Gochisousan [Eng Subs] (week 5-25) (Complete)

You can find/upload subtitle files for tv drama series here.
Please use the Fansubbing forum to discuss subtitles.
Tails

Postby Tails » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:28 pm

Hi everyone,

The last week of subs are here!
It's been a lot of fun subbing this series and it
definitely had it's share of emotional moments!
I've also gone back to the earlier weeks (in particular weeks 5 to about 10ish)
to do corrections to timing/translations, using what I've learned over the series.

As always, please feel free to post suggestions/questions.
Thank you very much for your support and watching the series!

Gochisousandeshita!

fookie

Postby fookie » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:31 pm

Thanks for week 25!

I really looked forward to watching this show every week.
I am actually a bit sad that its over now...

Thank you very much for subbing this great asadora!

nanashi2

Postby nanashi2 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:27 pm

Thank you for all of your hard work! :cheers: :salut:

Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Keiko1981 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:42 pm

Thank you very much for completing Gochisousan! :)
:w00t: Vote for Jdrama of the Week :w00t:

Gifted Ones | Twitter | UL @ Nyaa
Subbing: Ashi Girl, Inochi, Oshin, Seoul 1945, Takane no Hana
Where to find dramas & subtitles

dhisashi

Postby dhisashi » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:55 pm

Tails wrote:Hi everyone,

to do corrections to timing/translations, using what I've learned over the series.

Gochisousandeshita!

Thank you so very much for picking up the subbing of this wonderful Asadora.
You have done a great job.

:cheers: :salut: :cheers:

narsha1000

Postby narsha1000 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:02 pm

Wow, it's over now. You did an awesome work, congratulations et huge thanks to you!!

VampireXxX

Postby VampireXxX » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:07 pm

Gochisousandeshita!

Thank you very much for completing this asadora...because of you i able to see it until end :cheers:

Thank you for all your efforts :salut:

gochisousama deshita :thumleft:

frankch001

Postby frankch001 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:39 am

Thanks for completing Gochisousan!

discotea30

Postby discotea30 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:17 am

Much thanks for completing this drama Gocisousan. Hope you will consider subbing other dramas now.

rogerlucy

Postby rogerlucy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:30 am

Thanks for finishing this lovely asadora.
Well Done!!!

wewa

Thanks for all your efforts throught the months of subbing

Postby wewa » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:37 am

Thank you so much.

My family loved this, and kept asking if Tails had a new week available yet?

If there is any favorite charity or some way to Pay It Forward, please let us know.

Doomo!

sukibeth

Postby sukibeth » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:46 am

I can't believe it's over! :cry:

Thank you so so so very much for all of your time and effort in making these subs possible. It was a wonderful journey! :wub:

ごちそうさま!

kimutaku144

Postby kimutaku144 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:32 am

thank u so much for your dedication subbing this dorama. I am seriously loving Gochisousan and really enjoy it!

Otsukare sama deshita ~ Gochisousan.

Gochisousandeshita

Postby Gochisousandeshita » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:06 pm

Hi Tails,

Thank you for giving us the privilege of enjoying a most moving story that is Gochisousan with your noble work. It's funny how sometimes the things you pass over at first end up capturing your heart delicately and completely. I first came across this dorama on my Facebook feed when a friend was announcing in a status that she was going to make it a project to sub this in Vietnamese. It failed to induce me to watch it, however, after I checked it out despite that soul-capturing picture of Anne-san and the sentimental quote which struck a chord with me. Then the fateful day came in the form of boredom. I typically don't like to watch the portion of the story played by child actors so I was watching with a very, very casual attitude ready to fast-forward any moment, or even give up. In the end I did jump episodes to when Anne-san came into the role, but the childhood part in episodes 1-3 I saw was definitely valuable because it made me sit up and pay attention. ***Spoiler Alert*** She thinks hard back to what she promised Obachan the night before only to place the entire strawberry into her mouth! "I mean, it's not like Buddle can actually eat the food." How shocking but refreshing! Somehow I could only remember kids being incredibly mature, understanding, sensible and considerate in dramas. Meiko was so different it was incredible. Once Anne-san and Higashide Masahiro-san came into the scene...there's nothing to say but I was so happy - happy that I found this gem.

This story that Gochisousan tells moved me and reinforced many important values about learning, teaching, bonding, making contributions, having faith in others (the most exemplary being the Kazue-Meiko relationship), overcoming hardships, giving yourself time, going through life together with your okusan guided by your love for that person a la Meiko and Yuutaro. In a story filled with uncountable memorable moments/quotes, "You're the best! Yuutaro-san!" conveys and concludes about our two main characters together; to me, it says as much about Meiko as it does about Yuutaro-san. In that scene, I feel Yuutaro-san is great, and Meiko just appears so...powerful. Here's one extraordinary woman recognizing, praising her beloved who didn't disappoint her and come back home (I know in wars it's more like luck and fate and hardly one's "deciding to stay alive" but still, it just fits with his character being relentless in making a difference that it makes you believe that he's alive due to his efforts). It might not make sense to you but in that scene, it can't be any clearer that only these two are deserving of one another - an extraordinary woman and her equally extraordinary husband persevering all to return to what they had. I wish the ending was longer or there was an epilogue because I would have loved to bask in some more happiness from this dorama.

So Tails, you have all my best wishes in the world. I became panicky where I realized that I was approaching episode 120. "When are the next ones going to come out? It could be a really long time," I thought and was afraid. Thankfully, I found out right away that you were posting subs diligently every Friday. It's kind of sad that there isn't a big international fandom for Gochisousan so I can read all the fun fangirling posts and giggle in solidarity. However, I've got to be thankful that I even came across this little gem fully subbed. Gochisousan deshita! You are the best! Tails-san! ;) =)) =))

P/S: By the way, you seem to have made a mistake in episode 141. Starting from 7:05, I think it should be that time Yuutaro-san suspected Meiko of having an affair. If you watch the next things they say, I think you'll agree with me.

Cheers!

PP/S: Excuse the wall of text. I thought I needed to show how I loved Gochisousan very much and appreciated Tails's generosity in doing the subs. :)

Thanks to KIMIGAYO SUBS for the first 4 weeks, too! I forgot after writing that wall of text. :D
Last edited by Gochisousandeshita on Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KyohoGrape

Postby KyohoGrape » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:19 pm

Tails wrote:I've also gone back to the earlier weeks (in particular weeks 5 to about 10ish)

This is incredible, thank you so much for being the perfectionist you are :cheers: :cheers:

:w00t:

Tails

Postby Tails » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:53 pm

@Gochisousan, I'm really glad you enjoyed the series!!
Knowing that makes the subbing all the more rewarding :)
Also you're right about the edit to E121. It does makes more sense in the context of the conversation and I've uploaded the updated version.
I was definitely inspired me to try out some of the dishes featured too!

akakitsu

Postby akakitsu » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:46 pm

Thank you so much for subbing it all through the end. I enjoyed this series very much! :cheers:

arashi525

Postby arashi525 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:04 pm

thank you so much for sticking with it to the very end!

Kojiro83

Postby Kojiro83 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:27 pm

Thank you for completing this series, great job. :cheers:

Gochisousandeshita

Postby Gochisousandeshita » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:53 am

Tails wrote:@Gochisousan, I'm really glad you enjoyed the series!!
Knowing that makes the subbing all the more rewarding :)
Also you're right about the edit to E121. It does makes more sense in the context of the conversation and I've uploaded the updated version.
I was definitely inspired me to try out some of the dishes featured too!

@Tails:

How did you like them? Don't they feel like the most authentic Japanese food because of Gochisousan?! I'd love to try them once but also I wouldn't be surprised if I wouldn't have seconds. Haha :)).
Is there any "Gochisousan" like Meiko in real life? I want a Japanese mother's home-cooked meal! *sighs* :P

BTW, do you see yourself doing this again? It's so admirable how you alone completed such a tremendous task. Is there any dorama that you're interested in at the moment regardless of whether or not you can see yourself subbing? I'm basically soliciting dorama recommendations for my reference because you have great taste. Haha :))

tomzero

Postby tomzero » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:53 am

Thanks once again for picking this up and completing it. i had given up when the series was first dropped. i'm just getting around to starting it now and like it so far.

Tails

Postby Tails » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:32 pm

@Gochisousan
Mostly cook the easy ones :P Things like riceballs, curry and katsu.
They're simple, fill you up and are pretty delicious!

I would like to sub again in future if I have the chance. Before this, I actually didn't know about asadoras and subbing it kind of fell into my lap after I watched the first 4 weeks. But it ended up being a lot of fun and great practice.
I haven't had a chance to watch too many other series, but anything involving food is a plus to me!

@wewa
Glad your family enjoyed it! No worries about donations :)
Recommending the series to people who might be interested would be awesome!

mayezinha

Postby mayezinha » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:49 pm

Thank you so much for taking over this great Asadora and make possible for people not fluent in japanese to watch it.

Gochisousandeshita

Postby Gochisousandeshita » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:03 pm

@Tails:
Gochisousan was my first asadora as well. I also like food dramas. :)
I'll look out for your next subbing project. Hihi
By the way, how long have you been studying Japanese? It's really great! Myself, I'm going to attempt elementary Japanese in the upcoming academic year. I had wanted to do this times before also due to some doramas/manga but never actually ended up doing it. Gochisousan was the push I needed. :)

Tails

Postby Tails » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:35 am

I've been studying on and off for about 3 years. You should definitely go for it!
Doing the language teaches you a lot about the culture too.
Yes, please look out for future subs! I'll be keeping an eye out for good series that need them.

Gochisousandeshita

Postby Gochisousandeshita » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:52 pm

@Tails:
Only 3 years - on and off no less - and you're this proficient?! That really gives me a little bit of confidence that I can become good as well. I read an article that said languages like Japanese, Chinese and Arabic are among the most difficult to learn and only one person has told me it's not that bad. I'll do my best since some of my most favorite dramas/mangas are Japanese and through them I learned and found Japanese to be an honorable/admirable culture.
I can't wait to see what you do next. Let me know if you find a new one you're passionate about. Hihi

I wish there were more people to spazz about Gochisousan with. :)

am00339

Postby am00339 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:59 pm

arigatou !

Tails

Postby Tails » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:06 pm

There was definitely a lot of dictionary use during subbing!
Having the Japanese subs available for reference was a big help too for when I couldn't pick up by ear.

Especially for odd words you wouldn't come across in everyday conversation, like air raid.
Just keep at it at a nice pace and it'll be all worth it when you start picking up parts in native material!

Gochisousandeshita

Postby Gochisousandeshita » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:34 am

@Tails:
Thanks for the encouragement! This time I'm determined to master it for good. What I mean is I'll try my hardest to retain what I learn by making it a consistent part of my everyday life. I have a personal history of studying French for a whole year in high school only to end up forgetting everything when I went off to college. What a shame, really! :(

What I would do once I start to understand a little bit of how Japanese works is to attempt to understand news written about our Gochisousan couple. I'm obsessed with them at the moment, been google-translating news about how they're a couple and might be cohabiting. :P

hp_sauce
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby hp_sauce » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:05 pm

Gochisousandeshita!

Wow - thank you very much for sharing all this hard work :)

I've not looked at the updated versions yet - but one trivial thing that stuck in my head was in E40: [spoiler]Fuku-chan being bullied about her lunch boxes - it wasn't three rice balls, but triangular rice balls.[/spoiler]

dhisashi

Postby dhisashi » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:53 pm

Gochisousandeshita wrote:@Tails:
Gochisousan was my first asadora as well. I also like food dramas. :)
I'll look out for your next subbing project. Hihi
By the way, how long have you been studying Japanese? It's really great! Myself, I'm going to attempt elementary Japanese in the upcoming academic year. I had wanted to do this times before also due to some doramas/manga but never actually ended up doing it. Gochisousan was the push I needed. :)

If you both are "foodies" I hope you are familiar with this Dorama
"Kodoku no Gurume ~Season 4~ (Tokyo TV, Summer 2014) is back in its fourth season. It is the live adaptation of Qusumi Masayuki and Taniguchi Jiro's manga starring Matsushige Yutaka, as Inogashira Goro. The teetotaler loner and import quality goods merchant continues to discover good food all over Tokyo during his business trips. He is also on the look out for new ways of eating, and small, preferably family-owned eateries with simple but outstandingly delicious menus. This season, he will also go and visit other prefectures as well. Also returning is manga author Qusumi who will visit the shop (the actual one featured in the episode) in his segment, "Furatto Qusumi", to sample the dishes and to interview the shop owners.
© original text by: earthcolors

It is all about food.
You can find more links to the previous three seasons as well as great drama notes at Earthcolors web site: http://earth-colors.dreamwidth.org/tag/ ... no+gurume4

Just don't watch any episodes until you have a full belly.
:D

Tails

Postby Tails » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:29 pm

hp_sauce wrote:Wow - thank you very much for sharing all this hard work :)

I've not looked at the updated versions yet - but one trivial thing that stuck in my head was in E40: [spoiler]Fuku-chan being bullied about her lunch boxes - it wasn't three rice balls, but triangular rice balls.[/spoiler]

@hp_sauce - I've put your correction in. I must've seen the kanji for 3 and went on autopilot :P

@dhisashi - I'll put Kodoku no Gurume on my to watch list!

@gochisousan - ah yeah, languages are easy to forget when you don't have a chance to use them. Guess it helps when it's you do it for fun - ie watching dramas :D
Higashide and Anne certainly match in the height department!

kathia_sophia

Postby kathia_sophia » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:04 am

Tails wrote:
hp_sauce wrote:Wow - thank you very much for sharing all this hard work :)

@hp_sauce - I've put your correction in. I must've seen the kanji for 3 and went on autopilot :P

@dhisashi - I'll put Kodoku no Gurume on my to watch list!

@gochisousan - ah yeah, languages are easy to forget when you don't have a chance to use them. Guess it helps when it's you do it for fun - ie watching dramas :D
Higashide and Anne certainly match in the height department!

I love food series and dramas, I watched all Masterchef US seasons, Masterchef Portugal (my country), The Great British Bake Off, Spanish food programs, Korean dramas about food somehow (for ex. Pasta, Kim Tak Goo, etc...), Nobunaga no Chef, NHK World (programs of food), etc...

If you like old styled japanese food, I recommend Osen with Aoi Yuu. I LOVE the way they cook their food, so healthy, pure, original and so traditional. I don't care much about the main guy side story, but I love the food story, the meaning behind it, the culture it brings and so yummy times.
If people here love japanese food, love watching japanese food programs and specially traditional food, please watch Osen. :thumright:

Gochisousandeshita

Postby Gochisousandeshita » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:19 am

@HP_sauce: You were right.
I myself understood that it was about the shape, not the number of the riceballs,
but still it's always best to have the precise translations. :)

@Dhisashi: Thank you for the suggestion! But I won't be watching this one. :P
It looks like a documentary and the main character is not in the age range that I like
to watch (although he played the funny sensei in Proposal Daisakusen, which is another one of my favorite, and I loved him in it!). Plus, I would always like to see an element of romance in my dramas/doramas which I doubt this dorama can satisfy me in. Hihi :P

@Tails: Their heights are amazing! It's one of the things that make them look so cool both individually and as a couple. I'm short and had always wished I was taller but never have I been this obsessed about heights. Because of them, now I'm just automatically impressed by people's heights!
The things Gochisousan does to me. Haha :P

-By the way, I'm thinking about using a different username. "Gochisousandeshita" takes too long to type when loggin in. How about addressing me as "Gochides" for short? :)

@Kathia_sophia: Thank you as well for your suggestion! I'll make sure to check out the synopsis for Osen. Although I love food and love to watch food dramas/doramas sometimes one just doesn't appeal to me because of other factors and/or...just because. :D

Edit:
You know, I think it's not totally right to say that I love to watch food dramas/doramas.
I definitely love to eat and love to look at delicious-looking foods but I never get into a show just for the food. On the contrary, it's always about whether the characters and their stories hook me, and delicious-looking food would be an much-welcomed bonus.
But I'm touched how you here have taken the time to make recommendations after I (and Tails) said that. Arigatou! :)

P/S: It also feels embarrassing saying I love to watch food shows somehow because I'm such a child and let my mom cook for me. I know that I want to cook for my family in the future, even more after I watched Gochisousan, but right now I just love to be fed without doing any work :P

PP/S: I keep editing and add more stuff. I'm really having so much fun talking with you guys. :D

dhisashi

Postby dhisashi » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:16 am

Gochisousandeshita wrote:Kodoku no Gurume
@Dhisashi: Thank you for the suggestion! But I won't be watching this one. :P
It looks like a documentary and the main character is not in the age range that I like
to watch (although he played the funny sensei in Proposal Daisakusen, which is another one of my favorite, and I loved him in it!). Plus, I would always like to see an element of romance in my dramas/doramas which I doubt this dorama can satisfy me in. Hihi :P

It is far from a documentary. After all it is based on a Manga series. Matsushige Yutaka, the lead, always orders enough for three people and eats it all with such gusto. BUT it is not really a drama. The real star of the series is the various restaurants and different cuisine. Actually each episode stands on its own.

:D

But you would probably like Nobunaga no Chef seaons 1 and 2 better.
The 2008 series "Osen" recommended above is also worth viewing.

:thumright:

Gochisousandeshita

Postby Gochisousandeshita » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:55 pm

It is far from a documentary. After all it is based on a Manga series. Matsushige Yutaka, the lead, always orders enough for three people and eats it all with such gusto. BUT it is not really a drama. The real star of the series is the various restaurants and different cuisine. Actually each episode stands on its own.

@dhisashi: Precisely why it's unappealing to me. :P

-Osen, however, totally looks like something I could enjoy - a sassy leading lady that I could see myself admiring and laughing at, a story incorporating foods that's probably going to be lighthearted as it teaches life lessons, and a fair-looking love interest that seems to be just as goofy a character. Hihi
That's right up my alley even if it won't end up surpassing Gochisousan. Once I tuck Gohisousan away for while before missing it, I'll check out Osen. :D

tekkichan

Postby tekkichan » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:59 pm

thank you so much for continuing this drama

smiley_sunflower

Postby smiley_sunflower » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:17 am

thank you, i love this drama.. :thumright:

JLove

Postby JLove » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:40 am

I just finished this drama, I really loved it. This is only my 2nd asadora and I am starting to think that I love asadora more than the regular 10-11 episode dramas.

Those shorter dramas couldn't satisfy my hunger for elaborate storylines and they often feel rushed and underwhelming. I've watched dramas that I thought would have been better appreciated had it been 2 or 3 more episodes longer. An average American tv drama is about 13 episodes and the story and message was better grasped at that length. 10 episodes always feels rushed even for American dramas.

@Tails Thank you for continuing to sub this drama when it was dropped by the previous subber. I hope you'll continue subbing more dramas. =)

shwetapal

Re: Gochisousan [Eng Subs] (week 5-25) (Complete)

Postby shwetapal » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:48 am

Hey,
Anyone knows if the Gochisousan spin-off which was uploaded at http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=641834&showfiles=1 is being subbed or not..

ayesnoona

Re: Gochisousan [Eng Subs] (week 5-25) (Complete)

Postby ayesnoona » Sun May 01, 2016 10:34 pm

Thank you!!!