http://d-addicts.com

Register

HOME DRAMAS WIKI STATS HELP (FAQ) SEARCH GROUPS PROFILE PRIVATE MESSAGES LOGIN

Best subtitling software poll

Reply to topic    D-Addicts Forum Index -> Fansubbing -> Fansub Mentoring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clemensOffline
Total posts: 16
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Best subtitling software poll   Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am relatively a beginner to subtitling and I have been mainly using Jubler, although at times I am frustrated with it.
I would like to start a poll (there is no specific option in this forum, but I suppose a thread should do just as fine or even better).
It would be nice if as many of you who do subtitling could post the name of their subtitler of choice and briefly mention the good and the bad points.
If using more than one software for different parts of the work, more than one choice for the poll is fine.
It would be nice to follow this standard

1) SOFTWARE NAME (task name if necessary):
G(ood): bla bla bla
NG: bla bla bal

2) SOFTWARE NAME (second task name):
G:
NG:

If you agree with someone else's choices, just copy and paste their text (still, you can add other comments if you wish).

Cheers

Puppet PrincessOffline

Total posts: 2286
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

The only subbers I know who use jubler are mac users and that was because aegisub had not finished developing their software for macs. I thought they had finally released the mac version though.

Either way, aegisub is the best and most advanced. It is designed with fansubbing in mind.
Other people might tell you DivXLand media subtitler or Subtitle workshop are good but they are pretty crappy in comparison to aegisubs features and ease of use. Aegisub also has a very detail manual to explain how to use all the features.

Dramatic and Cinematic
clemensOffline
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.
Although you probably are right, it does not mean that everyone thinks as you do. I just read recently the post of a guy who, after considering the various options, opted for Virtualsubsync. If I don't remember wrongly, he did so because it allows to see the wav file and because extra commands can easily be custom added.
The aim of this poll is exactly this, to have more precise data (and statistics) on usage, and understand the reasons behind people's choices.
I really hope this thread does not die so fast.
All the best
Puppet PrincessOffline

Total posts: 2286
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

He probably didn't do as much research as he thinks he did, since aegisub does audio waves too.
Plus it works with lua and avs scripts so you can get it to do a lot of things it isn't programmed to.

While a scattered amount of people use other programs, Aegisub is the standard program among drama fansubbers as well as anime fansubbers. I must conclude there is a reason for this.

Dramatic and Cinematic
mannie511Offline
Total posts: 45
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

Aegisub all the way!

I sub mostly music videos and it's so easy to use, especially when you can look at the audio waves too.

I used to use VisualSubSync first to get the proper timings before I import into Aegisub, but now I use Aegisub for everything~

I agree with Puppet Princess, Aegisub was designed for Fansubbing!!!

I
clemensOffline
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

I guess, then, that the poll has lost meaning. Aegisub is the winner.
Thank you for the advice, this piece of software is really cool.
All the best
Engelchen18Offline

Fansubber
Total posts: 486
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

I use Subtitle workshop xD

Good to translate and you can input the video file to check your subs ^^

but I will try Aegisub ^^

SunRise: Deutsche Subs SunRise Wikipage
ericfOffline
Fansubber
Total posts: 330
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

I'll also chime in and say Aegisub is the program to use.
I have heard of a case where someone was unable to get it to work on Windows Vista but I've never had any trouble getting it to work. I've used it on 98, XP and Vista.

I used to use a couple of other programs but they didn't let me see the audio wave at the same time as the video.
Since you can change a lot of the settings for audio (how it's viewed), I think it's the best for timing subtitles to audio.

Some videos don't work well with Aegisub, but it's not primarily a video program so I don't have too many problems with that. I think I could get them to work better if I could write Avisynth scripts (better than I can now).

In short: Aegisub is the way to go if you need to sub something.

ericf
clemensOffline
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.
I have been playing with Aegisub on WIndows and Linux without problems anyhow, when trying it on a mac, I wasn't able to input the text in Japanese. Anyone got the same problem?
Cheers.
jocutusOffline

Total posts: 340
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

I'm using Virtualsubsync. And I like it.

emma-ba

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject:    Post Rating: 1 Reply with quote

I like Subtitle Edit. I'll admit though I haven't tried any others. It was the first one I came across, it was easy to use and does everything I need.
Keiko1981Offline

Total posts: 5335
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

1. Subtitles Workshop for typing up/editing subtitles. (It just has to do with the fact that I see the text easier in this program)
2. After that timing and minor editing in Aegisub.

kiramethystOffline

Total posts: 59
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

clemens wrote:
Thanks for the replies.
I have been playing with Aegisub on WIndows and Linux without problems anyhow, when trying it on a mac, I wasn't able to input the text in Japanese. Anyone got the same problem?
Cheers.

I have exactly the same problem. Even after 3 years the problem still has not been solved. In fact, while the Mac version 2.1.9 is able to open my Japanese srt file, the latest 3.0 versions cannot even read the file. I get an error message every time I tried.

I have tried Jubler before but it isn't as user-friendly as Aegisub. However, now that I don't have access to a Windows computer, this has gotten quite frustrating.
dhisashiOffline

Total posts: 938
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject:    Post Rating: 0 Reply with quote

kiramethyst wrote:
clemens wrote:
Thanks for the replies.
Cheers.

I have exactly the same problem. Even after 3 years the problem still has not been solved. In fact, while the Mac version 2.1.9 is able to open my Japanese srt file, the latest 3.0 versions cannot even read the file. I get an error message every time I tried.

I have tried Jubler before but it isn't as user-friendly as Aegisub. However, now that I don't have access to a Windows computer, this has gotten quite frustrating.

I use Aegisub on an iMac running MAC OS X 10.6.8 and another iMac running 10.8.
You have to make sure that your Japanese fonts are loaded for use by your MAC.

Also use Aegisub 3.0.4. - their latest version for MAC still has too many bugs. But Aegisub 3.0.4. works like a charm.

Smile
Reply to topic    D-Addicts Forum Index -> Fansubbing -> Fansub Mentoring All times are GMT - 1 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: