http://d-addicts.com
 
Register
 
HOME DRAMAS WIKI STATS HELP (FAQ) SEARCH GROUPS PROFILE PRIVATE MESSAGES LOGIN
      

Why Some Fansubs Didnt Allow Upload To Streaming Sites?


 
Reply to topic    D-Addicts Forum Index -> Fansubbing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
hafizadamOffline
Avatar

Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Total posts: 218
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Age: 25
Gender: Male
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Why Some Fansubs Didnt Allow Upload To Streaming Sites?   Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

just my curiosity..

i didnt do this but some fansub didnt permit upload to Youtube, Veoh, DailyMotion, CrunchyRoll etc..

sorry if someone already ask this but just my curiosity because I still found some of their works there..

_________________

SEEDING: Ghost Mama Sousasen | Nagareboshi | Shinzanmono

Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website 
NonbiriraOffline
Joined: 12 May 2007
Total posts: 177
Location: Japan
Gender: Unknown
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:56 am    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

Please visit With S2's fansubwiki page and read their announcement about this very topic. (It's above the list of subbed dramas.) At the end of this announcement there is a link to Dramabeans's blog which explains the issue in even greater detail.

Wish more people would honor/respect the fansubbers wishes...
Back to top
View user's profile 
NonbiriraOffline
Joined: 12 May 2007
Total posts: 177
Location: Japan
Gender: Unknown
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

OOPS! It's above the list of subbing IN PROGRESS! (Not the list of subbed dramas.)
Back to top
View user's profile 
MisterX
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

Simple:

1) Sharing means partaking without profit. Those streaming sites make money off of things done for fun. Of course those acting like a fansub is the equivalent of holding copyrights over the dramas they subtitled are just fooling themselves, but if you respect the entire sharing community, it goes without saying. Download all you want, share, but Pandora, MnCast, Youtube and the like are just leeches. Of course short clips shouldn't be a problem.
2) Hardsubbed video (which is what softsubbed material becomes when it's uploaded on streaming sites) instantly becomes copyright infringement. And you know how much of a rat's behind DVD/Tv companies care about the fansub mentality et all. It just attracts trouble like honey with bees.
3) Again, that's a sign the one uploading couldn't care less about the effort needed to make those damn 40kb text files.

And anyway... quality on those sites is crap. The Korean ones maybe, but Crunchyroll? It's like going back to the dialup days. "High Quality" being a 130 meg FLV file with screwed up compression.
Back to top
View user's profile 
groink
Avatar

Location: Hawaii
Age: 47
Gender: Male
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Why Some Fansubs Didnt Allow Upload To Streaming Sites?   Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

hafizadam wrote:
i didnt do this but some fansub didnt permit upload to Youtube, Veoh, DailyMotion, CrunchyRoll etc..


Two reasons for me:

1. Un-needed over-exposure of fanworks. I'm actually against Asian dramas expanding larger than it already is. I liked the underground community we had here at D-Addicts since 2003. But the more popular dramas get world-wide, the more recognized they become - and to the wrong people! Now you have TV networks from all the Asian markets searching around the Internet for their shows. Look at Crunchyroll - TBS (Japan network), YA Entertainment (Korean shows) and many other licensees of these works are now searching around for their intellectual properties. We don't need this!!!!! If it weren't for these streaming sites, our community would still be under the radar. It wouldn't affect fansubbing because we already had fansubbing in 2003. These streaming sites are not trying to spread Asian entertainment; they're just trying to profit from it.

2. Enterprising. Crunchyroll recently received US$4.5 million from a venture capitalist. Shinji quit school and is now working on Crunchyroll FULL-TIME - and making a living from it. If it wasn't for the availability of fanworks, he would have NO CONTENT to stream. I can't phantom how companies can build their entire business models around copyright infringement. Even if Crunchyroll shut down ALL copyrighted content, they still have that foundation they built. I'm not about to help this **** in any way!

If you CR fans can't understand this, you're basically p***y-whipped. Or in this case, Shinji-whipped.

--- groink

_________________
1. Always read FAQs for a given forum before posting.
2. Read the first few posts in a topic before posting.
3. Speak using complete English words.
4. The Internet is international. Respect regional and cultural values.
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website 
hafizadamOffline
Avatar

Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Total posts: 218
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Age: 25
Gender: Male
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

thnx for the explaination..
i didnt use Veoh or CrunchyRoll or whateva bcause my streaming sucks, my direct download too..
prefer torrent, although the speed is 1KB/s lol..

_________________

SEEDING: Ghost Mama Sousasen | Nagareboshi | Shinzanmono
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website 
xvannieOffline
Avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Total posts: 67
Location: Californiaaa
Gender: Female
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

i agree with everyone above.
its true the quality isnt the best as well.
some take credit that they subbed it, so, id be mad D:<
Back to top
View user's profile 
battlegirlaiOffline
Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Total posts: 597
Location: Las Vegas
Age: 37
Gender: Female
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

i'm a fansubber but i am not against the growing popularity of asian dramas and movies. i buy licensed works as often as i can (well, the ones i like anyway). the anime fansub community did not die off when anime became mainstream, but it did become a lot harder to do it. there were more things to be careful of, watching to see if the series you are working on gets licensed, worrying about cease and desist letters even for shows that actually haven't been licensed but are only "in discussion" of being licensed, shows being licensed before they are even aired, etc, etc.

(the only thing i really fear about licensing of dramas is if they start english dubbing them....oh god...the horror...i pray daily that they never dub licensed dramas)

streaming sites like youtube also get monitored by foreign tv and movie production companies in efforts to keep their copyrighted materials from being streamed. i've seen many fansub clips being removed from youtube because of copyright issues.

the more frequented streaming sites get, it will start bringing the eye of the people who own the works we sub upon us. and we want as little of that as possible. we are happy to stop subbing if something gets licensed, but we don't want some joe schmoe putting us into the line of fire.
Back to top
View user's profile 
renea2Offline
Joined: 23 Jan 2008
Total posts: 6
Location: USA
Gender: Female
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

i have another point of view on this subject. i think all of these sites, streaming, downloading and most
important subbing have their place. as a non asian who now enjoys kdrama, i have used all of them..
the hardcopied ones in the beginning and now that i have learned to do so i use the soft subs.
I watch and if i like something then i buy it to rewatch. these dvds are not cheap and no one would spend this amount of money on something they had not seen. Most tv programs released on dvd are purchased because the consumer has already seen them and liked them so much they're willing to buy them. if not for internet sites how would the majority of people see these dramas. i understand the concerns about copyright, however the world is a huge market and all these sites are helping to expand the customer base for the companies who sell the dvds.....instead of policing, they should pay u for advertising......lol
Back to top
View user's profile 
renea2Offline
Joined: 23 Jan 2008
Total posts: 6
Location: USA
Gender: Female
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

sorry, forgot the most import thing . thank you subbers for all the hours of enjoyment u have given me and for introducing me to a new and facinating world.
Back to top
View user's profile 
aghrakashiOffline
Joined: 22 Jan 2008
Total posts: 49
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: Female
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

renea2 wrote:
i have another point of view on this subject. i think all of these sites, streaming, downloading and most
important subbing have their place. as a non asian who now enjoys kdrama, i have used all of them..
the hardcopied ones in the beginning and now that i have learned to do so i use the soft subs.
I watch and if i like something then i buy it to rewatch. these dvds are not cheap and no one would spend this amount of money on something they had not seen. Most tv programs released on dvd are purchased because the consumer has already seen them and liked them so much they're willing to buy them. if not for internet sites how would the majority of people see these dramas. i understand the concerns about copyright, however the world is a huge market and all these sites are helping to expand the customer base for the companies who sell the dvds.....instead of policing, they should pay u for advertising......lol
And of course the T.V. companies should pay the fansubbers for their work because without them the majority of people around the world would not know about these dramas. Way to go fansubbers cheers

I agree, as a non-Asian living in the States, I don't get these types of dramas brodcasted over the airways. I first became exposed to these programs from viewing them over streaming sites. And as I became more intrested in these types of dramas I really appreciated the people who put them on said sites. If I really like a program then I of course buy it to watch it again. But if people stop loading video, then fewer people will be exposed to such great progaming and the T.V. companies in Asia would see a decline in the popularity of their programming. Just keep it free and people will buy their work if the drama is good, LOL.
Back to top
View user's profile 
groink
Avatar

Location: Hawaii
Age: 47
Gender: Male
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

renea2 wrote:
i understand the concerns about copyright, however the world is a huge market and all these sites are helping to expand the customer base for the companies who sell the dvds.....instead of policing, they should pay u for advertising......lol

Do you believe we're fansubbing to boost DVD sales? No way, Jose! Once a DVD is released WITH English subtitles, we need to take down the fansub. That's called licensing - where the rights to a TV drama is purchased and marketed in a region that is considered a major marketing hub, and is a member of the Berne Convention. Once a TV drama is licensed, for example in the U.S., they have a right to start enforcing their licensing power and Berne Convention membership by sending out cease/desist letters to anyone who is distributing the TV drama without a license.

Companies like YA Entertainment, KBS America, and many other licensees are now selling English-subbed DVDs, thus KILLING fansubbing. D-Addicts will be required to take down the licensed shows, as well as Crunchyroll and all the other streaming sites. To challenge your theory that streaming boosts DVD sales, it may for some people, but it most certainly KILLS fansubbing for everyone else! One a TV drama is licensed, ANY individual who comes along afterwards and wants to watch My Girl or Goong for the first time MUST purchase the DVD.

A few years ago, many people wanted companies to start releasing English-subbed TV drama DVDS. But they assumed that it would be exactly the same as anime - basically ignore the fansubbing community and at the same time sell the DVDs. They were SOOOOOOOOOO wrong! Where is that "I told you so!" emoticon when I need it? The TV drama community is 1/1000th or more the size of the anime community. Licensees of TV dramas cannot afford to ignore the fansubbing that is occuring. For each download of a fansub that happens, the licensee loses one possible sale of its product.

Sure, streaming will go on despite licensing (Veoh???) But soon enough, even those sites will start receiving those cease/desist letters. NO, we do not want TV dramas to become licensed!!!!!!

--- groink

_________________
1. Always read FAQs for a given forum before posting.
2. Read the first few posts in a topic before posting.
3. Speak using complete English words.
4. The Internet is international. Respect regional and cultural values.
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website 
battlegirlaiOffline
Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Total posts: 597
Location: Las Vegas
Age: 37
Gender: Female
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

yes, lots of people get introduced to dramas thru streaming. but i'd say a majority of those people would have found out about dramas and started downloading and watching them even without streaming sites.

would we like more people to watch what we sub? sure. do we want to advertise our illegal activities in the faces of the people who own what we work on in order to get more viewers? NO WAY.

from the standpoint of a fansubber, the cons of streaming sites far far far far far far outweigh the pros. and while we appreciate that people like streaming sites, call me selfish, but i think what fansubbers do is way more important that what people who upload our hard work to streaming sites against our wishes do.

i think the best form of "payment" that a fansubber can get for spending lots of their time and effort subbing is for the people who watch their shows to actually spend a little time and effort downloading these shows. lots of our effort for just a little bit of yours, ya know? i think its a very very small and reasonable price that watchers should pay to benefit from what we do.

EDIT: Licensing is not killing fansubbing. its stopping the digital distribution of the licensed titles. so people have to rent or buy licensed shows... money? spend? what? omg! the horror! its the end of the world!
Back to top
View user's profile 
chasen8888Offline
Joined: 05 May 2007
Total posts: 65
Gender: Unknown
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

In my case I have to say its a toss up a somewhat hard one at. I do understand the fansubbers policy and agree with it, yet I would not be introduced or learnt about Asian dramas, culture, sites and become a big Asian drama addict if it wasn't for those streaming sites. Those streaming sites allow me to appreciate Asian dramas and has introduced me to a whole new world of entertainment. I see their purpose and usefulness.

However, we do have to be considerate of the fansubbers request of not uploading and appreciate the large amount of work they do in bringing us these shows for our own "private" enjoyment for free.
Back to top
View user's profile 
groink
Avatar

Location: Hawaii
Age: 47
Gender: Male
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

battlegirlai wrote:
EDIT: Licensing is not killing fansubbing. its stopping the digital distribution of the licensed titles. so people have to rent or buy licensed shows... money? spend? what? omg! the horror! its the end of the world!

Totally agree with this.

_________________
1. Always read FAQs for a given forum before posting.
2. Read the first few posts in a topic before posting.
3. Speak using complete English words.
4. The Internet is international. Respect regional and cultural values.
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website 
renea2Offline
Joined: 23 Jan 2008
Total posts: 6
Location: USA
Gender: Female
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

my post is pro fansubbing and d-addicts but it took me a good while to learn how to download and co ordinate the sub and avi/ental file. i spent hours trying to follow the guides given on line. however either the player did not recognize the fomat,the plug in downloaded as a separate program, or i lost where i had put the file. i am not completely ignorant where computers are concerned but this took me where i had never gone before...lol i finally learned on a dare i say it "streaming" site i downloaded vlc player and it works for everything.
my point is that the market for dvds has to be created. the distributors should realize this. People normally speak the language of the dramas they are interested in and can watch directly from the tv sites. the rest of the world does not even know that these shows exist. So the dvd distributors should be paying you guys to translate more. (you're better than their subbers anyway.)This would increase their market. I don't believe that they are losing sales from your site but are gaining them.. they just don't see the big picture.
(please don't be offended....this is written tongue -in-cheek.)
Back to top
View user's profile 
battlegirlaiOffline
Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Total posts: 597
Location: Las Vegas
Age: 37
Gender: Female
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

i see the fun in your comment, but its still not a good idea to even joke about it because some people will not comprehend that its a joke. while we might drum up business for them before they license it, after they license it we are only doing them harm by continuing to distribute it.

but thats just the people who license the shows for distribution. the people we ALWAYS will cause trouble for are the companies who produced the shows in their respective countries. they don't want even subtitled copies of their shows streaming because they want the people in their own countries to go out and buy dvds or even to watch them on tv because thats how they get paid. if the people in korea or japan are going to veoh or youtube to watch shows instead of watching them on tv or buying or renting dvds, then the companies are losing out on their own turf.
Back to top
View user's profile 
groink
Avatar

Location: Hawaii
Age: 47
Gender: Male
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

renea2 wrote:
my point is that the market for dvds has to be created. the distributors should realize this. People normally speak the language of the dramas they are interested in and can watch directly from the tv sites. the rest of the world does not even know that these shows exist. So the dvd distributors should be paying you guys to translate more. (you're better than their subbers anyway.)This would increase their market. I don't believe that they are losing sales from your site but are gaining them.. they just don't see the big picture.

I'm a linear thinker, in case people haven't figured it by now. When it comes to marketing, I don't believe that one person watching a stream will turn into 10 DVD sales. Optimists believe this. I don't. One would be lucky to gain one DVD sale for every 100 streams.

As for the DVDs itself, I was referring to English-subbed DVDs. Even in Japan, DVDs of Japanese TV dramas are available for sale. And they do sell. The DVDs even excelled fansubbing before HDTV captures were available. So I'm totally for DVDs of dramas sold in their markets or origin. However, it is a known fact that if these same DVDs, with English subtitles added, are sold outside of Japan, they will be cheaper than the DVDs in Japan. You'll then have the Japanese reaching out to the U.S. market to purchase the likes of Orange Days or any of the NHK TV dramas. This is IMHO the single most important reason why the Japanese TV networks are against licensing their products to companies for the purpose of subbing and releasing them on DVD. Why are the Koreans licensing their shows? They have their reasons, and I don't bother wasting brain cells trying to figure out a culture I am not familiar with.

Also, fansubbers, for one strange reason or another, do not want to pursue fansubbing professionally. I once brought this up with neonkinpatsu when she was into fansubbing, and we never came up with a logical reason. I'm quite sure that the likes of YA Entertainment and other companies have knocked the doors of famous fansubbers looking to tap into their talents and award them with money. And, I would not be surprised if a few of the fansubbers here indeed sub professionally - they just don't publicize it. But still, for most fansubbers the thought of subbing for money is prostitution.

But by no means would converting amateur subbers to professionals increase revenue for the licensees. I truly believe that if somehow the Internet were to shut down, and the only way these leechers can get ahold of English-subbed shows was to pay for it, many of them would just switch their interests to something else. It is easy for someone to say, "Sure, I'd pay for it!" because in all honesty it is easy to bring up hypothetical scenerios and answer positively because in the back of their minds, they KNOW FOR SURE that day will NEVER come. Rather, I'm an pessimist... I think most people are into things free because the things are free!

--- groink

_________________
1. Always read FAQs for a given forum before posting.
2. Read the first few posts in a topic before posting.
3. Speak using complete English words.
4. The Internet is international. Respect regional and cultural values.
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website 
battlegirlaiOffline
Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Total posts: 597
Location: Las Vegas
Age: 37
Gender: Female
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

groink wrote:
However, it is a known fact that if these same DVDs, with English subtitles added, are sold outside of Japan, they will be cheaper than the DVDs in Japan. You'll then have the Japanese reaching out to the U.S. market to purchase the likes of Orange Days or any of the NHK TV dramas. This is IMHO the single most important reason why the Japanese TV networks are against licensing their products to companies for the purpose of subbing and releasing them on DVD. Why are the Koreans licensing their shows? They have their reasons, and I don't bother wasting brain cells trying to figure out a culture I am not familiar with.


actually, japanese companies already encountered this problem with anime dvd boxsets...the english translated ones are far far far cheaper than their japanese counterparts, and to combat this, i believe i heard that companies and websites that sell english boxsets are prohibited from selling/shipping to certain countries. i don't know if they actually enforce this, but i haven't heard about any problems since then, so i'm guessing it must have been effective enough.

Quote:
Also, fansubbers, for one strange reason or another, do not want to pursue fansubbing professionally.


so far, no companies have offered to anyone that i know of, but if they have, more power to them!

Quote:
But still, for most fansubbers the thought of subbing for money is prostitution.


money for fansubbing, yes...money for subbing for professional purposes, probably not as the difference is vast.
Back to top
View user's profile 
renea2Offline
Joined: 23 Jan 2008
Total posts: 6
Location: USA
Gender: Female
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

i see your point and tend to agree. the last thing i want to do is cause trouble for the board. i enjoy my dramas too much.
Back to top
View user's profile 
Ladymercury
Avatar

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

I'm not truly concerned about the finacial aspect of stream sites because in the end someone is making money somewhere. There's always gonna be some guy out there selling our fansubs on DVDs on ebay claiming to be " Perfect English Subs " with really pretty box art.

My personal reason why I support this is because I frankly don't want to get caught by the police. Fansubbing mass distributes a file and that's the core reason as to why the police are cracking down on file sharers. Subbing shows and having them seen on stream sites brings too much attention to the sub groups and we'd be the targeted source for distribution not the fan that uploaded the video on a stream site.

I love to provide fansubs to people but I don't want to go to jail for it either.

_________________
lol, japan - drama reviews | sbk fansubs
Back to top
View user's profile 
loveless_soul
Avatar

Gender: Female
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

How many times has this topic come up? =/ Once too many. There will always be newbies to fansubbing wondering why fansubbers don't allow their work to be uploaded for online streaming & do we have to go through this every time? Might as well make an official thread for it... -___-"
I have to admit I first learned bout "online" drama through youtube when there wasn't the whole licensing issue.
Before that I had always watched my drama on DVD or TV but after learning about this I don't watch it on DVD any more. Why? Just b/c it's free.
After a lot of stuff, I learned about d-addicts and now download shows from here to watch, mostly for Kdrama.
I still go on veoh b/c there's TVB series uploaded there that's not really popular here so yeah.

There will always be people selling fansubbers' work and well, there isn't much to do unless everyone decided to stop subbing... highly impossible.
Fansubbers' works are better than the ones released by the company... I find the translation is more accurate or at least better.

Someone said they live in the States and they can't watch these shows on TV? Wrong. They are on TV. There are Asian channels and they show Kdrama & Cdrama as well as Jdrama but I haven't watch watch a Jdrama yet, only saw it briefly.
I still remember when Goong S aired on TV last year just when WITH S2 almost finished the series. Before that was Goong... I actually watched Goong on TV that time really late at night b/c my internet connection was bad back then.
Maybe you should try to find the channels that offer these shows b/c they do.

_________________

Kim BumBeating heart
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website 
Ladymercury
Avatar

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

loveless_soul wrote:
Someone said they live in the States and they can't watch these shows on TV? Wrong. They are on TV. There are Asian channels and they show Kdrama & Cdrama as well as Jdrama but I haven't watch watch a Jdrama yet, only saw it briefly.
I still remember when Goong S aired on TV last year just when WITH S2 almost finished the series. Before that was Goong... I actually watched Goong on TV that time really late at night b/c my internet connection was bad back then.
Maybe you should try to find the channels that offer these shows b/c they do.


Not really, maybe in areas where there's a large Asian population -- Ie, Hawaii, SolCal Area, Seattle, New York.... But not everywhere. AZN TV, which was the Intl. Channel (how I found out about J-dramas), finally went off the air when Comcast pulled the plug. Excuse, not enough funds and support.

I find that odd when 60% of that station was infomercials.

Anyway, AZN was the only station dedicated to Asian meda that was broadcasted nationwide and that station died. Sad, very sad.

_________________
lol, japan - drama reviews | sbk fansubs
Back to top
View user's profile 
Renoa HeartillyOffline
Avatar

Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Total posts: 228
Location: Saudi Arabia
Gender: Female
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

well i think its a good thing that there's a thing as drama fansubbing o_o i'd never imagine our tv broadcasting something like zettai kareshi or last friends, if i could i would have bought the actual DVD when they are out, but they dont get sold here and i can't buy off the internet yet.
whats worse is that some channels here started 'dubbing' a korean drama in a not-so-popular dialect that literally killed the show (to me at least) and if thats the way they intend to stop the fansubbing and make us like and buy the drama, i'd so get turned off asian drama o_o
i mean after being introduced to anime and j-drama, the image of western and local shows and cartoons just crumbled and flew away, there's just no competition and if that was to be taken away, i think i'd loose an important point of inspiration in my life o_o <- a d-addict
i appreciate the work of fansubbers, its hard and they harassed to hurry up about things they do for fun or out of kindness and free time, and in the end most dont even get a 'thank you'. so thank you fansubbers (bow)
i'm surprised about some tv channels like Japan, how do they intend to sell their drama world-wide if they dont have international channels and arent advertising the dramas they make? i mean its already being broadcasted for free on tv, whats the fansub group is doing is letting others watch it too (then they added subtitles so said others can understand) isnt it the same as watching it on tv while knowing japanese? on the other hand, Korea here has channels that broadcast dramas subtitled in english and arabic, so its understandable. but its not the same *shrugs* i dunno
sorry for the long post xD its been on my mind for a while now~
Back to top
View user's profile 
ethiddaOffline
Avatar

Fansubber
Joined: 16 Feb 2007
Total posts: 625
Gender: Female
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

Renoa Heartilly wrote:
i mean its already being broadcasted for free on tv, whats the fansub group is doing is letting others watch it too (then they added subtitles so said others can understand) isnt it the same as watching it on tv while knowing japanese?


It's actually quite different. TV stations make money by airing ads during the shows, and the more viewers they can boast of, the more expensive it is to advertise on that channel at that time. That's why tv stations really, really, really care about viewership. If you watch it somewhere else instead of on TV when it airs, the channel IS losing money, because it is losing viewers it can boast of having when selling those time slots for ads.

Also, the shows ARE international, even if they don't make it in the English speaking countries. Most other Asian countries will buy the shows that do well. International just means multiple countries, it doesn't have include an English-speaking country. However, in places like Hong Kong, for example, people can read both English and Chinese subtitles, and companies would want to push the show--which might already be subbed in Chinese--and therefore forbid English subtitles for the same show.

In short, companies have very legitimate reasons for not wanting fansubs to be distributed. They are out there to make money, even if it's not immediately clear how they're doing it--and distributing copies of their drama for free does not let them make any money.

_________________

Thank you, Zahra Wub and Puppet... tehee
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website 
karin-chanOffline
Joined: 19 Jan 2007
Total posts: 371
Location: Your bed
Age: 27
Gender: Female
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Some Fansubs Didnt Allow Upload To Streaming Sites?   Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

groink wrote:


2. Enterprising. Crunchyroll recently received US$4.5 million from a venture capitalist. Shinji quit school and is now working on Crunchyroll FULL-TIME - and making a living from it.


OMG!!! i dint know this... im crazy with crunchyroll coz i want to earn CR points, but then again i didnt know Shinji is making shitloads of money!!! UNFAIR!!!!

_________________
WATCH JAPANESE DRAMA SHOULD I WATCH?
Back to top
View user's profile 
Ayumi01Offline
Avatar

Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Total posts: 22
Gender: Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

The elitism in this thread is giving me a headache. Sad

Either way, we're working with COPY RIGHTED MATERIAL. For ANYONE to attempt to dictate what is done with this copy righted material that was never yours in the first place is extremely hypocritical.

In fact.... You sound like the RIAA. Which is even MORE hypocritical.

And I have fan subbed myself. I took a hiatus due to my heavy work flow but now I'm starting a small project on my own, so I know damn well how hard it is to translate/sub shows. This isn't coming from some fan who just wants subs. This is coming from a fan subber herself.
Back to top
View user's profile 
battlegirlaiOffline
Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Total posts: 597
Location: Las Vegas
Age: 37
Gender: Female
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

its not elitism or hypocrisy.

its pure self-preservation.

after all the years of seeing anime groups being pressured by companies with C&D letters and threats of prosecution, its hardly hypocritical to want to keep ourselves under the radar for as long as possible.

besides that, we do the work (i know you claim you've done it too, and thats all well and good and you can decide what you wish to do with your fansubs, but just because we don't agree doesn't make us elitist or hypocrites...it just means we don't agree) and we want people to watch it...not profit from it. we don't profit, they shouldn't profit. its that simple. if we profited from it and then demanded that others don't THEN we'd be hypocrites.
Back to top
View user's profile 
Ayumi01Offline
Avatar

Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Total posts: 22
Gender: Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

battlegirlai wrote:
its not elitism or hypocrisy.

its pure self-preservation.

after all the years of seeing anime groups being pressured by companies with C&D letters and threats of prosecution, its hardly hypocritical to want to keep ourselves under the radar for as long as possible.

besides that, we do the work (i know you claim you've done it too, and thats all well and good and you can decide what you wish to do with your fansubs, but just because we don't agree doesn't make us elitist or hypocrites...it just means we don't agree) and we want people to watch it...not profit from it. we don't profit, they shouldn't profit. its that simple. if we profited from it and then demanded that others don't THEN we'd be hypocrites.


Say/think/do whatever you like.

I still think that it's hypocritical to tell others what to do with copy righted material that's NOT yours. Period.

You decide WTF you want to do with your subs, but I had to state my opinion. Because I think this elitism (and it is elitism) is bogus.
Back to top
View user's profile 
AkumaXOffline
Avatar

Moderator
Joined: 19 Apr 2006
Total posts: 1234
Gender: Unknown
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

the fansub content we created is intellectual property that belongs to us, the fansubbers

it should be up to us to decide where we want our content distributed

and yes, working with copyrighted material is already illegal
other people can go ahead and post the RAWS wherever they see fit, because they do not belong to any of us

but posting our translations without our consent is something we do not approve of
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website 
three-ple-zOffline
Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Total posts: 147
Location: Toronto, Canada
Age: 32
Gender: Male
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

These things are inevitable. Piracy and Copyright Infringement has been violated since the dawn of time when it was even conceived. I, personally, have given up on protecting my so-called rights to subs I personally do, because no matter how much we try, one way or another, what we are doing is also copyright infringement.

So people making money off my fansubs, with my hardwork and time spent on something that is done freely, I think I'll rather accept it and be done with it. I mean, if I were any better at business, I'd make money off my own fansubs. But that's not what fansubs are about.

Fansubbing, I feel, is more about the willingness to put in effort and hardwork into something that will never have any returns, because it is fun to work on something for free and have people appreciate our works. When you lose that feeling and it becomes more of a "I own this and everyone else should be grateful to me" kind of feeling, I think you as a fansubber should rethink why you are fansubbing in the first place.

If you do notice, a majority of the translators just don't bother with the community, and just go by their daily lives translating dramas without having a care in the world, simply doing it because they enjoy it. And for me, being a translator and a project lead, I hardly even come to d-addicts. The only reason I come here is to download my raws, update my status, post my subs, and I'm gone. Once in a while I come on to read the thank you notes from the subbing thread, and reply to some posts like this one.

Anyways, cheers. Hope you guys enjoy our hardwork, and all the thank you notes are more than worth the effort to continue translating and subbing dramas. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile 
kandieloliOffline
Avatar

Joined: 15 Jun 2007
Total posts: 85
Location: Florida
Age: 23
Gender: Female
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

Once fansubbers put their work on the net they know the consequences and actions towards doing this.

i love the hard work, the consideration, but im not gonna lie ill watch streaming, also!

and yea people earning money on fansubbers and their hard work is truly wrong.

_________________
TV watching:?? Goggle eyes Crying Sad Goggle eyes

Wub Mr. Green Tongue w00t Goggle eyes thumright Crazy
Mr. Green Wub
Back to top
View user's profile 
phantom1019Offline
Joined: 22 Sep 2005
Total posts: 26
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Why Some Fansubs Didnt Allow Upload To Streaming Sites?   Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

here is the reason why and if you want to know more you can search "fansubber and industry discussion" Alot of info about why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ctvypxv2M4


hafizadam wrote:
just my curiosity..

i didnt do this but some fansub didnt permit upload to Youtube, Veoh, DailyMotion, CrunchyRoll etc..

sorry if someone already ask this but just my curiosity because I still found some of their works there..
Back to top
View user's profile 
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    D-Addicts Forum Index -> Fansubbing All times are GMT - 1 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum