiggly.
Font and font size can be changed in Aegisub under the Subtitles menu -> Styles manager... -> Look at the right side and choose "Edit..."

The timing looks good, so you can keep it the way it is. I usually make the lead-out a bit longer so people have time to read.
Gifted Ones | Twitter | UL @ Nyaa | MyDramaList.com
Subbing: Ashita no Yakusoku, Inochi, Oshin, Seoul 1945
Where to find dramas & subtitles

rm_you

Postby rm_you » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:24 am

I guess I've just been watching in a tiny window so it wasn't obvious the scale was off! I'll increase that a bit.
I was trying to time the lines to disappear fairly soon after the character stops speaking, but I read pretty quickly so you're probably right. I can up the lead-out on some of those when there's not a ton more coming on screen quickly. Thanks for the tips!

narsha1000

Postby narsha1000 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:58 am

Thanks for this drama !

kenji2008

Postby kenji2008 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:57 am

It's such a good news :cheers:
Ganbare !

itoshinotegoshi

Postby itoshinotegoshi » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:07 pm

Thank you so much for subbing. :salut:
100% JP. Actors/ JDO lover. I :wub: Yamazaki Kento, Miura H, Mocomichi H, Ichihara Hayato, Takeru Satoh, Matsuda Shota, S.Oguri, Toma, Okada M, Nagase, Mabo, Mukai, Kimutaku, S.Sho, Suda M, Kora K, N.Shuhei, Takenouchi, Higashi, Eguchi, Fukuyama, Nishijima H, Dean Fujioka, Shunya S. blah blah

NewKDramaAddict

Postby NewKDramaAddict » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:10 pm

Thanks for doing this. Also another source would be maplestage. Most of their videos go to dailymotion. Only problem is their are hard-subbed with Chinese subs. Love Gen! Looking forward to this one!

eyeslikefirefly

Postby eyeslikefirefly » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:13 am

Thank you!!! Wanted to watch this one so badly (need me some Hoshino Gen) :wub:

bluchan

Postby bluchan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:30 am

Yayyy!! great news!!! I really wanted to see this drama, thank you guys for subbing it!! :dance: :thumright:

Since this news from your part, Jdramacity has continued to upload the remaining chapters, so there are already available 'tll ep 3. :mrgreen:

http://jdramacity.blogspot.com.ar/2017/08/plage.html

am00339

Postby am00339 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:22 pm

:cheers: :salut:

tekkichan

Postby tekkichan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:24 am

THANk you for subbing this

hidde

Postby hidde » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:59 pm

Thank you!! :cheers:

dhisashi

Postby dhisashi » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:04 pm

Thank you and good luck for subbing this.

:D

lenrasoon

Postby lenrasoon » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:41 pm

thank you for subbing this

Alyazimo

Postby Alyazimo » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:59 am

Thank you for your work. :thumleft: Is there any timed Japanese subtitle for this drama?

rm_you

Postby rm_you » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:59 pm

Awesome, yeah, I see the rest of the episodes showing up now.

I'm unaware of any timed Japanese subs -- we're using the untimed ones, and I'm doing the timing myself. If there were timed ones, it would speed things up significantly!

Sorry that we will probably be a bit slow until we get a routine down, but I'm hoping we can get a good flow going soon. We're still figuring out the best way to do this collaboratively (my wife does the initial translation, and I do second pass QA + timing + everything technical).

Right now our process is:
1. We both watch the episode untranslated.
2. I paste the un-timed SRT into a Google sheet and share it.
3. She puts translations on a new line below the Japanese text.
4. I put my QA notes to the right of her translation.
5. We review together and decide what the "final" line should be, merging my notes to the left.
6. I copy the one column back into an SRT and approximately line up the timing in Aegisub.
7. We watch it in Aegisub together and decide if it seems right, comparing the English to Japanese onscreen.
8. I delete all of the Japanese text, do more precise timing, add styles, and convert to ASS for publishing.

The annoying part is when I do timing changes and then need to copy stuff BACK into the sheet, or we make changes in the sheet or in Aegisub while watching and have to remember to sync the two... Merging them can be a bit complex.
If all of that seems like a really silly workflow, I would love to hear tips from other people who do this about how your process works! Maybe there's a thread somewhere about this kind of thing already?

After going about this for a couple of weeks just trying to get translation finished for ONE episode, I have an insanely high level of respect for the people here who manage to get these done in a week or less per episode! T_T

AzraelXVII

Postby AzraelXVII » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:08 pm

thank you very much for picking up this series!

furransu

Postby furransu » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:31 pm

rm_you wrote:Awesome, yeah, I see the rest of the episodes showing up now.

I'm unaware of any timed Japanese subs -- we're using the untimed ones, and I'm doing the timing myself. If there were timed ones, it would speed things up significantly!

There is no timing required with the Japanese subs. All it required is "shifting" the time to sync with the video using Aegisub. (Timing > Shift times)
Once you match the timing of the first line, then that's it. It will probably take only few seconds to do. Then you can just focus on the translations.

If you need help, someone in this forum will be able to help, or check http://fansub.d-addicts.com/Qop123%27s_ ... es_Project

jpfn

Postby jpfn » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:35 pm

Thank you!

rm_you

Postby rm_you » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:57 am

Ah, yes... I suppose "untimed" is the wrong way to describe it. Doing the large shift at the beginning (and each commercial break) to line up the subs helps, but if I left each timing as it was, the viewing experience would be a little awkward. Maybe I'm too OCD about it, but I spend a heck of a lot of time tweaking the beginning and end of each line to feel natural. The subs as they come seem designed to have "no unsubbed time", meaning lines often show up a little early and/or are drawn out a lot longer than they need to be. Maybe as time goes by I'll get a little more lax about it. :sweat:

Varion

Postby Varion » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:02 am

rm_you wrote:Ah, yes... I suppose "untimed" is the wrong way to describe it. Doing the large shift at the beginning (and each commercial break) to line up the subs helps, but if I left each timing as it was, the viewing experience would be a little awkward. Maybe I'm too OCD about it, but I spend a heck of a lot of time tweaking the beginning and end of each line to feel natural. The subs as they come seem designed to have "no unsubbed time", meaning lines often show up a little early and/or are drawn out a lot longer than they need to be. Maybe as time goes by I'll get a little more lax about it. :sweat:

I'm still new in this subbing world and same as you, I try to make things much easier. Pretty much I only did the translations, but when timing is a little bit off it just need some sync in aegisub. Then I learned timing myself so I don't really mind doing that now. You could make the timing a little bit longer for long lines, it really helps.

The subbing usually start very slow, but when you get used to it you will gain more speed and more efficient in the process.
MyDramaList : Here
Finished project : Yutori Desu ga Nani ka
Currently subbing : Ito-kun A to E
Next project : Blanket Cats

namihodai

Postby namihodai » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:53 pm

thanks a lot!!!
my name should have been nomihodai, but I either learned it wrong when I was in Japan or remembered it wrong when I chose my name for d-addicts :D

mydramalist

rm_you

Postby rm_you » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:59 pm

Does anyone happen to have the rest of the subs for this series?
They appear to have been taken down from http://jpsubbers.web44.net/Japanese-Sub ... %EF%BD%9E/ already... I have episode 2 and 3 but eventually will need 4 and 5...

Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Keiko1981 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:16 pm

rm_you wrote:Does anyone happen to have the rest of the subs for this series?
They appear to have been taken down from http://jpsubbers.web44.net/Japanese-Sub ... %EF%BD%9E/ already... I have episode 2 and 3 but eventually will need 4 and 5...

They are there, moved to the Summer Season folder. See プラージュ~訳ありばかりのシェア・ハウス~
Eventually I think the summer season will be moved to the Mains folder.

SanPer

Postby SanPer » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:18 pm

You can find all episodes in

rm_you

Postby rm_you » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:18 am

Keiko1981 wrote:

They are there, moved to the Summer Season folder. See プラージュ~訳ありばかりのシェア・ハウス~
Eventually I think the summer season will be moved to the Mains folder.

Aah, I see! Thanks. Wasn't aware of the way they get moved around.

First pass translation on ep1 is done (took ... longer than anticipated), moving to second pass and timing. I can't believe how much work this is turning out to be. :P

The Mighty Mango

Postby The Mighty Mango » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:38 am

Thanks for working on this, rm_you! I look forward to watching ep 1 whenever subs are ready. :D

頑張って!

ky09

Postby ky09 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:26 pm

thanks for picking this up! :D all the best with subbing and translating the rest :thumleft:

rm_you

Postby rm_you » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:12 am

Quick update: finally finished the second pass on the translations for the whole episode, and moving on to timing. Holy popsickles, that took a lot more hours than I thought it would. But, we've got a routine now, so hopefully that'll help with the future episodes... I'm just excited to be nearing getting something actually released!

dhisashi

Postby dhisashi » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:28 am

Thanks for the update. I hope you have your system worked out now.

:-)

lifeware

Postby lifeware » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:39 pm

rm_you wrote:Quick update: finally finished the second pass on the translations for the whole episode, and moving on to timing. Holy popsickles, that took a lot more hours than I thought it would. But, we've got a routine now, so hopefully that'll help with the future episodes... I'm just excited to be nearing getting something actually released!

great, we will be working forward to your release.

bookish2

Re: Plage [Eng Subs] (Ep 0.2 of 5)

Postby bookish2 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:00 am

Really looking forward to this series! Thank you for subbing!

Return to “Subtitles”